Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Matt Sweeney Rig Rundown

For anyone who may be interested...

Old 05-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Matt has the absolute hardest time waiting for the other guy to finish asking a question—the interruptions and fidgeting impatience were frustrating to watch, ha. But cool rig rundown.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I like sweeneys videos where guests are guitarists. Funny boy

Old 05-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #4
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Purple house on N. Greenview Ave Chicago, the year is 1993

Fuck he looks baked.

As for rig rundowns, no one will ever beat Billie Joe Armstrong's laidback gum-chewing guitar tech.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:42 AM   #5
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s funny how he can’t stand still when talking but as soon as he’s playing he’s like a statue.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
srt4b
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Itís funny how he canít stand still when talking but as soon as heís playing heís like a statue.
drugs

Old 05-26-2022, 12:49 PM   #7
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Is he even that good of a guitarist? Are there any Zwan songs that he plays prominently on? When I listed to the album, I always assume I am just hearing BC overdubs.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #8
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

The greats: Clapton, Van Halen, Gilmour, Hendrix, Sweeney

Old 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Is he even that good of a guitarist? Are there any Zwan songs that he plays prominently on? When I listed to the album, I always assume I am just hearing BC overdubs.
He's fine. I'd say he's no better or worse than James. You can see in the video below he was playing a lot of the lead riffs during "Honestly" which I can easily imagine James playing.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I'd say he's a more technically capable guitarist than James is/was, although as he points out in the video (somewhat smugly) he really does not play in the traditional rock music style anymore. He has that distinct style he shows off in the video of noodling around with his fingers. These days, I know people primarily utilize him for his acoustic guitar work; which is where I'd say he greatly excels over Billy Corgan as a guitarist. For all of his issues with Matt, Corgan has always held firm that he was an excellent musician and a quick learner, which I'd say is further evidenced by the fact that he's a fairly in-demand session guitarist.

As for his context within Zwan, Matt Sweeney and David Pajo were both much more capable of most of that they ended up doing in the band, but it seemed even in the beginning of the band, Billy wanted all the big guitar solo moments with David and Matt filling in the spaces (much like James did in Smashing Pumpkins). Listen to a bootleg of a Zwan show and you can distinctly hear what each guitarist plays. Sweeney and Pajo are both all over the album, but because of the mix favoring Corgan's guitar and the brickwalled sound of the album, it's hard to distinguish the individual parts unless you've heard them live as a point of reference. On the bootleg of the final Zwan show, they keep "Honestly" going on for a bit, and all three guitarists solo at once. It's a rare moment other than "Mary Star of the Sea" where they really have all three guitarists playing crazy lead lines at once, and is one of the coolest moments I've heard from a Billy Corgan related show since the old lineup of the Pumpkins.

Much like James, Matt seems to have a good sense of when "less is more." He plays the solo on "Of A Broken Heart," which is very simple, but one of the prettiest guitar moments on the album.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I love his playing and mostly agree with his ideas but

man matt sweeney is hard to watch. lol

Old 05-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Much like James, Matt seems to have a good sense of when "less is more." He plays the solo on "Of A Broken Heart," which is very simple, but one of the prettiest guitar moments on the album.
Great call on this.
Always liked that particular moment. Like a nicely different indie kind of flavor. Kind of an outlier moment in BC's body of work. Zwan had so much potential, such a grand waste.

Old 05-26-2022, 04:37 PM   #13
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Is he even that good of a guitarist?
Looks over personality. He played the part of the 2000s indie guitarist really well and it paid off but he's a pretty average musician. Chavez were good.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)

solid post/av, Chris

Old 05-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #15
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I'd say he's a more technically capable guitarist than James is/was, although as he points out in the video (somewhat smugly) he really does not play in the traditional rock music style anymore. He has that distinct style he shows off in the video of noodling around with his fingers. These days, I know people primarily utilize him for his acoustic guitar work; which is where I'd say he greatly excels over Billy Corgan as a guitarist. For all of his issues with Matt, Corgan has always held firm that he was an excellent musician and a quick learner, which I'd say is further evidenced by the fact that he's a fairly in-demand session guitarist.

As for his context within Zwan, Matt Sweeney and David Pajo were both much more capable of most of that they ended up doing in the band, but it seemed even in the beginning of the band, Billy wanted all the big guitar solo moments with David and Matt filling in the spaces (much like James did in Smashing Pumpkins). Listen to a bootleg of a Zwan show and you can distinctly hear what each guitarist plays. Sweeney and Pajo are both all over the album, but because of the mix favoring Corgan's guitar and the brickwalled sound of the album, it's hard to distinguish the individual parts unless you've heard them live as a point of reference. On the bootleg of the final Zwan show, they keep "Honestly" going on for a bit, and all three guitarists solo at once. It's a rare moment other than "Mary Star of the Sea" where they really have all three guitarists playing crazy lead lines at once, and is one of the coolest moments I've heard from a Billy Corgan related show since the old lineup of the Pumpkins.

