Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2022, 06:56 PM   #5851
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Cause what I will do is correct your spelling to make it seem you're a simpleton or something

Old 03-31-2022, 07:08 PM   #5852
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Is this your review on iMDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeri, probably
This film start with a man "Chris" doing gym, and he talking with his ex-wife scene! As turnout, this film is about a rich man "Chris" need to survive from the killing of a woman "Sky", and her stepdad "Sebastian", who aiming to take over his wealth by force! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the searching scene, overuse of the staring scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the copulate scene, overuse of the kissing scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the surveillance video footage scene, overuse of the changing camera angle scene, overuse of the video call scene, overuse of the news broadcasting on the TV scene, overuse of the peeking scene, overuse of the long angle scenery scene, and overuse of the driving scene! Make the film unwatchable! At the end, Chris' daughter "Willow" killed Sky to save him! That's it! Another disappointed film!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #5853
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

What on... what on earth is this person doing

Old 03-31-2022, 07:12 PM   #5854
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Yes! A "very" disappointed film indeed!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #5855
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
holy shit, he puts his heart and soul into it!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:14 PM   #5856
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Another worst film!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 PM   #5857
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i will make it my life's work to watch every film he criticized to see to what degree I think he's right and then to hopefully conclude it was indeed another worst film!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:31 PM   #5858
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Are these the IMDB equivalent of fake, paid Amazon reviews? This is some gig economy thing where he gets paid 1 cent per hour to watch a movie and then write either a good or bad review (because he does like some), depending on which movie studio's PR firm is paying, and he has to prove he watched the whole thing by listing out things that happened from beginning to end? Like maybe he watches the first couple minutes ("This movie start out with 'Chris' talking on phone!") and then he skips forward ten minutes at a time and just writes down what seems to be happening? ("Overused explosion scene, overused person talking scene, overused list of names and occupations scrolling from the bottom to the top of the screen scene...")

Or is he just... appreciating cinema on a level I can never achieve?

Old 04-22-2022, 02:19 AM   #5859
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Finally saw hereditary

Ooooooh hooooobeeeeedooooo was it ever horrific

Excellent though. probabaly my fave horror ive seen now, up there wit the shining

Weird to even say “fave” about a thing that made me feel soooo sooooo bad as i watched it

Old 04-22-2022, 04:01 AM   #5860
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

dude Hereditary is not even his best film. check out Midsommar, it will mess you up.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #5861
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I still think Hered is better than Midsomner, but M is worth a watch

Old 04-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #5862
Rocket Launcher
Apocalyptic Poster

A Beautiful Mind

Old 04-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #5863
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

I also prefer Hereditary to Midsommar, but yeah, Mid is some good shit as well. For me it doesn't get any better/more compelling than the stuff at the beginning (what Florence Pugh's character is upset about, let's say), but it's still really solid.

Finally saw Drive My Car. A fuckin' plus. I did spend most of the film thinking the Japanese are absolutely insane for driving on the left and having the wheel on the left, but I looked it up and their wheels are on the right. It's just this guy's car.

Also, Kiss Me Deadly from 1955: Film noir about a lunkhead private detective trying to solve a murder and getting deeper and deeper into a conspiracy, not because he wants justice for the victim but because he smells money. Absolute motherfucker of an ending, just unrivaled "the world is fucked" energy. A fuckin' plus.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #5864
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

The Batman

It's entertaining. But also 3 hours long. And do we really need another billionaire vigilante? And why do we get yet another batman that lectures the catwoman about stealing from the rich?

I'm sick of how every take on Batman since the 80s puts the character in a hellscape of rotting urban architecture that even includes B Roll from Detroit and Cleveland. It reminds me of watching Jessica Jones and Luke Cage on Netflix and thinking, "what part of the Meat Packing district and Harlem is this supposed to be, cause those neighborhoods are full of gentrifiers, not militarized crime syndicates."

Old 04-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #5865
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Killing Eve

Spoilers.....

They humanize Villanelle at the end, allow her and Eve to get together, then she is killed in Eve's arms.

