Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #181
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

gentlemen we can argue this that and the other way but we all know who the real winner is: AMERICA

Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #182
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

What a game! I was hooting at the TV on the last Maryland INT - saved my college football pickem week. The spread was 3 and if the clock ran out without that happening they would have won by 2 only.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #183
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Lol fuck miami

Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #184
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

I thought Maryland actually looked really good.

Goes to show you how shitty the Miami players on the field were.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #185
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Auburn at Mississippi State next week will be great

OU @ Florida State

Notre Dame and Michigan game could result in mass catholic suicides

Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #186
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

say what you want about miami (i didn't watch it), but at least we'll always have this theme song:

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #187
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
so the answer to this would be yes then
Yes in the technical sense. But you need to change your mentality and stop looking at this like some Hitler youth would look at the Fatherland.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #188
Eulogy
huh

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Yes in the technical sense. But you need to change your mentality and stop looking at this like some Hitler youth would look at the Fatherland.
you realize i have no connection to any school in the SEC aside from a pretty tenuous one to Tennessee, right? i have no reason to be biased toward those teams. i'm not biased toward those teams. a lot of the teams in that conference are consistently better than teams from other conferences. a better talent pool, better coaching, and lower academic standards all contribute to having such a high number of good teams within the conference. you have yet to even respond to anything about how and why the SEC just happens to have the best teams in the country year in and year out. because.... why? what exactly is your problem with using conference affiliation to make generalizations that have proven to be true?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #189
jczeroman

Quote:
you realize i have no connection to any school in the SEC aside from a pretty tenuous one to Tennessee, right? i have no reason to be biased toward those teams. i'm not biased toward those teams. a lot of the teams in that conference are consistently better than teams from other conferences. a better talent pool, better coaching, and lower academic standards all contribute to having such a high number of good teams within the conference. you have yet to even respond to anything about how and why the SEC just happens to have the best teams in the country year in and year out. because.... why? what exactly is your problem with using conference affiliation to make generalizations that have proven to be true?
You miss the point, as usual. I am not addressing bias towards the SEC, I am suggesting that you are looking at "the SEC" as an individual entity to make arguments for which such a perspective is logically impossible.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #190
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I was floored at how badly Miami looked - holy shit they have issues.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #191
Eulogy
huh

Thumbs down

Quote:
You miss the point, as usual. I am not addressing bias towards the SEC, I am suggesting that you are looking at "the SEC" as an individual entity to make arguments for which such a perspective is logically impossible.
It's a collective entity about which certain generalizations can be made. If you really want me to type out the names of the schools I can do that for you. But this is ridiculous. You're so unbelievably stubborn and have yet to address a single thing I've said. But if you want to stomp your feet and call me an idiot instead you can go for it.

The SEC has the best teams in the country though. And it has for the past five years. Which is my only point. Whether that is a coincidence or not isn't even relevant to that point.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #192
jczeroman

Quote:
It's a collective entity about which certain generalizations can be made. If you really want me to type out the names of the schools I can do that for you. But this is ridiculous. You're so unbelievably stubborn and have yet to address a single thing I've said. But if you want to stomp your feet and call me an idiot instead you can go for it.

The SEC has the best teams in the country though. And it has for the past five years. Which is my only point. Whether that is a coincidence or not isn't even relevant to that point.
Yes, certain generalisations can be made, but the ones which I am calling out cannot BY DEFINITION be made.

For example, you can say that SEC teams have won five national championships. You cannot say that the SEC has won five national championships. That is more than a semantics issue. That SEC teams won five national championships says nothing about Tennessee, Auburn in, say, 2007-2009 or Kentucky.

Is anything I am saying making any sense? Because I'm not interested in trying to go on about this forever.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #193
SlingeroGuitaro

Africa has a lot of single mothers because of all the black people.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #194
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Yes, certain generalisations can be made, but the ones which I am calling out cannot BY DEFINITION be made.

For example, you can say that SEC teams have won five national championships. You cannot say that the SEC has won five national championships. That is more than a semantics issue. That SEC teams won five national championships says nothing about Tennessee, Auburn in, say, 2007-2009 or Kentucky.

Is anything I am saying making any sense? Because I'm not interested in trying to go on about this forever.
i said "five straight championships." for you to assume i meant the conference as a singular entity won five straight championships instead of teams from the conference winning five straight championships is just another example of you racing to the bottom in order to mischaracterize what i say in order to make it more susceptible to your absurd rantings about how referring to a conference is always irrational and useless. also, once again, it's a convenient shorthand and there is absolutely no reason for you to freak out about it every time someone uses it.

the SEC has the teams in it with the best and fastest defenses in the country. it has the best teams in the country. that's all i said. and it's been demonstrably true for five years. i still don't have any idea why you get so befuddled by this.

conference affiliation matters in the SEC because the teams draw from the same or similar talent pools, have considerable national coverage that entices recruits with NFL aspirations, coaching jobs sometimes have comparable levels of prestige, and uniformly low academic standards for football players (excepting vanderbilt) have contributed to the consistent quality in several of the teams throughout recent years.

if you could actually be specific about what i've actually said that you find so objectionable, you might begin to make some sense.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #195
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Ugh Penn state's offense is pathetic.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #196
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Seriously the joepa era is over

Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #197
TuralyonW3
Immortal

3 years ago

Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #198
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Also the gamecocks fake punt td before halftime was awesome jizzing in GAs face

Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #199
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Man va tech ecu, purdue rice, cu cal, nc state wake forest and cal cu are all coming down to close finishes simultaneously (sports packages are awesome)

Last edited by TuralyonW3 : 09-10-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #200
TuralyonW3
Immortal

GO RICE!! 1st conference USA win over the big 10 since 2004

Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #201
SlingeroGuitaro

The crowd at DKR is louder than they were for Ohio state in 2006. Malcolm brown+David ash=goodies.

Garrett Gilbert WTF. 2 picks first quarter. One of them was tipped... But this second one...

Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #202
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Ash needs to be the QB

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #203
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I fucking hate Garrett Gilbert.

And i wasn't too awed by Alabama. They beat a Penn State team that'll be lucky to win 7 games but any better team would've given them fits. Alabama dominated for sure but PSU basically gave them a few touchdowns.

This SC-Georgia game is good stuff. I hope SC can hold on to win.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #204
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Yeah go gamecocks. Epic game.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #205
TuralyonW3
Immortal

WOOHOO! Peace out mark richt

Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #206
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Do they let him finish the year or us he gone tomorrow you think?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #207
TuralyonW3
Immortal

80/20 finish the year (Boise and SC are awesome) but won't be shocked at all if it goes the other way

Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #208
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I feel bad for JoePa. He's sure to get the Bobby Bowden treatment soon.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #209
SlingeroGuitaro

Texas is going to lose to the fightin' montes...

Stadium is clearing out already

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #210
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
I feel bad for JoePa. He's sure to get the Bobby Bowden treatment soon.
He's gotten it for more than a decade now, and he doesn't give a damn.