Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default New song Jan 24 - Beguiled

if we didn't already hear this, i think i might've been somewhat pleasantly surprised. there's less synth, i guess

so fucking obnoxious to have like 3 songs that are proper guitar songs and release 1 as the lead single

Old 01-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #2
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Moss, Good In Goodbye and even Empahs are much better than Beguiled. I don't like this song.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
T&T
Socialphobic

whens the Empires video coming out?
is ATUM promotion abandoned?

Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
lionheart0
Demi-God

I like this song quite a bit.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I hope it has guitars, real drums, no synths and no katie vocals.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #6
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

'Beguiled' personel:

James Iha: vocals, guitar, bass
D'Arcy Wretzky: vocals
Kerry Brown: drums, percussion

Old 01-23-2023, 07:46 PM   #7
phang
Ownz

A few months on and yeah I don't have much issue with Beguiled. It's butt chuggin', it doesn't go anywhere, it's uninspired... huh wait I guess I do have issues with it.

But that said, it's at least a foot tapper, it has a hook, it's not quite clown fuck ass music and I wouldn't be completely embarassed if someone heard it on the radio and said "hey, I heard that new song from that band you like..."

I'm happy enough, I dig it. It's one of the songs from this album/era that gets a pass. Just.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #8
ilikeplanets
Braindead

RETURN THE FAITH

Old 01-23-2023, 11:23 PM   #9
Modern90's
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Moss, Good In Goodbye and even Empahs are much better than Beguiled. I don't like this song.
The meow mix theme really ruined anything good going on for moss

Old 01-23-2023, 11:59 PM   #10
Ram27
dumb

wait do you think he's gonna skip beguiled? maybe we'll get whatever the next one is. probably more synth

Old 01-24-2023, 12:00 AM   #11
Ram27
dumb

also i'm listening to 'synth music' [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKfPfyJRdk] rn and it's amazing how good it is when it's not corgan involved

Old 01-24-2023, 12:18 AM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern90's View Post
The meow mix theme really ruined anything good going on for moss
Oof that's true. I don't like any of them much, and remembered liking the guitar in Moss but haven't listened to it since so I forgot about those terrible meows. They were meant to be taken with "a wink and a nod."

Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 AM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Does anybody have a running tally of how many times Corgan has said "a wink and a nod" during this podcast? It's at least 7. To me, that means he's framing it that if you find the music crappy, we'll that's because it's one level too deep for you, and you just don't understand the layers of irony. Gross.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 AM   #14
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

sucks

Old 01-24-2023, 04:25 AM   #15
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

[

Old 01-24-2023, 05:50 AM   #16
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Have stuck Machina 2 on instead of listening to that. It's great. What the fuck happened to this band

Old 01-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #17
absof
Demi-God

They’ve just given up on guests at this stage, huh?

Old 01-24-2023, 08:34 AM   #18
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
They’ve just given up on guests at this stage, huh?
Will Act 3 even have a podcast?

Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #19
dustrocck
Demi-God

There's a 3rd act?

Old 01-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #20
Ram27
dumb

hell no, that's for the tea consumers only

Old 01-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #21
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
hell no, that's for the tea consumers only
You buy tea, NOW!

Old 01-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #22
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

There is a third act. It starts in a couple of weeks iirc.

Tea customers get Act Four

Old 01-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #23
phang
Ownz

ABANDONED PROJECT #69

The podcast was absolutely groundbreaking but the fans just didn't get it, the remaining ones were recorded but now they're just sitting on a shelf.

Look out for ATUM reissue in 2050 to hear the secret insight into Act 3, available with tea purchases only.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #24
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Did Billy say something about Strawberry on this podcast or something?

Old 01-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #25
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
Did Billy say something about Strawberry on this podcast or something?
Didn't hear anything about Strawberry, but I could have missed something. My attention was scattered. It was the first one I've listened to in a while because I wanted to hear him discuss Zwan. He dropped some interesting nuggets:

-Says the "spirit" of the band was more in line with the Djali Zwan, where it was as much about having a cool "vibe" as much as great songs. He says when we hear those, we'll really understand the true spirt of that band and how Matt, David, and Paz really made it a different project than SP.

-Said the first year or so was great; particularly playing shows. The issues came when the record label started putting pressure on Billy in regards to making a commercial album. When they went into the studio, Matt, David, and Paz wanted to bring that same type of "cool vibe" element to the recording process as opposed to the more precise way Billy and Jimmy were used to recording. Said they had some big fights about this where they basically told him it was recording everything over and over again and analyzing things too much that caused SP to break up. He said to their credit, they really could not understand the pressure the label put on him (said even Jimmy was unaware of a lot of it until later).

-He said that after the record came out and the band got back on the road, things felt better. After the album failed in the label's eye, however, they pulled all funding from it and let it die. He said "after the money ran out", it was clear that Matt, David, and Paz has no lasting connection or desire to continue the band on a bigger level.

-He says they all play on the album, but admits he really took over the recording process. He considers Mary Star of the Sea the "lost" Pumpkins album that just happens to have other people playing on it. Says, in retrospect, they should have just pursued a more indie type deal where they could be the "vibe" band.

-Says when it came to recording, it was "three against one" (Matt, David, and Paz vs. Billy and Jimmy). When it came to partying it was often "four against one" (everyone against Billy).

Old 01-26-2023, 01:57 PM   #26
Ram27
dumb

good to know JC was still in his partying era

why did 'the label' give so much of a shit about an unheard of band? if corgan is still top of the world mr pumpkin shouldn't he get to dictate terms a bit?

Old 01-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #27
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
good to know JC was still in his partying era

why did 'the label' give so much of a shit about an unheard of band? if corgan is still top of the world mr pumpkin shouldn't he get to dictate terms a bit?
He wanted to release Jellybelly as the first single off MCIS and the label said no.

I think the label pressure is always there, and I think part of it is really what brought out Billy's best work. I know the democratization of music is probably for the best overall, but major labels did attempt to rein in the excesses or laziness of some of these artists.

They would be paying for studio time, mixing, engineering, etc. Spend as much time in the studio as you like, but we need some radio hits because we want to recoup our money in CD sales.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #28
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

More money in touring these days for established acts to do what they please I guess?Release 33 song synth pop record at your leisure. Play old hits on your tour. (Maybe sneak in one or two from new work = not legacy act).Profit.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #29
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

It costs pretty much zero to release an album digitally these days. And you can record it all at home. So that part of the cost is now gone (what used to be expensive studios, producing CDs, etc).

Now it's about promotion. Touring is a double edged sword - if a band is big enough (e.g. War on Drugs level, or SP themselves) they can do big shows and headline festivals for a payout. If the band is middle level, or smaller, they may actually end up losing money when they tour. That's why now they focus on merch and vinyl.

"Label interference" is like a movie studio rejecting a cut of a film. And then the director's cut comes out. They've invested into the movie / album, and they want to see a return on that investment, and they believe (right or wrong) that they know what'll sell.

So presumably Billy wanted to make an album of the more indie or early Zwan material they were playing live, but the label wanted radio singles. And to his credit, he delivered that.

I played MSOTS the other day and I found it quite tiring - his voice in particular. It just stays the same all the way through. The only break was Of A Broken Heart, where he uses a different tone.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So, no one was profoundly moved by the knowledge that this song is not about "return[ing] the faith" to Shiny-Billy, but from the perspective of the XNI?