Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2022, 04:05 PM   #541
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s better than Gish. MCIS is objectively better but I’m not 17 or an incel so it’s not a particularly enjoyable listen. Adore’s kinda boring? Maybe I got burnt out on these albums but I’m way more likely to listen to Zeitgeist or Cyr. SD and Machina are still brilliant.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:29 PM   #542
pineapple*soul
Ownz

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
MCIS is objectively better but I’m not 17 or an incel so it’s not a particularly enjoyable listen.
wtaf

Old 08-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #543
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

yeah, that's a pretty cool take guys. imagine listening to anything not arbitrarily "adult" just because we are technically grown up now. if anyone needs me i'll be in my foyer listening to the latest Coldplay, sipping a cup of very black coffee thank you very much

Old 08-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #544
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I’m a Zeitgeist Truther. It’s good! I will listen to it over Gish, MCIS or Adore!
Quote:
Maybe I got burnt out on these albums but I’m way more likely to listen to Zeitgeist or Cyr.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:09 PM   #545
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

I think I know what's happening... and I'm scared

Old 08-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #546
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
MCIS is objectively better but I’m not 17 or an incel so it’s not a particularly enjoyable listen.
Cringe and bluepilled

Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #547
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It’s better than Gish. MCIS is objectively better but I’m not 17 or an incel so it’s not a particularly enjoyable listen. Adore’s kinda boring? Maybe I got burnt out on these albums but I’m way more likely to listen to Zeitgeist or Cyr. SD and Machina are still brilliant.
How fucking big of a dork do you have to be to think you can’t enjoy music past a certain age? Go listen to fucking Bach hymnals if you want “mature” music, gramps

Old 08-11-2022, 01:46 AM   #548
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I don’t think I can’t enjoy it. I literally do not enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:30 AM   #549
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

In my opinion, 15 years later, Zeitgeist is not as bad as what those who didn't like the record at the time of its release thought, but worse than what those who did. It obviously has some issues.

Besides, Billy and Jimmy were very naive to think that an album line Zeitgeist would be enough to meet the expectations of a comeback without two of their original members. Zeitgeist was not only compared to SD or MCIS, but to the whole catalogue.

I think it was Rick Rubin that said "so many bands or there trying to sound like the Smashing Pumpkins, and you're trying hard not to". That's probably why they didn't ******* sings like Stellar or Ma Belle, or even Strength in Numbers

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 08-11-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:31 AM   #550
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
I don’t think I can’t enjoy it. I literally do not enjoy it.
Had almost the exact opposite relationship with gravy. Couldn’t get with it when I was a kid. Something about the brown sludge didn’t appeal to me. My mum used to drink gravy from the pitcher - thought she belonged on a psych ward. Obviously that’s where she went in the end, but not before I managed to get a taste for good ol’ Lumpy Gravy. I think gravy is real yum now.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:38 AM   #551
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I very rarely reach for MCIS for a listen, it never occurs to me to go put it on. Not like with SD, Gish, or even Adore. Hell I'd be more inclined these days to listen to a bit of Oceania. About 50% of MCIS I'm not bothered with (read: the screechy ones).

I'm aware the other 50% is top tier SP though.

Gish has a certain naive charm to it, like this kind of music was brand new or at least this was a new approach to it - not quite metal, not quite rock, not quite psychedelia. Made by not quite rock stars. Plus the song writing and singing is A1 sharon.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:39 AM   #552
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

But also, where's the album?

We are fairly sure "Beguiled" is the first single. Perhaps it was due for a summer release but the whole thing got delayed.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #553
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I very rarely reach for MCIS for a listen, it never occurs to me to go put it on. Not like with SD, Gish, or even Adore. Hell I'd be more inclined these days to listen to a bit of Oceania. About 50% of MCIS I'm not bothered with (read: the screechy ones).

I'm aware the other 50% is top tier SP though.

Gish has a certain naive charm to it, like this kind of music was brand new or at least this was a new approach to it - not quite metal, not quite rock, not quite psychedelia. Made by not quite rock stars. Plus the song writing and singing is A1 sharon.
I love asking people which ones they think are the bad ones and wait to see other people reacting like "you crazy!? So and so are the best songs on album".

Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #554
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Jesus Christ imagine posting on netphoria whilst not enjoying MCIS ????? Seems like delusional behavior to me… it is an objectively amazing record go listen to it instead of making another post

Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #555
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
Jesus Christ imagine posting on netphoria whilst not enjoying MCIS ????? Seems like delusional behavior to me… it is an objectively amazing record go listen to it instead of making another post
I never said I didn't enjoy it. I bought it in 1995 when it came out and thought it was an amazing piece of work, and it soundtracked my year after that. It was peak-Pumpkins. And I almost felt justified, being a hardcore fan since 1992, that one of "my" bands had become massively popular.

