Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #1
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Default Is Zeitgeist being re-issued?

SP insta teased a photo of new merch on a story today. It's a t-shirt with lyrics from Stellar: "Withstood a thought so sad I had to laugh"

I would upload the photo but I'm too fucking lazy and stupid to change the file size to fit the 5 byte limit on this dangerously ancient website.

I remember the Z era merch drop they did in 2020; one shirt had lyrics from United States. But United States is a well-liked epic that is on the official release.

Stellar is a B side / bonus track.

So...are they reissuing the album? Why else would they be promoting Z era through...Stellar?

would it be the evil mix he talked about in the podcast...?

Old 12-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

isn't the bonus psychedelic album the third entry to close out the Gish-Zeitgeist story? that might be it

Old 12-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

To be fair, Zeitgeist has an indeterminate track listing. Stellar is on the silver version. Also, a lot of people like the song. Early on, it was one of the only tracks I sort of liked. I don't think many of the songs on that album have much recall value anyways. The band acts like the singles they promoted on the album never happened; they never play them anymore.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
To be fair, Zeitgeist has an indeterminate track listing. Stellar is on the silver version, and a lot of people like it. Early on, it was one of the only tracks I sort of liked.
I mean, sure. But why promote merch featuring lyrics from a bonus track on only one of the special edition releases?

Old 12-08-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
I mean, sure. But why promote merch featuring lyrics from a bonus track on only one of the special edition releases?
It wasn't a bonus track on the silver edition. It was part of a re-sequencing for an album no one cared about. The silver version is superior to the others.

edit: I looked at discogs and it looks like it came out at the same time as the others, so I am wrong on the resequencing. It still seems like it was fully incorporated into the album though, sort of like the versions of the 2004 The Cure album. The silver edition was the version I had and most people seemed as familiar with Stellar as any other ZG song.

I wouldn't take this as a sign of ZG rerelease. Maybe BC is preparing to let it stream again, or maybe just put the song back in their set. There is really no commercial interest in this album.

Last edited by NovaFritz : 12-08-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #6
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't see why, for your average legacy fan, Stellar lyrics would be any more obscure than Tarantula lyrics.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It wasn't a bonus track on the silver edition. It was part of a re-sequencing for an album no one cared about. The silver version is superior to the others.
All right, fine. The silver best buy reissue bundle from Oct 2007 that includes a DVD and additional tracks not on the original issue. I would still consider that a 'bonus track,' but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
I don't see why, for your average legacy fan, Stellar lyrics would be any more obscure than Tarantula lyrics.
Yeah, maybe. I just thought this was odd. Why do a merch drop two years after the last merch drop featuring an obscure song on an album that is still out of print?

Old 12-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
All right, fine. The silver best buy reissue bundle from Oct 2007 that includes a DVD and additional tracks not on the original issue. I would still consider that a 'bonus track,' but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, maybe. I just thought this was odd. Why do a merch drop two years after the last merch drop featuring an obscure song on an album that is still out of print?
Is it from October then? OK, I thought it was July per discogs. This makes more sense. I just find it hard to call it a bonus track when the songs are placed within the original album flow. Seemed to me that they wanted to improve the album with better songs.

But maybe they just wanted to re-sell it to fans.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #9
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

But maybe they just wanted to re-sell it to fans.
That's what I always thought, too. Reprise royally fucked that release from the start.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #10
Disco King
Minion of Satan

They release merch based on their previous albums all the time. They've had Oceania-inspired t-shirts well after they were done promoting that album and had released other albums. At a time when nobody involved with the album other than Corgan himself were even in the band.

Even when they had that wave of Adore-inspired merch, it was well after the Adore reissue, IIRC.

I'm sure Corgan intends to reissue Zeitgeist at some point. He's said as much. But he's also been intending to reissue Machina for a decade now.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:07 PM   #11
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
But he's also been intending to reissue Machina for a decade now.
[IMG]

via GIPHY

[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
They release merch based on their previous albums all the time. They've had Oceania-inspired t-shirts well after they were done promoting that album and had released other albums. At a time when nobody involved with the album other than Corgan himself were even in the band.

Even when they had that wave of Adore-inspired merch, it was well after the Adore reissue, IIRC.
you're totally right. Could be the same deal here. BUT

fucking Stellar?

Really??

That's a bold piece of merch to drop.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #13
Disco King
Minion of Satan

They were selling a keychain with Monuments lyrics on it a bit ago.

There are fewer than 100 people in the world who would instantly recognize any lyrics from that album.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #14
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
They were selling a keychain with Monuments lyrics on it a bit ago.

There are fewer than 100 people in the world who would instantly recognize any lyrics from that album.
I forgot about that keychain.

But you see it was so cool because its a keychain like for your car keys and you can drive home the right way OR you could drive home the WRONG WAY its really super clever very clever

but yeah, Stellar shirt could just be that.

A shirt you wear in outer space.