This is two old tropes rolled into one. First that the queer character is a psychopath or a pervert. Then it's the more modern trope of introducing a likable queer character, and killing her for shock value. They even introduced a seemingly straight "replacement killer" in the final season. But despite killing people for fun and money she was allowed to walk away with out consequence. The lesbian had to die, though.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #5866
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i mean batman is a rich boy who goes after mentally ill people and street criminals. i realize some of these are trying to destroy the earth or whatever but is he really that great

Old 04-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #5867
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

I'll watch this Batman eventually now that it's hit HBO, but from the trailers, I don't see how this is any different from the Nolan version, and that just seems so boring and needless. I like Pattinson, and I like that sick as fuck Batmobile they gave him, but for Christ's sake can we get something other than the "gritty, grounded" take? Can we get Grant Morrison on this shit, give us a Batman with a giant penny in the Batcave, who's met Bat-Mite, who's more on the Keaton level of sane, who might actually be having a little fun jumping around on rooftops and scaring pickpockets and shit? Can we get some fucking joy in there somewhere? I'm figuring WB is still so traumatized by the Schumacher films that they're just shooting down any hint of fun or any Robin, but for fuck's sake.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #5868
ovary
Ownz

robert pattinson has masterbated in four of his last five films

Old 04-23-2022, 01:49 AM   #5869
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
I'll watch this Batman eventually now that it's hit HBO, but from the trailers, I don't see how this is any different from the Nolan version, and that just seems so boring and needless. I like Pattinson, and I like that sick as fuck Batmobile they gave him, but for Christ's sake can we get something other than the "gritty, grounded" take? Can we get Grant Morrison on this shit, give us a Batman with a giant penny in the Batcave, who's met Bat-Mite, who's more on the Keaton level of sane, who might actually be having a little fun jumping around on rooftops and scaring pickpockets and shit? Can we get some fucking joy in there somewhere? I'm figuring WB is still so traumatized by the Schumacher films that they're just shooting down any hint of fun or any Robin, but for fuck's sake.
it's quite a bit different from Nolan's films. It's a long slow boil detective mystery. The Riddler is a serial killer who is torturing and murdering billionaires and politicians. It's hard to not wish he doesn't get caught. It's visually very very dark. Watching it on my TV was at times a bit annoying, because many scenes were so dark. Nolans' films are bright and colorful in comparison.

This Batman is fully formed... no ridiculous origin story that involves appropriating Asian culture, or fighting a secret global cabal (League of Shadows). He's been around a while. He's already put some of his familiar enemies in Arkham. No absurd CGI finale. This batman doesn't have an endless supply of science fiction weapons. He fights with his hands and some basic tools (grappling hook, darts, blades) The batmobile is just a big ugly muscle car. His suit looks homemade... it's rough and looks used. His cowl looks more like hand sewn hardened leather helmet.

Pattinson's batman is so dour and literally depressed that it's hard to like him or care about him all that much. At one point he says something like "I don't care if I die" or "If I die that's alright". It's not because he's so fully committed to justice. It's because he has nothing else to live for. He's completely disinterested in his fortune to the point that his parent's business is bankrupt. He's self destructive, but not like Bale's batman who was intensely driven. Pattinson's batman is broken. He's severely damaged. He's not a slick playboy by day and bat at night. He's always the batman, and when he's not in his suite he looks like a suicidal emo goth who hasn't smiled his entire life.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:16 AM   #5870
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Golly

I mean like I said, I'll see it, but that sounds like such an adolescent angry nerd take on the character

I realize this is the same studio who thought the most interesting thing you could do with Superman was have the world fear him and have Pa Kent tell him not to help people, but I thought they were gonna have their little Snyderverse plus whatever this is, so maybe it'd be even slightly different

Does it seem like the idea is to have Bruce, like... learn to live again, or something, with Catwoman? Or is his character arc across three hours basically "Every waking moment I imagine I'm lying in the ground with my parents" --> "I finally punched Paul Dano so now I can get back to imagining I'm lying in the ground with my parents"?

Old 04-23-2022, 03:21 AM   #5871
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Well, I can say what the character arc is, but if you're going to watch it anyway, may as well just watch it.

So, spoilers

He lightens up at the end of the movie. The moral of the story is that being VengeanceMan isn't constructive, and he should be HopeMan instead. And also do more philanthropic Bruce Wayne stuff to help address the inequality that fuels crime in the first place.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:53 AM   #5872
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
it's quite a bit different from Nolan's films. It's a long slow boil detective mystery. The Riddler is a serial killer who is torturing and murdering billionaires and politicians. It's hard to not wish he doesn't get caught. It's visually very very dark. Watching it on my TV was at times a bit annoying, because many scenes were so dark. Nolans' films are bright and colorful in comparison.

