Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #4771
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I'm late to this train but yeah this album is beautiful

Elph, I'm glad to see you enjoying Danny Johnston. His 80s material is golden. Check out Songs of Pain and Don't Be Scared.

Also did you get around to Beat Happening? You'd like them if you're into Daniel Johnston.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #4772
Elphenor
Braindead

I've listened to 3 "albums"now: Don't be Scared, Hip Jump Songs, and Hi, how are you

And honestly this is some of the most interesting stuff I've heard in a long time. I'm really excited about it. Just watched the documentary the other day. I have so many thoughts about it right now I don't even know where to start.

I think Hip Jump is my favorite so far it being recorded on that super cheap organ he dragged in from who knows where. I love how the percussion is just the sound of his feet and him slamming down on the keys so hard. His weird ode to The Beatles is a highlight, what a cool song.

Everything is so brutally honest it's always riding the line between genius and cringe. Everything is held together by an unbelievable amount of heart. But when he wants it to be, the music is expertly arranged, he's a real savant.

I like how the albums are comprised of like 6 actual "songs" max and then everything else is found sound and noise that only makes sense taken as a whole but a lot of it is really clever the way he uses it.

Don't be afraid having a song where he recorded his Mom chewing him out and then put awesome doomy keys behind it is so funny. How does this even exist?

Also love the tracks where he delves into guitar playing. He can't really play anything but writes songs 100X more interesting than anything most guitar players could ever come up with. "Despair came knocking" is one of my favorites.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #4773
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
here's an opinion: This album fucking sucked and GYBE is dead in the water.
the studio take is pretty meh, but it still sounds amazing live

Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #4774
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #4775
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
I've listened to 3 "albums"now: Don't be Scared, Hip Jump Songs, and Hi, how are you

And honestly this is some of the most interesting stuff I've heard in a long time. I'm really excited about it. Just watched the documentary the other day. I have so many thoughts about it right now I don't even know where to start.

I think Hip Jump is my favorite so far it being recorded on that super cheap organ he dragged in from who knows where. I love how the percussion is just the sound of his feet and him slamming down on the keys so hard. His weird ode to The Beatles is a highlight, what a cool song.

Everything is so brutally honest it's always riding the line between genius and cringe. Everything is held together by an unbelievable amount of heart. But when he wants it to be, the music is expertly arranged, he's a real savant.

I like how the albums are comprised of like 6 actual "songs" max and then everything else is found sound and noise that only makes sense taken as a whole but a lot of it is really clever the way he uses it.

Don't be afraid having a song where he recorded his Mom chewing him out and then put awesome doomy keys behind it is so funny. How does this even exist?

Also love the tracks where he delves into guitar playing. He can't really play anything but writes songs 100X more interesting than anything most guitar players could ever come up with. "Despair came knocking" is one of my favorites.
It's actually called "Yip/Jump Music" but yea I really like it too. Songs of Pain is my favorite tho and "Grievances" is the quientessential Daniel song. The movie was very well done too.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #4776
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

The Jezabels - Prisoner

never listened to them before, Australian band apparently. not groundbreaking to my ears, easy listening, but not too poppy. enjoyable.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #4777
MusicMan4

the three new Boris albums
even though they were a series called "New Noise Literacy" I wasn't expecting straight up noise, I mean their album from last year was just called "Noise" and it was one of the most "pop" things they ever did, but the best part about Boris besides they're good at everything is that they always do shit like this when they could have just kept rehashing "Pink" for the rest of their career
i'm listening to the last in the series again and it builds up so well to and earns the all-out harsh assault of the final track
i mean you have to be into this kind of shit in general but like they definitely learned how to do this right from all their merzbow collaborations

Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #4778
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

i listened to this for the first time ever because SOMEONE i know said it was pretty much their favorite RH album at this point.

I'd pretty much written off RH after HTTT because i really didn't care for it and insomnia and kid A, i liked but not as much as the 90's stuff so after HTTT figured well RH probably now has forever went in a direction i won't care for.

As for this record, I feel i could not connect emotionally with a lot of the music (i liked the lyrics, simple and short but for the most part easily relatable) as much as i should have. But I will give it a few more spins (what a stupid term to still use). Because there was for sure at least 3 or 4 songs that felt like they'd grow on me pretty quick once more familiar to me. And that's already something. Its almost as if i feel the music i've been listening to those past few years utilizes such a different musical language that i have to reprogam the neuroreceptors in my brain. Like its telling me "you probably like this, you just don't remember you do". That probably only makes sense to me.