However once time had past and objectivity came into play, there's other areas of SP I prefer to delve into now. The joys of Adore have really come to light more recently, and I'm still finding odd little corners in that record. The non-Pisces b-sides and unreleased tracks. My own Machina 1 & 2 compilation. One offs like TEITBITE, or some of the Fillmore residency tracks. Bits of Oceania.

Maybe it's because MCIS was so ubiquitous, and because I listened to it so much, and everybody else I knew did, that now I go for things that can still surprise me. When I listen now to the likes of Hummer, or the outro of Soma, or the quiet part of Geek USA, I'm still amazed at the music and how they / he managed to create it. And the beauty of Gish is still as apparent as it was when I first heard it.

Much of MCIS is straight full-on "rock", and things like XYU / Ode To No One / Scorched Earth / Zero don't do it for me. On the flip side, Porcelina / Muzzle / Galapagos / Ruby / Cupid / Take Me Down / Farewell / Beautiful / and loads of Aeroplane are still top tier and where I would go to first.

Anyway, where's the album?

Old 08-11-2022, 10:22 AM   #556
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Much of MCIS is straight full-on "rock", and things like XYU / Ode To No One / Scorched Earth / Zero don't do it for me. On the flip side, Porcelina / Muzzle / Galapagos / Ruby / Cupid / Take Me Down / Farewell / Beautiful / and loads of Aeroplane are still top tier and where I would go to first.
Ok yes I very much agree with this, almost to a tee except zero is really really based and muzzle is the worst track on the album

I also agree with you that adore is superior

Old 08-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #557
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Anyone who complains about production on MCIS is a weird nerd, that album is glorious.
The production on MCIS is actually p bad
Album slaps tho

Old 08-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #558
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

slaps is the dumbest word ever.. except for the word Cyr

Old 08-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #559
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

oof... a lot to unpack there

really just a bit problematic if you ask me. but it's all good, i like your vibes

#staytoxic

Old 08-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #560
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I never said I didn't enjoy it. I bought it in 1995 when it came out and thought it was an amazing piece of work, and it soundtracked my year after that. It was peak-Pumpkins. And I almost felt justified, being a hardcore fan since 1992, that one of "my" bands had become massively popular.

However once time had past and objectivity came into play, there's other areas of SP I prefer to delve into now. The joys of Adore have really come to light more recently, and I'm still finding odd little corners in that record. The non-Pisces b-sides and unreleased tracks. My own Machina 1 & 2 compilation. One offs like TEITBITE, or some of the Fillmore residency tracks. Bits of Oceania.

Maybe it's because MCIS was so ubiquitous, and because I listened to it so much, and everybody else I knew did, that now I go for things that can still surprise me. When I listen now to the likes of Hummer, or the outro of Soma, or the quiet part of Geek USA, I'm still amazed at the music and how they / he managed to create it. And the beauty of Gish is still as apparent as it was when I first heard it.

Anyway, where's the album?
You crazy, XYU and An Ode To No One are the best songs on the album.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #561
pineapple*soul
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
How anyone could call those 'straight full-on "rock"' is so odd to me. They're more performance art pieces that uses and subverts "rock" to create a feeling of descending into a kind of aggressive insanity.

But whatever, everyone's experience is different I guess...

Old 08-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #562
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
But also, where's the album?

We are fairly sure "Beguiled" is the first single. Perhaps it was due for a summer release but the whole thing got delayed.
It’s taking a while to decide on the colours and colour names for all 17 vinyl variants

Old 08-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #563
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple*soul View Post
How anyone could call those 'straight full-on "rock"' is so odd to me. They're more performance art pieces that uses and subverts "rock" to create a feeling of descending into a kind of aggressive insanity.

But whatever, everyone's experience is different I guess...
That you, Billy?

Old 08-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #564
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
That may be so, but in terms of things I want to listen to in 2022, those aren't the songs.

For me the production and sound of SD is the thing that's "subverting rock".

But anyway, where's the album?

Old 08-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #565
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

I don't know, but Ma Belle is a very, very good song.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:31 PM   #566
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

As is the song Zeitgeist - almost, almost welling up listening to this right now.

What's the albums?

Old 08-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #567
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

I also think I'm one of the only people in the world that loves "Pomp & Circumstances."

Old 08-11-2022, 05:30 PM   #568
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 08-11-2022, 06:59 PM   #569
Ram27
dumb

jimbo looking great

did he get hair plugs?

Old 08-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #570
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like a sexual innuendo, if you ask me