Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default The Reelection of Barack Hussein Obama

Bill Maher stands up as an example for his people by donating $1,000,000 to Barry's super pac

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

superpacs are evil. but not ours, because we're not, so it cant be.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

by his people did you mean rich people with nothing better to do

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy View Post
superpacs are evil. but not ours, because we're not, so it cant be.
we already went over this

Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

let's go over it again

Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

seriously, though. super pacs are now the necessary evil. it will be impossible to win the white house without the use of crazy money from a couple of hundred billionaires.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

he should just take lobbyist money then

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

i mean officially take it, not just from their spouses and bundlers stuff

Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

because winnings what matters, right guys? Eulogy the only thing that would justify this (not him using it, that needs none, but you guys just signing off like its no big deal) is if he wins and they actually do something to reverse citizens united. Otherwise boy will you guys look stupid.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
we already went over this
once again, who cares, if you're tired of rehashing the same arguments over and over again then stay off this board.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
because winnings what matters, right guys? Eulogy the only thing that would justify this (not him using it, that needs none, but you guys just signing off like its no big deal) is if he wins and they actually do something to reverse citizens united. Otherwise boy will you guys look stupid.
who appoints supreme court justices

oh

or do you want him to unilaterally pass legislation that will once again get struck down for the same exact reasons it was already struck down in citizens united

you really have no leg to stand on here.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

new judges, new rulings or a constitutional amendment. anything else is just a waste of time. But progressive have already started trying to organize for a constitutional amendment. And Obama has repeatedly stated that he doesn't agree with the courts' rulings on the matter

Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Eulogy
huh

there is no way a constitutional amendment passes. waste of time/energy/resources.

Scalia is 76.

i see him being there until he's like 95 though. bah.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
FutureBoy
Ownz

you really have no leg to stand on here.[/quote]

what leg do i need? You are the one supporting the superpAc use under the assumptions that he will nominate someone to the court, and that they will oppose the ruling, and that he or the party will want it opposed.it could die off just as quickly as campaign finance reform did after 2008

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBoy View Post

what leg do i need? You are the one supporting the superpAc use under the assumptions that he will nominate someone to the court, and that they will oppose the ruling, and that he or the party will want it opposed.it could die off just as quickly as campaign finance reform did after 2008
and you're assuming there is some other way to do it

there isn't. so we're gonna need a democratic president until the court finally flips. he and the party are all pretty well aligned against the ruling. it might fall off of the political radar but that doesn't really matter seeing as the only route for its overruling is a different composition of the court. or the court changing its mind, which after this clusterfuck does not appear to be outside the realm of possibility.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
there is no way a constitutional amendment passes. waste of time/energy/resources.

Scalia is 76.

i see him being there until he's like 95 though. bah.
you never know. the guy is one unhealthy looking wop.

also, something like an ammendment campaign has other purposes. It can become a way to whip up voters to support candidates or issues related to campaign finance reform.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Eulogy
huh

and the converse of my "support" is a republican president.

so i don't really see how that's better.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
FutureBoy
Ownz

Quote:
and you're assuming there is some other way to do it

there isn't. so we're gonna need a democratic president until the court finally flips. he and the party are all pretty well aligned against the ruling. it might fall off of the political radar but that doesn't really matter seeing as the only route for its overruling is a different composition of the court. or the court changing its mind, which after this clusterfuck does not appear to be outside the realm of
there is a deference between realizing the court is the best way to change it, and just turning around and embracing a position because it's suddenly our best chance to win.
both sides embracing them makes it more likely to stay, not less, no matter who wins

It's getting old though watching dem base supporters complain when the party caves.i mean they don't stand for anything, why should their pols. Everything is just an election away from being a necessary evil.

Btw,i was simply mocking scottys superpac support thread, can't a guy have some fun around here anymore

Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
there is a deference between realizing the court is the best way to change it, and just turning around and embracing a position because it's suddenly our best chance to win.
both sides embracing them makes it more likely to stay, not less, no matter who wins
what? no it doesn't. having obama appoint another justice to replace a conservative is the only way it will change. ..how do you think this stuff works...?

Quote:
It's getting old though watching dem base supporters complain when the party caves.i mean they don't stand for anything, why should their pols. Everything is just an election away from being a necessary evil.

