Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2024, 12:59 PM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Could have been well received had the ten best songs been chosen and released. Nobody needed this excess, but he always zigs when he should’ve zagged. It’s the family business.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:30 PM   #32
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
remember when he said ATUM is the third part on "the MCIS and Machina trilogy" or whatever? :clown:
Yeah, unfortunately I read that, wished I was ignorant that this was a thing tbh

Old 05-20-2024, 05:30 PM   #33
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
remember when he said ATUM is the third part on "the MCIS and Machina trilogy" or whatever? :clown:
Marketing hype. Load of bollocks.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:38 PM   #34
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Marketing hype. Load of bollocks.
Yup, he realized that nobody wants to listen to his new albums so he made up some bullshit about this being some sort of sequel.

Old 05-20-2024, 06:41 PM   #35
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Next album is the sequel to Siamese Dream. The main character Spaceboy starts in conflict with Luna, but they end up falling in love. Chaos ensues as the Hummers try and corrupt the world for their profits.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #36
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Fuckin' thing sucks.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:27 AM   #37
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
Next album is the sequel to Siamese Dream. The main character Spaceboy starts in conflict with Luna, but they end up falling in love. Chaos ensues as the Hummers try and corrupt the world for their profits.
Horribly plausible.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #38
phang
Ownz

I kinda see ATUM as the lingering idea of Teargarden once passed. He still had this itch to scratch.

At the time he talked about not releasing albums anymore, instead doing stand alone songs for free and putting them out once they were "completed", eventually becoming an album of sorts. Then when no one cared, he abandoned it, and as we know released "album within an album" Oceania. (And Monuments at a stretch, if you believe that)

In a way, he kept to that ethos but updated the idea to the modern era, by trying to capitalise on the podcast revolution and still "releasing" the ATUM tracks as free stand alone songs, and once an album's worth was out, releasing it.

Of course marketing it as "the trilogy with MCIS/Machina", even if it was false, was probably a better plan than saying "it's sort of like that Teargarden by Kaleidyscope idea I had once".

Old 05-22-2024, 04:39 AM   #39
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

That whole "sequel" thing has been completely ignored and bypassed at this stage. Nobody is talking about it, no one refers to it, there's no connection at all in anyone's mind relating to those albums.

They won't be playing any of the songs from it on this tour I'd imagine. Or Cyr for that matter.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:35 AM   #40
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I think they’ll roll out Beguiled and Spellbinding.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:58 AM   #41
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Atum flopped, basta.
Atum is a stinky fart in comparison with machina, adore or anything before

Old 05-22-2024, 01:16 PM   #42
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
That whole "sequel" thing has been completely ignored and bypassed at this stage. Nobody is talking about it, no one refers to it, there's no connection at all in anyone's mind relating to those albums.

They won't be playing any of the songs from it on this tour I'd imagine. Or Cyr for that matter.
When's the last time Billy referred to Atum as a linked work with MCIS and Machina? I don't follow his pronouncements too closely, so I've not heard anything since I scoffed when he sprung the "news" on that connection.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:27 PM   #43
T&T
Socialphobic

sequel in the ambitious & multi disk. but that's about it
I figured he really just likes being ambitious. I'm glad he can handle the failure and keep putting out content. Being on "top of the world" is partly due to luck. maybe he'll hit a streak once again. can't win if you don't try...

Old 05-22-2024, 05:42 PM   #44
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Tried again to listen to this thing. Dont know why. Guess because it would be the only SP material that i have not at least initially eagerly eargobbled quick as my ears could gobble. It’s been over a year or something, still can’t do it. It’s just too much. This time i got like six songs into the first one. Had to stop. Just had enough! Life’s too short

Old 05-22-2024, 05:54 PM   #45
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
I think theyíll roll out Beguiled and Spellbinding.
Dear God no. Billy, The Good in Goodbye and Space Age are the right choice.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:58 PM   #46
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Tried again to listen to this thing. Dont know why. Guess because it would be the only SP material that i have not at least initially eagerly eargobbled quick as my ears could gobble. Itís been over a year or something, still canít do it. Itís just too much. This time i got like six songs into the first one. Had to stop. Just had enough! Lifeís too short
I can handle Disc 1 and maybe 2, but I wouldn't say it's fulfilling or anything like that.
What's baffling is that I think the musical ideas are mostly quite good - it's the production and lyrics (which I mostly don't understand at all - this is what having aphasia must feel like) that seriously drag the album down.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:04 PM   #47
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Tried again to listen to this thing. Dont know why. Guess because it would be the only SP material that i have not at least initially eagerly eargobbled quick as my ears could gobble. Itís been over a year or something, still canít do it. Itís just too much. This time i got like six songs into the first one. Had to stop. Just had enough! Lifeís too short
I hear ya. I've listened to it exactly once and only whilst I was working and after it had been out for maybe 2 months. Did not enjoy it at all. I'll probably try it again at some stage but I have zero inclination to do so.

Saying that, been the same for a while. I was stoked for Zeitgeist, which was (obviously) a big disappointment. Then we had the slow strung-out torture that was Teargarden (ugh) and I still (somehow) hung in there. I enjoyed hearing the Oceania songs played live, though the album itself was meh.

Then what did we get? Oh yeah, Monuments, which was barely an SP album at all. Shiny was...yeah, mediocre. Think we got the Billy solo album after that? Not my thing at all. By the time Cyr floated along expectations were beat down so low that it took weeks before I bothered it with. It was pretty bad ngl. After Cyr the idea of listening to a huge new album? Well, that was not going to happen.