Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #181
sleeper
Minion of Satan

im really swooning over the last ones. ive been won over hardcore. its such a crime that theyre the wrong size. i dotn deserve this. ive suffered enough, god cant do this shit to me, that pig

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #182
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper
honestly, i rarely buy anything new. i dont know how weve worked up this situation where im the prude and youre the sensible buyer who knows what to look for. literally almost everything i buy is used. i just bought some used books online for dirt cheap, and got 6 amazing books for 6 dollars at the church sale last weekend. both of my drum kits are used, all of my cameras and equipment is used, my computer monitor is used, etc. so im as stingy as you alright. please, dont insult me

ok ill look for a harmonica

they arent russian? the first one isnt, i guess, but the other two are. i mean how could you not say the second one is russian? its as russian as russian gets. please, dont insult me

well who says theyre brainwashed? love it or hate it, its all of a very rational nature, theyre not all brainwashed
I alone don't know how we got into this situation. It's quite funny actually, there's this one play I know where there's a school principal and a teacher, and when the control comes, they are so scared, that they switched their roles and principal is acting like ateacher and a teacher is a principal. something like that i think.

I was critical to Laika design - and that's Swatch. The second one LOOKS LIKE a Russian stuff - I find a bit suspicious it says 'manufactured in CCCP'. Is this a new exporting strategy? And who would fake something to make it look like it's from Russia? Anyways, this watches wouldn't top my mother's.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #183
sleeper
Minion of Satan

thats funny, with the roles reversing like that. this is good food for thought. im going to add it to my new "things to think about" list. i finally caved in and started one. i have lists for everything now

you seem to have some kind of complex involving your mother, jan. your mothers watch is perfect and ideal, you suggest? no other "watch" can compare, correct? let me ask you jan: do you wish to make love to her? do you hate your father for having her all to himself? hes competition, jan. he must be eliminated

im going to buy some cool hipster clothes for you at this weeks garage sales, you need to loosen up and change your ways. canadian women dont go for the technician type, they like their guys to look quasi-homeless. dont worry, ill make you look like shit alright

that song you sent was pretty romantic i thought. that ebow has really gotten a hold of you. in a good way i mean

Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 AM   #184
sleeper
Minion of Satan

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichic...72/s007289.jpg

Old 04-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #185
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
thats funny, with the roles reversing like that. this is good food for thought. im going to add it to my new "things to think about" list. i finally caved in and started one. i have lists for everything now

you seem to have some kind of complex involving your mother, jan. your mothers watch is perfect and ideal, you suggest? no other "watch" can compare, correct? let me ask you jan: do you wish to make love to her? do you hate your father for having her all to himself? hes competition, jan. he must be eliminated

im going to buy some cool hipster clothes for you at this weeks garage sales, you need to loosen up and change your ways. canadian women dont go for the technician type, they like there guys to look quasi-homeless. dont worry, ill make you look like shit alright

that song you sent was pretty romantic i thought. that ebow has really gotten a hold of you. in a good way i mean
I intend to invite my mother to check out my Canadian realities sometime this or next year, so you can find out what's my mother like on your own.

there's hardly something more hipster than my sweater and my handerkiefs - and you know it.

Mozetich is a teacher at Queen's University in Kingston. I am gonna send it to him. We're gonna pull this live, too. This is too good to let it be I think.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #186
sleeper
Minion of Satan

your mom can come jam with us jan

your handkerchief is really avant garde though, its beyond hipster. youre ahead of your times i think. in ten years handkerchiefs are going to be all the rage. theyre going to replace jewelery as the thing everyone flashes around in rap videos.

