Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-30-2022, 10:19 PM   #121
slunken
Virgo

big if trying to write a good song since TGBK but still can't

Old 09-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #122
slunken
Virgo

bill's washed up. he's finished.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:53 AM   #123
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The artwork for this pod is dogshit.

Why is so much of the art from this era cringe images of a bald man ("it's a character") with shit smeared on his forehead. You don't have a third eye, Billy. Your music is largely about fucking nothing.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #124
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I have some questions.

* Is this being edited to delete all silences? If not is Bill on fucking speed? Sounds like Youtube jumpcut BS.
* Bill actually sounds like a pro at this format, kind of shocking. He could definitely do more podcasting with a legit co-host.
* That said, the hosts are a terrible choice. They just bootlick Bill the whole time. Good podcasts have a co-host that is somewhat contrary to each other.
* Why are there 5 minute commercial breaks? Fucking wild.
* I do not believe any of this trilogy narrative. Even Jimmy couldn't sell it to be real. I don't even think Shiny was a character until 6 months ago. I also don't believe Zero was a character. The concept is pretty lame to be honest.
* Overall I like the format and the idea of doing this for a new album, just don't believe he's being truthful about this 30 year trilogy BS. Especially the Machine part. Machine was just an album, then a half-assed followup of b-sides right?

love you guys, have a great night.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:01 AM   #125
Copperpot5
Demi-God

Old 10-03-2022, 01:04 AM   #126
Copperpot5
Demi-God

Old 10-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #127
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
I have some questions.

* Is this being edited to delete all silences? If not is Bill on fucking speed? Sounds like Youtube jumpcut BS.
* Bill actually sounds like a pro at this format, kind of shocking. He could definitely do more podcasting with a legit co-host.
* That said, the hosts are a terrible choice. They just bootlick Bill the whole time. Good podcasts have a co-host that is somewhat contrary to each other.
* Why are there 5 minute commercial breaks? Fucking wild.
* I do not believe any of this trilogy narrative. Even Jimmy couldn't sell it to be real. I don't even think Shiny was a character until 6 months ago. I also don't believe Zero was a character. The concept is pretty lame to be honest.
* Overall I like the format and the idea of doing this for a new album, just don't believe he's being truthful about this 30 year trilogy BS. Especially the Machine part. Machine was just an album, then a half-assed followup of b-sides right?

love you guys, have a great night.
I agree with all of that. Bill does sound professional in the podcast format but he needs to slow the fuck down. He speaks so fast that it is anxiety inducing to listen to. The hosts are awful. The most canned bs ass kisser radio DJ types imaginable. I don’t believe any of the narrative bs either. It’s all revisionist history on his part. He even said that MCIS was about as much of a concept album as the White Album back in 95’. Machina did seem to an attempt at an actual concept album but it seemed to be incomplete and botched.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #128
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I am podcast

Old 10-03-2022, 02:37 AM   #129
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
While I agree with all of your points - who are those other hosts again?! - this one just makes the podcast painful to me.

I haven't listened to the Jimmy episode yet, but that poor Tommy sap in the second episode got a few shots fired right at him when Billy asked those questions like "So, you've been in the studio for all three now - and it was clear to you that these were all connected, right? That I was writing as Zero or Glass or Shiny or whatever the entire time... RIGHT? RIGHT, TOMMY?!?!"

At NO point in the MCIS tour cycle did he ever reference Zero as a character. It was a shirt. The only quote I ever saw (somewhat recently, actually) was something to the tune of "so I shaved my head and emblazoned it across my chest, I was a fucking zero, a nobody" - can't find the exact quote currently.

And at NO point did he ever connect MCIS and Machina back in like 2000.

And how does Zero (MCIS?) and Glass (Machina?) and Shiny (Shiny AND Atum?!) have any connection at all? Removing the first one entirely, even trying to connect Machina (ancient Vasily style stuff) and Atum/this spaceship stuff ("All enclosed in a space age mylar bag") have any connection at all?

MCIS made me the guy I am today. Machina is great and holds a super special spot in my heart. But I don't buy any of this trilogy talk for the life of me.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:05 AM   #130
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I totally caught that too when his friend Tommy was on. lol

Old 10-03-2022, 05:14 AM   #131
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

lmao isn't the same guy who filmed Billy scouting locations for Madame Zuzu's?

Billy slurpy slurping a bowl of soup in a empty lot, winter coat on and that poor fella filming the whole scene.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:47 AM   #132
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

He shaved his head cos he was going bald, not because he was creating a character. Saying that, BC did become a lot more recognisable with the bald head than he was with the short back and sides, or the Gish hair.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #133
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
While I agree with all of your points - who are those other hosts again?! - this one just makes the podcast painful to me.

