Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2023, 09:15 PM   #61
ovary
Ownz

you said "For Profit corporations, which had no interest in living in harmony with anyone who had prior claims to the areas they colonized." i paraphrased

Old 03-30-2023, 09:29 PM   #62
ovary
Ownz

what you're saying isnt entirely wrong it's just that it isnt entirely right either. colonization was an extremely complex endeavor undertaken by a bunch of different actors with different motivations and goals that shifted and developed across centuries. wealth creation through exploitation was clearly a dominant objective and tactic but it wasn't the only one. it often coexisted with other contradictory motivations within the same actors themselves.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #63
ovary
Ownz

the mass bay company bankrolling the puritans were after profit, but the puritan colonists themselves were after a lunatic theocracy utopia. the catholic nobles in maryland were after a recreation of feudal economy with themselces at the top, but the only people they could get to do the work were poor protestants looking to get land and money. each colony had its own weird little situation with different players after different things. a lot of the motivations were considerably more religious than financial.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:19 PM   #64
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

The people who came to the colonies prior to the revolution may have been fleeing serfdom, or looking for a place to do their creepy cult religion. But the impetus and motivation of the government and elites who organized and permitted colonization was strictly about wealth and power. England wanted treasure and they got it from new england in fish, whale oil, grain, rum. And they got it from the south in indigo, rice, and tobacco.

I hope my ancestors who were scalped and killed by the French had a better life than they would have had in Yorkshire or Wales. But the entire system they existed in here wasn't to create a shining city on a hill. That myth came later. It was to make the crown and elites in the UK filthy rich.

I'm sure some folks wanted to get along with native peoples. But overwhelmingly every colony, state, and government here in what became of The United states pursued extreme persecution of the indigenous. There was very little sentiment in the English colonies for living in harmony. That's just a fantasy.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:19 PM   #65
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

This thread is supposed to be about my crazy ancestors.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:03 PM   #66
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Well what did your ancestors bring to the first Thanksgiving

Old 03-31-2023, 02:36 PM   #67
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Well what did your ancestors bring to the first Thanksgiving
My 12th Great Grand Father and Grand Mother, John Alden and Pricilla Mullins Alden were there for the "first thanksgiving". If she was anything like my mom, Grandma Pricilla would have brought a very wet and bland green been casserole

FTR tho, there wasn't a first thanksgiving. The practice of calling for a Thanks Giving meal is old, going back to Pagan times in the UK. They did it at Jamestown too, well before my Alt Right grandparents came over on the Mayflower. Christians in England would do "thanksgiving" meals all the time, though, within their own families or villages to mark any particular event that they felt warranted it. But it took white right wing Christians in America to create a myth that they invented it.

In the Heathen Tradition we would call it a Blot. Next week is Sígrblót. The fall celebration is called Vetrnćtr, or Winter Nights. It's basically just a harvest festival where we give offerings to the Gods.

Quote:
Sígrblót (aka Sommardag or Victoryblot) is an ancient Heathen holiday falling on the fourth full moon after the winter solstice. This year's full moon begins on April 6, 2023.

Sígrblót is a pre-Christian celebration appointed by Odin in the Ynglinga Saga, stanza 8. It's here Odin lists three holidays we must celebrate with a blót:

1) Winternights/Vetrnćtr

2) Yule/Jól

3) Sígrblót/Sommardag
https://www.pagankids.org/post/sigrblot

Old 03-31-2023, 05:34 PM   #68
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
The people who came to the colonies prior to the revolution may have been fleeing serfdom, or looking for a place to do their creepy cult religion. But the impetus and motivation of the government and elites who organized and permitted colonization was strictly about wealth and power. England wanted treasure and they got it from new england in fish, whale oil, grain, rum. And they got it from the south in indigo, rice, and tobacco.

I hope my ancestors who were scalped and killed by the French had a better life than they would have had in Yorkshire or Wales. But the entire system they existed in here wasn't to create a shining city on a hill. That myth came later. It was to make the crown and elites in the UK filthy rich.

