Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #61
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

I like the kills and dum dum girls for doin it

Pro tip: NEVER PEARL JAM

Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #62
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky
I think this generation is self loathing sometimes with the amount of OMGZ HIPSTAR stuff. I have this friend that's like ANTI HIPSTAR to the max and he's always picking up on hipster bands like the national and black keys like 5-10 years after he could have been listening to them in the first fucking place. Like that's what pisses me off the most about deliberate musical ignorance, is that eventually some of these bands are going to hit the mainstream and then suddenly it's okay for you to like them, but you just missed out on enjoying them at small venues or being there when the new album drops...it's just dumber than shit.

i th.
I feel this all the time. Nail on the fucking head.

Also B recently bought American Spirits on a lark and she really liked them and almost threw away her almost new pack of smokes away. She said she won't be going back to any other but American Spirit. I guess they are really good?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

They are 100 percent tobaccy, so after smoking a pack or so and you go back to camel or marlboro you can taste all the additives.

I like to tell people they are good for you

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #64
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

D. wins the thread with "on a lark" tbh.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #65
D.
Consume my pants.

Wink

It's my new phrase for 2014.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #66
Mayfuck
Banned

i dunno about self loathing. i guess blame the internet or whatver, but it is definitely the most self aware generation which i guess can be misconstrued as self loathing

Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #67
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
It's my new phrase for 2014.
Awww, I like it.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #68
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck View Post
i dunno about self loathing. i guess blame the internet or whatver, but it is definitely the most self aware generation which i guess can be misconstrued as self loathing
mostly i say that because people hate the nebulous "hipster"

Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #69
Starla

Same thing Jackson Browne did in the chorus of Rosie.

You listen to Jackson Browne?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #70
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

my mother brought me to see Jackson Brown in the late 70s.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #71
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
Pro tip: NEVER PEARL JAM
or nin

one time i put on "whoomp there it is" maxi-single on repeat and she was all like -_o

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #72
slunken
Virgo

i didn't change it though

deal

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #73
MusicMan4

nin seems like something a lot of people would fuck to successfully

Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #74
slunken
Virgo

i realize they do but you'd have to be pretty clueless to do so

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #75
MusicMan4

what if a dude really wants to fuck a chick like an animal

what's a better soundtrack

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

if i can be crass for a sec it's more for fucking ragdoll sluts than it is for anything precious

Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #77
MusicMan4

any pale 90s goths wanna get together and bang to marilyn manson sweet dreams are made of this

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #78
slunken
Virgo

smells like children is the perfect 90s dirtbag fuck album imo - the whole theme about innocence and taking it

its full of slow and weird remixes and instrumentals and odd transitions nobody knows where they are - doing dirty things while mansons mom and grandma talk about blood pressure medication #memories

plus one if you jam the recalled version with the erotic/scary "abuse" clips

Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #79
Starla

It never happened for me. My high school sweetheart wanted to get it on to round dance songs.

And i do love jackson browne...

Old 04-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #80
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
My high school sweetheart wanted to get it on to round dance songs.

i can feel that though - kind of hot

(not banana related)

Old 04-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #81
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

jesus christ who cares just like what you like and stop analyzing bullshit that doesnt matter

Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #82
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
smells like children is the perfect 90s dirtbag fuck album imo - the whole theme about innocence and taking it

its full of slow and weird remixes and instrumentals and odd transitions nobody knows where they are - doing dirty things while mansons mom and grandma talk about blood pressure medication #memories

plus one if you jam the recalled version with the erotic/scary "abuse" clips
it's a really fucked up record dude, i think it's great.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #83
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Hipsterism means shit to me, I just hope this trend of ugly untrimmed beards goes away soon.

I thought nobody could be silly enough to call me a hipster, since I listen to Bach and fucking Weather Report, but wrong. Liking Glass Animals is enough to get "oh you finally became a hipster?"
God forbid you could enjoy old, mainstream music AND new bands.
The most annoying thing is people use the word hipster for everything, and it means nothing.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 AM   #84
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
The most annoying thing is people use the word hipster for everything, and it means nothing.
my feelings exactly.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #85
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
The smugness, and cooler than thou attitude.
insecurity

Quote:
The obscene adherence to counter-fashion, which in itself becomes the fashionable uniform.
Which is exactly like grunge, and originates in punk.

Grunge is basically "we're a bunch of middle class white kids from seattle lets dress like we're homeless"

from what i've seen that's exactly how you still dress yourself, in some kind of deliberate grungy anti-fashion.

Quote:
The affluent/middle-class kids that try to make a statement by drinking cheep beer.
there's a couple of things here that i'd like to address but ultimately i love how "making a statement by drinking cheap beer" is the assumption, however craft beer is also tres hipster

make up your fucking mind

far as i could tell the only reason we ever drink cheap beer is because we want to get shitassed and we don't have enough money. I know it's strange to think that someone raised middle class could be low income but you seem sheltered, so i guess it's to be expected.

