Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2021, 03:43 AM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Weezer - Tired of Sex (Tracking Rough)/Pinkerton

I've had the Pinkerton deluxe 2 CD thing for years, but don't know if I have ever heard this version. Damn shame because this thing blew my mind tonight when it came up on shuffle. So much so I decided it's time to give this thing it's own thread.

Great song - possibly even greater version of this song here than on the album (?!) - greatest Weezer album.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Weird, I was revisiting Pinkerton & related recently, upgrading my Songs From The Black Hole reconstruction for my blog. While I absolutely love the drum sound from the album version, as a whole, this early version is a bit tighter. It's p cool.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Songs From The Black Hole
Hadn't heard of this until I spied some folks in the comment section of the Rough one saying that the Black Hole version is better. (They're wrong - album one and that one up there trump it)

What's the lowdown on Songs from the Black Hole? Anything of note on there?

Old 03-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Hadn't heard of this until I spied some folks in the comment section of the Rough one saying that the Black Hole version is better. (They're wrong - album one and that one up there trump it)

What's the lowdown on Songs from the Black Hole? Anything of note on there?
Long story short, Songs From The Black Hole was originally supposed to be the follow-up to The Blue Album. It was a true rock opera like Tommy or Jesus Christ Super Star, in that the dialog would be sung and generally contained within the songs itself. The plot was basically a love triangle between three astronauts on a spaceship, but would be an allegory of River's uncertainty about suddenly being famous, as well as his own personal commitment/Mommy issues. There would have been different vocalists for the different charters.

"Tired of Sex", "Getchoo", "No Other One" and "Why Bother?" were all originally supposed to be in it, as well as b-sides "Devotion", "Waiting On You", "You Gave Your Love To Me Softly" and "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams." Additionally some of the pretty good unreleased songs from that era-- "Blast Off!", "You Won't Get With Me Tonight", and "Longtime Sunshine", and some short linking tracks that tie things together.

Rivers eventually abandoned the concept because it was silly and too difficult to execute, and instead came up with the concept of Pinkerton, salvaging those first four songs from SFTBH. The concept lives on in legend and in rough demo form of most of it.

Last edited by soniclovenoize : 03-14-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

This would've been a great candidate for the DIDJA KNOW? thread

Rest in pies, fuzzy.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

You could make a whole other album out of all the Pinkerton leftovers that would be almost as good as the original album itself. Or, a version of Pinkerton that exceeds the 30-minute mark.