Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Travis_Wright
Ownz

Default Tour Memories

so after the 14 shows i went to this year i just want to say that to all the people i met hanging out before and after the shows, thanks for making this year one of the best years i can remember. i met so many nice people at every single show. the asheville crowds were some of the best fans i've ever met in my life and i'm glad that i could make friends with several of you netphorians through the process. i'm sad that it's over and unfortunately i won't get to go to any shows during the next tour, but to get to my point.. what was your favorite memory from the tour?

my favorite tour experience this year was getting fake punched by billy at the last asheville show and him chucking his pick at me.

favorite songs i heard this year was hands down.. let me give the world to you.. i never thought i'd get a chance to hear that song live and it was an amazing feeling when i finally did.

thanks again to monte/joey/sarah/brad/heather/the gatley/jenn/bobbi jo/brad/anya, you guys are awesome and hopefully we'll see each other soon at future sp shows.

tw

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

How many Asheville shows did you see?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Travis_Wright
Ownz

all 9, you?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
MonteLDS
*sigh*

After 18 shows.. still being beaten by 2 maybe more by others.. I have to say this was the worst year of the pumpkins

my favorite part of the tour was soundchecks in NC & SC

Favorite song to hear again would be To Sheila

I met a lot of cool ppl, the list is pretty long.. Just sad that the shows weren't as cool as the people

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
skipgo
Minion of Satan

so what is it you didn't like about the shows monte?

my favorite moments ******* billy's van halen/finger tapping solo and being close enough to see everything his hands did to the guitar, catching the pick that he threw, talking to him after the show and having him compliment my art (that was fucking incredible, highlight of the last five years of my life or something). I had a lot of fun with the awesome people I met. I loved how waiting in line all day was like being in some bizzaro world where the only conversations anyone has are about the pumpkins. I loved seeing hummer live again, that one never disappoints, and I loved hearing Lucky 13 as well. Finally standing next to Jimmy (even though i didn't say anything to him, because I'm a dork and didn't know what to say other than "you're awesome jimmy") was another highlight. Hearing LMGTWTY in soundcheck was cool.
I'm just hoping that it won't be too long before I get to see them again...

Last edited by skipgo : 11-19-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
TicalFSU
When I travel to the Sun

Asheville, sitting in line with cool ass people+the kick ass shows

Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
donnie darko
Ownz

driving like 1600 total miles to see the pumpkins... Gonna miss it.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
million_watts
Demi-God

secret berlin show, pretty much every minute of it. as cheesy as it sounds, i still feel privileged for being able to attend that one. paris obviously was extremely intense back when it actually happened, not so much looking back on it.

meeting other fans was nice, especially since there always seemed to be people from all over the globe, which made things kinda special. one fan ended up mailing me the keys to her appartment to stay at for the london show, despite her not even being at home. i think that was by far the nicest thing a "stranger" has ever done for me. pumpkins fans really aren't that bad after all ...

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

glasgow:

pumpkins in europe
first time seeing band this year
pumpkins in europe

austin:

taking my friend eric to see his first pumpkins show ("best show ever!")
jimmy flemion
better than glasgow

dallas:

pre show burgers
line fiaso '07
WMMF broken guitar strings
Jeff showing emotion
band aftershow
terrible fog
czech bakery

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Smile

I could (and may) go into detail, but my best memories of the four shows from this "tour" were:

#1 - BBQ and quality local ales across the street from the Orange Peel with Jeff, Frank and Liz, three people whom I don't talk to nearly enough.

#2 - Great, great sushi + sake at a place in Japan Town in SF with Chelsi. I have seen nearly a hundred shows at Fillmore, yet have never eaten in Japan town until then.

Oh yeah, plus I saw a few pretty great shows. Also, Day Tripper. Oh.

