Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #5671
run2pee
Minion of Satan
 
run2pee's Avatar
 
Location: SMART meetings from back bedroom at grandmas
Posts: 7,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I wish alternatives were more widely available to people.
Smart is available online for free with meetings almost all day long. It is not 12 steps, and nobody is going to tell you the program is infallible or the ultimate, in fact the program itself says if it doesnít work for fucks sake go find something that does

Sadly smart does not get near as much press as the 12 step bullshit

 
run2pee is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #5672
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
yo soy el mejor's Avatar
 
Location: all over the Internet
Posts: 43,932
Default

nothing gets as much press as AA because AA was invented by religious white men alcoholics in the 1930s.

of course that program would 100% not meet the needs of women and people who aren't white and religious.

 
yo soy el mejor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #5673
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 22,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
nothing gets as much press as AA because AA was invented by religious white men alcoholics in the 1930s.

of course that program would 100% not meet the needs of women and people who aren't white and religious.
Real Truth

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #5674
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,539
Default

AA is annoying because it's a religious white person program but what's super annoying is it pretends not to be to get all kinds of people into the cult

oh and also that it doesn't work, that's pretty annoying. same success rate as spontaneous remission.

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:46 AM   #5675
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
yooo look at this shit i found


Just to provide some context

That word means "high" more as in "your highness". Not like "Bro that dude is more fucked up than 93 Jimbo going blind on coke in Atlanta after being fired from SP"

On the other hand, the same word also reads the same as Rum, so perhaps you are onto something here.

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #5676
Ram27
dumb
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: stupid babies need the most attention
Posts: 9,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2pee View Post
Smart is available online for free with meetings almost all day long. It is not 12 steps, and nobody is going to tell you the program is infallible or the ultimate, in fact the program itself says if it doesnít work for fucks sake go find something that does

Sadly smart does not get near as much press as the 12 step bullshit
my issue with smart was that the meetings were really sparsely attended. AA is so old and well known such that there's always meetings happening, which is nice if you're feeling bad and need some sort of connection. smart itself is much more practical and less creepy religion shame confess your secrets to a stranger which is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
AA is annoying because it's a religious white person program but what's super annoying is it pretends not to be to get all kinds of people into the cult

oh and also that it doesn't work, that's pretty annoying. same success rate as spontaneous remission.
it takes a really specific type of old white god fearing boomer for it to work. and if you get brain poisoned enough by them you're an evangelist for them. it's fucked

naltrexone is a miracle drug. at 80something days and it's never been easier now that i'm taking it consistently and trying to intentionally put to bed the romanticism of drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Just to provide some context

That word means "high" more as in "your highness". Not like "Bro that dude is more fucked up than 93 Jimbo going blind on coke in Atlanta after being fired from SP"

On the other hand, the same word also reads the same as Rum, so perhaps you are onto something here.
life is a bummer

when you are rummer

yeah as i understand it's basically hindu zeus

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #5677
run2pee
Minion of Satan
 
run2pee's Avatar
 
Location: SMART meetings from back bedroom at grandmas
Posts: 7,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
my issue with smart was that the meetings were really sparsely attended. AA is so old and well known such that there's always meetings happening, which is nice if you're feeling bad and need some sort of connection. smart itself is much more practical and less creepy religion shame confess your secrets to a stranger which is great
Yeah, there isnít even a smart meeting in my city where i now find myself. Online meetings are packed though. My favorite is the Mike Massey on Monday and Friday mornings, often as many as 200 people in there, but still room to do your share if u get your zoom hand raised quick after the intro

Tbone Don on thurs is great. Rob62 has a really gentle approach i appreciate, heís always reminding me to stop being such violent toward myself in my vocabulary

Anyway im glad the drugs working for you on the drinking. Thank f. Sometimes i think alcohol use disorder is one of the greatest addictive curses one can suffer, in terms of the sheer societal pressure in favor of continuing to use. Maybe sex addiction with the porn two clicks away now.

Anyway i feel u, the alcohol is some mean drugs

 
run2pee is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #5678
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Posts: 32,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
naltrexone is a miracle drug. at 80something days and it's never been easier now that i'm taking it consistently and trying to intentionally put to bed the romanticism of drinking
it really is a miracle drug. I've been on it for like a year now and any time I even think of taking an opiate I'm like oh yeah it wouldn't work anyway. It would be really hard for me to not only take opiates now but plan for 2-3 days to not take the medication first. Way too much guilt about not talking to my therapist that entire time while planning to use. It's just not going to happen. It also blocks all the nasties while still letting you get stoned, which is nice. I haven't been partaking regularly or anything, but a couple of times and it's legal in the state I'm moving to. So if I really want to be altered in some way there is at least a way to do that.

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #5679
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "Okay, white power feminist" - yo soy el mejor
Posts: 22,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
AA is annoying because it's a religious white person program but what's super annoying is it pretends not to be to get all kinds of people into the cult

oh and also that it doesn't work, that's pretty annoying. same success rate as spontaneous remission.
If you follow the steps you can stop... cause you're full of original sin...er I mean you're an addict...you failed!! You'll always fail!


What I hate is trying to force mental "disorders" into 12 steps... or behaviors that aren't addictions. I have an anxiety disorder that led me to anorexia, which is a disordered behavior. If I had gone to an ED 12 step program for eating disorders I would be dead now.

I also hate how so many disordered behaviors are now called diseases, because AA was so successful at selling the idea of alcoholism as a disease.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #5680
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 14,584
Default

As someone who suffered from both 4 extreme bouts of anorexia over a 14 year span, and a 12 year long multi drug addiction...the mindset and behavioral displays were undeniably similar for me. And I had to make equally drastic changes to conquer both. So I can understand categorizing eating disorders as addictions. However, the anxiety surrounding my eating disorder behavior was much greater than my drug use, but I was completely fucked up almost every day to quell my anxiety so that probably explains it. That being said, I never even considered/needed a 12 step program for help because it reeks of bullshit that is incompatible with the way I think about life.

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Archive 38 04-17-2012 04:25 PM
my very original ask me questions thread dr.benway General Chat Archive 27 08-04-2009 05:26 PM
biggest board loser (with poll) dean_r_koontz General Chat Archive 198 05-07-2008 05:20 PM
I didn't realize people on this board were actually smashing pumpkin fans. I Ate My Hamster General Chat Archive 29 06-12-2007 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2022