Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Icky Thump has leaked, and Jack White is pissed...

Anyone have links to the leak?

Apparently the entire album was played on Q101 today or yesterday.. I can't believe Davin missed this..?

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/ja...-fee.html#more
Jack White Leaves The DJ Who Leaked Icky Thump Feeling Pretty Dumb

How bad is the quality of that Icky Thump leak sendspacing its way around the web? You know well that we'll ravenously consume a record regardless the bitrate, but this one's pushing it. Each of your emails came with the appropriate caveat (aww thanks guys): it's a radio-rip, it sounds shitty. Begs the question: Who'd be ballsy/ignorant enough to play the entire album over two weeks before release?

That, friends, is Chicago's Q101 DJ Electra, and Jack White is PISSED. The self-professed Queen of Snark posted this in her defense after Mr. White gave her a stern talking to (via Web Vomit):

At 2pm today, during my show, Q101 became the first station in the world to play the new White Stripes album, Icky Thump. It's awesome. It's really, really, unbelievably brilliant and awesome. I was giddy and excited to share it with fellow fans.

At 4pm today, Jack White called Q101's main offices from Spain, where they're touring, looking specifically for me, to yell at ME for leaking the album and, in part, being "messed up for the entire (music) business." (Edit - I listened to the call again today, and I apologize for initially misquoting Jack.) I felt like I was going to throw up. Weirdest, most surreal conversation of my life.

So Sherman and Tingle were on the air when Jack called. They took the call with me in the studio, off the air. Jack asked me to take responsibility for leaking the record, and asked if I was sorry for what I'd done. S&T both jumped into the call - I was clearly flustered - and backed me 100%. We tried to explain where we were coming from - someone gave us a copy of a record that we were really excited to play, and the whole experience was an hour-long lovefest for him and his band - but he wasn't having it. He hung up, very, very angry, and I thought I was going to cry. Instead, I drank some beers that the Fix had left in the studio. Room temperature Bud Light. Delicious.

After speaking to Jack's manager and getting their side of the story, Spike and I went on the air with S&T to open up the situation to the listeners. We respected Jack's desire not to be on the air and didn't re-air the call, but we talked about what was said and what happened. I'm extremely grateful to everyone who called in supporting us. I don't think I am helping to ruin the music industry. I think I made people excited for the new White Stripes record. I know that was our intention.

I also still think Jack White is an incredibly talented musician, and I still think the new record is amazing. I just don't think I'll be able to listen to it without feeling like crap for a good long while.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Won't be all everybody else has to say about that, though. Feel bad for Jack, and side with him, too. What Electra did isn't like a blogger leaking an entire album, but -- and not to get all CBS/Imus about this -- there's a responsibility to using those airwaves; it involves being aware that some kid with audiojacking software is a right-click-save away from spreading all you play. It also involves being aware that if you leak Jack White's shit he will call you up and make you cry.
Posted at 7:41 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...king-radio-dj/
5/31/07, 6:07 pm EST
Jack White Scolds “Icky Thump”-Leaking Radio DJ

Those of you adept at navigating the internet’s seedy file sharing sites may find the entirety of the White Stripes new album Icky Thump online. The leak appears to have sprung when DJ Electra at Chicago’s Q101 radio station played the thing in its entirety and it was instantly bootlegged by resourceful listeners. This really, really pissed off band frontman Jack White, who apparently called the station from Spain, scolded Electra and asked her if she was sorry for what she’d done, which she isn’t. “Someone gave us a copy of a record that we were really excited to play,” the shaken DJ wrote on her blog. “The whole experience was an hour-long lovefest for him and his band.” White’s outburst may have forced Electra to consume massive quantities of room temperature Bud Light, but her sacrifice was for a good cause as many of you are no doubt currently treating your ears to the melodious sounds of some rocking bagpipes.

http://djelectra.blogspot.com/ (the DJ's blog)
http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/i...howtopic=53103 (white stripes thread, but you have to register)

apparently blogs that are linking to the leak have been getting emails like this:

"Web Sheriff
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013 / Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
[email protected] www.websheriff.com

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear [Website] Bloggers,

Kindly remove the unreleased WHITE STRIPES links from this thread immediately, failing which - regrettably - a DMCA notification shall be forwarded to the site and take-down action shall follow : naturally, however, we hope that this shall not prove to be necessary.