In Austin, TX if you're getting Pabst you're making some dumb statement or are a tourista because it's an outsider beer that never had much of a hook in the state. that's about it. Lone Star & High Life we drank ourselves stupid on, we weren't making a statement. We were low level office flunkies, retail cronies and service industry warriors. We had piles of debt from our liberal and fine arts degrees that most of us still can't figure out how to pay for. It is definitely about income, ennui and alcoholism.

in fact i know a lot of san antonio bros that swill high life and lone star still and nobody'd call them hipsters. but god forbid you have on a flannel shirt and plastic glasses...

Quote:
The attitude that "I'm more culturally educated and sensitive than your average blue-collar working man, but I want to co-opt his habits as some sort of ironic fuck you to his values".
dunno where this comes from, i always saw hipsters as being college grad millennials living in the city. are you talking about trucker hats still? those were popular like 10 years ago. what habits are you talking about? being alcoholics? I don't think you can do that ironically.

i mean if you're talking about phony folk bands like mumford well you got a point, but hipsters fucking hate mumford

Quote:
TAnyway, what I'm trying to say, is that people who act like they're the cool kids rub me the wrong way
because you're insecure

Quote:
and I tend to lash out at the arrogance and stupidity... mainly (and I'm sorry to say) with my own arrogance and stupidity for even engaging them in the first place.
from what i've seen it's mostly that you don't like it when people who are knowledegable go "seriously what the fuck are you talking about?"

Quote:
Btw... what is the Buffalo Exchange and who are Vampire Weekend?
emerge from your mancave, hypernerd.

Quote:
For the last time, I don't hate Jazz... I hate the fart-sniffing Jazz audiences.
I think you've made it abundantly clear that you worry way too much about the stereotypical audience. i think it's probably a defense mechanism borne out of being insecure. it's much easier to label and divide rather than experience new things, isn't it?

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-26-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #86
Trotskilicious
Banned

like seriously how old are you that you're worried about who thinks they are cooler

Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
basically it's just a condescending label to apply to people who are interested in art, or music, local food and drink, or any sort of alternative living or anything that isn't exactly "mainstream" whatever that is these days. Predominantly they are college educated (usually fine or liberal arts). metropolitan, and millennial. Obviously, based on the razor sharp satire of Portlandia the whole hipster thing started in gen x and ultimately probably include many of the deified 90s bands. SP, Nirvana, Weezer, etc.

the reason why it means nothing is like i pointed out earlier, craft beer and cheap beer for example are both hipster things. how can it be both? because it's ultimately a label created by people who feel insecure around those they think are "hip" or "cool"

instead of going "hey maybe i'll try this craft beer/thrift store/bicycle/indie band" they just reject it out of hand because they're comfortable with their own particular cultural brand which is usually a fashion/music trend that's at least 15 years out of vogue

i wouldn't give a shit about that really if they weren't so predictably defensive about "hipsters" being mean to them to the point of being ignorant as some kind of demonstration

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-26-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
It's irritating, yes. I'm never really sure what it's actually about. I feel like I'm too old to care which band is the flavor of the month, or follow a weird fashion trend to fit in at some obscure club. It seems like it's not about the band or fashion or whatever gets the hip label, but about the people who rant that x y and z is so out and uncool.
Just yesterday I got an earful of some LA chick (arroganty) laughing at me because I didn't want free tickets for The National.
In situations like that I feel like saying "congrats, you get an award for being totally informed about something I don't care for. And yea, I'm so uncool for enjoying a Coldplay or Eels album or refusing to wear pigtails. Oh no! But try and talk to these people about anything that's going on in the world outside their little "I'm cooler than you here is my selfie number 320" and back comes nothing. Indifference. Syria? Who cares, lets trash the restaurant that was cool until last week.ort.
national sucks

who cares

EDIT: SERIOUSLY WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT SOME FAKE ASS PIECE OF LA TRASH

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-26-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #89
Trotskilicious
Banned

i got to see wild flag in the front row before they put out an album at an exclusive SXSW event i snuck into should i be embarrassed by that? should i worry that makes you think i think i'm cooler than you? should i NOT DO IT because that would make me think that i'm cool and then i'd be with other cool people being cool or WHATEVER

should i worry that just by bringing it up, i'm going to make you feel insecure or that i'm trying to be "cooler" than you? I dunno i play a lot of SWTOR and PnP RPGs every monday. i'm not cool.

i just got insider tickets to beck ACL taping, am i supposed to worry that i might offend the sensibilities of the cool-sensitive? I think it is pretty neat that I got access to that, as well as NICK CAVE AND THE FUCKING BAD SEEDS. why should i be embarrassed of that? how is it a bad thing?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #90
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Trots you told me that you thought the National sounded like Leonard Cohen. I thought you liked them.