Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
T&T
Socialphobic

Default Machina II 24bit/96Khz needle drop needed

Machina II 24bit/192Khz needle drop needed (will settle for 96kHz)

can someone get this done?

do we need to start a petition?

Last edited by T&T : 01-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
redbull
Immortal

uh good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

I applaud your efforts.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
i'm still looking for Agnew ~3% fast rip
I'm looking at the box it is in. Unfortunately, it is under eight other boxes of CD's which I may have to repack in a month if I have to move again.

I'm not exactly looking forward to it, so I'm putting off unpacking it if possible.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
trev
charm

Quote:
i'm still looking for Agnew ~3% fast rip
i only ever had the mp3 version of this - i looked for you last time i was at my parents, found the CD case the CDR used to be in, but no CDR there! son of a bitch. i'll hunt around if i get a chance but i don't think i'll be much help now.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaddrow View Post
I'm looking at the box it is in. Unfortunately, it is under eight other boxes of CD's which I may have to repack in a month if I have to move again.

I'm not exactly looking forward to it, so I'm putting off unpacking it if possible.
if all we need is 2 more months
it'll be worth the wait....
take 3

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Smile

Quote:
if all we need is 2 more months
it'll be worth the wait....
take 3
I think I promised it to you over a year ago, so what's a couple more months, right?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

eh, who's counting?!

so. does someone want to contact Davin about this 24bit/192kHz needle drop?
We need someone "serious" on board to get this ball rolling...
SP media Militia???
the community needs the highest quality "archive" of this album recorded.
16/44.1 will start to feel it's age (i feel it already)
better to be ahead of our time then behind.
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS STILL MATTER!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
wally
cibohplaicos

uh... vive la vaca!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
trev
charm

better off waiting for the digital re-release

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

i only know a few of the people on that leet list of 25 MII vinyl owners personally enough to ask for this. i'll shoot off some emails and see what they say.

but i'm sure (cough, cough) there's others that could probably help with this.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
but i'm sure (cough, cough) there's others that could probably help with this.
c'mon (step forward)

or davin is gonna have to start naming names

Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #13
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaddrow View Post
I think I promised it to you over a year ago, so what's a couple more months, right?
your couple of months are over buddy!
step up!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
wpc33
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Cheating on my wife with Kurt Cobain's wife. He'll live.

I would download and help seed this

Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
T&T
Socialphobic

anyone in the mood?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Dajjal
Pledge

I'm in the mood....
For love.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
T&T
Socialphobic

Dajjal is in the mood folks!

do something about this for the love of god & jesus.
yes tell the billy we'll start loving jesus if he does this for us.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
aldango
Apocalyptic Poster

i think we need to re-evaluate our use of the word "need"

Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #19
aldango
Apocalyptic Poster

nevertheless, i need this recording

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic

This is the last thing on my list of needs & wants.
I'll set a time frame to get done by 2011!

where do I start guys?

davin, did you ever shoot off any emails?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
1100ww
Ownz

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm surprised there's not more info on what brand of turntable + stylus was used in transferring the vinyl.

For example, with the Q101 rip, you'd assume they had professional equipment...so that one's kind of a non-issue.

But as far as people who own a record player--there's a huge difference in a $40 turntable from Best Buy vs a $300-$1000 (and up) "audiophile" turntable (from Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, etc). And there's a huge difference in whether a cheap or decent cartridge/needle was on the turntable.

