Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #121
fuzzyroes
Banned

I like how they didn't just call it Nintendo or Super Nintendo. They just had to throw in the Entertainment System in there too to explain what it was.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #122
fuzzyroes
Banned

Do you guys remember in the mid 90's when Panasonic was pushing super hard with their gaming system?

Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #123
fuzzyroes
Banned

The 3DO

Hey, it seems crazy in hindsight, but fuck, Sony managed to make it work so It wasn't that far fetched of a proposition

Old 10-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #124
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
my first memories of gaming are on the N64 idk how much of it is nostalgia but whenever I see one I get giddy

used to play Mario Party and Smash 64

then it was the Gamecube which had an incredibly underrated Bond game on it, Agent Under Fire, multiplayer was on par with Goldeneye I mean that

there's ofc the cult classic Smash Bros Melee

Mario Sunshine was underrated imo it's actually pretty awesome

Wind Waker

I already mentioned Metroid Prime

Luigi's Mansion is a favorite of mine
yeah Agent Under Fire was good although I had forgotten it 'til now. I also like Luigi's Mansion. Pikmin was pretty different and sometimes it could be fun although other times it could be infuriating. I wanted to hate Wind Waker because of the cel-shading but actually the gameplay was awesome, definitely one of the best Zelda games. Twilight Princess was the opposite for me... good graphics but gameplay was underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Is there even such a thing as a top-loading dryer?
yeah maybe not

Old 10-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #125
fuzzyroes
Banned

TIME magazine called it the "product of the year"

Old 10-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #126
Elphenor
Braindead

I had a blast with Twilight Princess actually, it felt like Ocarina but really bloated, "this is never gonna end" long

the wolf parts were all a chore

it had a lot of quality content though

Old 10-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #127
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

when I got teh gamecubes I was very excited. the cd was tiny and the system has all these removable panels on bottom for internet and shit like wtf is all this very exciting

but then nintendo never utilized any of that. after a few weeks i realize that even the graphics all though better are just playing catch up with playstation. gamecube didnt do anything too special or revolutionary it did have a few games I liked though

but over all this was the beginning of nintendo's downfall now they have rebuilt themself as a differentkind of game company but they lost the traditional console wars

Old 10-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #128
Elphenor
Braindead

they are only good for the exclusives I have been wanting forever for them to ditch consoles all together and just focus on Mario and Zelda games which they could sell to Xbox and Playstation

but Nintendo knows what it's doing profit wise it understands marketing towards kids

Old 10-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #129
redbreegull

yeah Nintendo kind of stumbled in the Gamecube years and then rebounded as a different thing... Wii is some bullshit to me, no offense to anyone who likes Wii but the whole thing was just a stupid novelty to sell stupid novelty games. Every time I played the Wii, I felt like it was some kind of karmic retribution for laughing my ass off at my dad playing me in Waverace64, madly turning his whole body sideways in a desperate and sad inability to use the controller correctly.

Nintendo's reputation was already that they were more kid-friendly, but the mass success of shit like Wii Sports totally made me feel like Nintendo was not for me anymore. In a weird way, the crazy sandbox games of today are more the spiritual inheritors of the work Nintendo did pioneering large, open world platformers than anything they are doing now.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #130
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I like how they didn't just call it Nintendo or Super Nintendo. They just had to throw in the Entertainment System in there too to explain what it was.
that's because the Nintendo company is over a century old, it was making games long before the NES.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #131
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I had a blast with Twilight Princess actually, it felt like Ocarina but really bloated, "this is never gonna end" long
Could just be that time has distorted my memory, but Ocarina felt like it was a more expansive game despite having a physically smaller map. But i really loved Ocarina. I liked MM as well, but Ocarina really blew my mind.

The physical controls of Twilight Princess bothered me. I agree the Wolf parts sucked, but also just the movement of Link felt stuffier and more boxed in. Wind Waker had this awesome 360 camera feature and it seemed Link moved in a very nuanced, accurate way. Twilight Princess took the controls back to how they were on the N64, making movement less precise and the camera more constrained.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #132
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

u mean oceania bro? dat record changed my life, i still cri wheni listen 2 it

mike burns is amazing

Old 10-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #133
redbreegull

Oceania of Cry Every Time

Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #134
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Could just be that time has distorted my memory, but Ocarina felt like it was a more expansive game despite having a physically smaller map. But i really loved Ocarina. I liked MM as well, but Ocarina really blew my mind.

