Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #31
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
GODSMACK Surrender
BUSH More Than Machines
OZZY OSBOURNE One Of Those Days
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Tippa My Tongue
FALLING IN REVERSE Voices In My Head
NICKELBACK San Quentin
STARSET/BREAKING BENJAMIN Waiting On The Sky T...
GHOST Spillways
SMASHING PUMPKINS Beguiled
This cannot be fucking real. You grabbed a chart from 2002 and threw Beguiled at the end as a joke, right?

... Right?

Old 11-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #32
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
The hit song no one is talking about
That or there is just a lot of shit rock music out currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
These are perhaps the most netphorian responses ever to this type of news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
GODSMACK Surrender
BUSH More Than Machines
OZZY OSBOURNE One Of Those Days
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Tippa My Tongue
FALLING IN REVERSE Voices In My Head
NICKELBACK San Quentin
STARSET/BREAKING BENJAMIN Waiting On The Sky T...
GHOST Spillways
SMASHING PUMPKINS Beguiled
And I rest my case

Old 11-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #33
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Ah.. the sweet power of payola!

Old 11-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #34
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So basically there's no new rock bands

Old 11-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #35
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Beguiled is one of the worst songs I've ever heard lol
Grateful I'm not alone, I was starting to get worried that whatever little standards Netphoria had left were beaten out of us by the one-two punch of CYR + ATUM

Old 11-30-2022, 12:59 PM   #36
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
So basically there's no new rock bands
there are plenty, just none that are actually allowed past the firmly locked gates of the "Hollywood Mainstream" anymore. the whole Napster era was apparently an irrefutable fuckup for them. new artists can maybe breakthrough on Spotify, Bandcamp or touring but as far as whatever drives the uh, "charts," as far as we're concerned is just a grammy-level group of either old out of touch idiots or young conservatives. or hell, maybe nobody at all! (ever looked inside the ghost town of a modern-day FM radio station? lolol)

Old 11-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #37
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

it's the same shit that drives "Best New Rock Album!" being Muse, Coldplay, an ex-Beatle & the Rolling Stones practically every year

Old 11-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #38
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:

And I rest my case
you're missing the point. the single is an indisputable success. a lot of people are listening to it. it does not matter at all what the other big songs are right now. they're back at the top of the charts (the industry-standard metric for success). that's a huge victory for the band no matter what you happen to think about the song.

it's only positive.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:56 PM   #39
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
there are plenty, just none that are actually allowed past the firmly locked gates of the "Hollywood Mainstream" anymore. the whole Napster era was apparently an irrefutable fuckup for them. new artists can maybe breakthrough on Spotify, Bandcamp or touring but as far as whatever drives the uh, "charts," as far as we're concerned is just a grammy-level group of either old out of touch idiots or young conservatives. or hell, maybe nobody at all! (ever looked inside the ghost town of a modern-day FM radio station? lolol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
it's the same shit that drives "Best New Rock Album!" being Muse, Coldplay, an ex-Beatle & the Rolling Stones practically every year
absolutely.

and this is what they've been trying to break across since, idk, MCIS?

It's astonishing to me that Beguiled is working so well. And I think Empires, the next single, is a better song. Not that that means anything. But it makes me think: where is this whole thing going to go? Did BC actually figure it all out?

Old 11-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #40
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Hate the song rather bitterly

But im happy for big willie he’s been trying so hard to get back on the radio

Also seems more listeners there will be more interest from the industry side for that golden archive stuff, maybe some slick label dick will convince big willie to start making easy money off digital downloads for example

Old 11-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #41
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, it hardly seems like a win to be charting beneath these songs (that Bush song is ... ). If anything, it highlights how bad their other music has been doing to be charting worse than Beguiled for the past 15 years.

Wasn't Cyr their highest charting song since 2007 prior to Beguiled?

Old 11-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #42
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post

Wasn't Cyr their highest charting song since 2007 prior to Beguiled?
Freak.

Alternative Airplay:
Freak #34
Cyr #35
Silvery #41
Celestials #45
Solara #46
One and All #47

Mainstream:
Tarantula #6
GLOW: #25
That's the Way #32
One and All #34

Old 11-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #43
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Also seems more listeners there will be more interest from the industry side for that golden archive stuff, maybe some slick label dick will convince big willie to start making easy money off digital downloads for example
This is a great reason to be excited about it.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #44
LaBelle
Socialphobic

That's really surprising I listened to Beguiled a couple times and remember nothing about it.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #45
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
That's really surprising I listened to Beguiled a couple times and remember nothing about it.
Burn down the sun?

Old 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM   #46
paranoid
Minion of Satan

[quote=run2pee;4611225}

Also seems more listeners there will be more interest from the industry side for that golden archive stuff, maybe some slick label dick will convince big willie to start making easy money off digital downloads for example[/QUOTE]

maybe there's now reason to release the machina reissue. maybe?

Old 11-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #47
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
you're missing the point. the single is an indisputable success. a lot of people are listening to it. it does not matter at all what the other big songs are right now. they're back at the top of the charts (the industry-standard metric for success). that's a huge victory for the band no matter what you happen to think about the song.

it's only positive.
Except these are just top airplay lists and not actual streams/sales. It only means the song is being played at the right time of day when people are tuned in to the radio.