I haven't listened to the Jimmy episode yet, but that poor Tommy sap in the second episode got a few shots fired right at him when Billy asked those questions like "So, you've been in the studio for all three now - and it was clear to you that these were all connected, right? That I was writing as Zero or Glass or Shiny or whatever the entire time... RIGHT? RIGHT, TOMMY?!?!"

At NO point in the MCIS tour cycle did he ever reference Zero as a character. It was a shirt. The only quote I ever saw (somewhat recently, actually) was something to the tune of "so I shaved my head and emblazoned it across my chest, I was a fucking zero, a nobody" - can't find the exact quote currently.

And at NO point did he ever connect MCIS and Machina back in like 2000.

And how does Zero (MCIS?) and Glass (Machina?) and Shiny (Shiny AND Atum?!) have any connection at all? Removing the first one entirely, even trying to connect Machina (ancient Vasily style stuff) and Atum/this spaceship stuff ("All enclosed in a space age mylar bag") have any connection at all?

MCIS made me the guy I am today. Machina is great and holds a super special spot in my heart. But I don't buy any of this trilogy talk for the life of me.
It is a marketing ploy, and i find it really insulting and offensive

We get it, u can’t sell your music anymore b/c nobody has given a shit since 1998, so of course u need an angle. But don’t go so low as to try and attach this boring dumb bullshit you’re doing now to the music that means so much to us

Old 10-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #134
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Jeez, we all know bill wants to milk hardcore fans... Inventing a connection, and tellibg us that there should be a connection between scheiisi, zero and glassy? Cmon , what a joke.....marketing marketing,

Old 10-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #135
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Searle's thought experiment begins with this hypothetical premise: suppose that artificial intelligence research has succeeded in constructing a computer that behaves as if it understands Chinese. It takes Chinese characters as input and, by following the instructions of a computer program, produces other Chinese characters, which it presents as output. Suppose, says Searle, that this computer performs its task so convincingly that it comfortably passes the Turing test: it convinces a human Chinese speaker that the program is itself a live Chinese speaker. To all of the questions that the person asks, it makes appropriate responses, such that any Chinese speaker would be convinced that they are talking to another Chinese-speaking human being.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #136
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

But is anyone giving a shit, that's the question. Beyond the album being announced, have any critics / blogs / websites / podcasts / shows etc made any reference to the whole "concept"?

Old 10-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #137
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I totally caught that too when his friend Tommy was on. lol
The Tommy one was the last one I listened to, and it was brutal. At one point, Billy was demanding Tommy to tell everyone how "normal" Billy is when Billy isn't playing a character.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #138
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Imaging blaming every shitty thing you have done in your life on the fact you were playing a character? Then rounding up "friends" to push that narrative.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #139
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

All people on the podcast kiss bills butthole...
Well, even garson was saying how great the instrumental atum is......cmon.... This is nothing special...logic's stock synths with a floydy guitar solo

Old 10-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #140
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oof

Last edited by houseofglass11 : 01-07-2024 at 05:15 AM.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #141
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
But is anyone giving a shit, that's the question. Beyond the album being announced, have any critics / blogs / websites / podcasts / shows etc made any reference to the whole "concept"?
Oh they will in the reviews

Old 10-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #142
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Is any of this worth a listen for entertainment purposes, like so bad it’s compelling? Or is it purely irritating/disheartening like everything else big willie does these days

Old 10-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #143
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Is any of this worth a listen for entertainment purposes, like so bad it’s compelling? Or is it purely irritating/disheartening like everything else big willie does these days
The parts discussing the new songs are fucking hilarious… when they get to the old songs it borders on frustrating but then he’ll throw a decent tidbit in there to just barely make it worth the listener’s while

Old 10-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #144
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I have some questions.

* Is this being edited to delete all silences? Sounds like Youtube jumpcut BS.
obviously

it's produced by I Heart Radio

Old 10-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #145
slunken
Virgo

also bill is an old dinosaur so he probably thinks he's on live radio so he's trying hard too

Old 10-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #146
slunken
Virgo

all the old geezers that try to do podcasts do this

Old 10-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #147
slunken
Virgo

they think it has to be zippy tight radio with NO DEAD AIR

Old 10-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #148
slunken
Virgo

i mean you can hear how phony it is just in the voices of the other two guys who have CLASSIC radio personality. constantly setting up the next story, resetting the atmosphere, etc as if someone JUST TUNED IN in the middle of it

Old 10-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #149
slunken
Virgo

if you guys thought I was bad about series posting before - i keep getting logged out again so i gotta make the posts fast and short. NO TIME TO THINK.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #150
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

If it wasn’t for this podcast we wouldn’t have “ART BREAK.”

That alone is worth the price of admission.