Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many out of 10 do u rate ATUM
0/10 - unlistenable to you. Shut it off quickly and will not return 15 22.73%
1/10 - made it about halfway thru a song before had to turn it off 4 6.06%
2/10 - there are some moments u think are kind of ok but not enough for u to ever return 8 12.12%
3/10 - there’s a song or two u kinda like, u will listen a few times before forgetting this exists 11 16.67%
4/10 - you like a handful of songs but won’t be adding ATUM to your listening life 8 12.12%
5/10 - the album has as many good as bad choices/sounds on it, it’s not bad but not good either 8 12.12%
6/10 - u feel this album is pretty good and a happy addition to the SP discography 7 10.61%
7/10 - u feel this album is very strong, but marred by missteps that keep it from greatness 1 1.52%
8/10 - you love ATUM and can see it finding a special place in your musical life 2 3.03%
9/10 - ATUM is nearly flawless and stands with some of the best albums by SP or any other band 1 1.52%
10/10 - this is one of your favorite albums of all time 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #91
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

Referring to the band in general, returning to making music with a don't give a fuck mentality and making albums that involve taking risks. This album is very risky and by ignoring the people who tried to say it wasn't a good idea, they or Billy specifically have gone back to doing what they're good at. Which is making albums that get people's attention. Clearly they've succeeded this time around. Now go read the Guardian article interview, and watch the James Corden performance interview. Then listen to Act I and tell me again that he's trying to mislead people. Don't you think if he wanted to sell the record and get people to buy it, he'd have made something way different? The very fact that the album is this unique and diverse in sound shows how wrong everyone's assumptions are regarding the returning to form theory. Also, it was one televised interview where he said that, it's not as if he has mentioned it dozens of times over and over again to try to brainwash the fans into believing that ATUM will be a similar sound as the other two albums. You gotta be pretty oblivious to not see what he actually means, and realize that the new songs were never meant to sound like anything from before. The songs are good, and countless fans agree. The only people who don't, are the ones who are hung up on a few things he said, that they decided somehow equate to Billy cheating his fans out of money. That theory is legitimately comical. Even if he originally meant that the album is a return to form and would be like Mellon Collie or Machina, then how exactly does that mean he's misleading anyone if to him that's what the album is. You people should really chill out and actually sit back and enjoy the music. You're creating such idiotic self inflicted drama, over something so incredibly petty. It's music for fuck sake. Do you realize how dumb you sound trying to convince people that Billy is dedicated to conspiring against the fans? 🤦🏼*♂️

Old 11-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #92
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Referring to the band in general, returning to making music with a don't give a fuck mentality and making albums that involve taking risks. This album is very risky and by ignoring the people who tried to say it wasn't a good idea, they or Billy specifically have gone back to doing what they're good at. Which is making albums that get people's attention. Clearly they've succeeded this time around. Now go read the Guardian article interview, and watch the James Corden performance interview. Then listen to Act I and tell me again that he's trying to mislead people. Don't you think if he wanted to sell the record and get people to buy it, he'd have made something way different? The very fact that the album is this unique and diverse in sound shows how wrong everyone's assumptions are regarding the returning to form theory. Also, it was one televised interview where he said that, it's not as if he has mentioned it dozens of times over and over again to try to brainwash the fans into believing that ATUM will be a similar sound as the other two albums. You gotta be pretty oblivious to not see what he actually means, and realize that the new songs were never meant to sound like anything from before. The songs are good, and countless fans agree. The only people who don't, are the ones who are hung up on a few things he said, that they decided somehow equate to Billy cheating his fans out of money. That theory is legitimately comical. Even if he originally meant that the album is a return to form and would be like Mellon Collie or Machina, then how exactly does that mean he's misleading anyone if to him that's what the album is. You people should really chill out and actually sit back and enjoy the music. You're creating such idiotic self inflicted drama, over something so incredibly petty. It's music for fuck sake. Do you realize how dumb you sound trying to convince people that Billy is dedicated to conspiring against the fans? 🤦🏼*♂️
Isn’t it just deliciously great to read an essay about how actually i like ATUM, i just don’t know it yet? Lol thanks reddit where would i be without u

Old 11-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #93
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 11-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #94
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Jesus..those speaking german...lol

https://www.laut.de/The-Smashing-Pum...m-Act-I-119625

Also ratings on sputnikmusic or albumoftheyear or rateyourmusic are so so bad...