I'm sure some folks wanted to get along with native peoples. But overwhelmingly every colony, state, and government here in what became of The United states pursued extreme persecution of the indigenous. There was very little sentiment in the English colonies for living in harmony. That's just a fantasy.
the "city on the hill" metaphor for the US project didn't "come later," it was first used by john winthrop in 1630 in reference to the puritan settlements. again, whereas the mass bay colony was bankrolled by profit-seeking corporate structures, the actual colonists of that particular venture were motivated by visions of a theocratic puritan utopia.

the british crown's general motivations for colonization were partially treasure-seeking, but also to alleviate domestic turmoil by exporting some of the urban poor created by early industrialization/enclosures, and to maintain regional military power in ongoing contests with the European nations.

one primary motivation that the british government and colonists did *not* have was native genocide. colonialist aims depended on native displacement, but not eradication. indian tribes remained important, strong, and influential political players throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. even if their eradication had been desired (which no doubt it was by some, but by no means all, colonial organizations/individuals), it was not possible. thus meeting colonial aims *depended on* creating a considerable degree of "harmony" (in your words) between the white and indian communities.

the story you are telling contains a lot of truth, you're just overselling it. i think your claims reflect moreso your contemporary political commitments than the historical situation.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:15 PM   #69
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

copy wikipedia much?

Old 03-31-2023, 07:16 PM   #70
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Cause this thread is about MY Ancestors and how fucked up they are

Old 03-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #71
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

My grandparents were at the "first" thanksgiving so fuck off. LOL

Old 04-02-2023, 01:27 AM   #72
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I found another Mayflower ancestor. Thomas Rogers. Again i descend from him through my one English grandparent. I am descended from Thomas through his son, John. Through John's daughter, Abigal, who married John richmond. John and Abigail's son Joseph had a daughter named Mary, who in turn married a man named William Reed. The Reed line eventually Joined my grandfather's line (my surname) via marriage to my 4th Great Grandfather, who was born in Vermont.

Quote:
Thomas Rogers (c. 1571 – January 11, 1621) was a Leiden Separatist who traveled in 1620 with his eldest son Joseph as passengers on the historic voyage of the Pilgrim ship Mayflower.

Thomas Rogers was a signatory to the Mayflower Compact, but perished in the winter of 1620/21. His son Joseph, who at the age of 17 had travelled with Thomas on the Mayflower but had been too young to sign the Mayflower Compact, survived to live a long life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas...ower_passenger)

Old 04-02-2023, 02:41 AM   #73
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Here's a bit of a crazy story from my genealogy.

Henry Axtell is my 9th great grandfather. He lived in Massachusetts, and in 1676 he was killed during "king phillips war", which was a war between English colonists and the Indigenous people of New England. It was the most destructive war in New England history. the Majority of the English towns in New England were destroyed. And in the end the English crippled the Indigenus resistance. Henry's death may have made him a martyr in 1670s New England. But Henry's extremist Puritan family was already infamous back in England.

Henry Axtell's Uncle was Col.Daniel Axtell. Daniel Axtell was a key figure during the English Civil War. He was a Cromwell supporter who oversaw the trial and execution of Charles I. After Charles II regained the monarchy at the end of the English Civil War, Daniel was hanged, drawn, and quartered (1660) for the Regicide of King Charles I.
My great uncle Daniel has an extensive Wiki page with the details regarding the trouble he got himself into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Axtell

Old 04-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #74
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

snakenborg?

Old 04-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #75
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
snakenborg?

Snakenborg coat of arms

Old 04-02-2023, 08:33 PM   #76
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Old 04-02-2023, 09:48 PM   #77
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Maybe i should get the Snakenborg coat of arms tattooed on my body

Old 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM   #78
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

while i've been able to find quite a few of my English ancestors, going back as far as the 900s, that's only 1/8th of my family tree. I've also been able to find quite a few ancestors in my Swedish, Frisian, and Danish branches. But I have a few others that have been difficult to research.

I've been stumped by the German branches of my family tree. 3 of my great grandparents were German. I've traced two of them to a ancestors directly preceding the generation that immigrated to the United States, but no farther back than that. So far i've been unable to locate the 3rd branch in Germany. I have their immigration date, name of the ship they came over on, etc. But I hit brick walls when I dig farther than that.