I just find that modern RH (well fuck this is 8 years ago...how bout 00's RH) is missing the bigger, louder drama of 90's RH. you know when yorke's voice consistently punched you in the heart. He's older and more restrained now (minus maybe two or three sorta exceptions on the record but still you know..its not anywhere near say, the third verse of Fake Plastic Trees intensity wise..). And so is the band. I'm probably just not mature enough to dig that as much. Or anyway, it doesn't grab me as easily and as readily, it's more subtle.

I mean... I'm ONLY in my late 30's yknow....

Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #4779
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

kid a & amnesiac are pretty dramatic, the only record of theirs so far i'd say was "non-canon" (aside from i guess pablo, but that's got some essentials of course) is limbs. rainbows is best approached with its second disc, i feel like, & as for hail to the thief i don't know how you could call a good portion of that album "restrained" - i mean, there there? 2 + 2?

the 00s records at least up to rainbows were better than the bends for me if only because they didn't have that forever-'95 feeling about 'em (for obvious reasons, lol!)

Old 06-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #4780
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

httt just doesn't flow, for me. seems like a collection of songs (albeit good ones, for the most part).

but fucking in rainbows is a great return to the fine form (like a glamourous babe) of Kid A/OK PC. Nude and Jigsaw are classic RH to me.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #4781
FoolofaTook

that's what I think, I do.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #4782
FoolofaTook

also I want to say that I am intimidated by you guys and your in depth musical tastes. for real for real. on the g.

all I listen to are a few outdated bands.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #4783
Cool As Ice Cream

wasn't nude written at the time of ok computer?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #4784
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

yes, recorded with Nigel Godrich but not officially released back then.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #4785
Cool As Ice Cream

i listened to j mascis + the fog - more light

Old 06-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #4786
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
And half japanese in the background, which was just discussed a few posts before. INCEPTION
Uh well that was the point because Jad Fair fronts Half Japanese

Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #4787
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #4788
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
It's actually called "Yip/Jump Music" but yea I really like it too.
ahh yes, my bad

Just downloaded three more albums lets do this

Old 06-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #4789
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
kid a & amnesiac are pretty dramatic, the only record of theirs so far i'd say was "non-canon" (aside from i guess pablo, but that's got some essentials of course) is limbs. rainbows is best approached with its second disc, i feel like, & as for hail to the thief i don't know how you could call a good portion of that album "restrained" - i mean, there there? 2 + 2?

the 00s records at least up to rainbows were better than the bends for me if only because they didn't have that forever-'95 feeling about 'em (for obvious reasons, lol!)
Kid A is pretty chill though. Amnesiac less so. its more by memory because honestly, i don't really listen to amnesiac. Or at least haven't for many years.

about HTTT, to be fair i haven't listened to this record in years and i had tried it like three times. i don't know, i'm probably full of shit about that one. But still in general, 00's RH always seemed more chill to me

as much as i like a bunch of songs from the post 90's RH, all my favorites are prertty much just 90's.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #4790
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

National Anthem & Pull/Pulk/Pulled Pork sound like the end of the world

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #4791
FoolofaTook

i might be wrong is so cool. that breakdown has to be one of the best radiohead moments. and when i saw them dollars and cents was fucking epic.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #4792
Elphenor
Braindead

I might be wrong is indeed so cool

Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #4793
Elphenor
Braindead

Guys that Jad Fair and Daniel Johnston collaboration album is really really REALLY good

I'm so blown away

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #4794
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post

Old 06-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #4795
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
Guys that Jad Fair and Daniel Johnston collaboration album is really really REALLY good

I'm so blown away
HE'S GOT MCDONALDS ON THE BRAIN IT'S PLAIN TO SEE

Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #4796
Elphenor
Braindead

hahahaha

so good

Old 06-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #4797
Elphenor
Braindead

Listened to Fun today I had no idea Danny J had riffy songs like "Foxy Girl" up his sleeve.

So wicked and funny

Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #4798
FoolofaTook

Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #4799
Ram27
dumb

American Football - American Football

The opener is pure warmth

Old 06-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #4800
bye june
Ownz

I listened to that the other day for the first time, "Never Meant" is the best part of the album. The rest was ok, not something I feel compelled to hear over and over again.