Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #211
pumpkins
Ownz

Billy doesn't want to live in the past, but the reason why he's still here is because of his past. Imagine a new band coming to a producer or whatever with Beguiled and saying: here's our hit single, it will be massive, world class... Would anyone put money or any kind of effort whatsoever in this?

Old 09-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #212
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
It makes me wonder if original Pumpkins material was also this shitty and all the magic came from the producer. Obviously Billy and Jimmy could play really well, but maybe they were just taking directions and it's all been covered up by the lore.
Try to imagine "Beguiled" produced & mixed by Flood. I think the reception would be much better. There was a muddiness to his work with the band that define the 1995+ sound. As much as my favorite tone/sound comes from Siamese Dream, I don't know if Butch Vig would be able to fix SP2 as much as Flood could.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #213
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaPhreak View Post
Even Cyr is better than this.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #214
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

LMAO

Old 09-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #215
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Or like when you said the Machina reissue would be announced last night.
I figured that's what Chole/Zuzu announcement would be. I still have yet to get a newsletter from Zuzu's. I'm just speculating bro.

The VIP thing is just the SP email:

Old 09-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #216
jalora
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Wasn't there someone else on here using that same racist avatar image (probably from the Frogs; it didn't age well)? Why recycle it?
Member since 1999. It was probably me.

And "Racially Yours" has aged just fine. I guarantee it's a better album than "ATUM" is going to be.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #217
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

“Racist avatar image” lmao the virtue signaling idiots are at it again

Old 09-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #218
krackhead
Apocalyptic Poster

This music sucks B0lly.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #219
mpp
Minion of Satan

It’s no marquis in spades

Old 09-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #220
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

1 day in and has 30k views. Not great Bill.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #221
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

The Youtube comments are being heavily monitored, anything remotely critical is getting deleted

Old 09-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #222
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
We did get to see Jack Bates rocking the fuck out, so that made it worthwhile.

Songs is good, but the hook doesn't stay with me. Fun video.
I like the production\tone... feels like an extension of CYR, but with hints of Jimmy's actual drums in the mix. Sounds better than the Rubin record.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #223
Ram27
dumb

played beguiled on drums and it is boring. it's the same chugga chugga riff all through - there needs to be a section that's a total blissout, following those warm chords

the part's harder than necessary because if you don't play double time on the hihat and just play quarter notes [like JC is] it becomes more annoying and tricky to syncopate properly

it kinda felt like being handcuffed. playing all this slightly aggro distortion stuff but then there's no RELEASE! there's no structure! the song doesn't go anywhere or make me feel anything! it's just notes!

Old 09-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #224
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalora View Post
Member since 1999. It was probably me.

And "Racially Yours" has aged just fine. I guarantee it's a better album than "ATUM" is going to be.
Well that’s cute.
And no it hasn’t. If it did they wouldn’t have been selling CDR copies of it when they were touring 15 years ago. It’s lost to the ages now.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #225
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
“Racist avatar image” lmao the virtue signaling idiots are at it again
Well look who’s back out of the gutter.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #226
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
He was insane to call it MCIS 2, that's like Paul McCartney announcing he was making "The White Album 2". But he can't help but be a self-aggrandizing pompous blowhard.
Reading thru the thread at my own pace so hopefully (surely!) someone has pointed out that it is not in fact insane to invoke one’s artistic peak in order to market some late period trash. It doesn’t have to have anything whatsoever to do with mcis. It’s a marketing ploy. Just like firing most of zwan and calling it “SP” was a marketing ploy. Like ”James is back and we’re having s reunion tour” was a marketing ploy.

Just look at the imagery of this new SHINY horseshit. This is about milking the name of the band as thoroughly as possible until the tit is withered and dry. Calling this utter fuckshit clownmusic a sequel to MCIS is one of the few tricks these assholes have left

Fuck them and fuck this whole cycle. Someone tell me which tracks suck least fux when the dust settles. Im off to listen to my treasured copy of quiet and other songs until the live video emerge. Maybe the tour won’t suck ass.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #227
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also my grandma hates this music. She said her dog wanted to kill herself after she heard it because it sucks total dick

Old 09-20-2022, 09:09 PM   #228
pinetree
Ownz

if you had to pick one, would you rather get a blowjob from your mom or your grandmom?