I really should have (should still) write about my Asheville experience.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro
glasgow:

pumpkins in europe
first time seeing band this year
pumpkins in europe

austin:

taking my friend eric to see his first pumpkins show ("best show ever!")
jimmy flemion
better than glasgow

dallas:

pre show burgers
line fiaso '07
WMMF broken guitar strings
Jeff showing emotion
band aftershow
terrible fog
czech bakery
the dallas line fiaso 07 was epic. good times. It was the people in your section of the line who finally started saying what we at the front had been wanting to say for about half an hour, but we were wussing out for some reason (well i was, anyway; can't speak for those around me). I told lapis, when the pumpkin-fan infighting began, that it was like a live version of netphoria.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #12
lapis
Ownz

I'd been obsessed with SP for years, but I'd never seen them before this tour. The first night in Asheville blew my mind, and the next 8 shows there changed my life. It sounds ridiculous but it is true. Now I've seen 11 more shows, for a total of 20, and for the most part I enjoyed them all. Some of the other special shows were the 3 shows I saw of the Fillmore residency, the mini Fillmore-reunion at Red Rocks , the mini Asheville-reunions at Columbus, Greensboro, and Columbia... and of course the netphoria meet-up in Dallas.

I met so many awesome people in the lines I waited in. I remember after Asheville I was overwhelmingly sad because at that point I thought it was the end for me. Now, it really is all coming to an end. So many people I met I fear I will never see again. I think I will miss the time spent with my fellow fans the most.

The band. I never saw the original SP in concert and I never felt any loyalty to them. In a way, I think I was lucky because I was able to accept Jeff, Ginger, and Lisa as true members of the band. Probably, another part of my acceptance of them was based on the Asheville residency. I have tried and failed many times to find the words to describe the feeling of that residency. The small-town atmosphere, the intimate venue... There were so many opportunities to meet the band around town and I was able to meet and have a conversation with each of the new members. It all culminated in forming a bond between me and them that I feel that a lot of older fans would not experience. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being loyal to the original line-up, but for me, it hasn't been an issue. As for the 2 original members: It was simply breathtaking to be in close proximity to Billy so many nights on stage. One night in Asheville he noticed me from the stage at the end of the show and we told each other "thank you", repeatedly. I honestly don't have anything else to say to him now, and so I have not attempted to meet him before or after any of the shows I've attended. Jimmy too, of course. To have him make eye contact with me while kicking my ass with the most intense drumming I've ever witnessed... it's been awesome.

Highlight songs of the tour for me will mostly originate from the Asheville shows. Blue Skies Bring Tears became a favorite for me there, and will remain so forever. I heard nearly all of Zeitgeist live before the album leaked and honestly, I prefer to hear all of those songs live rather than from the album, particularly Starz. I find myself listening to the live-recordings rather than the actual album most of the time. Seeing Silverfuck live so many times was absolutely face-melting. I remember the day they started soundchecking The Aeroplane Flies High in Asheville. I was able to listen to it for what felt like hours. Seeing it live and in person that night (6/27) was incredible. Gossamer! The secret gem that Billy teases us with... knowing of its existence now and not hearing it live in so long..... that rascal! All of the residency songs: from Asheville my favorites were Question Mark and If Only in a Dream, from SF, 99 floors and The Rose March. Death From Above live, though I think perhaps I never want to hear it again, there are too many memories attached to it now... From the fall tour I'll mention Perfect, Set the Ray to Jerry, Let Me Give the World to You, Lucky 13 with the dark jam at the end, and Glass and the Ghost Children.

Well, perhaps it isn't really the end for me. I feel like I have gotten to watch the band develop in a unique way. From the small bar scene of the Asheville residency, to the slightly larger Fillmore, the theater venues... now they will embark on their arena tour in Europe and I have plans to attend some shows there. I think it will be an awesome time, but I hope that some of the fans I've met over this past year will be there to experience it with me.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
SlingeroGuitaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
I told lapis, when the pumpkin-fan infighting began, that it was like a live version of netphoria.

perfect description!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
the dallas line fiaso 07 was epic.
what's a line fiaso? what happened?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
SlingeroGuitaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream
what's a line fiaso? what happened?
there were a bunch of us that got in line pretty early and during the day the folks that came all took their place like normal people- one behind the other. the line got pretty long. around 6 or so the people that were just starting to get there decided that they wanted to be in the front so they created their own line at a second door. hissy fits were thrown, names were called, pimps were paid and hos were slapped.

in the end, the good guys won

Last edited by SlingeroGuitaro : 11-20-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: i misspelled the word 'won'

Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

no good memories other than TAFH.

worst show: dc. maybe philly was worse but i wasn't paying attention at all.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
skipgo
Minion of Satan

who continues to go to shows when they're not enjoying them? that makes even less sense than mcririck continuing to post on netphoria. At least he's not spending money and not using that much energy to do so.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

The best part of the tour for me was not having to meet any of you at the shows I went to.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
so what is it you didn't like about the shows monte?
just the constant disappointment that came with going to all those Fillmore shows. The lack of energy from Billy when he played CR and other songs.