but i really do think its super cool and all so "european." what kind of reactions have you gotten from other people on it?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #187
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Quote:
ok some new candidates

this one is pretty interesting but i dont think im sufficiently extroverted to actually ever wear something like this. its also too explicitly hip. i can see it becoming a liability in no time flat
http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAUL-SMITH-RED-EA...QQcmdZViewItem

im attracted to these and i dont know why. everything is telling me that theyre hideous yet i cant look away
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nike-retro-orange...QQcmdZViewItem

i actually really love these. i would buy them in a second were they not a size too big. theyre great great great
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KILLER-VINTAGE-PA...QQcmdZViewItem
juat go down to 'Groovy' right by the Chum building on Queen West. Limited edition sneakers. Might be expensive but thats what you get if you want a pair you've never seen anywhere else.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #188
sleeper
Minion of Satan

that store is pretty good, for sure, but if i can get away with spending 10 bucks or soemthing as opposed to 100, ill do it

so which of the above shoes do you think i should get? if any. i only really like that one, the "patrick" ones, and am just kind of acquiescing to the rest. ive surrendered. ive looked for months and months and havent found what i was really looking for so im just settling down with the subpar

and i actually do kind of want something ive never seen. thats not explicitly the goal, but it might as well be. im just kind of sick of all the shoes ive been seeing for the past few years (this type mainly http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNISEX-26-5-CM-AS...QQcmdZViewItem ) and refuse to just give in and get something too much like that.

what kind of shoes do you wear? or is that a ridiculous question? i know girls are supposed to have like dozens of pairs of shoes, but ive never known a girl that really fit into that stereotype

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #189
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

i like the nike and the patrick ones. I own a pair of asics but they aren't very well made compared to the adidas i've owned in the past- my adidas' i had for over 5 years of daily wear and they held up great. The asics started getting holes in the toes 6 months in. .If you end up buying an expensive pair in the end, adidas is worth it.

i try to wear sneakers whenever i can since they're comfortable. I have those asics (which i'll probably toss soon) and a pair of brown leather converse that lace up past my calves i wear in the winter. Its time for me to go shoe shopping again.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #190
sleeper
Minion of Satan

here i went shoe shopping for you

these are funny
http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/d9/43/16_1_b.JPG

this is tastefully hobo. good for smoggy summer days am i wrong
http://images.andale.com/f2/125/130/...013106_072.jpg

i love little-kids-sweater-esque embroidery, and these shoes kind of have that. honeslty, if i was a girl i would buy a closet full of little boys sweaters. the knit wool ones with huge embroidered animals that stand like an inch off of the sweater. kind of like this http://www.handmade-knits.com/white%...ont-medium.jpg
theres not a guy alive that could resist something like that. its works on very subconscious level i think. and no im not a pedophile
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/7/5.../9797415_o.jpg

these would make any guy swoon. if i was a girl and more comfortable with myself i would buy these. it might be hard to find the right context to wear them in, though, let alone something they dont clash with
http://www.dianeslittlelambs.com/Rai.../pnk_kitty.jpg

these are kind of shit, i admit, but i like slipper-y looking shoes and embroidery, and this has both. the co-opting of native culture like that is usually pretty tacky though, its hard to get away with
http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/e0/fb/f4_1.JPG

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #191
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

haha, i like the 1st, 3rd and 4th pairs. If i have money i buy Irregular Choice (i own a black pair that sadly give me blisters) If i could afford it i'd buy half their catalogue. Groovy is the only place i've ever seen that sells them in the store : http://www.irregularchoice.co.uk/home.htm

http://www.mayday.es/imatges/catalog...CHOICE_pic.jpg

Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #192
sleeper
Minion of Satan

haha im surprised you like the 4th, thats cool. i didnt expect that

ive never heard of irregular choice but i just went to their website and, wow, theres some wacky shit going on over there. again, im not confident enough to actually wear most any of this stuff, but some of it is pretty tempting. i like how psychotic they are. schizophrenic. the back of the shoe is like leather then the front becomes this like jagged piece of wool or something. ive never seen stuff like this before
theyre super expensive right?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #193
RopeyLopey
Braindead

we should make some excursion to Bata shoe museum one day. Maybe I could get us some discount since Bata was Czech as well (actually MY MOTHER comes from the same city just like him)

Old 04-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #194
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

not super expensive, but they put a dent in the budget. For a pair of boots, they're around $250 cdn. Women's shoes around $150 give or take. In the next two weeks, i'm making a trip downtown, you should come along. I've tried a few pairs on before and i have to admit, they're for show - they aren't comfortable at all but everything there is completely my style- i just don't have that cash for cool, uncomfortable shoes.

