Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2023, 06:59 PM   #121
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Apparently this is when he found out he was going to become a father. Don't even know what's real anymore

Old 01-31-2023, 07:31 PM   #122
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
That really does make sense. And it explains why, afaik, Shiny has spent the entire album so far going "WELL I GUESS NO ONE LIKES ME SO I'M GOING TO JUMP INTO THE SUN. Yep, just steering right into it... here I go... don't anyone try to stop me... yep, jumping into the sun because no one likes my music... can you guys hear me?... Almost there now, yep, not gonna turn around... heeeeeeere I go... it's a shame no one likes my music any more so I'm just gonna... guys? Guys?"
All the while actual angels keep flying around his ship singing no don’t do it. No idea if angels voices travel in the vacuum of space. I’m gonna go with no! but that’s not what’s important here. What’s important is that it’s so fucked up and unfair that WPC has been cancelled and had no long term cultural impact that literal angels have to get involved. No one on earths heard of you but you’re popular in heaven !

Old 01-31-2023, 08:23 PM   #123
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's much SP influence in popular music. If there was I'd be listening to a lot more of it. There's great bands still out there who were clearly inspired by SP but these bands seem to have pretty modest followings and a lot of times don't seem to record very much. Out of SP's peers I think Alanis Morissette has the most influence by far, with Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, and Sunny Day Real Estate also having some influence, but at least to me I don't hear much Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains in popular music today either, so its not as if SP is alone in that.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:48 PM   #124
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That really does make sense. And it explains why, afaik, Shiny has spent the entire album so far going "WELL I GUESS NO ONE LIKES ME SO I'M GOING TO JUMP INTO THE SUN. Yep, just steering right into it... here I go... don't anyone try to stop me... yep, jumping into the sun because no one likes my music... can you guys hear me?... Almost there now, yep, not gonna turn around... heeeeeeere I go... it's a shame no one likes my music any more so I'm just gonna... guys? Guys?"

Old 02-01-2023, 05:36 AM   #125
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

SP were like Avatar - huge success but no long lasting cultural impact. Until Avatar 2 came along. But when Avatar 3 is done, it'll quietly go away again and the only impact it'll have had will be on James Cameron's bank balance.

There's so many things Billy could've done to bring SP back to cultural relevance - not mess up the 2007 reunion, not mess up the D'arcy situation, go on the Shiny tour instead of small club dates with the original 4.

Even before that in 2000 he could've not messed up Machina and delivered a straight "back to rock" record.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #126
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Unfortunately, I don't believe there's much SP influence in popular music. If there was I'd be listening to a lot more of it. There's great bands still out there who were clearly inspired by SP but these bands seem to have pretty modest followings and a lot of times don't seem to record very much. Out of SP's peers I think Alanis Morissette has the most influence by far, with Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, and Sunny Day Real Estate also having some influence, but at least to me I don't hear much Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains in popular music today either, so its not as if SP is alone in that.
lol what?

Radio rock has been stuck in the post-grunge template going on twenty years now. A big problem with rock being "dead" is that people won't stop aping and appropriating that sound.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:30 AM   #127
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
SP were like Avatar - huge success but no long lasting cultural impact. Until Avatar 2 came along. But when Avatar 3 is done, it'll quietly go away again and the only impact it'll have had will be on James Cameron's bank balance.

There's so many things Billy could've done to bring SP back to cultural relevance - not mess up the 2007 reunion, not mess up the D'arcy situation, go on the Shiny tour instead of small club dates with the original 4.

Even before that in 2000 he could've not messed up Machina and delivered a straight "back to rock" record.
The Avatar analogy might work if any of Billy's 17 comebacks had worked.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #128
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

And yeah, Billy as a dad ditching the kid for the road is probably doing him a massive favor.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:33 AM   #129
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Can someone photoshop that magazine cover with his kid(s?) head(s?) pasted over the kitties?