Gossamer was too much for me at the time. Right about now I would enjoy it...

Set The Ray To Jerry wasn't that exciting when I saw it, nor was Where Boy Fears To Tread..

Bring The Lights has to be the worst song I saw added to the live setlist. I know a lot of people would say how great it is, but give me Starz or Bleeding the Orchid.

The only big surprise(s) was the By Starlight intro into To Sheila. Jeff smashing his guitar.

Otherwise it was way too predictable for me most nights... I went to all these shows in hope for something new and surprising, but I guess I am not impressed with it all....

LMGTWTY is the only song I really want to see live right now.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
greatpumpkin
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Wright
all 9, you?

I still don't know how some people got tickets to all 9 shows. Was this an after the fact, ebay type thing? Or did you get them when they went on sale? I didn't get any when they went on sale, and only scored tickets to 2 shows as they released extras later. Just curious.

My favorite memory: Finally meeting Billy after 15+ years of fanhood after the Athens show.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
Rammoz
Oblivious Virgin

Highlight for me this tour was being able to see SP at one of the Fillmore shows during my vacation/holiday in July.
Had to spend the next day finding a mailing tube for the poster we got in order to safely take it on the plane across the Atlantic.

Was in Brussels too, what a show that was. Amazing!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
czr
Ownz

Default Ah yes memories..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0c4c87654d.jpg

Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #23
memories_unwind
František`s mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_watts
secret berlin show, pretty much every minute of it. as cheesy as it sounds, i still feel privileged for being able to attend that one. paris obviously was extremely intense back when it actually happened, not so much looking back on it.

meeting other fans was nice, especially since there always seemed to be people from all over the globe, which made things kinda special.
That sums it up for me quite well

Does it say "Boobey" on the shirt? Nice picture btw.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

7/18/07 -- opening with Gossamer! Only time they've opened a show with it. Then 2 hours into the show, Billy was telling the audience he was sick and had to end the show. He did not look good, and he was not kidding when he said the show was over. Yet the audience did not stop cheering, clapping, chanting, and stomping their feet for over 5 minutes, even after the house lights came on. Eventually the band or their crew or the Fillmore staff realized that people were not leaving until they got more!

So finally Billy came back out, took in a roaring ovation, and continued the show. I was not expecting more than a couple short songs. On the contrary, we got about 45 of the most intense minutes I've seen all year, with Silverfuck being the highlight. Billy let ALL his emotion out in that one. He had ranted earlier about the San Francisco newspaper giving them a bad review, and I think he even screamed some things about it during the Silverfuck jam. I could not make out all the things he said. I am looking forward to this DVD release whenever it gets finished.

---------------

7/30 & 7/31 -- 2 amazing shows, each over 3 hours. 99 Floors was so beautiful (my first time seeing it).

8/1/07 -- The final Fillmore show, and they did a blissful acoustic set, followed by the usual rocking stuff.

-----------

9/30 -- To Sheila @ Red Rocks was so amazing

11/18 -- Superchrist was insnae, as were Lucky 13, and Heavy Metal Machine (with Iron Man)

--------------

And of course, meeting lots of great fans along the way. People are nicer in person than they are on Netphoria, thankfully.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #25
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan
And of course, meeting lots of great fans along the way. People are nicer in person than they are on Netphoria, thankfully.
qft

Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

My favourite fan moment from the tour is easily that guy who queued with a bunch of Netphorians for a show, then came online after the show and bitched each one out in turn in the most vitriolic way possible. That made for hilarious reading I have to say

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
who continues to go to shows when they're not enjoying them? that makes even less sense than mcririck continuing to post on netphoria. At least he's not spending money and not using that much energy to do so.
i only went to philly post-dc to see eits. if i had driven myself there, i would have left prior to the SP set.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #28
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
who continues to go to shows when they're not enjoying them? .

Monte. Maybe he thinks its his duty that netphoria must have cell set list texts.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #29
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee
The best part of the tour for me was not having to meet any of you at the shows I went to.
you met me years ago! sucks to be you!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #30
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan

People cant act tough to you in person. heh.