Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2022, 06:33 PM   #571
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Always hated corningware. I remember some hype about vintage corningware selling for thousands on eBay. Not sure if that's true, but I do have some of the ugly things and would love to make even a few hundred off them.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #572
slunken
Virgo

i'm sure some pieces are considered rare but what isn't

Old 07-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #573
slunken
Virgo

not my rando plate thats for sure lol

Old 07-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #574
slunken
Virgo

if i recall, i was dating a biological lady that was trying to collect a full set of corning ware and that's what got me into searching

Old 07-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #575
slunken
Virgo

but the romance failed and i am stuck with this single plate

Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #576
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I've stopped watching several new shows because the scene lighting is so damn dark. Every new show over the past 2 years is lit so dark that it's distracting and hard to watch.
There's a critic, Katie Stebbins, on Twitter, who calls this phenomenon "intangible sludge," which is what I always think of now. I don't think she's written an actual article, but this one quotes her and then just wholesale lifts the examples she's used, etc. It's not just the darkness that sucks, it's that even brightly lit stuff looks fuckin' brown now.

And have you had trouble lately hearing dialogue? So you turn the volume way up and then every other scene is ear-splitting? That's deliberate too, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i think i got it at a yard sale when i was into corning ware
Slunken I see you're a Pfaltzgraff man but how do you feel about '40s Fire King jadeite plateware

Old 07-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #577
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

Slunken I see you're a Pfaltzgraff man but how do you feel about '40s Fire King jadeite plateware

absolutely stunning. do you have a full dinner set including cups?

Old 07-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #578
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

You know it, kid, we break that shit out on holidays

I don't think we have a single matching plate for actual daily use

Old 07-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #579
slunken
Virgo

how did you acquire? did you inherit? also i think you should be brave and use it every day.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #580
slunken
Virgo

My dad was cleaning out cabinets and found my great-great-grandmothers Pfaltzgraff and he wasn't sure what to do with it so I took half of everything and use it every day. Stoneware, obviously, so not particularly fragile.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #581
slunken
Virgo

its this style

Old 07-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #582
slunken
Virgo

we also found a note of her daily "to-do" list and I have it framed and hanging in my kitchen as a reminder not to be lazy with daily chores

Old 07-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #583
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Cool

Quote:

its this style
Noice

My wife worked at a small-town antique shop as a teen and I think she would basically trade labor for jadeite whenever some came in

Old 07-30-2022, 01:48 PM   #584
slunken
Virgo

hey look at me i'm married i have a wife

god such a show-off

Old 07-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #585
slunken
Virgo

(my heart breaks often)

Old 07-31-2022, 01:49 PM   #586
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
There's a critic, Katie Stebbins, on Twitter, who calls this phenomenon "intangible sludge," which is what I always think of now. I don't think she's written an actual article, but this one quotes her and then just wholesale lifts the examples she's used, etc. It's not just the darkness that sucks, it's that even brightly lit stuff looks fuckin' brown now.

And have you had trouble lately hearing dialogue? So you turn the volume way up and then every other scene is ear-splitting? That's deliberate too, baby!
Dont' get me started on the sound. It's not just the sound levels, it's a change over the past 2 decades in how actors speak. Especially male actors. They don't enunciate, and they speek in a weird whispter growl. It's uninteligible vocal fry.

Christopher Nolan's movies are the absolute worst at that. Especially the Batman films.

But it's almost all films and TV shows now. This is a great example...

Also, I love the Canadian Show "Cardinal". I am still hoping they do a spin-off series staring the Lise character.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #587
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

All that and more at the article I linked, but, yeah

Paper Girls: pretty uneven but I enjoyed the highs; I'm gonna give this a solid B with the caveat that it's maybe a C when Mac is not on the screen and A when she is and yes, when she's not around all the other characters should be asking "Where's Mac?"

Old 08-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #588
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I read your article on the sound mixing - I was expecting something along the lines of "we want to keep audiences AWAKE" or what have you, but honestly it came down to something more like neglect of the sound team in general while filming, leaving them to just do their best with what they got after filming's wrapped altogether

then there's the other element of standards being ignored in the theaters & probably most importantly (in terms of what we're talking about here) neglecting to actually mix down the surround audio to a stereo mix leading to even more wild dynamics that leave us either turning subtitles on or "riding the fader"

this is a huge problem w/ a lot of podcasts as well but that's not coming out of multi-million dollar fuckin' Hollywood productions

Old 08-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #589
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

Quote:
All that and more at the article I linked, but, yeah

Paper Girls: pretty uneven but I enjoyed the highs; I'm gonna give this a solid B with the caveat that it's maybe a C when Mac is not on the screen and A when she is and yes, when she's not around all the other characters should be asking "Where's Mac?"

