Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #61
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy taking musical pointers from Catherine is certainly a take.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #62
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Billy taking musical pointers from Catherine is certainly a take.
Yeah....certainly no record of that...

Since you seem to be a casual fan (trademark by Monte), I might suggest listening to Gish, Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie. After that, you can go into the deeper cuts...

Quote:
As I am good friends with our space mates (the local band) Catherine, I often stick around for their rehearsals to check out what they are working on and offer unsolicited advice…I notice that in this tight room, they sound very like some kind of jet taking off when they play…the feeling is very exciting, and being the sound whore that I am, I not so slyly interrogate them about how they create this dizzying effect…they all point sheepishly to these little silver boxes on the ground, and tell me that’s about it…their vintage pedal, invented by The Electro Harmonix Company, is a simple old school distortion/fuzz device called ‘The Big Muff Pi’…manufactured back in the 60’s and 70’s, it comes in a brushed metal frame, with cheap black knobs (the later models are more easily recognized by the big red Pi symbol stamped on the faceplate)…they sell used for about $75-100, and there are only three critical settings: volume, tone, and sustain (the volume sends the amount of signal to the amp, the tone the amount of bass vs. treble, and the sustain basically means how much fuzz overload you are going to get)…I notice that when the boys play the space hums with an electrical energy that shoots thru my bones and rattles my teeth…it’s as if this room is made for this sound…they tell me that the reason they like using the pedal is the deep booming sludge it makes, as the sound within collapses from the intensified pressure, creating a bigger presence when they rock hard (and also managing to hide a few inconsistencies in their playing)…the affect is immediate, as they suddenly appear to me to be a much more dangerous combo than I last remember…somehow the alchemy of the concrete walls, the cool air, and this dumb little pedal make the band sound like God himself is coming down from the heavens…which of course means I have to go get one for myself…

It is almost impossible to describe the intensity of the practice space when the Pumpkins are playing at full tilt with The Big Muffs cranked…the basic dimensions of the room are around 25ft x 15ft, with the basic band circle smack in the middle of the shoebox…when you have possibly the loudest drummer in the world playing with passion and power (not to mention about 10 crash cymbals slicing the air) vs. 2 100watt Marshall half-stacks and one 400watt SVT bass amp, you’ve got your basic dull roar fully in hand…add this to that the fact that we are playing in a stone bunker with little or no soundproofing and you’ve got yourself a decent headache blast…but what really puts these tunes over the top, what makes the whole thing ring, and what discreetly pours our liquid brew from sonic anecdote into our own rock and roll riot, is switching to this almost forgotten device…

Old 09-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #63
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

REKT

Old 09-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #64
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

They heavily influenced Billy by telling him a certain type of pedal they used truly groundbreaking stuff. I'm well aware of Kerry Brown's history as a producer with SP, I've never heard Billy list his band as one of his influences in any interview. Billy also produced a lot of his stuff.

A casual fan even being aware of the existence of the video posted in the OP is pretty hard to believe.

Last edited by Squish Squash : 09-30-2022 at 04:25 PM.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:18 PM   #65
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i'd say revealing the Big Muff to Corgan was a pretty pivotal moment - but then again, it wasn't D'arcy giving him a snarky look from across the room so I guess it's not that big a deal.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #66
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
They heavily influenced Billy by telling him a certain type of pedal they used truly groundbreaking stuff. I'm well aware of Kerry Brown's history as a producer with SP, I've never heard Billy list his band as one of his influences in any interview. Billy also produced a lot of his stuff.

A casual fan even being aware of the existence of the video posted in the OP is pretty hard to believe.
lol massively edited

Old 09-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #67
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
How do you read letters that were never sent. Typical Billy
By creeping through their window and going through their drawers, as Billy says in the rant.

Not a tr00 fan.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #68
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
lol massively edited
Yeah people think of stuff they forgot to say later, incredible

Old 09-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #69
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I’ll concede Catherine impacted the band more than I realized but some of you need to stop competing so heavily for being the most tr00 fan as if that means anything.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #70
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy Corgan taught me how to read! Take that D'arcy!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #71
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Avery ruined what this post was going to be

Old 09-30-2022, 09:01 PM   #72
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
By creeping through their window and going through their drawers, as Billy says in the rant.

Not a tr00 fan.
Truly brilliant stuff from B0lly

Old 09-30-2022, 09:05 PM   #73
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Avery ruined what this post was going to be
Well, I could always edit my posts. Is that more D'arcy like?

Old 10-01-2022, 03:25 AM   #74
Vossamer
Oblivious Virgin

Needs some more punctuation and capitals to be D'arcy like

That anyone could think that I don’t like sandwiches??????? Do YOU???

Old 10-01-2022, 03:54 AM   #75
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Lol you really captured that person who shouldn’t be on social media vibe she has

wheres my bass James???? You said you lost it??? that is CRIMINAL

or she’ll drop a random bombshell.

I can be on a tshirt Billy??? Well remember that time you SHIT YOURSELF???

Old 10-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #76
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I’ll concede Catherine impacted the band more than I realized but some of you need to stop competing so heavily for being the most tr00 fan as if that means anything.
No one is trying to prove they are the most “troo” fan, and I said that casual fan think as a joke. We are just calling you on your factual inaccuracies, snark, and bullshit and you don’t seem to like that.

Did Billy take literal songwriting cues from a Catherine? Not to my knowledge, but they introduced him to a pedal which essentially cemented the band’s sound and, per his own words, completely changed the way they approached and played music. I’d say that’s influence.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #77
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

And I posted this before I even realize Squish Squash left me negative rep! Guess he’s to stupid to realize I was being sarcastic. Squish, I love you babe, but if you ever speak to me in that tone again, I will burn the lies off of your soul and then skull fuck it!

Old 10-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #78
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I can be on a tshirt Billy??? Well remember that time you SHIT YOURSELF???
this proves that darcy is still the same badass we all remember and love... get her back in the band immediately

Old 10-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #79
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I am autistic sarcasm over the internet isn’t my forte. Apologies.