Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
StupidFan
Pledge
 
Location: NJ
Posts: 62
Default Pavement - Range Life

Pavement - Range Life lyrics...

"Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
Nature kids, i/they dont have no function
I dont understand what they mean
And I could really give a fuck."

Whats the story behind this? When did they tour together? What was the deal...

 
StupidFan is offline
Old 08-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
aomb1979
Ownz
 
aomb1979's Avatar
 
Location: The YFZ Ranch
Posts: 514
Default

Lollapalooza 94.

 
aomb1979 is offline
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Effloresce
Banned
 
Posts: 5,018
Default

Welcome to the 90's

I can't believe people bring this shit up like it still actually matters. Malkmus laughed it off in an interview a couple years ago and also said he enjoyed Zwan's first single.

I don't think either of them really care anymore.

 
Effloresce is offline
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster
 
aztec litany service's Avatar
 
Location: cedar park, tx
Posts: 1,535
Default

i would like to know what those lyrics are supposed to mean
i like pavement

 
aztec litany service is offline
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan
 
Nate the Grate's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,212
Default

on their dvd, he says in an interview from the time that, "it's not their music, it's personal". that's all I've got.

oh, and...OLD. REALLY FREAKIN OLD.

 
Nate the Grate is offline
Old 08-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
tcm
Braindead
 
tcm's Avatar
 
Location: Le look de Corgan
Posts: 17,921
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
Malkmus laughed it off in an interview a couple years ago and also said he enjoyed Zwan's first single.
what a sarcastic bastard.

 
tcm is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Lorenzo
Demi-God
 
Lorenzo's Avatar
 
Posts: 412
Default

Their is an audio floating around with Pavement covering the first couple bars of 1979, and then he starts laughing. Rumor was Billy was in the audience.

 
Lorenzo is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
slanky
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Their is an audio floating around with Pavement covering the first couple bars of 1979, and then he starts laughing. Rumor was Billy was in the audience.

burrrrrn.


i can see billy now, scowling from the mosh pit.


at a pavement concert.

 
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 AM   #9
Izzle
Banned
 
Izzle's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,212
Default

malkmus sounds like a jealous little asshole.

 
Izzle is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
aomb1979
Ownz
 
aomb1979's Avatar
 
Location: The YFZ Ranch
Posts: 514
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle
malkmus sounds like a jealous little asshole.
Yes, yes he does.

 
aomb1979 is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
SPkid
Pledge
 
Location: ithaca ny
Posts: 134
Default

some things about malkmus to consider despite the fact that at times he has sounded like a 'jelous little asshole':

he has stayed true to his roots

he hasn't put out an 80's sounding album

hes never gone on tour wearing a black leather dress

 
SPkid is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
myosis
Minion of Satan
 
myosis's Avatar
 
Location: the institute
Posts: 6,421
Default

i think he only put out a 70's sounding album

 
myosis is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Morlock
Ownz
 
Location: Germany
Posts: 507
Default

Malkmus has also covered "Today" in Cologne, right after "Interstate Love Song" (Remeber that the lines after the ones quoted here are about Stone Temple Pilots).

He always made fun of musicians who act like huge stars. I can't imagine that he would take any of this seriously.

 
Morlock is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Cherub Angel's Avatar
 
Location: nowhere, IL
Posts: 2,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis
i think he only put out a 70's sounding album

ha!

Personally I think calling out a person in a song [ala rap disses] is pretty lame.

 
Cherub Angel is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Izzle
Banned
 
Izzle's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPkid
some things about malkmus to consider despite the fact that at times he has sounded like a 'jelous little asshole':

he has stayed true to his roots

he hasn't put out an 80's sounding album

hes never gone on tour wearing a black leather dress
if by "stayed true to his roots" you mean he's never forgotten about the people in his past or his founding musical principles, how could you imply that billy hasn't done the same thing? is it a negative thing to have a constantly evolving approach to music, and a changing attitude to the lives of successful musicians? and where do you draw the line between "staying true" to one's roots and simply not branching out and meeting new people. i think billy has always credited the people in his past and those around him. but i don't think he can be expected to stay in touch and be close with everyone he's ever met, if that's what the notion of "staying true to one's roots" is all about. i think billy cares as much about those faces from long ago as he does now, he doesn't take his fortune for granted and from what i've seen he's pretty grateful to everyone he's met and the experiences he's had, but he can't be expected to cater to the needs and wants of all the hangers on, because then there would be nothing left of him. there's a cut-off point for people in his position, whatever they do for a living. i haven't heard pavement but i think you're probably overestimating malkmus as some enlightened virtuous individual. he's just taking pot shots at billy because he's incontinent and probably jealous.

and i loved that 80's sounding album.

and the black leather dress.

 
Izzle is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
myosis
Minion of Satan
 
myosis's Avatar
 
Location: the institute
Posts: 6,421
Default

what morlock said

 
myosis is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
Effloresce
Banned
 
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPkid
some things about malkmus to consider despite the fact that at times he has sounded like a 'jelous little asshole':

he has stayed true to his roots

he hasn't put out an 80's sounding album

hes never gone on tour wearing a black leather dress
he's never actually made good music

Save Gold Soundz and a few other songs, Pavement's discog sucks

 
Effloresce is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
myosis
Minion of Satan
 
myosis's Avatar
 
Location: the institute
Posts: 6,421
Default

effloresce, you said this was 90's, are you trying to fuel the fire?

 
myosis is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
tcm
Braindead
 
tcm's Avatar
 
Location: Le look de Corgan
Posts: 17,921
Arrow

nature is pretty cool.

 
tcm is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
zbeast78
Ownz
 
zbeast78's Avatar
 
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
he's never actually made good music

Save Gold Soundz and a few other songs, Pavement's discog sucks
you're crazy man. Pavement is definitely one of the very best bands to come out of the 90's. and how can you say a bands discog sucks when it *******s "S&E, Crooked Rain & Wowee Zowee" (at least TWO of those would make any top 10 rock albums of the decade list).

