Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
industrial, like everything else, devolved into self-parody

but TG really were the next evolution in rocknroll

more primitive, more frightening, subversive, sexy etc. than any of their contemporaries

and with a cult-like frontman that made them more like a pop act than something exp like NWW
obviously no doubt.

i'll admit i spent a ridiculous amount of time and money in college searching for the "perfect" Psychic TV bootlegs/albums. i've owned an embarrassing amount of them over the years.

I was obsessed with TOPY

do you need PTV recs? studio albums all you need is "dreams less sweet". if you want harder than that go with "berlin atonal" or "live at the ritz" (my first ptf purchase) live albums.

also can't beat the "unclean" 12"

if you're wondering about "a pagan day" or "allegory and self" they're just ok in my book. same with the first album, force the hand of chance.

if you like the techno stuff then obv the comp "jack the tab/tekno acid beat" is GOAT and for sure the video of joy/black (joy is a video comp of tekno acid beat videos and black is a later period full live show from i think around '88). both of these are on youtube i believe.

i tried to get into nurse with wound when i finally got spotify but found there was so little material on there so i just accepted it as one of those bands i'll never know about.

(sorry for sperging about gen)

Old 08-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

i work with a new dude (my company absorbs other companies) and this one new import is like 10 years older than me and he constantly wears siouxshee banshees, wax trax, bauhaus, ministry, joy division, pig face, etc shirts

he's like 6'4

i'm not sure if my opening line should be "i bet you fucked a lot of hot goth girls back in the day" or "do you have a record collection?"

Old 08-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #33
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
obviously no doubt.

i'll admit i spent a ridiculous amount of time and money in college searching for the "perfect" Psychic TV bootlegs/albums. i've owned an embarrassing amount of them over the years.

I was obsessed with TOPY

do you need PTV recs? studio albums all you need is "dreams less sweet". if you want harder than that go with "berlin atonal" or "live at the ritz" (my first ptf purchase) live albums.

also can't beat the "unclean" 12"

if you're wondering about "a pagan day" or "allegory and self" they're just ok in my book. same with the first album, force the hand of chance.

if you like the techno stuff then obv the comp "jack the tab/tekno acid beat" is GOAT and for sure the video of joy/black (joy is a video comp of tekno acid beat videos and black is a later period full live show from i think around '88). both of these are on youtube i believe.

i tried to get into nurse with wound when i finally got spotify but found there was so little material on there so i just accepted it as one of those bands i'll never know about.

(sorry for sperging about gen)
Hell yeah, I'm always confused as to what type of group Psychic TV is...I get the whole cult thing and read about the mutual aid masturbation (lol), but some of their stuff feels jarringly pop and other stuff meandering with its exp

I'll check those recs out

Nurse With Wound came alive for me during a 1am very drunk trip to HEB (Texas grocery store)...I gave "Gyllenskold geijerstam and i at Rydberg's" a listen through headphones (which is on Spotify) and found it very unsettling but also funny and charming

NWW has a very mischievous dada sense of humor

a later album "Huffin' Rag Blues" is much more accessible and contains some loungey elements that are wicked cool

Old 08-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #34
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

is

Old 08-10-2022, 06:39 PM   #35
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

is there

Old 08-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
and read about the mutual aid masturbation (lol),
um it's called a sigil and it's sex magick lol

Old 08-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

the "jarring pop stuff" was mostly 84-86 as a transition from their harder industrial roots to the techno phase. like the song godstar.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:09 PM   #38
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
um it's called a sigil and it's sex magick lol
oh right, they will something to happen during the moment of orgasm iirc

Old 08-11-2022, 10:19 AM   #39
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 08-11-2022, 09:31 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

basically

Old 08-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #41
slunken
Virgo

if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, TOPY was (early on) interested in using the idea of broadcast television as a way to channel magick impulses. or a way to turn a passive experience into an active one via the use of william burroughs' cut-up technique.

so like an early idea was to hit record on your vcr but keep changing the channel to a randomly decided interval of time that keeps changing. one segment might be one minute, another might be 10 seconds, etc.

then this tape could be used as a magickal weapon.

very interesting in terms of combining technology and chaos magick

Old 08-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #42
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, you music heads

What are good resources for music history? Do you just read the Wiki pages of bands/styles you're interested in, or read books and blogs and such?

Some folks told me to give The Ongoing History of New Music a try, saying that Alan Cross is one of the best popular music historians in Canada. I listened to two episodes, his two-parter on the history of gothic rock, and it wasn't very much of a deep dive. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, even though I'm not an expert myself. Made me wonder if the rest of his stuff is similarly cursory (not that there's anything wrong with giving cursory overviews of shit… I mean, I spend my time watching YouTube videos that give cursory simplifications of physics because I know that I will likely never pursue a real education in physics).

Old 08-25-2022, 07:32 PM   #43
slunken
Virgo

secrets

Last edited by slunken : 08-30-2022 at 07:23 PM.