That is a lovely part on Of a Broken Heart, thx. I wasn't able to track down this Honestly with my lazy Youtube search. It was nice to revisit some of their live shows though.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #16
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
solid post/av, Chris

Old 05-27-2022, 05:28 AM   #17
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I keep expecting the guy he's talking to to say "Ok so give me five more reps and then we'll move on to cardio" or something like that

Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #18
strtj
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Chavez were good.
Chavez were fucking great, but I'm pretty sure Sweeney Todd didn't write any of those songs himself. He was a hired gun then and he's a hired gun now.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #19
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I do not know who wrote the songs in Chavez (although if I had to guess, it would be credited to all of them), but he was the front man of the band. Hard to say he was a hired gun. I'm not particularly passionate about Sweeney, but funny to see that certain people on this board seem to have it out for him more than Billy Corgan.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #20
strtj
Pledge

Quote:
I do not know who wrote the songs in Chavez (although if I had to guess, it would be credited to all of them), but he was the front man of the band. Hard to say he was a hired gun. I'm not particularly passionate about Sweeney, but funny to see that certain people on this board seem to have it out for him more than Billy Corgan.
Go check the credits on the CDs then, your boy is nowhere to be found in the writing or publishing

Old 05-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #21
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)

i love watching matt in the guitar moves series or whatev, but i'll admit the stuff about "There's real guitar & there's rock guitar" etc on this vid was pretty "pretensh"

Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

I like Sweeney a lot but had to unfollow him off of all social media

Old 05-28-2022, 02:30 AM   #23
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't think people have it out for the Sweeney. He just happens to represent a once gloriously overhyped indie music scene that despite all the efforts of the pitchforx, never really broke through to the general public.

It's just lighthearted mockery. I mean he went from Chavez to self-proclaimed "hard rocker on joints by @Adele" LMAO

Old 05-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #24
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
Go check the credits on the CDs then, your boy is nowhere to be found in the writing or publishing
No idea what you're on about, lol. He was the frontman. The whole band gets songwriting credits, including him. He's right there.

Quote:
His touch is all over live Zwan, and it's always very tasteful and melodic:

(Solo from 2:05)

https://archive.org/details/zwan2001...11-21d1t10.shn
(Shinning Path, solo from 3:10 - the way he controls how distorted his tone sounds by how he attacks the strings is so good, great sense of dynamics, and he knows just when to do that)

Last edited by Rairun : 05-28-2022 at 09:16 PM.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #25
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Matt Sweeney is fidgety but he's a great interview! He just seems excited, possibly stoned, most of the time.

Heres a nice long podcast with Malkmus that Sweeney did recently where they talk at length about Pavement and its a genuinely good time.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2Y1...QhuoJjEnPKhIMA

Old 05-29-2022, 06:54 PM   #26
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
Have all my CDs in storage, but just looked up the songwriting credits on TIDAL. As I thought, it lists the songwriters on literally every single one of their songs as composed by: James Lo, Matt Sweeney, Scott Marshall, and Clay Taylor: a.k.a. the whole band. So fuck off and die.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:20 AM   #27
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Matt is a highly respected guitarist who has worked with fucking Adele.

Zwan was the best band Billy ever had, and he threw it away chasing his former fame

Old 05-30-2022, 07:58 AM   #28
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
i love watching matt in the guitar moves series or whatev, but i'll admit the stuff about "There's real guitar & there's rock guitar" etc on this vid was pretty "pretensh"
seriously
and then goes on to show the TWO finger picking motifs he knows, and boast about how that's about everything he does. dude you play guitar...

but I totally get the "sounding like shit" appeal. I remember having a rig chain at one point (About 15k worth) and with one shite bitcrusher pedal making it all sound like a 50$ peavey rage158 - it was amazing. beautiful huge sounding high quality shit.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #29
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
which I can easily imagine James playing
Except, James could never write it.

Matt and Pajo are actual artists in their own right, and their only crime was not wanting to be in a mainstream Billy project. It's a shame they signed NDAs.

Pajo has said online that he has a CD of MSoTS with no Billy on it. I hope he leaks it one day!

Old 05-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #30
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
and their only crime was not wanting to be in a mainstream Billy project.
Bet they did want to be a part of that mainstream Billy project and actually rushed to it.

The $100 lobster tale, drugs, Pajo's affair with the producer's gf...