i haven't gotten the chance to go to the Bata yet. I'm a bit of a clotheshorse so i'd like it there.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #195
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonmonster
In the next two weeks, i'm making a trip downtown
well let me know then and we could do Bata and maybe that Vieuphoria thing, too.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #196
sleeper
Minion of Satan

ok, yeah, so lets all go to bata and shoe shopping. ive never been to bata either and it looks fun

have any of you been to the science centre in recent years? i went a while ago, before the body works (or whatever it was called) thing and its amazing how much cool stuff there is there, i totally forgot

jan, how much touristy stuff have you done here? have you gone to the CN tower yet?

the ROM rocks too, especially on their free fridays thing

toronto is becoming pretty cool finally. there are so many interesting buildings going up. has anyone heard of that rail line that theyre going to turn into a bike path? im going to be all over that

i just went biking tonight and, oh man, im getting flashbacks of last summers nighttime biking bliss. nothing beats biking on summer nights, its the ultimate!

Old 04-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #197
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shparticus
HAY GUYS, WHATS GOIN ON IN THIS THREAD?!?
Sleeper is plotting how to run away with your wife

Quote:
ok, yeah, so lets all go to bata and shoe shopping. ive never been to bata either and it looks fun
hey sorry, I haven't noticed there was a new post.

Quote:
have any of you been to the science centre in recent years? i went a while ago, before the body works (or whatever it was called) thing and its amazing how much cool stuff there is there, i totally forgot

jan, how much touristy stuff have you done here? have you gone to the CN tower yet?

the ROM rocks too, especially on their free fridays thing
science centre - is that building somewhere in the ravine? Bathurst? i think I was biking once past that building.

Toronto and touristy stuff - I've been to CN Tower once in 2000. That was nice. I was really fascinated with all that theatre people were making up on the tower, as there are those plexiglass slabs in the floor you can walk on - that it's like as if you were standing in the air. There were people who would never ever stand on it, on the other hand there were these kids rolling on the floor all over it and jumping to make it break, everyone taking pictures - it was wild. The elevator guy had a dirty unwashed uniform.
As I was flying back in January, we had a clear skies and the pilot was going twice over Toronto so I tihnk I am satisfied with aerial vistas of Toronto for now I think. Also, if my mother comes for a visit, I will take her up , anyways.

I've been to ROM, but it was rather quick - I think I went there on Wednesday evening when it's free for one hour or something.

what else touristy stuff I am missing? Do they have elephants in the zoo?

Quote:
i just went biking tonight and, oh man, im getting flashbacks of last summers nighttime biking bliss. nothing beats biking on summer nights, its the ultimate!
you should turn it into a song.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #198
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

yeah they have elephants at the zoo- if you go, go on a weekday around now- less kids than in the summer. It took me 4 hours to get through everything (except the canadian section because who really cares about squirrels anyway).Their primate section was the most interesting section for me. The ROM is good- Friday nights are free to all regular exhibits, however bc of the construction, parts of it may be difficult to get through.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #199
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Bata is for free on Thursdays 5-8pm. Otherwise it's 6 bucks. Let me know when you wanna go.

I'd go to that zoo - I've never seen an elephant I think. Isn't xtina's father working in that zoo? or was it mirrar? No, mirrar's dad is the radio DJ, right?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #200
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
the core idea here that you keep on mentioning is that youd have to talk to them to know what it means exactly, but that if it means what weve been talking about then, sure, youd criticize it. i generally agree that its dependent on other things, as ive pained to make clear, but at the same time i think i have, youd agree, a lower threshold than you. i think im pretty distrustful of what people say about themselves. with that, theres such possibility for dishonesty or misrepresentation, while their actions, on the other hand, are pretty definitive. with speech, i wouldnt necessarily accept the meaning of what someone says, but look to the meaning of the act of saying it. if you see what i mean. i dont think youre exactly suggesting this, but i dont think that it all has to be so explicit, where you have to hear what they say about their belief. i think other things can suffice as evidence towards these ends. like i dont have to ask anything someone about what their faith means, because other parts of their character or behaviour can explain it all. i think we agree on this though, i dont think youre so literal with it