Btw,i was simply mocking scottys superpac support thread, can't a guy have some fun around here anymore
ok

Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #21
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
what? no it doesn't. having obama appoint another justice to replace a conservative is the only way it will change. ..how do you think this stuff works...?
yeah, once they see how much money can be raised and its effectiveness I'm sure they will really fight hard.

thi thinking that we must use the superpacs to eventually kill the superpacs is a weak argument. just say to protect the court we need obama, thats really the only argument left. I mean you said it yourself legislation has no hope of passing soon, theres no guarantee he will get to appoint someone else, and even less chance it would be a conservative, so why even bring that up as a possibility. It's here to stay for now, duh, but Id hope people like you and sctty (who I consider an informed voter) wouldn't be so quick to just willingly accept it, and could at least see what dems embracing them could likely lead to.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
yeah, once they see how much money can be raised and its effectiveness I'm sure they will really fight hard.

thi thinking that we must use the superpacs to eventually kill the superpacs is a weak argument. just say to protect the court we need obama, thats really the only argument left. I mean you said it yourself legislation has no hope of passing soon, theres no guarantee he will get to appoint someone else, and even less chance it would be a conservative, so why even bring that up as a possibility. It's here to stay for now, duh, but Id hope people like you and sctty (who I consider an informed voter) wouldn't be so quick to just willingly accept it, and could at least see what dems embracing them could likely lead to.
You're really not grasping the fact that the only way this changes is through the Supreme Court. It appears as though you really don't get how this works. If legislation is passed, it will be struck down. I'm not sure what dots you're having trouble connecting here. "Dems embracing it" doesn't lead to anything. at all. The political climate surrounding it is somewhat relevant but not really important and doesn't have any effect on the one course of action that would actually overrule it.

Last edited by Eulogy : 02-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
You're really not grasping the fact that the only way this changes is through the Supreme Court. It appears as though you really don't get how this works. If legislation is passed, it will be struck down. I'm not sure what dots you're having trouble connecting here.
how am I not grasping that fact? I just told you Obama in all likelihood wont make any conservative replacements (your key to repeal), at most he'd be able to keep it balanced.

Quote:
"Dems embracing it" doesn't lead to anything. at all.
Jesus man, they have to actually be opposed to it, if they think they can benefit from it do you think that will make them more or less opposed to it? I mean, its the same as how dems were opposed to gitmo, until a dem president kept it going.

you seriously think them having access to so much unregulated money will have no effect? It only remains an issue if there is a party opposed to it, it could easily just become a game over transparency.

Quote:
and doesn't have any effect on the one course of action that would actually overrule it.
yeah, thats why I said this

Quote:
I recognize the court is the only way to change it, but between now and when the composition could actually be changed (which is not likely to happen under Obama) I dont think both parties embracing the use of superpacs is useful to the politics of the argument. Just like it hasnt been on all the other things that have now become necessary evils under Obama.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
Eulogy
huh

so you want democrats to reject them and basically ensure that the court's composition gets worse so that citizens united never has any chance of getting overruled

but hey at least we didn't use superpacs, guys

how do you not see how silly this is

Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
It only remains an issue if there is a party opposed to it.
or if someone files a lawsuit. which again, is the only way to change it. and requires no political backing.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
so you want democrats to reject them and basically ensure that the court's composition gets worse so that citizens united never has any chance of getting overruled
no, I want people like you two to not be so meh about them using it, or in scottys case happy. I want the base thats so quick to support this to take a step back and see what they're supporting. Which is where the mock scotty thing comes in.

Quote:
how do you not see how silly this is
this is coming from the guy that thinks gobs of money will have no effect on politicians. seriously.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
or if someone files a lawsuit. which again, is the only way to change it. and requires no political backing.
this was pointless. its like you're arguing against something that I'm not denying.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

maybe this thread was more tongue in cheek than i took it

Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

this is coming from the guy that thinks gobs of money will have no effect on politicians. seriously.

my point was that politicians don't fucking matter. a point you say you understand but one that doesn't mesh at all with your posts in this thread.

Quote:
this was pointless. its like you're arguing against something that I'm not denying.
you said it only remains an issue if a political party cares. which is false. because the filing of a lawsuit doesn't require the support of a political party.

honestly i have no idea what your point is here. we should be more begrudging? ok?