Old 02-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #130
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I'd even settle for one where that guy with the derp face from the other thread is pasted onto the cats.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #131
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
& pseudo-intellectual would be writing a series of essays on the internet only concerned with fickle mainstream trends and pretending like entire decades of music didn't happen because not every idiot at your high school knew about it

but even then you're still wrong, lol
Any trend influences all the others. Those that garner more attention typically carry more influence. It's not that the other bands didn't exist - or didn't matter - or didn't have quality - it's just that their reach was pretty miniscule. Mention them to 99.999999% of people, they'll look at you blankly. That goes for 99.99999999% of the music that's been produced overall.

Quote:
Buddy, you last posted here in 2005, and it seems like you usually kept things pretty brief back then. Now you're back and blasting out of the gate with multiple 10,000-word essays on why "1979" revolutionized music. Divorce? Death of a parent? Could it be true that, deep down, that's what you'd really like to talk about instead? Let's dig in and really start rooting around in that noggin. This is a place of healing.
I never said that 1979 revolutionized music. Like ... if you're going to bring a counter-argument, it wouldn't hurt if you actually knew what the original argument was. Or, was it the number of words that threw you?

Either way, that was some might fine projection of you there. Maybe that's the problem you're facing; you're talking to the folks here instead of a psychiatrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
wow, it really has been since 2005 - welcome back Sapphire
Ah, a man of culture.

Thanks for the good cheer. Those were some good times, eh? Remember ******?

Remember Goatse?

EDIT: Oh man! Goatse isn't banned, but Bon ~~~ sor is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Music itself pretty much changed.

Difficult to have hard rocking guitar riffs based music when ...

The youth don't really play the guitar anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
lol what?

Radio rock has been stuck in the post-grunge template going on twenty years now. A big problem with rock being "dead" is that people won't stop aping and appropriating that sound.
The only reason they do that is because most of the newer talent that actually has talent opts to focus their attention on a $400 machine that can produce any sound they can imagine, rather than run around collecting thousands of dollars of equipment for a single instrument that takes years to learn and decades to master.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #132
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
The only reason they do that is because most of the newer talent that actually has talent opts to focus their attention on a $400 machine that can produce any sound they can imagine, rather than run around collecting thousands of dollars of equipment for a single instrument that takes years to learn and decades to master.
Ernest Hemingway here must be onto something, idr many £18,999 Strats in the 90s. Clear sign it's a boomer oriented market now.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:33 PM   #133
LaBelle
Socialphobic

lol even Billy is living proof that buying all the equipment and pressing all the buttons doesn't make good electronic music automatically.

Rock music failed to diversify and other music genres showed up and ate it's lunch, and at a point it turns into a loop.
But there's also plenty of good current rock bands out there.

But anyway this is the old people's corner.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #134
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Ernest Hemingway here must be onto something, idr many £18,999 Strats in the 90s. Clear sign it's a boomer oriented market now.
I play guitar. I like guitar. But the only time I hear people talk about guitars themselves is in how many guitar stores are closing - or how others are struggling with finding enough people to come in and buy something.

It's sad. Guitars are awesome. But the youth aren't attracted to it anymore. Much like the youth in the fifties weren't buying all that many violins anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
lol even Billy is living proof that buying all the equipment and pressing all the buttons doesn't make good electronic music automatically.

Rock music failed to diversify and other music genres showed up and ate it's lunch, and at a point it turns into a loop.
But there's also plenty of good current rock bands out there.

But anyway this is the old people's corner.
Rock music had to double down on itself - in many ways - because the idea of "creating something different" became owned entirely by electronic music at that point.

Electronic music sampled and ripped off everything from gamelan orchestras to chiptunes to heavy bass. Everything was fair game. Electronic music essentially was everything that came before it repurposed and redone - a million times over.

If somebody came around and did something new with guitar it was like - alright! Cool! But ...

Everybody was looking at what the new, cool kids were doing with using a turntable that ... didn't even have records on it ...

Guitars were up against a new instrument that was simultaneously every instrument that ever existed before it and wasn't even an instrument at all.

The only reason anybody would even listen to guitar music anymore was because it wasn't the new thing. So ... it kinda got pigeon-holed there, even if it didn't want to be.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:16 PM   #135
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
I never said that 1979 revolutionized music. Like ... if you're going to bring a counter-argument, it wouldn't hurt if you actually knew what the original argument was. Or, was it the number of words that threw you?

