Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Tommy Lee

Let's talk about how he sounds on this album. I think this warrants its own thread.

I was never really aware of him as a drummer, but I'm impressed by the musicianship of his parts. He can certainly find the pocket. I don't think it's worth it to compare him to Jimmy because it's a different band with him behind the kit.

I'm perfectly alright with him being in the band.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

He has hepatitis.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, he definitely has more power behind his playing than with Byrne.
I wouldn't say Tommy Lee's drumming was amazing on this album, but it suited the tracks.
I do wish he would go a little crazier, some more fills, but the album is pretty direct and straightforward.

I wish Billy would get Matt Walker back in...
he seemed like the only other drummer that had the right vibe with the SP sound out of all the drummers Billy has gone through.

I wonder how Josh Freese would sound rocking some classic Pumpkins tracks.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Josh Freese is pretty bad ass...

Old 12-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

Josh Freese might be the best alternative session drummer of the last 20 years.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I love his work on A Perfect Circle

and i got to see him drumming for NIN live and he delivered
i've seen NIN with 3 different drummers and he was the best

Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 12-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #8
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
Let's talk about how he sounds on this album.
Here's a fill which I like...simple & very tasteful...at 3:03 >>>

Direct link:
http://youtu.be/Wxo56E7nJdo?t=3m3s

Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
pineapple*soul
Ownz

I think it's really interesting how he does absolutely nothing to sound like Jimmy Chamberlin. Byrne was totally aiming for JC but we only got JC-lite. And it was horrible. Lee does a good job of doing a 'good job', nothing more.

I think it's something of a glimpse into what SP might have been like if they still turned to rock without ever meeting JC*. A less interesting, more straightforward, almost 'classic rock' band. Definitely wouldn't have been my favourite band of all time.

* If I remember correctly it was Jimmy's talent that gave Billy the confidence to write rock songs. Before JC they were more of a no-wave band.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
pineapple*soul
Ownz

Also Josh Freese is a spectacular drummer, one of my favourites, but he would be no good for SP.

But Freese on a Billy Corgan solo album, a heavier sequel to The Future Embrace, would be awesome

Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple*soul View Post
* If I remember correctly it was Jimmy's talent that gave Billy the confidence to write rock songs. Before JC they were more of a no-wave band.
It's still mind-boggling to me that this is the same band >>>

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
pineapple*soul
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

>
Wow, haven't listened to this in ages. Even though it's a real simple beat, you can really hear Jimmy pushing the song forward, trying to drive it's energy higher. It's actually poor time-keeping from him, he needs to sit behind the beat in a song like this. But that poor-time keeping is probably exactly what drove the band into higher-energy jam sessions leading to higher energy songs, and then you get:

Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
pineapple*soul
Ownz

It's often reported that Jimmy was offered but didn't want to join SP, and then he saw them play the Metro with a drum machine and liked something about the songs and Billy's energy. He must have some mad talent spotting skillz because I see very very little of future SP in their pre-Rock material

Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
Ram27
dumb

I'm pretty disappointed with his part on Being Beige

His part there is the equivalent of playing

Code:
H|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S|----o-------o---|
B|o-o-----o-o-----|
on Wound

I mean I guess that's what Billy wanted or whatever. It's just...not fun to listen to. I honestly did not know that Tommy Lee was such a legendary drummer like Billy's making him out to be

I understand that he's not trying to play like JC, but his way of playing just doesn't mesh with Billy's songs like it could.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I wish Billy would get Matt Walker back in...
he seemed like the only other drummer that had the right vibe with the SP sound out of all the drummers Billy has gone through.
Billy has admitted that he forced Matt to play like Jimmy would and that he regrets it

Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
kingchris
Amish Rake Fighter

Tommy has been much more than a drummer for this album. He has actually been a voice of reason when Billy starts to go off on some weird tangent. There has been interviews where he told Billy that Drum and Fife wasn't up to par and he added his own changes and now it's a single.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
in stereo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchris View Post
Tommy has been much more than a drummer for this album. He has actually been a voice of reason when Billy starts to go off on some weird tangent. There has been interviews where he told Billy that Drum and Fife wasn't up to par and he added his own changes and now it's a single.
Totally agree. It figures that Billy would listen to someone like Tommy, who has more money and fame than he does. I can't imagine Jeff interjecting that he thinks a song is boring...Billy would just roll his eyes and carry on.

It would be interesting to see what Billy & Tommy could come up with if they had longer to work together (instead of only a few weeks).

Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Liking the drums quite a bit. At least it's not distracting in the way that Byrne's were, although I still think he was a much bigger problem live.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchris View Post

>>>

Quote:
"Drum + Fife' was originally a folk song. We really had a problem getting it off its almost dour Irish balladeer aspect. And I must give a lot of credit to Tommy Lee, because he’s the one who turned the corner. Without saying it he was reacting in a way that told me he thought it was a bit boring. Tommy loves energy. Tommy wants to feel excitement. So he’s playing the song and he’s like ‘ I know this is a good song but it’s just not working.’ And he said to me ‘Do you mind if I tinker around with it?’ And so he got on the computer and used his experience in dance music and kind of turned the corner and found some loops and some beats and suddenly I was like…'wow'. It’s almost like mid 80s new wave or something and it reminded me a little bit of early U2 or Big Country. The open strut made the Irish ballad part of the song come alive and have more of a expansive quality and from there on it got a lot easier"
Source:
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/h...-nme-exclusive

Old 12-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm pretty disappointed with his part on Being Beige

His part there is the equivalent of playing

Code:
H|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S|----o-------o---|
B|o-o-----o-o-----|
on Wound

I mean I guess that's what Billy wanted or whatever. It's just...not fun to listen to. I honestly did not know that Tommy Lee was such a legendary drummer like Billy's making him out to be

I understand that he's not trying to play like JC, but his way of playing just doesn't mesh with Billy's songs like it could.
That's not Tommy though, that's the guy from Rage.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Man, wound is a great song. Probably at this point my favorite on machina and in fact, one of my fav sp song ever.

I believe the girl responsible for me joining this forum was at this musique plus performance. God i cant believe they still had live bands as late as 2000. It's like mtv now, no actual music.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #22
werideatdusk
Ownz

It hasn't been said enough but I really think Billy alone does not know how to record and produce drums very well. Clearly T Lee had some input on how his drums would be recorded and produced. The drums on this have a LOT more space and naturalism, while still being hard hitting and modern. The drums on Oceania sound so artificial and compressed that they feel programmed. And the drum sounds on Teargarden are all over the map but mostly pretty limp and tinny. Zeitgeist still has the most impressive drum sound out of any SP album aside from possibly Siamese.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Code:
H|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S|----o-------o---|
B|o-o-----o-o-----|

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-04-2014/Gly7qO.gif

Old 12-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #24
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
It hasn't been said enough but I really think Billy alone does not know how to record and produce drums very well. Clearly T Lee had some input on how his drums would be recorded and produced. The drums on this have a LOT more space and naturalism, while still being hard hitting and modern. The drums on Oceania sound so artificial and compressed that they feel programmed. And the drum sounds on Teargarden are all over the map but mostly pretty limp and tinny. Zeitgeist still has the most impressive drum sound out of any SP album aside from possibly Siamese.
I agree, they were especially noticeably bad on Teargarden's earlier tracks. I thought Kerry Brown was sabotaging Mike or something on purpose to make him look bad.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
It's still mind-boggling to me that this is the same band >>>

fixed

Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
fixed
LOL...those VIP performances were truly awful...

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #27
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
Billy has admitted that he forced Matt to play like Jimmy would and that he regrets it
but Billy is cool with forcing Byrne to try and play like Jimmy?
i rather have Walker trying to sound like JC than Byrne any day.

hearing live recordings, Walker was able to keep that energy of the Pumpkins. do i want him to drum exactly like JC on new SP? no. but out of all the drummers they went through, he stands out being precise and still keep that edge.

Tommy Lee definitely helped make this new album sound better than if Byrne was still in the band, but the drumming on this record is still pretty basic and rigid.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Ram27
dumb

I know Netpho hates Dave Grohl but I'd like to see him drum for SP.

He has the same heavy hitting style as TL but I respect him more as a person/musician, which is nice. His drumming helped make Nirvana relevant, as well

Old 12-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #29
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-04-2014/8Z7LPT.gif

Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Man, wound is a great song. Probably at this point my favorite on machina and in fact, one of my fav sp song ever.

I believe the girl responsible for me joining this forum was at this musique plus performance. God i cant believe they still had live bands as late as 2000. It's like mtv now, no actual music.
Musique Plus was awesome. I remember they had a 1 hour show on every night around 9 with all of the new and latest alternative, rock, punk and ska bands. The kinda groups you wouldn't normally seen played in their rotation or anything. I watched that religiously.