Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #121
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i've never owed money to the IRS. am i too poor or what?
Assuming you've had a job, you have owed money. They probably just took out enough or too much directly from your check and you never owed at tax time. I have to keep track myself, because no one is taking any money out of anything (since I'm not a W2 employee), and you can't just wait until taxes are due to pay it all even if that was a good idea.

You may have never owed because you didn't make a lot plus got a lot of credits for any number of things (especially as a student, you get part of the child tax credit if you are under a certain income), but you at least paid payroll taxes (7.65% social security/medicare for regular W2 employees) and probably more.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-08-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #122
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
i've never owed money to the IRS. am i too poor or what?
I haven't either, and I'm not even entirely sure that I will this time. I need to talk to an accountant after I get my 1099. Being self employed is actually terrible in this sense, with these tax rates and quarterly taxes. I can't trade the flexibility though. There's a decent chance that all this worry is for nothing and I made below the threshold to even owe taxes. I have mixed feelings about that.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #123
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Also, I'm glad work is going well so far. The beginning is such a crap shoot. I hope it stays tolerable!

Old 12-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #124
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I haven't either, and I'm not even entirely sure that I will this time. I need to talk to an accountant after I get my 1099. Being self employed is actually terrible in this sense, with these tax rates and quarterly taxes. I can't trade the flexibility though. There's a decent chance that all this worry is for nothing and I made below the threshold to even owe taxes. I have mixed feelings about that.
at the very least you'd owe payroll taxes on everything (15.3% for self-employed), but child tax credit could wipe that out for sure depending

Old 12-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #125
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Also, I'm glad work is going well so far. The beginning is such a crap shoot. I hope it stays tolerable!
for sure, i don't know that I've ever worked anywhere where people gave a damn about training. definitely a good sign

Old 12-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #126
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Never mind, I will owe. Yay?

Old 12-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #127
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:

it might be worth looking up free tax assistance help in your area first since just TALKING to an accountant might cost you.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 07-19-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:03 AM   #128
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I use freetaxusa.com. Since FL has no income tax, it's completely free for me. It was confusing figuring out certain things (like the pass-through income deduction for self-employed people which is a huge deal), but they do walk you through it pretty well and I've been able to explain it to some people as well.

I would definitely try to get someone if you feel iffy about it, but if you are going to do it yourself don't bother paying TurboTax or whatever (who will make you get deluxe editions just for having a schedule C) and just use freetaxusa.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-09-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #129
ilikeplanets
Braindead

So I got that auditor position. Which is still a 1099 position, but I make a whopping 84 cents more per hour. I didn't have to do any qualification, which is weird. Maybe no one else wanted to do it.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #130
ovary
Ownz

so at my work it's a kind of two tier employee situation and you can't really switch between the tiers and i'm a low tier bitch of course so but anyway there was a job opening up in tier 1 and i figured i'd apply because why not, the job market is weird, you know, whatever, so i applied and then last night this woman we'll call her Chloe or Romula or something she emails and says yeah sorry we're not going to even give you a first round interview, but boy we sure do appreciate you doing more work than we do for a quarter of the pay, or well she didn't use exactly those words but that was the gist.

so, then, the next day, today, it's the evening and i smoke a little marijuana up in the woods and i decide to venture down to bed bath and beyond to pick up something that has been rotting on my to-do list for awhile and i go and i'm there and i'm really vibing. the girl working the counter has a long braid and i'm mingling with the masses and enjoying the high ceilings and trying out some pillows, cruising the pet section, wondering what vast "beyond" i might encounter next as i approach the register check-out area when BAM there she is right in front of me in her long old-boomer-lady black smock sort of garment, it's chloe or romula or maybe we'll call her linda-lou. and I say "linda-lou!" it's "ovary!" and I take off my mask for a moment peekaboo-style just to prove it to her and she says "oh hi, what are you here for?" and i say "well, i have a shower in my house that is full of flourescent lights where i grow my plants!" and then i got flustered because i was high as shit and i think maybe she thinks i am talking about WEED plants so I say "well, I mean, you know, SMALL plants. TINY plants." i was not able to come up with the term "seedling" in the moment. and well then i say "anyway i need a curtain, you know, for to cover up the flourescent lights, you know, and then i needed these little rings, these curtain ring holders, as you can see here that i have in my hand." luckily i was able to produce proof of this. at this point linda-lou started to look increasingly uncomfortable so i said my goodbyes and turned to the lovely cashier with the long brown braid and i said to her "oh my god you know what i've forgotten my wallet in the car" and so i had to uh walk out to get it, and come back in, and by the time i got back thank god old linda lou had disappeared. the end.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM   #131
yo soy el mejor

