Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #31
phang
Ownz

Song goes nowhere, lyrics are unintelligible, and it's filler. It's boring.

This wouldn't even have made it onto Gravity Demos, mid-20s aged Corgan would have binned this idea before he even showed it to the band.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:39 PM   #32
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
The original line-up.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:29 PM   #33
lionheart0
Demi-God

Next week is Harmageddon and I have really been looking forward to that one. Act 3 has been great.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:47 PM   #34
Ram27
dumb

i appreciate we actually get clean plain acoustic in this

the vocal style is just actively off putting. just guttural crooning constantly, with simpering cole vocals backing. the lyrics feel like they might be relatable for 2 seconds but then shift into 'the tears they must crush' or some horseshit

bad 1/10 would never listen again

Old 03-21-2023, 08:53 PM   #35
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post

This wouldn't even have made it onto Gravity Demos, mid-20s aged Corgan would have binned this idea before he even showed it to the band.
what is the idea?

like i listened and beyond 'acoustic strums' i do not remember how this goes or feels in any way. shitty croaky vocals and sparse generic acoustic that means nothing and feels like fuck all

there's no tune or groove or hook. it's just noise

Old 03-21-2023, 09:23 PM   #36
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
Acoustic song with annoying synth pulling focus. No drums, sounds like Jimmy is finally making use of that "clap stack" he had setup on his kit in the studio.

Sounds like a filler track, does nothing for me.
ATUM is an album of ALL filler tracks

absolutely groundbreaking

Old 03-21-2023, 09:27 PM   #37
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

just listened to it.. actually I like the song.. but it goes ABSOLFUCKINGLUTLY NOWHERE

what the fuck just 2 minutes of stumming then suddenly ends with nothing memorable.. it ends right where you're expecting something cool to happen.. but nothing cool happens on this album lol

what a piece of fucking shit "rock opera" this is

totally embarrassing.. they should not be using the Smashing Pumpkins moniker on these last few albums.. it should be rebranded as something else.. but I guess it's the branding that sells these things and pays for the stupid podcast that no one gives two shits about.. only a handful of fans hoping for another great SP song only to suffer mild disappointment each week

Old 03-21-2023, 09:39 PM   #38
paranoid
Minion of Satan

the vibe i get with this song is that it's a calm before the storm happening, as in after this the conclusion of the story starts to unfold. music for a scene change.

honestly releasing these 1 at a time was just a bad, bad idea. if it's a concept record where every song plays a small part of the story, why wouldn't they release it all at once? a song like this does not make sense in this context.

i don't know what you guys are hearing but i hear a chorus here. i dig it. synth is nice, kind of gives me air moon safari vibes.

dunno if any of you listened to that album but if not it's good. a classic, one would say.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:41 PM   #39
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

it makes me think of Sweet Sweet a bit, by far my least favorite song on SD.. probably most people's lol.. but less magical.. and more meaningless.. and I doubt what comes after this song will be any good but who knows.. probably not

Old 03-21-2023, 11:27 PM   #40
Ram27
dumb

it could not remind me less of sweet sweet

this is sweet sweet during the apocalypse, after being looted by raiders dozens of times, its stained glass smashed without a care

Old 03-22-2023, 02:15 AM   #41
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Boring and unintelligible, I almost didn't bother commenting this time. I will say I liked Katie's vocals here for the FIRST time.

Wtf is this guest?

Old 03-22-2023, 02:16 AM   #42
ilikeplanets
Braindead

One of the *mysterions* of the world!

Old 03-22-2023, 03:03 AM   #43
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
it could not remind me less of sweet sweet

this is sweet sweet during the apocalypse, after being looted by raiders dozens of times, its stained glass smashed without a care
hahahahahahaha

Old 03-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #44
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
he's said that he is trying to work on the new one using the same processes as he did during SD.
Billy is great at making the most vague statements that really mean nothing and then attaching the name of a much better album in order to sucker people into paying attention to his new garbage.

The same way he needed to pull Mellon Collie into this mess of a "concept" album called Atum, because touting Atum as just the sequel to Machina would have never made headlines.

Billy has done this same old and tired "quick, connect my new dumpster fire to a classic album" move for a while now.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #45
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

it's called bait and switch

it should be a class action lawsuit against Billy and SP brand by this point

Old 03-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #46
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

if you pay for a washing machine.. and you go in and they give you a toaster

same thing with this bullshit

we were promised a direct sequel to MCIS and instead get this pile of garbage

Old 03-22-2023, 08:49 AM   #47
Machinist
Ownz

Listened to it yesterday. My review: can't remember anything about it.

10/10 because it's not Hooray.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #48
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Billy is great at making the most vague statements that really mean nothing and then attaching the name of a much better album in order to sucker people into paying attention to his new garbage.

