Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-02-2023, 05:37 AM   #151
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

What's up with the gargantuan posts?

This ain't a scene, it's a redacted arms race smh

Old 02-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #152
inkless
Ownz

1675346991-billycam.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack

Has anyone had access to this tape?

Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 AM   #153
T&T
Socialphobic

bla bla bla bla bla
I don't even want to contribute
but that's too late
so here's some more
bla bla bla bla

remember the guy who thought billy invented electronic music (AKA stole it from the Jamacans)

keep going saphire, your'e headed for infamy
like that guy (whos' name we can't even remember) who won (paid 30K$) to have lunch with billy, but couldn't afford it.
you're going to be one of those "remember the guy who said the jamacain electronic music thing. that was amusing. I wonder if he could come back soon. maybe it was just some copypasta chatbot"

Old 02-02-2023, 11:15 AM   #154
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
bla bla bla bla bla
I don't even want to contribute
but that's too late
so here's some more
bla bla bla bla

remember the guy who thought billy invented electronic music (AKA stole it from the Jamacans)

keep going saphire, your'e headed for infamy
like that guy (whos' name we can't even remember) who won (paid 30K$) to have lunch with billy, but couldn't afford it.
you're going to be one of those "remember the guy who said the jamacain electronic music thing. that was amusing. I wonder if he could come back soon. maybe it was just some copypasta chatbot"
Dude ...

It's Netphoria.

Who cares.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:20 AM   #155
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
What's up with the gargantuan posts?

This ain't a scene, it's a redacted arms race smh
Seems reading for longer than 45 seconds ain't up most people's alleys.

Or addressing the ideas they actually made.

I'm getting the impression that there's somewhere else on the Internet where folks that just want to discuss Smashing Pumpkins stuff without being total loads go to communicate with one another.

And that's why everyone's here.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #156
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Lol. What are you even on about? What kind of loser has this much time in their personal life to post an absolute meaningless pile of shit like this? Take your ass back to 2005, the last time anyone might have given the slightest fuck about what you had to say here.
Oh oh.

Touched a nerve on a nobody.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #157
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

There's definitely a lot of anger in you, Sapphire, and I wish you'd let us in

We can all see the inherent contradiction in "this place is a hellhole and you're all nobodies" and "I came back after a decade and started posting extremely long messages in earnest"

As much as I like the nostalgia of having a really dumb "you don't matter and have no friends"/"no you don't matter and have no friends" flame war, that's just not really what things are like here in 2023, and it's very transparent that something, somewhere else, is going on in your life that's led you here, just regressing to a point in your life where you remember being able to blow off some steam in a safe environment

Like, welcome back, but this feels like an Encino Man situation where you just need to get caught up, y'know? Maybe take a step back from here, and your own thoughts, and just observe them, no judgment, just see what thoughts come up and get a sense of what's going on in there

Old 02-02-2023, 11:30 AM   #158
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Also I can't read this thread title without, every time, imagining it's the setup of a "Yo mama so fat" joke, like, "How much of an asshole is he?" should have been the first reply

Old 02-02-2023, 11:33 AM   #159
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
And so it was, that the village was consumed by their own ignorance, eventually starving to death for lack of new ideas to sustain them. Amen.
Well, you think that somebody presenting an idea - namely that the Smashing Pumpkins released a couple of ideas into the wild that found themselves referenced and built upon as the years went on - which, spoiler alert, isn't the first band this has happened to - would be built upon with other examples, or countered with different ideas.

This community seems to have transformed from a collective of characters following an interesting artist into a hobble of viscerally upset-at-life one-note nobodies time locked somewhere between 1992 to 2004.

Better stop here - or the Alty will get upset that somebody's making him read.

Either way, have fun with this one Incubator.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #160
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I think there’s ideas and there’s “Billy corgan invented dub”

Old 02-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #161
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
There's definitely a lot of anger in you, Sapphire, and I wish you'd let us in

We can all see the inherent contradiction in "this place is a hellhole and you're all nobodies" and "I came back after a decade and started posting extremely long messages in earnest"

As much as I like the nostalgia of having a really dumb "you don't matter and have no friends"/"no you don't matter and have no friends" flame war, that's just not really what things are like here in 2023, and it's very transparent that something, somewhere else, is going on in your life that's led you here, just regressing to a point in your life where you remember being able to blow off some steam in a safe environment

Like, welcome back, but this feels like an Encino Man situation where you just need to get caught up, y'know? Maybe take a step back from here, and your own thoughts, and just observe them, no judgment, just see what thoughts come up and get a sense of what's going on in there
I was thinking back one day about how forum boards used to be a thing, before, you know, Reddit. And then I was like, "Oh yeah! Netphoria!" And I had a chuckle. Like, you know, some cool times with some cool folks.

So I dropped by, and to my surprise, it was still here. I then tried my old username that I used on forums back in the day - and the password - and lo and behold - I actually logged in.

I was curious as to what folks would have to say about the Pumpkins since back in the heyday. You know - seeing how different music became - and how this world is a greater relic than bebop was in the 90's. I figured I'd venture in and try to start a conversation.