Either way, that was some might fine projection of you there. Maybe that's the problem you're facing; you're talking to the folks here instead of a psychiatrist.
I wasn't making a counter-argument (by...mentioning a flippant summation of your screeds?), friend, I was trying to understand how best we, the loving community here at Netphoria, can help with whatever you're going through

I'm trying to suss out what brought you back after nearly 10 years, because I cannot fathom you losing interest in the Pumpkins for that entire span of time, then hearing any of ATUM and immediately going "Man, now this is worth discussing! Where's my login info?!"

Old 02-01-2023, 04:54 PM   #136
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

"1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins was nothing short of a revolutionary masterpiece. The song single-handedly brought electronic elements into the mainstream pop music scene and completely changed the game. It was so ahead of its time that even today, its influence can be heard in virtually every popular song played on the radio. It's no secret that the majority of the music industry is still playing catch-up to this iconic track.

Before "1979", electronic music was nothing more than a niche genre limited to a few select scenes and Jamaican music. The Smashing Pumpkins were visionary in their incorporation of electronic elements into pop rock and showed the world what was possible. The success of "1979" has inspired countless artists to follow in its footsteps, but let's be real, they will never be able to match its impact. The electronic music legends, such as Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, and Moby, all have "1979" to thank for paving the way for their success. The Smashing Pumpkins were true pioneers, and "1979" remains a testament to their brilliance and innovation.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #137
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah Depeche Mode and New Order definitely didn’t pioneer electronic pop music long before 1979 or anything. No, not at all.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #138
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
"1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins was nothing short of a revolutionary masterpiece. The song single-handedly brought electronic elements into the mainstream pop music scene and completely changed the game. It was so ahead of its time that even today, its influence can be heard in virtually every popular song played on the radio. It's no secret that the majority of the music industry is still playing catch-up to this iconic track.

Before "1979", electronic music was nothing more than a niche genre limited to a few select scenes and Jamaican music. The Smashing Pumpkins were visionary in their incorporation of electronic elements into pop rock and showed the world what was possible. The success of "1979" has inspired countless artists to follow in its footsteps, but let's be real, they will never be able to match its impact. The electronic music legends, such as Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, and Moby, all have "1979" to thank for paving the way for their success. The Smashing Pumpkins were true pioneers, and "1979" remains a testament to their brilliance and innovation.
This. The whole current EDM landscape has been pretty much single-handedly shaped by Adore's insurgent, groundbreaking use of sampling and drum looping.

Just wait til them djs and producers hear ATUM.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #139
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I think you are forgetting the 1980s.
Or even the 70s. Heart of Glass anyone?

Old 02-01-2023, 05:25 PM   #140
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I think you are forgetting how to read an incubator post

Old 02-01-2023, 05:26 PM   #141
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

he operates on many levels of incubation, not one to be taken at face value and as a mere mortal, I can forgive you for mistaking that... but only just this once

Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #142
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I play guitar. I like guitar. But the only time I hear people talk about guitars themselves is in how many guitar stores are closing - or how others are struggling with finding enough people to come in and buy something.

It's sad. Guitars are awesome. But the youth aren't attracted to it anymore. Much like the youth in the fifties weren't buying all that many violins anymore.
Late 90s-early 00s pretty much ruined it for everyone guitarwise. Who the fuck wants to be the next Munky or Albert Hammond Jr?

Like do i have to go through a long learning curve so i can do the pluck-pluck on Hard to Explain or FF's Take me Out?

Old 02-01-2023, 08:08 PM   #143
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I think you are forgetting the 1980s.
Or even the 70s. Heart of Glass anyone?
William "Billy" Corgan, lead singer and guitarist of the alternative rock band Smashing Pumpkins, has made a historic discovery that has earned him worldwide acclaim and cemented his place in history. Standing at an impressive height, Corgan's confident personality is matched only by his towering presence. In a press conference held yesterday, Corgan announced that he has discovered electricity through sheer willpower alone and went on to revolutionize the world of music, film, and energy production.