This Batman is fully formed... no ridiculous origin story that involves appropriating Asian culture, or fighting a secret global cabal (League of Shadows). He's been around a while. He's already put some of his familiar enemies in Arkham. No absurd CGI finale. This batman doesn't have an endless supply of science fiction weapons. He fights with his hands and some basic tools (grappling hook, darts, blades) The batmobile is just a big ugly muscle car. His suit looks homemade... it's rough and looks used. His cowl looks more like hand sewn hardened leather helmet.

Pattinson's batman is so dour and literally depressed that it's hard to like him or care about him all that much. At one point he says something like "I don't care if I die" or "If I die that's alright". It's not because he's so fully committed to justice. It's because he has nothing else to live for. He's completely disinterested in his fortune to the point that his parent's business is bankrupt. He's self destructive, but not like Bale's batman who was intensely driven. Pattinson's batman is broken. He's severely damaged. He's not a slick playboy by day and bat at night. He's always the batman, and when he's not in his suite he looks like a suicidal emo goth who hasn't smiled his entire life.
I do feel like something went wrong with the third act. First two acts are a detective movie with Batman trailing a serial killer. Which is pretty surprising that it took them this long to finally do, because plenty of Batman stories are about him solving mysteries and trailing serial killers, and "Se7en but Batman" is the exact kind of film many fans have been asking for for a while now, I think.

But then the third act has to have the standard "city-wide threat" that I guess they all have to have, even though it doesn't even fit the villain's established motives this time. And even though it has a city-destroying threat, the third act just drags and feels a lot longer than when it was a detective movie. The movie hits this point where it feels like it was supposed to end, and then it just… keeps going. I liked it overall, but really think they fumbled the last part.

I wouldn't say this Batman is fully formed, though. It's not an origin film, but he's clearly still not yet the Batman he will grow into. Like, when he leaps from that building and glides away, it's implied that it's the first time he's ever done this, and that he's still a little scared of heights (I have no idea how a guy who names himself for a flying animal spends his first two years not doing any flying; I honestly found that a little hard to buy, and thought it would have made more sense in an origin movie). He also never throws a single batarang, and some scene with a fire extinguisher seems like it was meant to show where he gets the idea for smoke bombs. He's also a bit sloppier than "the world's greatest detective," and Penguin has to correct his Spanish to help him solve a riddle.

I understand what they were trying to do with having this Batman not really have a developed Bruce Wayne persona. They wanted to have him coming to the realization that he has to be Batman and Bruce Wayne be part of his arc. They wanted to try something different by having him a weirdo loner even with the mask off, rather than a playboy.

But just because I understand what they were going for, doesn't mean that it wasn't boring watching Bruce Wayne played that way. When there's no dual persona, it just seems to be missing one of the central aspects that make Batman fun.

It's not like they would even necessarily have to repeat what's been done before to differentiate Wayne and Batman. Keaton and Bale both made their Waynes different from their Batmans, and they did it in totally different ways. Keaton's Bruce Wayne is this kinda awkward misfit who seems bored by socialite life. He only feels like himself in the suit, prowling the rooftops, as some creature of the night. He looks like he's trying to blend in, but doesn't quite know how to interact with others, when he's Bruce. He comes across as an allegory for some BDSM fetishist who just doesn't get any thrill with normal vanilla stuff. He needs to put on his rubber suit.

Bale's Wayne, when he's in public, comes across as somebody who's practiced putting on this sociable, human face, but his affect is shallow and his eyes show that he's detached from what's going on around him. He seems like somebody who's learned to control his emotions well, to make people think they are having a real conversation with him when they aren't. The way his face just instantly changes depending on whether somebody is looking directly at him or not. But then the more personal side of his character, when he's just hanging out with Alfred or something, is more human and relaxed. Even though he's obsessive, he can still make jokes and has some warmth to him.