The same way he needed to pull Mellon Collie into this mess of a "concept" album called Atum, because touting Atum as just the sequel to Machina would have never made headlines.

Billy has done this same old and tired "quick, connect my new dumpster fire to a classic album" move for a while now.
it makes sense to me. there are definitely different processes you can employ when working on an album like that, it could entail stuff like:

A) Collect acoustic demos with lyrics and chords, work them out with band, record drums, then bass and spend a lot of time trying out different guitars and tones.

B) start ideas by jamming with jimmy, take that idea and flesh it out solo, bring back to band and work out the instrumental fully, write lyrics after, record scratch guitar and drums together and build from there

C) Start with a pool of riff ideas and see which ones merge together when jamming, record all the jams and search for moments in them...

all that kind of stuff is what i would see as 'processes' for making an album, and it could be stuff a little bit more abstract in terms of mental approach and that kind of thing either. but i think it does make sense what he is saying

Old 03-22-2023, 11:41 AM   #49
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
it's called bait and switch

it should be a class action lawsuit against Billy and SP brand by this point
Nah, I've heard this "we really feel that our new album is one of our best ever" by so many goddamn bands when the opposite is true that the bait-and-switch is either an industry standard, or just musicians believing their own BS.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:27 PM   #50
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I know the "word salad" thing has been the big term around these parts along with "utter clown shit fuck music", but my God, it really does sound like he's singing in Pig Latin in this song.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #51
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
the vibe i get with this song is that it's a calm before the storm happening, as in after this the conclusion of the story starts to unfold. music for a scene change.

honestly releasing these 1 at a time was just a bad, bad idea. if it's a concept record where every song plays a small part of the story, why wouldn't they release it all at once? a song like this does not make sense in this context.

i don't know what you guys are hearing but i hear a chorus here. i dig it. synth is nice, kind of gives me air moon safari vibes.

dunno if any of you listened to that album but if not it's good. a classic, one would say.
Go back to r/smashingpumpkins

Old 03-22-2023, 02:30 PM   #52
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
Nah, I've heard this "we really feel that our new album is one of our best ever" by so many goddamn bands when the opposite is true that the bait-and-switch is either an industry standard, or just musicians believing their own BS.
This used to annoy me, but really, what are they supposed to say? They're promoting their new album, movie, whatever—no one's gonna say "Look, I'm not sure about this one" or "I liked the last two better" or something. It's a natural thing to think the latest piece of art you've created is your best, and if it's not your actual opinion, PR folks know "it's my best work" is gonna be the soundbite a million cut-and-paste articles will use for a headline. They'll be able to say how they actually feel about it when their next thing comes out.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:33 PM   #53
phang
Ownz

Reporter: "So how does ATUM sound?"

Billy: "Well you remember my last album? No? Well anyway, it sucked, and it isn't as good as that one."

Reporter: "Sounds great! Thanks for coming on to the show!"

Old 03-22-2023, 10:31 PM   #54
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

The best part about this podcast was the ironic effect of the "how to spot a narcissist and escape narcissistic abuse" ad that played during the break just before the debut of the "song".

Is this unintended irony, or has the algorithm pieced together what we're all trapped in?

Old 03-23-2023, 02:00 AM   #55
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Go back to r/smashingpumpkins
Go back to r/nin

Old 03-24-2023, 05:34 AM   #56
Green Eyes
Demi-God

I really am surprised how much I’m enjoying Act III so far. Well done William!

Old 03-24-2023, 05:43 AM   #57
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Go back to r/rapefantasies

Old 03-24-2023, 08:05 AM   #58
Machinist
Ownz

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Go back to r/nin
Now, there are some pretty mean things said on this board, but I think you've gone too far this time.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:36 AM   #59
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post

You mean D’Arcy would have binned it. Apparently she was the only person saving us from these kind of songs.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:34 AM   #60
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

“James, we have begun processes on the preceding release. We are working once again at my homestudio, The Sad Lands II, and I am zooming with Jimmy once a day to explain how I need precise metronomic, simple drum machine-esque percussion to truly breathe light into these songs. We can’t let you into the Zoom for obvious reasons and we are working on it as though it is Siamese Dream but you are more than welcome to stay at my house if you want to come watch me work on it for a few days. You know James I really want you to feel involved. Chloe and I really want you to spend a week or two here with my family.”

“Hey big guy!! Hope the winter is treating you well over in the Windy City!! XD I would love to come by but I’m reallllyyyyyy busy here in Sunny Malibu cranking out these soundtracks for Lifetime, you wouldn’t believe how much they pay to have a former rock star score their movies!!! Anyways, good luck on the album, can’t wait to feel the rock again when we’re back on the road. Ciao!”