Eviltimeban...did you already get banned at redfit for being negativ???

Old 11-24-2022, 02:58 AM   #95
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Can confirm the SP Reddit is now deleting comments criticizing ATUM.

No wonder Bill can get away with this shit.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:25 AM   #96
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Netphoria has decided. The average score out of 40 total votes is 2.9: there is a song or two we kinda like, we will listen a few times before forgetting this exists

Also wtf there are 40 of us. Guess most u fuckers lurkin, huh

Old 11-24-2022, 03:34 AM   #97
run2pee
Minion of Satan

That’s 2.9 out of ten. This is NOT a three star record, nobody says it is

Old 11-24-2022, 03:57 AM   #98
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The 0 thru 3 ratings are over the top. I believe out of 65 ratings albumoftheyear has it at 42/100. I’d say 5/10 is a realistic rating for this album.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:49 AM   #99
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The bar was set too high almost 30 years ago (omg that stings to say). So I rated with the inclusion of residual disappointment. But even so, the description is accurate that I like 2-3 songs but won't be making it a point to listen to them often.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #100
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
Can confirm the SP Reddit is now deleting comments criticizing ATUM.

No wonder Bill can get away with this shit.
mine was cut. absolutely blindingly fucking stupid

mark of a good record

Old 11-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #101
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Not sure why I thought reddit was more open to different opinions....

Old 11-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #102
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Three songs

The Good in Goodbye, Embracer, and Steps in Time are good and and earn it a 4 according to this scale, but 3 good songs is a big success to me at this point.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #103
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

a 2 or 3 for this is absolutely fair

in or out of context this fucking sucks as a whole, best thing about it is the album art

Old 11-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #104
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

maybe a bonus .5 for making the last few look better, that's a positive quality right?

Old 11-29-2022, 05:32 PM   #105
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
How can you read about an album for years and not be curious enough to listen even once?
I dunno, there's so much music out there and so little time that I already feel like I can never hope to get around to listening to everything I would like, which creates less urgency for listening to music that I would not like. I purchased Monuments fully expecting to listen to it, and it's sitting on my shelf still in its shrink wrap.

I think waiting with bated breath for each Teargarden release, only to be disappointed each time, really dampened my interest. And when Oceania came around, even though it was appreciably better than Teargarden, it just wasn't better enough to keep me interested. Like, would I listen to an album that's just "not bad" if it was released by literally any other band? Why spend time doing something boring?

Old 11-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #106
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

He hides a decent EP in each of these, or at least did up to CYR

I'll happily listen to most of Monuments save for Being Beige (which is just sort of "whatever) + Run2Me and Anti-Hero (which are actively bad)

Shiny, Marchin' On & With Sympathy are the winners from Shiny, w/ at least one or two of the well-recorded Solara live performances as a nice little bonus

CYR was where they pretty much lost my interest aggressively - I actually still haven't listened to that one in full - & this new thing by all means should have solidified of it but I guess the added uh, "circus" of it all gives it an added level of entertainment

Last edited by Joey Goldberg : 11-30-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:04 PM   #107
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I reserve the right to adjust my score as new songs come out.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #108
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
He hides a decent EP in each of these, or at least did up to CYR

I'll happily listen to most of Monuments save for Being Beige (which is just sort of "whatever) + Run2Me and Anti-Hero (which are actively bad)

Shiny, Marchin' On & With Sympathy are the winners from Shiny, w/ at least one or two of the well-recorded Solara live performances as a nice little bonus