Were these LPs played on a cheap entry-level DJ turntable from Guitar Center, or on a vintage Linn-Sondek from the 1970s? A lot of people have discussed the "sound" of Machina II, but the type of equipment it was played/transferred on can have a lot to do with that sound.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
machinaii
Pledge

The funny thing about the issue of the quality of Machina II is that it wasn't even officially mastered before they printed the 25 vinyls... so either way, the songs will always be rough in terms of what they would have normally done if it was somehow released officially at the time. I still think the Q101 version I have is the best quality I've heard so far...It's definitely a personal preference obviously...some versions are more trebly, some bassy, and some maybe just louder than others. I think q101 is the good mix of all those things. And the post above me is right, rationally, you'd think q101 would have had the best transfer equipment.
This is also a side thing, you can answer it if you want...
I know about the whole FLAC thing, how everyone's like "oh can I get a FLAC of that?" I won't argue if it's like the truly best type of music file or whatever, if it is, it is...but what is the reason behind that? Also, aren't they just massive size files, which kind of suck, no? That just means your computer will get slow / need to use external hardrive / iPod's would be able to fit less music on it if the individual file's are bigger sizes...
Basically I'm just saying I'm not a FLAC guy, and I'm asking if it's actually worth it to be one.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Flac is lossless. This means you don't lose any information. Other ways to compress audio, such as mp3 for example, do throw away some information. It allows them to be much smaller. So you have to choose for yourself what you prefer: smaller files, or quality.

Of course, if you want to listen to it on your iPod, file size matters. On the other hand, if you want to archive stuff, you shouldn't settle for any form of quality loss.

Internet connections and computers get faster and faster, harddrives are very cheap these days. For a lot of people, the larger file size is not really an issue anymore. So they go with flac.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
machinaii
Pledge

True. I have the live Acoustic Future Embrace in Australia show in FLAC. Obviously a live bootleg is probably a shitty example, but I converted one of the files to mp3, checked out both back to back switching, and couldn't hear a difference in the quality with good headphones on. I'll try it with an actual studio song though so see if I hear a difference in quality.

I'm all about like the truth of just chilling and listening to vinyls and whatnot since it's not compressed at all. I also do own an external hardrive. I absolutely appreciate quality. It's just that I don't know how noticable the difference is , and then unsure if I should make the decision to get everything I already have in FLAC. If I can't notice a big enough difference in headphones, then it might seem funny to take the time to get all the pumpkins stuff I already have, again.

Last edited by machinaii : 01-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #25
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinaii View Post
It's just that I don't know how noticable the difference is , and then unsure if I should make the decision to get everything I already have in FLAC. If I can't notice a big enough difference in headphones, then it might seem funny to take the time to get all the pumpkins stuff I already have, again.
as long as you keep saying "I" there then you won't have a problem. for your own personal use you can use or do whatever you like to your music.

problems start when narrow minded people assume that if they can't hear something, then nobody else can possibly hear it either.

you can't hear a difference between an mp3 and a flac? then yeah, use the mp3 that is smaller and more supported.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #26
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinaii View Post
True. I have the live Acoustic Future Embrace in Australia show in FLAC. Obviously a live bootleg is probably a shitty example, but I converted one of the files to mp3, checked out both back to back switching, and couldn't hear a difference in the quality with good headphones on. I'll try it with an actual studio song though so see if I hear a difference in quality.

I'm all about like the truth of just chilling and listening to vinyls and whatnot since it's not compressed at all. I also do own an external hardrive. I absolutely appreciate quality. It's just that I don't know how noticable the difference is , and then unsure if I should make the decision to get everything I already have in FLAC. If I can't notice a big enough difference in headphones, then it might seem funny to take the time to get all the pumpkins stuff I already have, again.
What are these "good" headphones you're using? I bought a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones back in 2000 and they've held up well.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

the important components to flac to remember are:
A - Lossless compression (which is useful if you want to convert to multiple types of formats. Sure mp3's is what's common for your ipod, but maybe they'll come up with something better yet different in the future, and it'll suck to convert a lossy mp3 to a different lossy format)
B - tagging, cover art and fast seeking (not available for all other lossless formats)
C - various bit resolution, sample rates and multi channel (not available for all other lossless formats)
D - open source!!! which means free to use and develop!

if none of this seems important to you, and you can't hear the difference, don't worry about it.

some people don't know what mp3 compression artifacts sound like, so aren't attentive to those details.