Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Default Rivers Cuomo: Weezer is 'done'

Frontman leaves door open, but doesn't sound upbeat on uniting

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done."

Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They *******d a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
shannon
Minion of Satan

im sure they will be back together eventually...probably not for a while, but, i bet at some point

Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
neopryn
let's see your penis!

i think they've been "done" for a while now

Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
aomb1979
Ownz

so basically he's just going to sit on his ass all day.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
CYCLE_23
Demi-God

Taking from wikipedia

The Future

The image of the "Wonder Twins" that appeared on Rivers Cuomo's mySpace page leading to some fans to speculate that the long-awaited "Superfriend" was going to be releasedRivers Cuomo has stated on his myspace blog that he is unable to release any of his demos (including Black Hole songs) because of his contractual obligations to Geffen Records. Geffen has the exclusive right to release his music:

"...Someday that may change but it won’t be anytime soon...Until I can figure out a way to compensate Geffen records (and in the case of covers songs, the songwriters) I can’t give away my recordings."

In his blog, Rivers also talked about playing his demos to Jordan Schur, the president of Weezer's label, Geffen Records:

"...when we were starting to work on Make Believe in 2003, I sat down with Jordan and played him hours of my old demos, going all the way back to the beginnings of Weezer. He didn’t think any of them were album-worthy. Neither did I. The one song he thought was good was “Blast Off” but it “needs a new chorus.” I agreed."

But Rivers did leave fans with some hope that the songs could eventually be heard:

"Thanks to all who have expressed their interest in my unreleased recordings. I hope that everything of quality is eventually made available."

In a recent interview, commenting on speculation that Make Believe would be Weezer's last album, Pat Wilson (the band's drummer) stated that he would be interested in releasing a compilation of "lost" Weezer tracks. This fueled rumours that the band would release previously unheard Black Hole songs or a completely re-worked version of the "Songs from the Black Hole" concept album in the near future.

Rivers' photo on his MySpace page on December 25th, 2005 was an image of the Wonder Twins, "sidekicks to the Super Friends in the Hanna-Barbera animated television series of the same name". Some fans believed that this was a sign that the 2005 holiday treat would be a high quality mp3 of "Superfriend" but this was later proved to be false.

On April 30, 2006, Rivers released this statement in his blog, and in the process confirmed that the home recordings of the Black Hole songs will be released sometime in the future:

"Thanks for your interest in these songs! I'm putting up the lyrics now because I suddenly realized that I can. I'll also put up the sheet music (when I have time) so that you can play them for each other! I'll release my home demos as soon as I am legally able."

Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Egadsman
Apocalyptic Poster

I blame those half japanese girls.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

One less shitty band. Next up, Tool?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

good. i think you're partially entitled to whine a bit and be a total prick if you're actively releasing good music, but he hasn't done that in ages, so i say it's way past due that you bow out, you self-loathing, yellow-fever having little weenie

Old 07-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
transluscent
Apocalyptic Poster

oh no. we wont get to hear the next Beverly Hills.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

it's amazing how bad that band got by their last three albums. while all of them had their bright spots, in general they sucked. I saw them live last year, though, and they blew me away. I went to the concert really pessimistically but they put on an awesome show. rivers was in a good mood or something, or so the diehards said.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Cruiser
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
i think they've been "done" for a while now
like since pinkerton?

I hope one day Rivers ditches all the bullshit, loosens up those guitars, and rocks some good ol' fashioned weezer type shit.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
CYCLE_23
Demi-God

Not to make another thread but any fans of the Rentals? I'm going to see them here in Bakersfield on the 21st.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Junebug
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
Frontman leaves door open, but doesn't sound upbeat on uniting
"...and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."
if only billy had thought the same. I'd rather have weezer quit than put out another dissapointing album.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

That makes me sad - but not because they've been doing good stuff lately, but moreso just because their 1st two albums are a huge part of my teenage years. Those albums really have been the "soundtrack" to some really freaking fun times. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of folks here.

They're just a good band at the heart of the matter... but their last album was definately one of those "man, you guys had better impress me with the next one, or I'm done" moments.

Maybe it's good. Give them a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again a while down the road.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #15
Cruiser
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_23
Not to make another thread but any fans of the Rentals? I'm going to see them here in Bakersfield on the 21st.

Damn, I'd love to see them. Although I only know their first album... but Return of the Rentals is BRILLIANT

Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #16
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Man it is lame when 90s bands break up and then try to reform to "recapture the magic." I bet Rivers will announce the return of Weezer in a few years the same day he releases a CD of bluegrass music that nobody will listen to. I've seen it a million times.

....... Oh yeah, shit.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #17
Anlwrm
Pledge

Pink Triangle and My Name is Jonas rule.... Everything after Pinkerton is poop.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #18
wally
cibohplaicos

pinkerton is a top 5 album for me. its a shame that good talent went to waste.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #19
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

my name is jonas and in the garage can still floor me, those are timeless

Old 07-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
CYCLE_23
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser
Damn, I'd love to see them. Although I only know their first album... but Return of the Rentals is BRILLIANT

Their 2nd album seven more minutes, isnt as good (as a whole) but there are some great songs on there like "Say goodbye forever", "Barcelona" and my favorite off the album "The man with two brains".

Old 07-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by transluscent
oh no. we wont get to hear the next Beverly Hills.
just play "i love rock and roll" and "the joker" at the same time on two different stereos aimed at your head, and you'll be okay.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #22
Cruiser
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott Graceland
just play "i love rock and roll" and "the joker" at the same time on two different stereos aimed at your head, and you'll be okay.
Speaking of shitty songs made of other songs, how about that horrible green day song where they stole the music/melody for the verse from a motley crue song and the chorus from a bryan adams song... WOW is that bad.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #23
East Rocket
Ownz

They are nothing without Matt Sharp! NOTHING!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #24
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
Kyoko Ito.
whoa, he's living his dream

Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Effloresce
Banned

Weezer has sucked since Pinkerton, good riddance

Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #26
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

moreso lately you hear a resurgence of their sound in other bands... some songs from Islands and Figurines most recent releases definitely ahve some similarities to classic =W=

Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #27
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

they shouldnt have come back

Old 07-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #28
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I suppose it's better that I don't know any of their stuff after Pinkerton then, but this band fucking blew me away live last year.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #29
billex doux
Demi-God

weezer have been on break approximately 3 times i'd say

Old 07-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #30
Eulogy
huh

I remember liking Maladroit. But I don't know where it is and I don't remember any of the songs.