Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #391
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

To play on the radio or something? I mean, that's the weirdest thing about Billy. It seems like he's desperate to be musically relevant/popular again, still he refuses doing the easiest thing to get there, which would be writing an album in the style of SD or MCIS.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 04-07-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #392
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
To play on the radio or something? I mean, that's the weirdest thing about Billy. It seems like he's desperate to be musically relevant/popular again, still he refuses doing the easiest thing to get there, which would be writing an album in the style of SD or MCIS.
You realize how insane this sounds right? Billy thinks he's talented enough to "do it again" on different terms. He compares himself to Lennon, Dylan, and Young all the time. He thinks he's on that level. Writing those 90s styles of songs again will be him admitting defeat and realizing hes not as great as he thinks he is (which will never happen).

Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #393
slunken
Virgo

Since Zwan, I blame his management with fucking his head over.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #394
slunken
Virgo

"i wrote rat in a fucking cage why shouldn't i switch to the zither? i'm a genius afterall"

Old 04-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #395
slunken
Virgo

like,

dude,

look

Old 04-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #396
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

He thought he could take a sharp turn on Adore and when it "didn't work" commercially it broke him and he keeps trying

Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 PM   #397
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
RHCL
Red Hot Chili Lepers?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #398
slunken
Virgo

it would be pretty funny if tony changed the name of the band slightly for each release

Old 04-08-2021, 04:17 AM   #399
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania was the deep dive revisit of some old school Pumpkins tropes. Looking back it was pretty successful compared to what came after but I'd bet Corgan would think it didn't work to push the band to the levels of the 90s

Old 04-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #400
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He's a smart guy and must know that (with all due respect) an overweight, bald 50 something with a weird voice making vaguely gothy synth pop isn't going to have a massive hit today. He's making the music he wants to make and he chats a lot of shit in interviews.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:49 AM   #401
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
He's a smart guy and must know that (with all due respect) an overweight, bald 50 something with a weird voice making vaguely gothy synth pop isn't going to have a massive hit today. He's making the music he wants to make and he chats a lot of shit in interviews.
Is this the guy you're talking about?

Old 04-08-2021, 05:21 AM   #402
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
why is everyone who's making this claim oblivious to the fact that he unsuccessfully tried already?

a song like Quasar is a clear example of trying to bring back the SD rawr

Old 04-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #403
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Is this the guy you're talking about?

Yeah that’s the guy!! That’s him !!

Old 04-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #404
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

if we look at the sum of all the parts that make up SP as an organism, then billy's songwriting has naturally aged and deteriorated from the early 20s peak, of course, but it's still in decent shape. he can still speak to me emotionally sometimes, behind walls of bad sound and off singing.

if his songs could still get the refinement and the orchestration that they once did from jc/iha + tasteful d'arcy judgement calls, i don't see why SP couldn't kick ass today as well. listening to their new music is a horrible experience in how good artists can psyche themselves out so badly that it's almost like they're making exclusively wrong choices.

whenever i listen to a bad SP 8.0 song it just screams for more decently produced vocals, a mix that wasn't totally ruined, more variety in parts. you know they're all capable of doing it, but they're just phoning something in, for whatever reason. it can be not caring that much anymore, or it can be because "they're trying to compete" in the music biz. either way it just does not feel sincere and worth listening to

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 04-08-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #405
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
why is everyone who's making this claim oblivious to the fact that he unsuccessfully tried already?

a song like Quasar is a clear example of trying to bring back the SD rawr
AMEN

And Doomsday fucking Clock? United Statez? Solara?

If he were able to write another Cherub or Bullet or 1979 he would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #406
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He's going to take the sweet outside with this MCIS sequel. You'll see.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #407
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Can't wait! Think about all the dry-ass metal riffs and factory preset synth sounds he's going to cram into a 33-song opus magnum.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #408
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Oceania was the deep dive revisit of some old school Pumpkins tropes. Looking back it was pretty successful compared to what came after but I'd bet Corgan would think it didn't work to push the band to the levels of the 90s
There were no singles on it! None!