The physical controls of Twilight Princess bothered me. I agree the Wolf parts sucked, but also just the movement of Link felt stuffier and more boxed in. Wind Waker had this awesome 360 camera feature and it seemed Link moved in a very nuanced, accurate way. Twilight Princess took the controls back to how they were on the N64, making movement less precise and the camera more constrained.
objectively Twilight Princess has a longer run time from start to finish with a few more dungeons and more time spent running from one end of the map to the other

but Ocarina obviously does a lot more with the content it does have and that's why it feels bigger

the map is small but there's so much hidden within it and then you add the time travel element

Old 10-09-2016, 01:16 AM   #135
Ed_Breegull
Pledge

It's hard for me to understand enjoying 2-dimensional games more than their next-gen cousins because they seem objectively less developed. Perhaps this is the result of low intelligence, poor pedigree, or fetal alcohol syndrome.

On the other hand the subjectivity of personal preference demonstrates the general meaninglessness of any comparisons in any areas of life not quantifiable with hard figures. There is literally nothing arguably superior about Playstation 3 to Super Nintendo.

Now please everyone move along and don't cut in line; your turns in the euthanasia chamber will be up soon.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #136
redbreegull

Old 10-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #137
buzzard
Minion of Satan

A childhood friend would fly into a rage when we'd play Killer Instinct on SNES and I'd consistently win by spamming that one move with Cinder.

Console resets and walkouts aplenty.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #138
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
TIME magazine called it the "product of the year"
The top-loading dryer?

Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #139
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It was all just kinda somber and sterile
Water level musics good

Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #140
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anyone play the fan translation for Mother 3 (Japan only sequel to earthbound?) Just started and already has depicted probably the most heart wrenching / realistic reaction by a loved one to a character's death that I've ever seen in a video game, 2D or 3D

Old 10-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #141
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Some of my favorite video games ever are 2D and I don't think they necessarily feel too dated nowadays.
Actually, in my opinion, older 3D games (resident evil, metal gear solid) are really hard to go back to now, much more so than stuff like Super Mario World or A Link to the Past

Old 10-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #142
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Agreed. With few exceptions (ocarina definitely) the early polygonal stuff seems kinda soulless as if we were supposed to just b like "ooooh 3D" and forgive everything else

For me right now it's all about SNES and PS3

Old 10-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #143
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Pikmin was pretty different and sometimes it could be fun although other times it could be infuriating.

yeah maybe not
lately I have been getting a little high and playing Pikmin 2, the one with Wii control so it's less infuriating bc you can point where you want to throw Pik Men

Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #144
redbreegull

I always found it rewarding to grow em and then use them to bring down obstacles and stuff... but I hated later in the game when every time you had to fight a monster you knew you were gonna have like a 75% casualty rate

also they would get stuck behind shit and get left behind. IIRC there was no option to recall them all to your ship, you had to manually select them anytime you wanted to move them. I was neurotic about leaving them behind to die so even if 1 or 2 were missing, I would have to go fuckin search the whole world to find where they got left

Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #145
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

yea that is very distressing... I have taken to resetting when too many get dead

Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #146
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I always found it rewarding to grow em and then use them to bring down obstacles and stuff... but I hated later in the game when every time you had to fight a monster you knew you were gonna have like a 75% casualty rate

also they would get stuck behind shit and get left behind. IIRC there was no option to recall them all to your ship, you had to manually select them anytime you wanted to move them. I was neurotic about leaving them behind to die so even if 1 or 2 were missing, I would have to go fuckin search the whole world to find where they got left
Yeah I tried to play this game so many times because I loved it conceptually but always found myself so frustrated and not really having fun

Old 10-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #147
redbreegull

my first games for GC were Pikmin, Waverace, Luigi's Mansion, and Rogue Squadron. I remember playing Rogue Squadron and just being like at the graphics and the dog fights and stuff. Funny how now it doesn't look too different from the N64 Rogue Squadron

Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #148
Elphenor
Braindead

I remember Rogue Squadron being particularly difficult

Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #149
Elphenor
Braindead

in modern video game news C9 makes it into the worlds playoffs my fav American team

they only lost to the multi world champs SK Telecom

Their mid laner "faker", widely accepted as the greatest player of all time, is a big celebrity in South Korea comparable to a pro QB here and after a slump he's so on point right now I'm scared for the US teams

Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #150
Elphenor
Braindead

I just think it's so cool video games are something ESPN writes about now