And you see - that's where your piffling "tell me your issues" schtick falls flat. I didn't come in here to pick fights with anybody. I came in here to talk about Pumpkins stuff - because, honestly, I don't really listen to them anymore. Sometimes a Youtube feed suggests a newer track - I give it a click - and usually well before it's over - I'm out.

If you look at my original posts. I wasn't writing in anger. But, honest question, do you let somebody who acts like a mean-spirited total loser take the piss out of you? I don't. But I'm old-school.

So, if your idea of "having issues" is "not letting myself get railroaded by folks with personality disorders," then, sure. I guess?

I came to see what happened to this place.

A good analogy would be Billy Corgan's actual career.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #162
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I read your first post and felt it really "set the tone" for the manner in which I'd be ignoring you from then on

Old 02-02-2023, 11:49 AM   #163
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
I think there’s ideas and there’s “Billy corgan invented dub”
That's cute. And it would work.

But ... that's not what I said. So it doesn't.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #164
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
I read your first post and felt it really "set the tone" for the manner in which I'd be ignoring you from then on
I see you appreciate irony.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #165
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
Well, you think that somebody presenting an idea - namely that the Smashing Pumpkins released a couple of ideas into the wild that found themselves referenced and built upon as the years went on - which, spoiler alert, isn't the first band this has happened to - would be built upon with other examples, or countered with different ideas.
I mean, that's what I did. I said you were poignant and organized, but wrong. Because of the fact that electronic music was already heavily in the pop soundscape before 1979 came out. And that dubstep wasn't really a thing in mainstream USA for 15-20 years after that, and the types of artists making dubstep weren't really Smashing Pumpkins fans, and it is fairly traceable where they got their influence from. Because of the saturation of electronic music in pop that had basically nothing to do with one SP song.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #166
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That's cute. And it would work.

But ... that's not what I said. So it doesn't.
You 100% said it and we all saw it

Old 02-02-2023, 12:22 PM   #167
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Forgive my misunderstanding, incubation emphasizes the Santosian nature of big willy's bald claims.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #168
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Quote:
But, honest question, do you let somebody who acts like a mean-spirited total loser take the piss out of you? I don't. But I'm old-school.

So, if your idea of "having issues" is "not letting myself get railroaded by folks with personality disorders," then, sure. I guess?
I mean, that's totally fair, and I'm just, as you say, taking the piss out of you (what a bizarre phrase. Even if I ever needed someone's piss, my mother raised me to ask rather than take it by force)

I sometimes check in on zombo.com or worldwarone.com and feel some comfort or pleasure in seeing they're still there, so I get it

I do hope you haven't been using the same password for things for ten years, but I congratulate you for however you managed to recall it

Old 02-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #169
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Anger is really fear in disguise Okay I was just really excited about using that one at some point, I've got it out now

Old 02-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #170
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Hard to have a conversation when talking down to people.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #171
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I mean, that's what I did. I said you were poignant and organized, but wrong. Because of the fact that electronic music was already heavily in the pop soundscape before 1979 came out. And that dubstep wasn't really a thing in mainstream USA for 15-20 years after that, and the types of artists making dubstep weren't really Smashing Pumpkins fans, and it is fairly traceable where they got their influence from. Because of the saturation of electronic music in pop that had basically nothing to do with one SP song.
You still don't fathom what I said. I said that the loose lay-out of what 1979 encompassed - the structure - the instrumentation - the almost passive vocals - got replicated by genres twenty years in the future. Not replicated as in - "Oh man! We're going to rip off 1979!" or, "Finally! I get to be Smashing Pumpkins 2!" But, for all intents and purposes, accidentally.

Where what Billy produced was something that had the intrinsic appeal - that other people would in turn produce many songs like it in the future - even if they never heard of 1979 before. It wasn't that Billy was paving the road forward for everyone else - it's that was one of the first folks to craft a song in a particular style - within very particular parameters - that would prove to have longevity as an idea in and of itself.

The idea that anybody from the modern day is going back to 1995 alt rock records to find inspiration for what to do next is, admittedly, pretty dumb. But that's not what I said.

I merely said that an idea Billy had - had greater wings than most of his other contemporaries - whose output is relatively sealed in the age it came from - whereas, for all intents and purposes, there are still songs being made relatively recently that share an incredible amount in common with 1979.

Even if the person who wrote it never heard the song before themselves.

And if 1979 had it's roots in prior songs from somewhere else - sure! Alright! But - for whatever reason, be it chance or circumstance, I never heard of it before. I have heard of 1979. The comparison still stands - as the idea isn't that Billy set the road forth for everyone - rather, he interpreted an idea in a manner that many future artists - in way different genres - doing way different things - would end up doing the same. If that can be said for the song that supposedly influenced 1979 - I don't honestly know. But I doubt it - as the "1979 was a complete rip-off argument" doesn't seem to be something that gets mentioned all that often, from what I remember and have seen.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #172
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Hard to have a conversation when talking down to people.
I'm going to go ahead and wager a guess.