Pattinson's Wayne just looks moody and looks confused that anybody would ever want to talk to him in the one or two scenes where anybody tries to talk to him. He's not even cordial with Alfred. At least not until Alfred almost dies, prompting Bruce to have his "I'm sorry I said you're not even my real dad" moment. He plays the Batman side well, but the Bruce side is a non-character.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #5873
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I do feel like something went wrong with the third act. First two acts are a detective movie with Batman trailing a serial killer. Which is pretty surprising that it took them this long to finally do, because plenty of Batman stories are about him solving mysteries and trailing serial killers, and "Se7en but Batman" is the exact kind of film many fans have been asking for for a while now, I think.

But then the third act has to have the standard "city-wide threat" that I guess they all have to have, even though it doesn't even fit the villain's established motives this time. And even though it has a city-destroying threat, the third act just drags and feels a lot longer than when it was a detective movie. The movie hits this point where it feels like it was supposed to end, and then it just… keeps going. I liked it overall, but really think they fumbled the last part.
I agree with all of this. Why do we need a city wide threat? Why can't the conclusion of the case be the finale? It's a Hollywood thing. Need to spend an oversized chunk of the budget on extra CGI and big set pieces cause that's what the masses show up for.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #5874
ovary
Ownz

did you guys hear what i said about robert pattinson masterbating in four of his last five films

Old 04-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #5875
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

are you disappointed he didn't do it in all five?

Old 04-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #5876
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I watched Batman mostly for shits and giggles because by now I fucking hate comic book movies.

I kiiiiinda liked the overall take on the subject matter, but I was not LEAST BIT surprised when they ever so predictably whimped the fuck out of anything that would really shake you at any meaningful crossroads. All they did was ramp up the gritty gore factor like half a notch and this movie swags like it's sooooo edgy. Hollywood is bullshit.

What I did like was how shitty the film looks, like it was shot on 2006 digital cameras just for effect. The bad CGI work was all over this film and in the weirdest spots it seemed to me? Like not even action scenes, just people moving or talking look a little like GTA cutscenes. I dunno if I'm crazy.

I did enjoy roasting the movie in my mind the whole way through for being such a grossly obvious (and crude) frankensteining of images, moments and tropes from other works. There is not ONE original note in this movie, it's ALL thoroughly imitative from start to finish in every possible way. Yes I know it's a superhero film, but a shred of originality would be nice - I guess that's a lot to ask when we're talking about what, remake number 19th here or whatever?

70'sesque noir PI detective story vibes, scenes nodding at video games to make video game nerds squeal (which I thought was really lame tbh), shamelessly ripping off the Saw franchise and not even being sorry about it with this shitty ass Paul Dano Riddler who is actually a lame version of Rapist Spacey's character from Seven. Actually the whole film feels like it rips off David Fincher hard and in a really bad way. But indeed, the only thing that would have helped make the movie any more predictable is a voiceover by Morgan Freeman.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #5877
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

yeah, there's definitely nothing original in The Batman.

One of the problems is this super vigilante batman is kinda Boomer./GenX It's rooted in late 20th century racist white flight fear of cities. The real criminals to be feared today are high tech corporations and oligarchs. And Batman doesn't seem to have any problem with them.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:15 AM   #5878
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Golly

I mean like I said, I'll see it, but that sounds like such an adolescent angry nerd take on the character
Well, the one song in the movie given the biggest weight in shaping the tone and mood for the character IS "something in the way".

Old 04-25-2022, 04:27 AM   #5879
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
yeah, there's definitely nothing original in The Batman.

One of the problems is this super vigilante batman is kinda Boomer./GenX It's rooted in late 20th century racist white flight fear of cities. The real criminals to be feared today are high tech corporations and oligarchs. And Batman doesn't seem to have any problem with them.
You are right, but this is really more of a broad argument against the relentless recycling of identical 40's superhero stories again and again for money grabbing purposes, without ever being bold enough to take any real liberties with it.

Joker at least was different - that one was genuinely dark and visceral. Juaquin Phoenix is amazing. But pretty much every other superhero film I can think of right now is nearly identical to the next. This Batman I guess kinda works fine as a shitty pulpy hardboiled digitally shot cookie cutter 70s PI superhero movie, but that it's leading the hollywood charts, pretending to be auteuresque, and advertising itself as Edgy Film Of the Year just pisses me off.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #5880
TuralyonW3
Immortal

The Northman was amazing.