Paper Girls is one of those shows that I think could have been made 20 years ago with the budget and FX you'd have seen back then on Buffy or any one of the syndicated Sci Fi shows... and that would have worked just fine. The premise with time travel and outrageous villians is perfect for that type of low budget TV. In some ways almost better, because it feels more cartoonish, like a comic.

I think the show suffers a bit from not delivering on some of the FX that you'd expect from a big streaming service. That's similar to The Wheel of Time. It looks like a show that isn't quite as good visually (and especially in the writing) as LOTR or GOT. But it might have worked just fine if it looked a bit more like Xena.... but as it is it feels like of like half way between the two.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #590
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

I get what you're saying, but it didn't bother me that this wasn't "prestige" tv, and I think there needs to be space between Xena and $100 million-an-episode stuff. Effects, costumes, acting, directing, writing, editing — fine, not great. I'm okay with that.

I do feel like I'd love to read an in-depth article on exactly what the fuck happened with that Reagan, though.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #591
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

woowee that's a nice shade of green

Old 08-05-2022, 08:24 PM   #592
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but it didn't bother me that this wasn't "prestige" tv, and I think there needs to be space between Xena and $100 million-an-episode stuff. Effects, costumes, acting, directing, writing, editing — fine, not great. I'm okay with that.

I do feel like I'd love to read an in-depth article on exactly what the fuck happened with that Reagan, though.
this is slightly unrelated but I'm so sick of streaming "prestige tv" - why don't streaming services just understand that I want to watch an old episode of Columbo or NYPD Blue or Knots Landing on demand and yes I realize Tubi exists but that's not good enough

Old 08-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #593
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Speaking of shit that's impossible to hear: You're a decent show as far as I've gotten so far, but seriously, fuck you, Netflix's The Sandman

Old 08-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #594
yo soy el mejor

the fact that tv on demand is an expectation for many is p nuts. used to be if you missed an episode, you missed it. and you caught on television whatever happened to be showing at the time. and this is coming from someone who watched a buttload of television as a kid to the point i wrote out a schedule during my summers (price is right at 11, casper at 12, baby huey at 12:30, punky brewster at 1, family ties and facts of life, etc.).

but man, television and t3levision shows are way more serious issues these days. like, people discuss them at work and everything. watched way too many episodes of jeopardy yesterday because it got its own channel on pluto so i still watch the tube, but i did suggest to tim not to get one in the first place

Old 08-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #595
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Quote:
Speaking of shit that's impossible to hear: You're a decent show as far as I've gotten so far
Said this after watching the Death/guy who can't die episode, which turns out to be as good as it gets (and I did think it was pretty good). At first I liked learning that Morpheus is just this pompous, bureaucratic windbag and all the other gods act like totally normal people, but I was almost immediately like, "Yeah, I hate this fuckin' guy" and, as little as I cared about everyone in the whole stupid vortex story, I actually got annoyed every time he, the main character, showed up. Not great!

Old 08-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #596
slunken
Virgo

Is this worth watching or will it ruin Sandman for me?

Old 08-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #597
slunken
Virgo

I just started Righteous Gemstones. It's okay.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:25 AM   #598
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
I just started Righteous Gemstones. It's okay.
I did some extra work over three days down in Charleston a few weeks ago for season 3. I had no lines and anticipate a total of maybe 10 seconds of screen time but I guess you could say I'm a pretty big deal. The cast and crew were all pretty coll.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:30 AM   #599
yo soy el mejor

shaniqua was in mean girls for a sec without lines, too! and deadaswarhol also did extra stuff. y'all extra!

i didn't know we had so many stars here. i heard elijah wood posted once but i don't know how anyone actually knows that instead of it being speculation based on what? i dunno either

Old 08-11-2022, 02:34 AM   #600
yo soy el mejor

i saw a guy i used to work with (and went on one date with--to church and brunch lol) on some real-crime show where he played a boyfriend who hurt his girlfriend in reenactments. i asked him about it and he was a little embarrassed. that's the biggest star i've ever known