As you will surely know, traffic on this (unreleased) album is being monitored and removed ... .. and not just by Web Sheriff, but also by Warners and their attorneys so, if you have to indulge in this activity (which Jack and Meg would rather you didn't), then do it off-line / do not 'broadcast' it. Otherwise your details will be harvested and you may be hearing from Warners and / or the RIAA.

On behalf of the artist’s label, we do appreciate that - of course - you are a fans of / are promoting THE WHITE STRIPES but, by the same token, you must also appreciate that, by posting a pirate copy of the album or tracks from the album pre-release (or linking to pirate copies), you are potentially causing considerable inconvenience and we are sure that you would not want to be personally responsible (or liable) for all of the resulting damage.

Thank you for respecting the artist's and label's wishes and, if you want good quality, non-pirated preview tracks, NME magazine are offering 2 tracks by The White Stripes on coloured vinyl with next week's issue.

Whilst writing, we'd add that we're not at all against free music but, at the end of the day, it should be (and is) the artist's decision as to whether or not they allow albums to circulate before release, as it's THEIR MUSIC !! For the avoidance of doubt, the Q101 broadcast yesterday was NOT authorised (so there are no double standards applying here).

As you will appreciate, this e-mail - containing, as it does, a position that is potentially prejudicial to our clients’ open / formal position - is written on a without prejudice basis and, as such, all of our clients’ accumulated, worldwide rights remain strictly reserved : please excuse this required formality.

With Thanks & Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

[email protected] www.websheriff.com
."

Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
threetwooneZERO
Apocalyptic Poster

Meh, I agree.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

http://rapidshare.com/files/34581027...IcKy_Thump.rar

Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000

Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
I'm Hardcore
Banned

yeah but anyone who doesnt understand why he's pissed is a fucking inbred

Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
neopryn
let's see your penis!

i support Jack

Old 06-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
I'm Hardcore
Banned

me too bro

Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid_love
i don't get it

Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore
yeah but anyone who doesnt understand why he's pissed is a fucking inbred

Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

inbreds are pretty cool

Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
i don't get it
the whole article was about him being pissed off about the leak and then you posted a link...boy i hate explaining things that are funny. it's not funny anymore

Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

oh ok

yeah bit subtle for me

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

why does smashingjj have a picture of you in his avatar

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

because he has a picture of me in his avatar

Old 06-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #15
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

DJs are so fucking dumb. they think that there is no such thing as bad press. they have zero shame. this girl knew what she was doing, and she knew the probable consequences, but now her goofy ass DJ name is all over rolling stone and E!, so she's however many pegs above all the other bottomfeeders, and she's probably secretly really happy about it.

just like those morning show cunts who were ragging on weird al about his parents dying. "WHY ARE YOU BEING SO QUIET AL? WHAT'S WRONG? WHAT WAS THE EXACT CAUSE OF DEATH OF YOUR FOLKS AGAIN?"

Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
null123
Minion of Satan

good. she got what was coming to her. when has anything like this ever happened where Jack didn't stand up for himself?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Screwjack
Gonzo

Woah woah woah....Weird Al's parents kicked it? Poor guy.

And being a local listener, I can really vouch for it:

Electra is a dumbshit. Complete dumbshit.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
null123
Minion of Satan

Jack White is the only decent person alive on the planet today

Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Screwjack
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster
jack white is a talentless bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag
Jack White is the only decent person alive on the planet today
As usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #20
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwjack
As usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
lol

Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #21
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

Live on Jools Holland 5.31.07

Icky Thump

Effect and Cause

My Doorbell with Jools on Keyboards

Interview with Jack

Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #22
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Weird Al's parents died from some freak thing like a carbon monoxide leak. They were older, but healthy, so it must have been pretty unexpected for them to both kick it like that. Sucks for Weird Al.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #23
Trent_Reznor
Pledge

JACK WHITE IS TALENTLESS AND REALLY WHITE

Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
null123
Minion of Satan

thanks for that markpregen.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #25
markpregen
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
thanks for your 666th post

Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 AM   #26
D.
Consume my pants.

where's the damn (non radio rip) leak already?!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #27
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
shut up

Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #28
null123
Minion of Satan

wait what

Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 AM   #29
D.
Consume my pants.

what wait

Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #30
Caine Walker
Braindead

ha! jack was so pissed about this, that he rescheduled chicago dates from september to october.