CYR was where they pretty much lost my interest aggressively - I actually still haven't listened to that one in full - & this new thing by all means should have solidified of it but I guess the added uh, "circus" of it all gives it an added level of entertainment
I agree with your assessment.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:25 PM   #109
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

This is simply not listenable or defendable. It has a low RYM and Sputnik score for a reason. It’s just bad.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #110
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I thought this was a double album. Why are there 11 songs? There are two songs on this board (Avalanche and Empires) that aren't listed here. Are those part of ATUM or not? Is this ssome Ticktock Zoomer shit for the ADD generation? Wwhy are all of you little assholes on my lawn?

Old 12-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #111
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I dunno, there's so much music out there and so little time that I already feel like I can never hope to get around to listening to everything I would like, which creates less urgency for listening to music that I would not like. I purchased Monuments fully expecting to listen to it, and it's sitting on my shelf still in its shrink wrap.

I think waiting with bated breath for each Teargarden release, only to be disappointed each time, really dampened my interest. And when Oceania came around, even though it was appreciably better than Teargarden, it just wasn't better enough to keep me interested. Like, would I listen to an album that's just "not bad" if it was released by literally any other band? Why spend time doing something boring?
So you'd rather read about people discussing an album you haven't listened to? Serious question.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #112
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Maybe I'm just disappointed that we don't get a Disco King over-analysis of WHY it sucks

Old 12-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #113
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

having not listened to it I would be happy to give you a breakdown:

1.) no Moulder, no Flood, no Vig
2.) dropped consonants and vibrato galore, all too high in the mix with not enough space for the instruments to breathe
3.) too many clown show fuck shit noises such as whimsical synths as seen on TBK, whale noises on United States, timpani fuckery on the 20th anniversary tour, just general fuckery and whimsy
4.) no D'Arcy telling Billy when his ideas suck. Gotta have a D'Arcy or you get The Phantom Menace
5.) the good songs won't actually be on the album - they will go into the vault with 200 unheard Zwan songs and all of the other naughty children

Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #114
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Alright I finally listened to this.

First of all this is the second album in a row that he's made that hasn't offended me and made me want to turn it off immediately. Is it good? No. But it's not fucking terrible

I really like Steps in Time even though it's cheesy as hell. IDK man I've been humming it. Butterfly Suite also seems okay and so does Hooligan. The rest I don't really remember. Except Hooray I guess.
Which is, I'm assuming, just a song for his kids? I don't think it would be as terrible if it were surrounded by better music and was like, the one song that sounded like a novelty song on the album. But the synths really make a lot of them sound that way.

Gave it a 3

Old 12-08-2022, 08:57 PM   #115
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I'm with you on the songs you mentioned

His goddamned vocals are too abrasive to be so high

God the mixing is just terrible

Some good guitar shit in here it's just hard to hear

Where is the Bedazzled song or whatever that sounds vaguely like vintage Sabbath? I actually like that song

Old 12-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #116
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It’s on the second part but towards the end of the album. Yeah really weird roll out of this album. I think someone compared it to Chinese water torture with the one track trickle every week. Let’s release the first single for the second part of the album, that will make total sense.

This whole thing is terribly terribly botched. An excruciatingly long winded podcast that nobody can sit thru. Not having the individual tracks available on Spotify each week. Total illogical clusterfuck marketing going on here.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:32 PM   #117
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It is totally nonsense that the revealed tracks aren't available for streaming starting the next day

Old 12-08-2022, 09:32 PM   #118
ilikeplanets
Braindead

No one is going to go clicking around a podcast to find it

Old 12-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #119
Ram27
dumb

such an incredibly dumb release strategy

i suppose it's not like that cause then the GP would have the album early, and not just the freaks that cut it from the podcast

Old 12-09-2022, 05:40 PM   #120
absof
Demi-God

they’d also struggle for podcast advertising if the songs were released separately.