The line that's been the most difficult is named Urban. While not an unusual name here in the States, it's also not common. I've found it's very uncommon in Germany. The name doesn't pop up much in German/Prussian databases. My first gen ancestors with the durname Urban appear to have been married when they came over. And throughout their long lives in the United States they ALWAYS listed their place of birth as Black Forest, Sachsen, Allgemeine. Which makes no sense. Mainly because Black forest (whether you mean the town/city or the actual forest) is not in Sachsen. And Allgemaine means common or general. And I can't find records of their birth or marriage in either Black forest or Sachsen.

The other one really stumping me is the name Engel. Which is rather common in Germany. But I simply cannot connect my first gen ancestor by that name to their parents in Germany.

The third is the name Schild, which i THINK i've traced two generations back into Germany (prior to immigration). But then it just stops. I think this part of my family was moving around a lot between the 1700s and mid 1800s. Which would be unusual. But there was a lot of upheaval at that time in Germany from shifting boarders, industrialization, wars, etc. I think the spelling of the name may have morphed as well.

Germany kept very good census records going back hundreds of years, and EVERYONE prior to 1900 went to church. German churches kept maticulous records. In fact, the church would record when someone "arrived" at the parish, when they moved away, births, marriages, deaths, etc.

Despite all the German record keeping I can't find these ancestors in Germany and I'm stumped by all three German branches of my family.

These are my third great grandparents, Andrew Urban and Anna Heine. His name couldn't have been Andrew. That's simply not a german name. In fact the name German men used to go by in public was their middle name. There are ZERO men in German records named "Andrew" Urban. (i think it was actually August or Andreas... possibly Andreas August Urban.. but he dropped his first and middle it when he arrived, and took a more common English name instead). That's kind of weird, though, since a LOT of Germans came here in the 1800s. He lived in big german communities in the USA. All my other German ancestors kept their German names.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 04-03-2023 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #79
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

My 13th Great Grandfather and Grandmother Thomas Percy, 7th Earl and Anne Percy, Countess of Northumberland . Thomas's uncle, Henry Percy, was rumored to have had a romantic relationship with Anne Boleyn. His father, Sir Thomas Percy, was executed at Tyburn (2 June 1537) for rebelling against the Tudors.

Thomas was a devout Catholic during the reigns of Henry the VIII and Elizabeth I. In 1569 Thomas was a key figure in the "Rising of the North," a failed rebellion against Queen Elizabeth. Thomas fled to Scotland, where he was captured by the Earl of Morton. Eventually Thomas was sold back to London, and on 22 August 1572 was beheaded at a public execution on Pavement Street, refusing an offer to save his life by renouncing Catholicism.

The Countess Anne was allowed to exile herself mainland Europe. She spent the rest of her life involving herself in Catholic plots and maintaining contact with the other English Catholic exiles. In Ličge while living on a pension from King Philip II of Spain, she wrote Discours des troubles du Comte du Northumberland.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #80
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Old 04-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #81
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I found ancestors involved in the Salem Witch Trials!!

My 10th Great Grandparents, Richard Ingersoll and Ann (Agness) Langley were from Sandy Parish (Bedfordshire) England. Richard, Ann and their five children arrived in America at Plymouth, Massachusetts 15 May 1629 on board the ship "Mayflower". Richard Ingersoll was granted 80 acres of land on the east side of the Wooleston River and a two acre Salem Town lot. At this town lot site he operated a ferry across the North River. He also leased the Townsend Bishop farm for a number of years and shortly before he died purchased jointly with his son-in-law, William Haynes, the Weston Grant in Salem Village.