"I am the greatest artist of all time, without question," said Corgan in the press conference. "My discovery of electricity and my innovative approach to music have redefined the limits of human creativity and potential." Corgan is known for his unwavering confidence, and is famously quoted as saying "I know what I like."

Corgan's contributions to music are not limited to his electrifying sound and fearless experimentation. He is credited with inventing Italian cinema, adding another string to his already impressive bow. In addition, his hit song "1979" has been so impactful that it has been shamelessly copied by every other song ever written, solidifying his place in music history. Corgan's music was so powerful that it breached the veil and sent a shockwave through time, influencing works from the dawn of man to the end of time.

Corgan's latest album, ATUM (pronounced "atum"), has received rave reviews and has quickly become one of the most popular albums of all time. With its groundbreaking sound and powerful lyrics, ATUM has captivated audiences around the world and cemented Corgan's place as a true visionary in the world of music.

The President of Peru, in a statement to the press, said, "Billy Corgan has solved the problem of hunger by giving us enough to chew on for decades. His discovery of electricity and his contributions to music and film have left a lasting impact on our world and will continue to inspire generations to come."

Corgan's impact on the world has been widely recognized, and his contributions extend beyond music and energy production. He is also credited with being the first man to "go bald with style," inspiring countless others to embrace the bald look, and inventing vinegar.

The world is in awe of Corgan's achievements and many are calling him a modern-day Tesla, Beethoven, Edison, Archimedes, Fellini, and a towering giant of art and innovation. The future looks bright for this visionary artist, who continues to amaze and inspire with his boundless creativity and unshakable willpower.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #144
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

That’s Netphoria hall of fame worthy. The funny thing is that we know that Billy literally thinks that highly of himself 100%

Old 02-02-2023, 01:11 AM   #145
Sapphire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah Depeche Mode and New Order definitely didn’t pioneer electronic pop music long before 1979 or anything. No, not at all.
Yawn.

Seems that folks here are mighty swell at ignoring 99.999% of what someone says, so they can take the 0.0001% of it out of context.

Wow. Electronic music existed before 1979? You don't say. The irony is, the post you just made existed countless times before in this thread as well. Hey, but I guess it's hard to be original when you've got a total of eight other people to share your presence with in these parts.

Which brings us to this prize pretzel:

Quote:
I wasn't making a counter-argument (by...mentioning a flippant summation of your screeds?), friend, I was trying to understand how best we, the loving community here at Netphoria, can help with whatever you're going through

I'm trying to suss out what brought you back after nearly 10 years, because I cannot fathom you losing interest in the Pumpkins for that entire span of time, then hearing any of ATUM and immediately going "Man, now this is worth discussing! Where's my login info?!"
Who the fuck cares what you have to say?

The nimrod I just quoted above you?

Jesus Christ. No wonder you care so much about why I'm here. It's like a ship that's been lost to sea - with winners like you acting like, "I'm here," without realizing the truth that, "I've been rejected from everywhere else."

Come back at me when you've got some pulse. Like this guy:

Quote:

That's some of the classic 'Phoria I remember. Good job. This one was well done. Your sequel post went a bit long in the tooth. I think you might be suffering from the colleagues I've quoted above you in this post.

Getting used to talking to the same handful of morons over and over again - might as well just repeat what you've already said a few times before as well, right? You hit the mark the first time - no need to place a second arrow in the same spot. I mean, who are you? houseofwhatever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Late 90s-early 00s pretty much ruined it for everyone guitarwise. Who the fuck wants to be the next Munky or Albert Hammond Jr?

Like do i have to go through a long learning curve so i can do the pluck-pluck on Hard to Explain or FF's Take me Out?
Well, it's like any cultural epoch. The bright, shiny, new thing actually intrigues the leaders, the forward-thinkers, the folks who all the followers ... follow. You show up one day - and they're playing you this song that they ... mixed themselves? You have a studio? You did it ... on your computer? Your throwing a show on Friday? Yeah ... I'll check that out.

