Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2022, 04:58 AM   #31
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Butterfly embodies almost everything( except the heavier guitar part) why people can't connect to the sp anymore. The song is bland, the melody is crappy, it doesn't let me feel anything,. The cheesy usage of synth and the sounds he is using ....also the sobg structure....bring on the guitar part again....it goes nowhere...as beguiled...lame, boring, zero emotions, fuck that

How can someone say if you hear this song for the first time that this is catchy, cool, ......

It is just there.....annoying me

Even cyr had better songs

Old 09-23-2022, 05:44 AM   #32
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
And considering this is the "Tonight Tonight" of the album... in terms of where it's placed.
Imagine what the Lily / We Only Come Out At Night equivalent is going to be like! Shit is going to get pretty wacky in week 74 of the podcast

Old 09-23-2022, 06:31 AM   #33
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
And considering this is the "Tonight Tonight" of the album... in terms of where it's placed.
If that's the case, R+S is the Tonight Tonight of Machina. Would you say that?

Old 09-23-2022, 06:34 AM   #34
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
If that's the case, R+S is the Tonight Tonight of Machina. Would you say that?
Idk becuz le deux machina didn’t end up opening the album but who knows if that was ever in the cards at the time or just revisionism

Old 09-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #35
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Imagine what the Lily / We Only Come Out At Night equivalent is going to be like! Shit is going to get pretty wacky in week 74 of the podcast
The really interesting thing is Lily is Junes twin sister. The really, really interesting thing here is that they've never met. Actually Lily has met June but June has never met Lily. Still, they share a connection that's somewhere in between metaphysical and metaphorical. And what I mean by that is going to become clearer as we go on.

Anyway. When June went out into space to be near Shiny she didn't realise that her twin, her mirror image would also of course do the same thing. This isn't about any feelings Lily might have for Shiny. Lily is actually completely unaware of who he really is. Speaking from experience, that makes Lily extremely powerful. I might meet a million people who say your music did this for, your music made ME do this.. I rarely ever meet a Lily. So Lily going to space is one hundred percent about the mirror image relationship the twin sisters share, Lily being drawn to space by forces or feelings she doesn't fully understand.

So we're left with this.. I suppose.. love triangle of people who've never met with June of course having this intense, intense relationship with Shiny and then there's Shiny who.. and I think a few of you will be having a sort of "aha!" moment here.. Zero, then Glass, now Shiny has always loved or wanted Lily from afar and considered her his One and Only. So when Shinys ship pulls off to take him on the March of Life, June looks out of her spaceship window and she sees Lily, she thinks she's seeing herself. And in a way she is seeing herself. June is a version of herself that Shiny sees and that Shiny wants. A version that would've stopped Shiny from pushing those buttons and sealing his fate.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #36
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I quite like R&S actually

Old 09-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #37
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
who the fuck is tommy lipstick and why can he change MCIS canon
Engineer who worked with the band on various albums form MCIS onwards and has been a close friend of the band since. They interview him in some of the documentaries/tv specials about the band when they broke up in 2000. Billy visits him during the 30 Days series he did, and mentioned Tommy was one of the few people who maintained consistent contact with both Billy and James from 2000-2016.

As someone else said, it's very clear he doesn't entirely buy into this whole, "I have had this concept planned since day one and have been playing a character since", but gave very diplomatic answers. Most interesting aspect of the interview to me was that he sounded exactly like H. Jon Benjamin.

That particular episode had some really cool talk about "Eye". Billy ruins the whole vibe of the thing by talking incredibly loudly and trying to talk over everyone whenever the conversation gets moving.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #38
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
That particular episode had some really cool talk about "Eye". Billy ruins the whole vibe of the thing by talking incredibly loudly and trying to talk over everyone whenever the conversation gets moving.
And asking questions about himself.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #39
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
The really interesting thing is Lily is Junes twin sister.
Is this real? I CAN'T EVEN TELL ANYMORE.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #40
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Is this real? I CAN'T EVEN TELL ANYMORE.
A lot of people ask me that and, you know, I don't think that's the right question. Is it real? What is real? The point to me is does it feel real? I'm more interested in if the feeling of truth translates than truth itself because as you know truth is very fluid. It's incredibly malleable and subjective. In fact, if you go back 7,000 years the Sanskrit word for truth is satya. Today we say truth. It's completely different so you can see how the essence of truth, the very word we use to communicate the concept can change completely over time.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #41
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I listened to Butterfly Suite and Atum a few times, but I have no idea what they go like now.

Beguiled I've listened to more, I just remember the riff and the bridge but I can't remember the vocal melody.

When the words are so hard to decipher, it makes remembering the melody much harder.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #42
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Idc if there's a mid 90s post on american.edu where he says "Oh it's June and it's oh so shiny today!"

if you buy into the lame retcon/patchwork story, you deserve the NWA/SP/Madame Zuzus super-duper megamasterbundle that's probably in the works right now.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #43
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Randomly Tonight Tonight was on the radio yesterday, and I noticed the lyric "so bright" was in there. I never copped on to the link when I first heard the full Shiny title.

But now here are talking about Shiny.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #44
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s the actual sound of Billy driving around an incredibly rich suburb of Chicago in a white Escalade wondering why he’s not cool.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #45
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Billy ruins the whole vibe of the thing by talking.
That’s it, that’s the past 25 years of the band. Close the forum. /

Old 09-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #46
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Randomly Tonight Tonight was on the radio yesterday, and I noticed the lyric "so bright" was in there. I never copped on to the link when I first heard the full Shiny title.

But now here are talking about Shiny.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #47
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Crushed that I haven't heard it yet... someone message me with a way to hear these elusive tracks

Old 09-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #48
Bleakest Harves
Demi-God

Very bland and aimless. Have listened about 5 times to it and I can't remember anything about it.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:41 PM   #49
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Crushed that I haven't heard it yet... someone message me with a way to hear these elusive tracks
This is the type of neglect that creates a new member of Sad Machines

Old 09-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #50
pinetree
Ownz

i like butterfly suite

Old 09-26-2022, 05:52 AM   #51
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

No song link posted, so no comment or fuck to give.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #52
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Endless Vibrato.