Richard & Ann's son, Nathaniel, my 9th great grand uncle, Operated an Inn in Salem, MA. The Inn and the Ingersoll name are closely linked to the Salem Witch Trials. Which you can read about at the link!

https://salemwitchmuseum.com/locatio...olls-ordinary/

Quote:
A short walk south down Centre Street from the site of the parsonage, at the corner of Hobart Street, is the site of Ingersoll’s ordinary (or tavern). Nathaniel Ingersoll was one of the most respected members of the Salem Village community. His tavern/inn was located at a bend on the Andover Road (today Centre Street), a convenient stop for travelers and a gathering center for the village. The earliest part of the building that stands here today was built circa 1670. According to historian Charles Upham, in 1692, the Ingersoll garden abutted the parsonage orchards. Upham also describes the Ingersoll property with a separate dwelling house from the ordinary, as well as the town’s watch house, where sentinels guarded against Native American attack. Ingersoll lived on this property for seventy years.

The first three to be accused of witchcraft in 1692 – Tituba, Sarah Osborne (alternate spellings Osburn, Osborn, Osbourne), and Sarah Good were scheduled to be examined here on March 1, but so many people turned up to witness the event that it had to be moved down the road to the meetinghouse to accommodate the crowd. Nevertheless, the attendees spent lots of money for tavern refreshments that day – on food, cider, and rum.
The Inn is still there in Salem today. I guarantee you that it is HAUNTED!

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 04-24-2023 at 02:28 PM.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #82
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

got my dna results.. no big surprises

Old 05-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #83
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

my ancestors in Sunne, Varmland, Sweden lived in that town for as far back as i've been able to trace them. Generation after generation. A few as far back as the 1300s. I match very closely with a lot of people living there today. I'm probably related to everyone in that town.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #84
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Remember Remember... my gunpowder plot family members!

Sir Christopher "Kit" Wright is my 12th great grandfather, through the English line of my family. Sir Christopher along with his brother John .....

"were members of the group of provincial English Catholics who planned the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605, a conspiracy to assassinate King James I by blowing up the House of Lords. Their sister married another plotter, Thomas Percy. Educated at the same school in York, the Wrights had early links with Guy Fawkes, the man left in charge of the explosives stored in the undercroft beneath the House of Lords. As known recusants the brothers were on several occasions arrested for reasons of national security. Both were also members of the Earl of Essex's rebellion of 1601."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_a...k)%20Wright%20

Old 11-03-2023, 12:58 AM   #85
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

It was an open secret in my family that my grand father (my father's father) was illegitimate. My great grandmother had a baby with someone named Bert, and that's where my grandfather came from. Somehow this occurred right in the middle of her 12 kids. The other 11 kids were fathered by her husband (who's surname i carry). This is obvious if you ever see a picture of my grandfather's family. All his siblings are short and scrawny. My grandfather was a foot tall than all of them, with wide shoulders.. He looked nothing like them.

Grandpa Bert (my biological great grandfather) died in the 60s. So i never met him. But my own father was named after him. And he would occasionally visit and spend time with my grandfather and my father (when my father was a child). All i was every told about Great grandpa Bert was that he was "a rich Polish guy".

Almost nobody is alive today who remembers important details about Grandpa Bert. None of my siblings or cousins knew his last name. My oldest sister thought his last name was Beaver. Bert Beaver. LOL

What i was able to figure out through DNA testing, was that grandpa Bert's surname was actually "Beaber". And I have many second cousins who descended from Bert Beaber's one legitimate daughter.

Great grandpa Beaber was from a German Family. His mother, though, was born in Poland and immigrated to North America in 1878. Johann Jacob Beaber was the first in the Beaber family to immigrate. He came to Pennsylvania in the 1750s from Hirschland, Bas-Rhin. He fought for the colonies in the Revolution. In each of the generations from Johann Jacob to Grandpa Bert, every single one of the Beaber men married German or Polish women. Pennsylvania was a destination for many German immigrants. And the Polish women I descend from were all from the Rhineland.

Almost all of the English ancestors i've mentioned in this thread are not my ancestors by blood. I carry an English surname, but my Grandfather was German. My DNA report shows nearly all my ancestry is Scandinavian and German.

I still have not found a photo of Great grandpa Beaber. But i did find a photo HIS Great Grandparents! Nathaniel and Elizabeth Beaber.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 11-03-2023 at 01:11 AM.