Old 09-20-2022, 09:24 PM   #229
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Or listen to this new album

Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 PM   #230
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
WHY WHY WHY are they not jamming songs like a normal fucking band does
Because they're all rich enough now to phone it in?

Bands like Tool, Metallica, and Foo Fighters all have their own clubhouse-style rehearsal spaces to work on music away from distractions.

Billy seems to think he's too big for that, even though a parking garage and Pumpkinland yielded his best albums.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #231
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Showed the beguiled video to my friend cuz I knew he’d think it was funny… he said it sounded like MODERN ozzy. I said vocally or instrumentally he said both.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:05 PM   #232
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
Showed the beguiled video to my friend cuz I knew he’d think it was funny… he said it sounded like MODERN ozzy. I said vocally or instrumentally he said both.
Love Ozzy, but his best stuff is all with Black Sabbath. His stuff with Randy Rhoads (RIP) was great though.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 PM   #233
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

maybe if he had D'arcy on his team he could have churned out some better solo output

Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 PM   #234
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

SP has been wonderful with "fuzzy" production and "muddy" production. This shiny stuff is just doesn't do the trick. This music is afraid to get raw and dirty and occasionally a song is good enough to still be decent but beguiled just ain't it. Every genuine hint of the band I love is so abbreviated in this new music that it's hard to appreciate genuinely as SP.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I'm super excited for this album and it's incredibly stupid premise and name. I think there will be a couple gems at least.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:54 PM   #235
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Even though I thought Cyr worked out pretty well, there's just a reality to how things are now. It really is sad how Billy's animosity has caused him to never take advice from anyone, and to just double down even further on choices that are not just bad but weird and mystifying in a really, really bad way. Today, I listened to the two hour Sound Opinions with him and James when Mellon Collie was released, and it's simply incredible how much more relatable and well adjusted he was compared to now. Everyone has either been driven away or simply sticks around for money and maybe to enjoy what's left of what they helped build. While its always great that the band explored other styles of music and had some great successes doing that, this is a guitar band first and foremost and always will be. If they really wanted to they could be making some of their best music now, pushing the guitar further and further and featuring Billy's voice less and less. It doesn't matter if they're older, the songs don't have to be like Geek USA or Ode to No One. Instead, this is what we get and Billy somehow manages to look his most ridiculous yet. All of this stems back to the fact that he doesn't have the charisma to be a Kurt or Eddie, so now we all have to deal with the unbelievable defensiveness and ridiculous behavior.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #236
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
It makes me wonder if original Pumpkins material was also this shitty and all the magic came from the producer. Obviously Billy and Jimmy could play really well, but maybe they were just taking directions and it's all been covered up by the lore.
Man I'm cynical but this is the hottest of hot takes of a scorched earth.

XYU is live in studio. I've listened to Pastichio Medley more than I've listened to anything past Machina.

It's more like he had this wellspring of incredible music and melodies and there was a reservoir but no ongoing flow to keep the output incredible. Most artists are like this. How many bands have primes longer than 5 years?

Part of it I think was a massive chip Billy had and has always had, "f you, you think I shouldn't be a lead singer because my voice sounds somebody is hitting a baby with a cat".

And then he made it. And the chip was gone. So he relaxed, and the muse moved on.

Like, the pre-Gish stuff is still good. Notable. Not world-shaking, but the songs were still there.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:20 AM   #237
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
they could be making some of their best music now, pushing the guitar further and further and featuring Billy's voice less and less.
no, give me goth cowboy music or face my wrath, william patrick corgan

Old 09-21-2022, 12:43 AM   #238
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
maybe if he had D'arcy on his team he could have churned out some better solo output
Now you’re talkin

Old 09-21-2022, 01:34 AM   #239
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

This song is trash and the video is lame.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:51 AM   #240
paranoid
Minion of Satan

If Darcy was in the band now nothing would be any different.

She had a good bullshit meter back in the day but that also didn’t stop him from releasing some bullshit back then either. His ability to be corny and whimsical seemed to entertain our young innocent minds back then but if we’re being honest that shit would hit us different if released today. For example- I’ve always love by starlight, but heard it the other day and was somewhat removed from my nostalgic fandom and it hit me how cheesy that song is. Same with lily, love, Annie dog, etc.

God damn Annie dog. Remember having to sit through that one live?