"Billboard’s radio charts are compiled using information tracked by Nielsen Music, which electronically monitors radio stations in more than 140 markets across the United States. The Nielsen Music system looks for an audio fingerprint, i.e. a characteristic that differentiates a song from all of the other ones that it tracks.

Certain airplay charts are based on the number of plays that each song received in a given format that week: Mainstream Top 40, Adult Contemporary, Adult Top 40, Alternative, Triple A, Active Rock, Heritage Rock, Mainstream Rock, Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop, Rhythmic, Adult R&B, Christian AC Songs, Gospel Songs, Dance Airplay and Smooth Jazz Songs. Others are based on audience impressions: Hot 100 Airplay, Rock Airplay, Country Airplay, Rap Airplay, Christian Songs, Latin Airplay and Latin airplay charts.

The audience charts cross-reference Nielsen Music data with listener information compiled by the Arbitron ratings system to determine the approximate number of audience impressions made for each play. Thus, a song that plays at 4 a.m. does not count as much as one played at 4 p.m., and a station with a large audience will influence the chart more than either a station in a smaller market or one with a specialized format that attracts less audience.

With few exceptions, stations tracked for Billboard by Nielsen Music are commercial stations."

These airplay charts do not equate sales or actually being any good. For example, Rocket and Today both only reached 28 on Mainstream Rock Airplay while Cherub Rock reached 23 and Zero only peaked at 15 and Thirty Three at 18. Meanwhile Solara peaked at 26 and G.L.O.W. at 25.

You really think Beguiled is more popular? I guess this means ATUM is gonna be bigger than Siamese Dream.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 11-30-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:52 PM   #48
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
These airplay charts do not equate sales or actually being any good. For example, Rocket and Today both only reached 28 on Mainstream Rock Airplay while Cherub Rock reached 23 and Zero only peaked at 15 and Thirty Three at 18. Meanwhile Solara peaked at 26 and G.L.O.W. at 25.

You really think Beguiled is more popular? I guess this means ATUM is gonna be bigger than Siamese Dream.
A top 10 rock song on any official chart means that a band has cracked through a difficult gauntlet to reach a level of popularity and success suggestive of wide commercial appeal. It means the song is working, somehow, and working extremely well. It's an incredible feat for SP at this stage of things. That opens many doors, opportunities, directions.

That's all it means.

Album sales are way different now than in 1993. You can't compare two eras from two radically different mass communication regimes.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:59 PM   #49
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I’m wondering if the increased radio play has to do with their LiveNation deal with the recent tours. LiveNation is a big stakeholder in iHeartMedia (Clear Channel renamed) who controls most of mainstream radio in the US.

I remember clearly listening to a morning radio show back when Monuments came out and the female DJ said SP had a new album out and that she’s been trying to convince her boss to let them play the single and he said no. They continually have played the 90’s hits of the band but for years they would not touch the new stuff.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 PM   #50
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Burn down the sun?
You won't get me with this test, that is clearly with ado I do

Old 11-30-2022, 06:15 PM   #51
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I’m wondering if the increased radio play has to do with their LiveNation deal with the recent tours. LiveNation is a big stakeholder in iHeartMedia (Clear Channel renamed) who controls most of mainstream radio in the US.
good point. but Shiny tour was also Live Nation and Solara didn't come close to charting as high as Beguiled.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #52
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah that’s true. Solara was a pretty dreadful song though and his vocals were terrible and croaky on it. He sounds a bit better on Beguiled and overall it’s catchier with better production. Rubin’s production on SoSB was atrocious.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #53
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah that’s true. Solara was a pretty dreadful song though and his vocals were terrible and croaky on it. He sounds a bit better on Beguiled and overall it’s catchier with better production. Rubin’s production on SoSB was atrocious.
definitely catchier.

agreed with Rubin's production.

Ol' Bill got his groove back.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #54
Ram27
dumb

i want to hope the rest of it will be good, but i feel like we all in the back of our minds are bracing for 20 more godawful fucking synth tracks

Old 11-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Braindead

There's no doubt about that, Ram

Old 11-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #56
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i want to hope the rest of it will be good, but i feel like we all in the back of our minds are bracing for 20 more godawful fucking synth tracks

ram

you need to

return the faith

Old 11-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #57
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
A top 10 rock song on any official chart means that a band has cracked through a difficult gauntlet to reach a level of popularity and success suggestive of wide commercial appeal. It means the song is working, somehow, and working extremely well. It's an incredible feat for SP at this stage of things. That opens many doors, opportunities, directions.
Not really, it actually means you’ve ended up in the minor leagues, strictly confined to a genre/scene that is no longer very popular.

Cracking the Hot 100 is charting high and doing extremely well.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:02 PM   #58
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Not really, it actually means you’ve ended up in the minor leagues, strictly confined to a genre/scene that is no longer very popular.

It seems silly to belabor the point with you that this is their biggest, most popular song in 15 years and how that is a very good thing for the band at this point in their career.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:56 PM   #59
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post

Hmmm u know what didn’t big willie himself say something like im not competing with the veddies or the Kurt’s or the nickelbacks of the world, im competing with the child pop artists who are actually interesting to actual children

Old 11-30-2022, 10:27 PM   #60
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Few rock bands that any of us would want to actually listen to crack the Hot 100 these days. Rock lost its cultural relevance due to a number of factors few of which have anything to do with the genre itself. SP getting to 9 or 10 on the Rock chart is still a decent achievement in this day and age especially for a band this far removed from its prime.