A few ok hooks later on in the album but the first half of Oceania is forgettable bottom-tier Pumpkins.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #409
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

that was on purpose it was an absolutely groundbreaking full album experience.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #410
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I mean he'd just recorded Tom, Tom, Owata etc. Nobody heard them because they part of the Teargarden project, and their production was crappy.

But scrub them up and they'd have made a stronger first half than... I can't even remember the tracks from the first half of Oceania honestly... One Candle One Fart, The Celestials... whatever Zzz.

Yes, those Teargarden tracks are better songs than most of Oceania, they were just produced in the worst possible way.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 04-08-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #411
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

If you were sat on the material for Oceania... something like this would've been more commercially viable (pretending for a second the TG tracks were re-recorded).

Teargarden (Theme)
Panopticon
Freak
Tom Tom
My Love Is Winter
Owata
The Chimera
Pinwheels
Oceania
Pale Horse
Glissandra
Inkless
Spangled (Hidden track: Cottonwood Symphony)

Quasar is fucking terrible, replaced with Teargarden theme out of disrespect.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 04-08-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #412
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Something like this would've been more commercially viable:

Produced by Jack Antonoff
Beautiful woman on the cover instead of a tower that contains such fragile beauty
Same songs but played slower and 2 steps down
WPC sings like Roger Miret of Agnostic Front fame
Put a banging donk on it

Old 04-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #413
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Something like this would've been more commercially viable:

Produced by Jack Antonoff
Beautiful woman on the cover instead of a tower that contains such fragile beauty
Same songs but played slower and 2 steps down
WPC sings like Roger Miret of Agnostic Front fame
Put a banging donk on it
Triple platinum.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #414
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Cyr could also be improved by having Roger Miret do all of the vocals and changing the lyrics to cover typical Roger Miret topics like living for the scene, dying for the scene, defending the scene and being betrayed by people within the scene.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #415
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania would've been better with Jimmy on drums (clearly) and a little bit of trimming. Like, we didn't really need One Diamond One Heart. But on a recent listen I was surprised as to the quality of tracks like Pale Horse, especially in comparison with the more recent albums.

SD existed because at that time that was a sound - shoegaze / grunge / 70s rock all went into the stew. He just took elements from Catherine, MBV, Zeppelin, Queen, and heavy metal, sang like a girl and gave the songs weird one-word titles. But that was a very 90s thing anyway.

This 33 track album could be anything, but I doubt we're getting another Cyr. I'd say what we'll get is something more like Teargarden, but with Jimmy on drums.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #416
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He said recently on Later...With Jools Holland (uk people can catch it on iplayer) that they set "a marker" in the 90s and then gave everyone 20 or so years to catch up. Now he's heard some contemporary acts that have caught up (he named Ohhms, The Microdance, Guilty Parents and some others) he's going to set another market but this time he's "extremely confident" that'll take way more than 20 years for anyone to catch up. He described it as "SP plus plus".

Old 04-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #417
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
He said recently on Later...With Jools Holland (uk people can catch it on iplayer) that they set "a marker" in the 90s and then gave everyone 20 or so years to catch up. Now he's heard some contemporary acts that have caught up (he named Ohhms, The Microdance, Guilty Parents and some others) he's going to set another market but this time he's "extremely confident" that'll take way more than 20 years for anyone to catch up. He described it as "SP plus plus".

Not actually a recent episode I take it?

Old 04-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #418
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
SD existed because at that time that was a sound - shoegaze / grunge / 70s rock all went into the stew. He just took elements from Catherine, MBV, Zeppelin, Queen, and heavy metal, sang like a girl and gave the songs weird one-word titles. But that was a very 90s thing anyway.
Had it been so easy, everyone would have done it.

A lot of it was a product of pure, young, unfiltered talent, sensibility and luck. The moment he started overthinking, everything went to shit. The fucking gowns...

Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #419
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Link? Recently... (?)

Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #420
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
I can guarantee with utmost certainty that he's never heard The Microdance and even if he had, he'd hate it with spiteful venom!
Of course he’d be upset. Track #2 off your album is basically a rip-off of Mouths of Babes!