Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2021, 03:16 AM   #1
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Unhappy Anne Rice writing gothy vampire novels in Hell forever

I'm so crushed, I wanted another book. Her son is a crappy writer, so I guess that's it. RIP Lestat

Old 12-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Memnoch the Devil was baller

Old 12-13-2021, 12:33 AM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

wish it was JK Rowling in hell instead.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:33 AM   #4
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Memnoch the Devil was baller
i had dreams about this fuckin book

what is the devil really is the good guy, omg

Old 12-13-2021, 02:58 AM   #5
ilikeplanets
Braindead

THAT scene with Dora and Lestat though....kinda tough to stomach. You know, the one with the "different" kind of blood sucking.

Memnoch was very polarizing. I've never been very interested in Christian philosophy, but it is definitely a well thought out and unique take. The later books, the ones written circa 2014, basically say that it wasn't actually the devil and was a trickster spirit. A peer of Amel.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #6
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Those later books went off the rails in a lot of ways, especially with the introduction of Bravenna and the Replimoids. Took a bit of the mystique away from the vampires' origin story. I like the witchy element more than aliens. The Mayfair crossovers weren't my thing, either. Keep that crazy family away from my vampires! I've still read all of the Chronicles more than 5 times, select books more than 10.

Anyway, Armand is my favorite character, maybe ever. He's so troubling and interesting. I think Blood and Gold was her best written one, a historical epic mixed with a long, tragic life story. I'm....a really, REALLY big fan. I'm very sad about her death.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:10 AM   #7
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
THAT scene with Dora and Lestat though....kinda tough to stomach. You know, the one with the "different" kind of blood sucking.

Memnoch was very polarizing. I've never been very interested in Christian philosophy, but it is definitely a well thought out and unique take. The later books, the ones written circa 2014, basically say that it wasn't actually the devil and was a trickster spirit. A peer of Amel.
Quote:
Those later books went off the rails in a lot of ways, especially with the introduction of Bravenna and the Replimoids. Took a bit of the mystique away from the vampires' origin story. I like the witchy element more than aliens. The Mayfair crossovers weren't my thing, either. Keep that crazy family away from my vampires! I've still read all of the Chronicles more than 5 times, select books more than 10.

Anyway, Armand is my favorite character, maybe ever. He's so troubling and interesting. I think Blood and Gold was her best written one, a historical epic mixed with a long, tragic life story. I'm....a really, REALLY big fan. I'm very sad about her death.
I never read any of the other books. So I think Memnoch was the last in the original series, right? I agree about Armand, definitely my favorite character, or maybe Nicholas, even though he doesn't last long. I think Tale of the Body Thief was my favorite book though. I guess that's the one with the blood thing you're talking about, lol. Definitely gross.

Unfortunately, these books are tainted for me as they were some of the only ones I was able to read while I was in my fucked up controlling relationship. I actually started with these second book and read Interview with the Vampire at the end.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:13 AM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Lestat is the character that most got in my head, as in I found myself thinking in his voice (if that makes sense) for a few days after reading. I think Rice wrote really well from that perspective, like very similar to the way I think (obviously not quite since I'm not a sociopathic vampire). It just reads like thoughts in a way that not many authors can do.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #9
ilikeplanets
Braindead

The "original" chronicles are technically 10 books, but books 6 and 8 are stories of Armand and Marius, respectively, and books 7, 9, and 10 are crossovers with the Mayfairs. The recent trilogy undermines a lot of those later books, and kills off some of the Mayfair vampires that never should have been. So Lestat's story isn't really furthered much until Prince Lestat (2014).

Nicholas is the superior Louis, although I guess his insanity ruined his staying power.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:17 AM   #10
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Lestat is the character that most got in my head, as in I found myself thinking in his voice (if that makes sense) for a few days after reading. I think Rice wrote really well from that perspective, like very similar to the way I think (obviously not quite since I'm not a sociopathic vampire). It just reads like thoughts in a way that not many authors can do.
I really enjoy the series due to the fact that MANY characters play narrator, and it's impressive that they each have their own unique voice. Rice really made them feel like different people with different ways of thinking, speaking, and perceiving. However, no one matches Lestat's flair, and his narration absorbs me instantly every time.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:18 AM   #11
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

Nicholas is the superior Louis, although I guess his insanity ruined his staying power.
Yeah, absolutely.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:19 AM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I also don't find Lestat to be sociopathic. Narcistic and impulsive, yes.

And no, the scene with Dora was in Memnoch. Body Thief's sex scenes were with that waitress Lestat raped and the nun, Gretchen. I guess that rape scene gives him some sociopathic points. He cared enough to try to fix it later, at least? =/

Last edited by ilikeplanets : 12-13-2021 at 03:25 AM.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

My mom routinely called Madonna a "slut" and forbade us from listening to her music, and yet she bought Interview with the Vampire, I assume based solely on the buzz about it

I can't imagine she got very far into it. This is as far as I know the closest my mom ever got to reading something with an ounce of eroticism so, for making her profoundly uncomfortable, I commend Anne Rice and grieve her loss

Old 12-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #14
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
I also don't find Lestat to be sociopathic. Narcistic and impulsive, yes.

And no, the scene with Dora was in Memnoch. Body Thief's sex scenes were with that waitress Lestat raped and the nun, Gretchen. I guess that rape scene gives him some sociopathic points. He cared enough to try to fix it later, at least? =/
Oh right, for some reason I thought Gretchen was the person he did that with, forgot they were two separate people.