it seems like, in general, our views are converging. or, rather, just being revealed to not be that far apart. its all so peaceful
When I said you would have to talk to the person first, I was presupposing that all you had to go on previously was factual knowledge of their association (membership) with a religion. We did agree earlier that what we're talking about is a person who is "religious" in a particular kind of way, but then you brought it back to actual religion, insisting on a significance there, which means we're still wavering in terms of from where exactly you are stating your case.

I think the difference between you and me in regards to this is that you're actually a very absolutist person. You have this odd way of supposing that one thing will lead to a similar thing and to another and another, etc., and that the whole scope of these things is actually WRONG. Why "wrong" instead of "unhealthy" or "risky" or "distasteful"? There seems to be this instant butterfly effect going on. It's hard for me to participate in an argument that seems to be happening on a sliding scale. Your question to me seems to be, in summary, "If all these things surrounding and resembling and representing religion exist, if what looks like and smells like and tastes like religion or the other thing I just said, and there's this correlation between that and all these other things that I don't like and you obviously don't either, then isn't there SOMETHING going on there?" Well, yes, of course there is, but it's an uninteresting question and an uninteresting answer. This question is so big it has to take place in smaller increments, in reality, for any definite statement to be made.

The kind of logistic jumps you seem so eager to make require a certain element of "religious" thought, which is something I could rub in your face at every angle if I were a more spiteful person.

But the point is that you do seem to use your own "world view" on a religious mind being wrong in a way that conveniently escapes discussion of religion as a phenomenon in human terms.

The thing you seem to be trying to expose in me (and I'm sure some of this is just you screwing around) is that I'm either a religious nutcase in disguise or that in general I don't like typical "religion" any more than you do. The former I thought I'd already admitted was true, and the latter, well, there's no way for you to know except presupposition, is there? In my book, the fact that I'm simply advocating the absolute (and this is the only absolute I've mentioned myself) importance of judging situations for yourself. You seem more interested in having a purely theoretical argument for which the terms are nearly impossible to decide. In order to have the argument you seem to want to be having, we have to make so many assumptions that the thing itself becomes bloated to the point of no longer resembling any kind of actual reality.

Assumptions I am NOT willing to make (if this discussion is to be representative of the reality of religion at all):

- That a person who is religious is necessarily more closed-minded as a result of their being religious and that if they were not religious they would be more open to the possibilities of rational thought. (I don't think religion and/or faith and rationality are mutually exclusive at all. In human terms, neither one is more REAL or legitimate than the other unless you're talking about literal interpretations of dogmatic scripture.)

- That religious thought and/or feeling is necessarily definable from spiritual feeling or that religion necessarily crushes "true" (squirrels) spirituality when it comes to how it resides in individual people. (I have no proof of this. If you want to talk about what you think about how spirituality works, I would welcome your not wussing out on it finally, as this is actually interesting to me. If you actually think you know something about it, I might even be humbled.)

- That the terms and language in which most people would accept a bland, one-dimensional discussion about religion as a generic entity is sufficient for trying to answer this question of judging or criticizing people in a discussion with me. (If you're not going to stand behind your language and definitions and at least try to say exactly what you mean, I don't even want to talk about this, but again, like last time, tiger, it will be you who is wussing out.)

- That cultural tolerance and religious tolerance aren't, to a certain practical extent, the same thing.

- That you will be able to to get away with making absolutist statements without explaining the logic behind them and using THAT to clinch an argument against religion of all things.

If you're so into judging people by actions, anyway, do you actually think there is a such thing as a "religious action"? If you don't think it's simply an action, then how exactly does it tie back to religion?

And how can you judge that something that exists in someone's mind that you admit yourself you can't understand is WRONG when you admit that you yourself can't understand it?

Bearing these two things in mind, how does anything you've said add up to any more than "the thing I imagine religious people are thinking, which I can't imagine because I personally can't possibly understand it, is something I don't like because I somehow imagine it is wrong"?