I'm going to say that in most of the threads in this place - concerning most of the topics - the people here just continuously treat each other like shit.

Am I right on this? I don't honestly know. Now that I'm here again - older memories are flooding back - and ... well, it was a different feeling than this. There seemed to be a comradery. An energy. Like, everyone's laughing and talking shit at the poker table type of deal. Still talking shit - but with one another - not at them.

Forget about me - I'm, for all intents and purposes, a stranger around these parts now. But, even in the responses of this thread, it feels more like people are talking to themselves than with one another. Again, forgetting me here. No one else is really talking to each other. Like, you would find ... in a forum board?

I dunno. That and people misquoting what somebody says - to then start piling on them about what they didn't say?

That's honest to God pretty pathetic.

This place, honest to God, is pretty depressing.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #173
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I definitely fathom what you said, I just disagree. Why can't you handle that?

Old 02-02-2023, 01:42 PM   #174
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Nobody is treating anybody like shit, either. It's not that serious, and it's not that depressing.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #175
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You still don't fathom what I said. I said that the loose lay-out of what 1979 encompassed - the structure - the instrumentation - the almost passive vocals - got replicated by genres twenty years in the future. Not replicated as in - "Oh man! We're going to rip off 1979!" or, "Finally! I get to be Smashing Pumpkins 2!" But, for all intents and purposes, accidentally.

Where what Billy produced was something that had the intrinsic appeal - that other people would in turn produce many songs like it in the future - even if they never heard of 1979 before. It wasn't that Billy was paving the road forward for everyone else - it's that was one of the first folks to craft a song in a particular style - within very particular parameters - that would prove to have longevity as an idea in and of itself.

The idea that anybody from the modern day is going back to 1995 alt rock records to find inspiration for what to do next is, admittedly, pretty dumb. But that's not what I said.

I merely said that an idea Billy had - had greater wings than most of his other contemporaries - whose output is relatively sealed in the age it came from - whereas, for all intents and purposes, there are still songs being made relatively recently that share an incredible amount in common with 1979.

Even if the person who wrote it never heard the song before themselves.

And if 1979 had it's roots in prior songs from somewhere else - sure! Alright! But - for whatever reason, be it chance or circumstance, I never heard of it before. I have heard of 1979. The comparison still stands - as the idea isn't that Billy set the road forth for everyone - rather, he interpreted an idea in a manner that many future artists - in way different genres - doing way different things - would end up doing the same. If that can be said for the song that supposedly influenced 1979 - I don't honestly know. But I doubt it - as the "1979 was a complete rip-off argument" doesn't seem to be something that gets mentioned all that often, from what I remember and have seen.
Still, this argument only makes sense if you are comparing SP to other alt rock. If alt rock was mainstream in the mid-90s, and all the music was guitar based and sad sack and self-serious (which it was) then 1979 was a big break then and in the 00s when pop music displaced rock then I can see what you are saying.

But if we instead look at mid-90s self-serious rock a minor blip in the history of pop music from Yellow Submarine to everything Martin Miller has produced then I think you are seriously overrating the impact of this pop song.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #176
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Let me restate. I know, and have known since your first post about this, that you think 1979 laid some sort of specific framework for future songs. Even if the newer artists aren't aware of the song directly, the legacy of it is so pervasive and has popped up in various genres 20 years later. No one is confused

Old 02-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #177
T&T
Socialphobic

not going to lie but I'm starting to hear the dub influence

Old 02-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #178
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I was thinking back one day about how forum boards used to be a thing, before, you know, Reddit. And then I was like, "Oh yeah! Netphoria!" And I had a chuckle. Like, you know, some cool times with some cool folks.

So I dropped by, and to my surprise, it was still here. I then tried my old username that I used on forums back in the day - and the password - and lo and behold - I actually logged in.

I was curious as to what folks would have to say about the Pumpkins since back in the heyday. You know - seeing how different music became - and how this world is a greater relic than bebop was in the 90's. I figured I'd venture in and try to start a conversation.

And you see - that's where your piffling "tell me your issues" schtick falls flat. I didn't come in here to pick fights with anybody. I came in here to talk about Pumpkins stuff - because, honestly, I don't really listen to them anymore. Sometimes a Youtube feed suggests a newer track - I give it a click - and usually well before it's over - I'm out.

If you look at my original posts. I wasn't writing in anger. But, honest question, do you let somebody who acts like a mean-spirited total loser take the piss out of you? I don't. But I'm old-school.

I came to see what happened to this place.

A good analogy would be Billy Corgan's actual career.
Interesting because you’ve taken some fairly innocuous replies that weren’t even directed to you and gone full nuclear with epic flame responses. It’s ironic that you point the finger to people here as being the total losers. Maybe you need to wake up and smell what you’re shoveling.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #179
T&T
Socialphobic

Old 02-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #180
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

And this 1979 stuff is hilarious. Is it a great song? Yes. Is there something intrinsically unique and innovative about it to such a degree that it influenced popular music on a subconscious level ever since? No. It’s nothing that New Order hadn’t already done.