cool story. sounds like you could use a shower (i bet you stink!)

Old 12-10-2021, 12:16 AM   #132
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
so at my work it's a kind of two tier employee situation and you can't really switch between the tiers and i'm a low tier bitch of course so but anyway there was a job opening up in tier 1 and i figured i'd apply because why not, the job market is weird, you know, whatever, so i applied and then last night this woman we'll call her Chloe or Romula or something she emails and says yeah sorry we're not going to even give you a first round interview, but boy we sure do appreciate you doing more work than we do for a quarter of the pay, or well she didn't use exactly those words but that was the gist.

so, then, the next day, today, it's the evening and i smoke a little marijuana up in the woods and i decide to venture down to bed bath and beyond to pick up something that has been rotting on my to-do list for awhile and i go and i'm there and i'm really vibing. the girl working the counter has a long braid and i'm mingling with the masses and enjoying the high ceilings and trying out some pillows, cruising the pet section, wondering what vast "beyond" i might encounter next as i approach the register check-out area when BAM there she is right in front of me in her long old-boomer-lady black smock sort of garment, it's chloe or romula or maybe we'll call her linda-lou. and I say "linda-lou!" it's "ovary!" and I take off my mask for a moment peekaboo-style just to prove it to her and she says "oh hi, what are you here for?" and i say "well, i have a shower in my house that is full of flourescent lights where i grow my plants!" and then i got flustered because i was high as shit and i think maybe she thinks i am talking about WEED plants so I say "well, I mean, you know, SMALL plants. TINY plants." i was not able to come up with the term "seedling" in the moment. and well then i say "anyway i need a curtain, you know, for to cover up the flourescent lights, you know, and then i needed these little rings, these curtain ring holders, as you can see here that i have in my hand." luckily i was able to produce proof of this. at this point linda-lou started to look increasingly uncomfortable so i said my goodbyes and turned to the lovely cashier with the long brown braid and i said to her "oh my god you know what i've forgotten my wallet in the car" and so i had to uh walk out to get it, and come back in, and by the time i got back thank god old linda lou had disappeared. the end.
Extremely relatable

I was in bed bath and table (which might be the same chain with a different name I dunno) last night shopping for a present for my son’s teacher and it felt like these girls working there just wanted to redirect me to this mid range department store, maybe because they didn’t want me in the shop putting off other customers or something, kinda had pretty woman vibes

My son picked a French pear reed diffuser and I wasn’t sure about it but I was like ok, it’s good, let’s just buy it and get out of here

Old 12-10-2021, 12:17 AM   #133
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
So I got that auditor position. Which is still a 1099 position, but I make a whopping 84 cents more per hour. I didn't have to do any qualification, which is weird. Maybe no one else wanted to do it.
That’s still great, congratulations…

Old 12-11-2021, 03:14 AM   #134
yo soy el mejor

says the turd who conflates "educated" bourgeois middle class culture with metropolitan culture. such a tone-deaf middle-class stay-at-home mom thing to say

like a damn ass overseas karen

Old 12-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #135
vixnix
Socialphobic

Old 12-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #136
vixnix
Socialphobic

I wish I was still a stay at home mum

Old 12-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #137
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
says the turd who conflates "educated" bourgeois middle class culture with metropolitan culture. such a tone-deaf middle-class stay-at-home mom thing to say

like a damn ass overseas karen
Hi

Old 12-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #138
ovary
Ownz

i'm doing free undercarriage inspections today if anyone is interested just upload a pic

Old 12-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #139
yo soy el mejor

Dag!