Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Red face So, this is pretty scary

It's county fair season, and people where I live frequently attend several surrounding counties just to have more to do. One of the neighboring counties to me had a guy with an automatic rifle prowling around through there, pointing it at people. Some of the locals saw this and went and got their (licensed) guns, and flashed them at this dude and he wound up ducking out of a hole in a fence. He continued wandering down the street and into a gas station, where he pointed the gun (AR 15) at employees until police caught up with him and shot him. Gunman didn't shoot anyone, surprisingly, but was clearly disturbed. I normally attend this thing, but didn't due to a heatwave that I didn't want to bring my family outside in. Too close to home. Makes me concerned to go anywhere with a crowd, yet again.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #2
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i attended a 5k downtown with a coworker--my boss, actually--for work function purposes and to collect a grant we were awarded. we got there before it started and after setting up, i looked around the place and pointed out the best points of exit and asked where we should meet in case things went sideways since she was my ride.

tommy and i went to see guided by voices at an outdoor concert thing a few weeks back and i did the same thing...decided ahead of time my quickest route out of the area + alternative routes and decided on a rendezvous point with him.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm pretty sure that guy was Antifa

Old 07-26-2022, 09:04 PM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

how sure are you?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:09 PM   #5
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm just repeating what Fox News tells me

Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Old 07-26-2022, 09:50 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
It's county fair season, and people where I live frequently attend several surrounding counties just to have more to do. One of the neighboring counties to me had a guy with an automatic rifle prowling around through there, pointing it at people. Some of the locals saw this and went and got their (licensed) guns, and flashed them at this dude and he wound up ducking out of a hole in a fence. He continued wandering down the street and into a gas station, where he pointed the gun (AR 15) at employees until police caught up with him and shot him. Gunman didn't shoot anyone, surprisingly, but was clearly disturbed. I normally attend this thing, but didn't due to a heatwave that I didn't want to bring my family outside in. Too close to home. Makes me concerned to go anywhere with a crowd, yet again.
christ that is fucked up

what a stupid stupid country that's falling apart even quicker than ever. 80 fucking shootings this year or something, the abortion thing, etc etc

Old 07-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i'm not surprised about this. But i grew up in a family of people who open carried guns 24/7

Old 07-27-2022, 12:56 AM   #9
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

That is really messed up

My U.S. friend in Singapore raised her kids mostly overseas in relatively safe Asian cities, but their hometown is close to Ohio where apparently they had big meth and painkiller addiction problems. She was running me through the way she prepped her kids whenever they went back to the U.S. and I can’t imagine hearing that information, like

“If you hear a noise and you even THINK that it’s a gunshot, run and HIDE straight away. Don’t worry about me. I will come and get you. The important thing is you just run away and hide.”

Growing up in NZ, the only time I heard a life or death message it was about nature - earthquakes, hypothermia from getting lost in the bush, etc. I had no fear of another human being picking up a lethal weapon and using it on people around them. That almost feels like the country is no longer in peace time, to be preparing for that

Old 07-27-2022, 01:53 AM   #10
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I was reading some interviews about it, and people in a KFC that he went into were hiding in the freezer. And at the fair, the rides got shut down, and some people were stuck at the top of a ferris wheel. I'm so glad he decided not to shoot, but those details make it more frightening. I'm not sure how to feel that this guy probably only fled because of other people's guns.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:35 AM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

Growing up in NZ, the only time I heard a life or death message it was about nature - earthquakes, hypothermia from getting lost in the bush, etc. I had no fear of another human being picking up a lethal weapon and using it on people around them. That almost feels like the country is no longer in peace time, to be preparing for that
I'm one of many that has been raised all too aware of the presence and threat of guns in our midst. From drills in school that involved hiding under desks, to casual jokes about loud noises being gunfire...and now as an adult I'm infuriated to see my country cracked in half defending their personal need for wartime weapons, amongst every other stupid and dangerous opinion. It's the same arguments and the decisions being made are sending us back in time in the worst ways.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs down

CHEERS: This guy showing up with an AR-15 and pointing it at people
JEERS: Not simply obeying the cops' orders, even though, again, he was totally within his rights to wave an automatic rifle around in public, but, if a cop tells you to stop doing something you have a right to do, you have a duty to stop doing it and you deserve to be shot and killed if you'd don't

Old 07-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Kind of lucky, in retrospect, that my parents had "duck and cover" drills, and my nieces and nephews have all had active shooter drills, but I didn't have to do anything, at least on an institutional level, that encouraged me to acknowledge sudden death as a likely consequence of showing up to school every day

Old 07-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #14
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

All my family members who died from firearms were suicides

half of all gun deaths nationally are suicides. Nearly all of those suicides are men

Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #15
yo soy el mejor

sometimes their self-hatred is just good common sense

Old 08-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #16
yo soy el mejor

what, shallowed? there are plenty of self-hating men in this nation who could do us a favor and kill themselves before hurting somebody

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 08-12-2022 at 03:16 AM.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:54 PM   #17
ilikeplanets
Braindead

There was a shooting this evening in a Safeway I go to sometimes. I live in a relatively quiet area, so all this is crazy.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:43 PM   #18
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
tommy and i went to see guided by voices
niiiiiiice

i've never not had an amazingly fun time seeing them

Old 08-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #19
slunken
Virgo

in the early 00s i wound up backstage after a GBV show and I said to Bob what a great show it was and he thrust a Rolling Rock at me and told me that "rock and roll is just about having fun"

I never forgot that.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #20
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

Old 08-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #21
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The shooting here made the national news

Old 08-29-2022, 10:54 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
nothing that i've said changes after this scathing comment

Old 08-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #23
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
niiiiiiice

i've never not had an amazingly fun time seeing them
it was great, they played "your name is wild" which i didn't expect to ever hear live

Old 08-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
it was great, they played "your name is wild" which i didn't expect to ever hear live
under the bushes under the stars is hands down my favorite album of theirs no question

Old 08-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #25
slunken
Virgo

i read about them in a 90s music magazine (i think it was an issue of Magnet with Fred Durst on the cover) and found that album in a head shop in a nearby city. Absolutely changed my life.

I think I learned about Modest Mouse from that same issue too.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

under the bushes is also my favorite but i'll take just about anything of bob's work from '86 to '04. my interest in gbv waned sharply after they "broke up" in 2004 but his solo stuff and side projects were still great even then

if you haven't listened to circus devils then you need to. harold pig memorial

Old 10-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

been thinking about this for a few months - but does it seem wise to have a cop on the side of the highway posted up and pointing a gun (radar) at oncoming traffic?

In today's climate?

Old 10-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
under the bushes is also my favorite but i'll take just about anything of bob's work from '86 to '04. my interest in gbv waned sharply after they "broke up" in 2004 but his solo stuff and side projects were still great even then

if you haven't listened to circus devils then you need to. harold pig memorial
yea i know circus devils a little. i'll revisit. i think earthquake glue was their last good album. but tbh i didn't listen much after that.

Propeller has aged insanely well.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #29
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Cops are never a good idea tbh.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

damn that's badass