Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #91
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Like i'm convinced they would have faded into obscurity had it not been for suddenly wearing eye liner and dying their hair black. This is the move that saved their career. Nobody would have cared about American Idiot otherwise.
Yeah, you have a point. I've read that a lot of the record executives figured that the writing was on the wall as far as Green Days popularity was concerned after the Warning album kind of flopped.

Their image was definitely an important factor for their resurgence during American Idiot, but most importantly: they had the music to back it up.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #92
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Trots lets start a band called Your Anonymous As Judges.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #93
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I'm a grown man. This romanticized idea of "punk" being a cool life style is ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #94
fuzzyroes
Banned

Johnny Rottens so "punk" with his huge wealth, his big mansion and his lavish lifestyle.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #95
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

That's it fuzzy you can't be in our band.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #96
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

People shit on American Idiot like Green Day was exploiting popular opinion in the W. Bush era, but I distinctly remember that no one was saying the kind of shit they did at the time the album came out. It's only post mortem with foggy hindsight that we can say "fuck Bush" and all that was cliche.

Sure they weren't as popular as ever, but they'd had "Good Riddance" and "Minority" on the last two albums. Those were pretty freaking big hits.

I have no personal connection to the band other than liking their music, but I feel the need to defend their "image" crisis. When Corgan fails to effectively market his music everyone here jumps all over it. What Green Day did was smart. They tapped into their influences, into a different side of them that no one had heard coming from Green Day music before. And part of that influence was the image and political culture of punk music in the 70's. You'd figure no one had ever heard of a guy named Joe Strummer?

Homage, ripoff, whatever you want to call it, it was a smart thing to do and it worked. It didn't feel forced to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #97
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I used to love Green Day, but nowadays the only two albums I can really listen to are 'Dookie' and 'American Idiot', and they happen to be their best sellers. When I was a teenager 'Insomniac' was my favourite, and I rated Nimrod. 'Kerplunk!' had '2,000 Light Years Away,' a song that will always mean a lot to me. I liked the 'Stop, Drop, Roll' album they put out under the 'Foxboro Hot Tubs' moniker. Will have to give that another listen, I think.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #98
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm a grown man. This romanticized idea of "punk" being a cool life style is ridiculous.
do you repeat the line "I'm a grown man" to convince yourself?
just asking, I'm curious why you do it, you seem desperate that people perceive you as "a man."

you want to tell "the kids" what music is worth listening to - although there are only a few posters on here who are a few years younger than you and already have a broad taste in music, while you are 28 going on 12, call your band monkey piss and a halfassed joke picture "a promotion picture for my band", make a living by gambling and want other adults to do the same, post about NOFX, green day or whatever else "grown men" hardly care for, all that on a messageboard whenever you are completely drunk or stoned.

don't get me wrong, obviously I do it, too, but what's up with this grown man talk? have some guys (or girls) repeatedly made fun of you that you are an immature teenager at heart or something?

and for you laughing at punk - I respect a bunch of folks in their late 40ies and 50ies as "grown men" - because they are, and they still live the "punk lifestyle", for better or worse, because that's who they are. who are you to decide what concept of living is ridiculous? how is the wallstreet banker lifestlye of a 40 year old any less ridiculous? or your own lifestyle?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #99
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

and can I just add that punk is far from over and done with - just look at Asia.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-817185.html
http://thenewwave.asia/

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...-punks-007.jpg

fuzzy probably prefers youtube clips over reading - found one:
"the first punk band I heard were the Sex Pistols, Anarchy in the UK. I found a DVD on a street market"

Last edited by pavementtune : 12-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #100
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

So Rotten can't tell the difference between your and you're either? Disappointing.........or very punk. Can't decide.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #101
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
. And part of that influence was the image and political culture of punk music in the 70's. You'd figure no one had ever heard of a guy named Joe Strummer?

Billy joe's lyrics were far from Strummer's quality wise that's for sure.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #102
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
and can I just add that punk is far from over and done with - just look at Asia.

"the first punk band I heard were the Sex Pistols, Anarchy in the UK. I found a DVD on a street market"

Everything that's over ends up in Asia it's culture's last stop

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #103
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
So Rotten can't tell the difference between your and you're either? Disappointing.........or very punk. Can't decide.
Since we're is spelt were I'm assuming it was on purpose

Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #104
Elphenor
Braindead

But I for sure agree with the "Punk is not a haircut" thing. Punk lives on forever, but the Mohawk and safety pins style punk died and good riddance

Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #105
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Everything that's over ends up in Asia it's culture's last stop
um, remind me what are you studying again - political science or something? good luck.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #106
Elphenor
Braindead

I'm not being serious. Referring to Asia as one place is a joke to begin with

Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #107
Shallowed
Braindead

The Sex Pistols were lucky that their country's censorship laws weren't so tight that it would make their lifestyle a matter of life and death.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #108
Elphenor
Braindead

That is seriously Punk that they rock on even knowing that they could face imprisonment and even death for it

Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #109
slunken
Virgo

I WAS A YOUNG MAN I HAD BIG PLANS NOW I'M JUST ANOTHER SHITTY OLD MAN THE WORLD OWES ME SO FUCK YOU

Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #110
slunken
Virgo

http://au.gogomix.com/wp-content/upl...48-635x360.jpg

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #111
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

copying fads from 35+ years ago is not punk

Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #112
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i just figure it's being against the status quo, sometimes just for the sake of being against the status quo. but you can dismiss it if you like. you glorify grunge culture to the point of being a walking parody of it

by the way if you're a grown man you certainly don't act like it. you're a grown teenager maybe

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 12-18-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #113
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Johnny Rottens so "punk" with his huge wealth, his big mansion and his lavish lifestyle.
by the way you gonna back this up ? i mean do you know if he has a big mansion ? a "lavish" lifestyle, which is what most of your heroes live

honestly being rich and still being disruptive to the status quo is still punk. we aren't talking about marxism here

Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #114
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i don't have fun and i hate everything

the world owes me so fuck you!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #115
ilikeplanets
Braindead

insomniac rocks though

Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #116
Elphenor
Braindead

Punk is when the people that don't fit into traditional society get together to make fun of how dumb it is

Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #117
Trotskilicious
Banned

i take it back tho, copying 35 y.o. fads is punk if you could go to prison for it

Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #118
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Punk is when the people that don't fit into traditional society get together to make fun of how dumb it is
i thought this was hipster?? gosh i'll never get it right

Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #119
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't feel like hipsters are even a thing

Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #120
Elphenor
Braindead

I feel like the fashion is very descendent of the thrift store aesthetic though without the sex shop and safety pin thing of punk. So like, post-punk fashion.

But I don't really understand why facial hair is back in style. Though I did see someone with one of those big ironic curly mustaches and I just thought it was pretty Punk to go around like that.