I thought I would throw in personal anecdotes to loosen up the phlegmatic substance of your words, or rather because a truly intellectual push to this discussion is hopeless. Since the squirrels. You have to admit it.

Dearie me, I've spent so much time trying to drill below the surface of your brain that I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to give you fashion advice.

Lee says we don't understand each others' sense of humor. Go figure.

I'm still being nice in my own way. You'll just have to have to take that on faith.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #201
Lie
Socialphobic

And now we can play "find the sentence fragment in Elisabeth's argument that was supposed to be something more before she lost her train of thought and forgot to finish it."

It wasn't me, GOD PUT IT THERE

Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #202
Lie
Socialphobic

And I don't know what all this crap is about Libertarianism and equating everything in the world I think with Colin on all grounds.

You know, I have never stated that I am a Libertarian BUT I GUESS YOU CAN TELL FROM MY ACTIONS

The thing I've noticed is that you use group labels in arguments in a negative sense, against people, but that becomes as much of a crutch for your points as you accuse them of using those group labels for in the first place.

You seem to always be the one who brings it up. It might do you good to consider that other peoples' so-called religion or life philosophies mean less to them than the importance you place on it, religiously, in your own head.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #203
Lie
Socialphobic

You've got me going now, Mark (it is MARK, right? Can I call you MARK?), and that was a mistake.

I'm going to get to the bottom of you.

I'm going to reach as far into your writhing consciousness as I need to get what I want.

It's going to be like intellectual rape.

You're a horrible tease.

With your trashy, above-knee, flimsily constructed sentences and your forays into second-rate maybe-humor like a badly-made chastity belt.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #204
Lie
Socialphobic

I want to meet you in person so you can't hide.

I'll meet you halfway.

Say DETROIT.

I don't know if there's a "science centre" there, though.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #205
Lie
Socialphobic

You got me all hot and bothered and that was it. THAT WAS IT.

It's not going to go any deeper, I can tell it's not.

And the most shameful part is that I let you, encouraged you even.

For what?

Aren't I good enough? Don't I look nice in this dress?

You're willing to molest strangers and put your hands all over them until they run screaming, but when push comes to shove, you can't even get it up.

It was all fun and games until now.

Now you're going to pay.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #206
Lie
Socialphobic

Here's a picture of you at the Science Centre, dazzled by the lure of rational human thought:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/cs...centre_015.jpg

How do I know these things? It's all part of God's plan, that's how.

For the record if it was a question between feeling safe with you and feeling safe with a religious person, I would take my chances with a random religious person. I think, on a desert island, we would have a better chance of survival.

You would probably also be safer with a random religious person than with me. I mean, come on.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #207
Lie
Socialphobic

I think you've hypnotized me to be just like you. I'm acting like a total spaz and my jokes have that ambiguous, elusive ring to them.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #208
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie
- That a person who is religious is necessarily more closed-minded as a result of their being religious and that if they were not religious they would be more open to the possibilities of rational thought. (I don't think religion and/or faith and rationality are mutually exclusive at all. In human terms, neither one is more REAL or legitimate than the other unless you're talking about literal interpretations of dogmatic scripture.)
What a load of shit. C'mon, rationalists and whatever you call people who trust faith are nowhere near on equal footing. Stop straddling the middle line. It's so fucking boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie
I'm still being nice in my own way. You'll just have to have to take that on faith.
^And after that bit of cheese I am making a vow to stop reading any of your posts in this thread from here on (and I've read the whole thread. Most unrewarding messageboard reading in recent memory).

Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #209
Mayfuck
Banned

And please explain the squirrels, sleeper. I lost it after that. I was with you up until then. I have never wanted to high five someone and then punch them in the face as much as when I read your change of heart.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #210
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
What a load of shit. C'mon, rationalists and whatever you call people who trust faith are nowhere near on equal footing.
Where are these "rationalists" and these "people who trust faith"? Who are they? Where do they live? How do they dress?

Make sure you use rationality and logic when answering me.