I give credit to Malkmus for staying fresh after all these years. I think all three of his solo albums are quality (especially Pig Lib)

 
zbeast78 is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #21
SPkid
Pledge
 
Location: ithaca ny
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeast78
you're crazy man. Pavement is definitely one of the very best bands to come out of the 90's. and how can you say a bands discog sucks when it *******s "S&E, Crooked Rain & Wowee Zowee" (at least TWO of those would make any top 10 rock albums of the decade list).

I give credit to Malkmus for staying fresh after all these years. I think all three of his solo albums are quality (especially Pig Lib)

amen!

 
SPkid is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #22
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Cherub Angel's Avatar
 
Location: nowhere, IL
Posts: 2,466
Default

I've always thought they were kind of boring....slacker is a good word I think. They never really got my blood going at the end of the day.

 
Cherub Angel is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
zbeast78
Ownz
 
zbeast78's Avatar
 
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub Angel
I've always thought they were kind of boring....slacker is a good word I think. They never really got my blood going at the end of the day.
of course you're entitled to your opinion. pavement is definitely not for everyone.

but i really think the "slacker" thing has been blown way out of proportion. listening to how diverse crcr is and how much they grew with each album, i really don't think the whole slacker label was warranted. i just think people thought it sounded clever, so it stuck.

 
zbeast78 is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
zbeast78
Ownz
 
zbeast78's Avatar
 
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle
malkmus sounds like a jealous little asshole.
nah. he just wrote that lyric because he did not agree with the lyrics of Cherub Rock. He never had any "beef" with Corgan personally until Billy gave the organizers of Lolla '94 an ultimatum that if Pavement plays, then the Pumpkins won't. since the pumpkins were big at the time, they sided with Billy. I know malkmus was really burned about it, but took comfort in the fact that Pavement did end up playing in '95, and it was a WAY better lineup that year anyway.

 
zbeast78 is offline
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #25
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Cherub Angel's Avatar
 
Location: nowhere, IL
Posts: 2,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeast78
nah. he just wrote that lyric because he did not agree with the lyrics of Cherub Rock. He never had any "beef" with Corgan personally until Billy gave the organizers of Lolla '94 an ultimatum that if Pavement plays, then the Pumpkins won't. since the pumpkins were big at the time, they sided with Billy. I know malkmus was really burned about it, but took comfort in the fact that Pavement did end up playing in '95, and it was a WAY better lineup that year anyway.
actually I heard somewhere that Malkmus admitted making up that rumor.

as for the slacker thing.....I think that the music just sounds very lacking, like they are slacking off hence the slacker tag. Yet as people? no. You can't be a slacker and tour successfully tour year after year.

Ah Cherub Rock, one of the reasons it's among my favorite pumpkins songs besides the whole guitar onslaught is the fact that it makes fun of the indie scene.

 
Cherub Angel is offline
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 AM   #26
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster
 
mccririck's Avatar
 
Location: Spa
Posts: 3,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPkid
some things about malkmus to consider despite the fact that at times he has sounded like a 'jelous little asshole':

he has stayed true to his roots

he hasn't put out an 80's sounding album

hes never gone on tour wearing a black leather dress
He's ripped off The Fall.

He's made an 80s Fall album...

 
mccririck is offline
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #27
Effloresce
Banned
 
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis
effloresce, you said this was 90's, are you trying to fuel the fire?
The fire already started when the thread was made, silly

Pavement sucks, Malkmus as a solo artist sucks. Pig Lib does have a couple catchy songs, but overall, the musical life of Stephen Malkmus is bland to me.

I also love how any indie band that plays one lofi sounding chord in an album is instantly grouped in with "Pavement inspired" bands

It's lo-fi people, this shit is not as distinct as say, Pink Floyd's sound was back in the day. It's fucking lo-fi.

 
Effloresce is offline
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
James_Tomson
Oblivious Virgin
 
James_Tomson's Avatar
 
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Posts: 28
Default

I do not like Pavement, I think they have too much music that is not of a high enough quality to realese on albums.

 
James_Tomson is offline
Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #29
zbeast78
Ownz
 
zbeast78's Avatar
 
Posts: 806
Default

i guess i'm in the wrong place to defend Pavement. But they definitely wrote some of the catchiest tunes of the 90's. Yes, they weren't trying to "wow" anyone with walls of sound or pretentious album themes. they just focused on writing good quirky tunes with witty lyrics. But why am I wasting my breath anyway?? On a message board where bands like Tool are praised, Pavement will not be understood.

 
zbeast78 is offline
Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
Izzle
Banned
 
Izzle's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,212
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Tomson
I do not like Pavement, I think they have too much music that is not of a high enough quality to realese on albums.
HaHaHa

 
Izzle is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022