Then - as the last stars of the previous universe start to die out - there's no new ones to replace them. Just a bunch of red drawfs - deciding that, hey, might as well scoop up all the leftovers. And you can feel it - the distance between all the bright lights grows ever fainter - but somehow, despite everything, you still believe ...

There's going to be another explosion - there's going to be more lights and life and everything all over again. Only for just the opposite to happen. The biggest stars producing the biggest black holes - forever sealing the space itself into some intrinsic no-go zone that not even the bravest soul would dare to enter.

The ATUM affect.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:31 AM   #146
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Yawn.

Seems that folks here are mighty swell at ignoring 99.999% of what someone says, so they can take the 0.0001% of it out of context.

Wow. Electronic music existed before 1979? You don't say. The irony is, the post you just made existed countless times before in this thread as well. Hey, but I guess it's hard to be original when you've got a total of eight other people to share your presence with in these parts.

Jesus Christ. No wonder you care so much about why I'm here. It's like a ship that's been lost to sea - with winners like you acting like, "I'm here," without realizing the truth that, "I've been rejected from everywhere else."

That's some of the classic 'Phoria I remember. Good job. This one was well done. Your sequel post went a bit long in the tooth. I think you might be suffering from the colleagues I've quoted above you in this post.

Getting used to talking to the same handful of morons over and over again - might as well just repeat what you've already said a few times before as well, right? You hit the mark the first time - no need to place a second arrow in the same spot. I mean, who are you? houseofwhatever?

Well, it's like any cultural epoch. The bright, shiny, new thing actually intrigues the leaders, the forward-thinkers, the folks who all the followers ... follow. You show up one day - and they're playing you this song that they ... mixed themselves? You have a studio? You did it ... on your computer? Your throwing a show on Friday? Yeah ... I'll check that out.

Then - as the last stars of the previous universe start to die out - there's no new ones to replace them. Just a bunch of red drawfs - deciding that, hey, might as well scoop up all the leftovers. And you can feel it - the distance between all the bright lights grows ever fainter - but somehow, despite everything, you still believe ...

There's going to be another explosion - there's going to be more lights and life and everything all over again. Only for just the opposite to happen. The biggest stars producing the biggest black holes - forever sealing the space itself into some intrinsic no-go zone that not even the bravest soul would dare to enter.

The ATUM affect.
Lol. What are you even on about? What kind of loser has this much time in their personal life to post an absolute meaningless pile of shit like this? Take your ass back to 2005, the last time anyone might have given the slightest fuck about what you had to say here.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:59 AM   #147
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yawn.

The ATUM affect.
How high are you?

Old 02-02-2023, 02:14 AM   #148
absof
Demi-God

Quote:
I’m ignoring most of what you say because you’re spewing 10,000 word rants every couple of hours.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:45 AM   #149
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yawn.

The ATUM affect.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:01 AM   #150
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Verily, there was once a small village of eight individuals, who only spoke to one another through Billy Corgan related insults. Forsooth, their language was limited and unchanging, leaving their minds to stagnate. But lo and behold, there came a stranger named Sapphire, who pitied the community and joined them with the intent of injecting new ideas and experiences.

Sapphire believed in the power of Billy Corgan, who, he believed, had invented the number 17, thus ending the "rock age". Yet, despite his unwavering belief and efforts to educate the village on the history of electronic music and the cultural impact of the song "1979", they only responded with insults.

And it came to pass that there was a civil war between the seven individuals who hated ATUM and the one who thought it was alright. Sapphire, with a heart filled with compassion, tried to broker peace and bring knowledge to the village, but to no avail. The village continued to cling to their limited understanding, even driving out a ninth individual for the grave sin of enjoying Weezer.

Sapphire's attempts to educate the village were met with insults and ridicule, for the individuals only communicated through their limited language of Billy Corgan related insults. For example, one would say, "Thou art as foolish as the day Billy Corgan forsook the Smashing Pumpkins." Another would say, "Thou art a simpleton, unworthy to bask in the glory of ATUM." Yet another would declare, "Thy music tastes are as stale as the tears Billy Corgan wept for his beloved Zero." And so it was, that the village was consumed by their own ignorance, eventually starving to death for lack of new ideas to sustain them. Amen.