Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
James
Pledge

Arrow Linda Strawberry Information

So, I wasnt familiar with her accept for the fact that she sang To Shelia with the Pumpkins during their last show. Anyhow, tonight I was on the Pajo board reading all about the latest gossip and I somehow ended up over at her official site. Anyhow, I thought you all would like to read about her and her relationship with the Pumpkins/Zwan/Billy, because I found it very interesting. A lot of mentioning of recordings I wish I had my hands on. Anyhow, here it is...

----------------------
"well it all started when i was working with the amazing bjorn thorsrud, who was fresh off of recording machina.. the last smashing pumpkins record. he came out to salt lake to record some demo's with me. i was just barely eighteen.
(bjorn is amazing)
i met billy shortly after when the pumpkins did an instore. i made friends with him over the months.. i was at the chateau marmont after he did that interview on kroq where he announced the pumpkins breakup.. he had a piano in his room and that was the first time he helped me on a song.... skip forward to november
i went out for the last pumpkins show at the metro. the night before, when they were rehearsing, billy asked me to sing with him on "to sheila" on a whim. i was terrified, and more excited than i had ever been. it was me, the frogs, and the band. after we rehearsed billy was off to the side signing things and i shyly went up to him and said.. "are you sure you want me to sing on that?" he looked me dead in the eyes and said "i dont like insecure people" .. i never questioned him again.
that night i was terrified. i drank my first bloody mary. i had never been around famous people. i was very shy.. and when i went on stage i was shaking like a leaf.. billy introduced me as linda strawberry from romania.. and i couldnt hear myself in the monitors at all.. i just saw a sea of faces and felt electricity down to my toes. i think i stood too close to billy.. but i was terrified. ha. that was an INCREDIBLE show. it was very emotional. i felt unbelievably lucky to have been there.
fast forward>>>>>
after the pumpkins were over billy decided to come out to experiment in salt lake city where bjorn and i were. so, while he started to try to find a new direction i hung out and watched and learned. bon harris was also there (formerly of nitzer ebb, and who also had worked on the pumpkins record "adore"). so bon and i set up downstairs and started to find a new direction. i also had the direction of billy and bjorn. i just didnt know what i was gonna do. those songs turned out amazing.. but they werent quite right. so i kept on writing.. i wrote a couple of songs with billy, and others he just gave me guidance on. one day when i walked into the studio i saw a paper with the word ZWAN written on it in different fonts. shortly after, matt sweeney and jimmy chamberlain also came out and started to play together on some of billy's new songs. marianne faithfull and francois ravard also came out to finish vocals on the songs billy produced for her last record "kissing time" (<---so good!) my first time playing "with" a band was when billy, matt, jimmy, and i accompanied marianne in a version of "love and money". i was freaking out. i was so excited. i was just a random girl from mormon utah all of the sudden thrown in with these amazing musicians. marianne would tell us stories about her past with the beatles and the rolling stones ect. it was awesome.
that was a very formative month for me. i remember one night in particular when i was driving marianne back to her hotel, when she told me things that changed my life. she basically told me not to be afraid to go completely with my heart, and to have courage about leaving my family and my religeon and my security to chase my dreams...
i also remember one night in particular when we all went to a local club liquid joe's where neil (an assistant at the studio)'s band was playing, royal bliss. billy got up there with matt jimmy and bjorn and did a version of "a whole lotta love" . while i was standing there i made the decision that this was what i wanted to do my whole life.
fast forward>>
when billy decided to go back to chicago he asked me if i would come out for a few weeks and play on some songs for a soundtrack. that ended up being SPUN. it was me, matt, and billy. we just went in learned a song in about an hour and did only a couple of takes and moved on. that was so intense.. and amazing. we did so many songs in such a short period of time. one of them i remember the most was "love to love" a UFO song. billy said he wanted me to sing it and played it a few times. after i did one run through take of it he wouldn't let me do it again.. and that is what they ended up using.
during that time we also did demo's of songs for zwan. it was a major learning experience for me. also, i played on the last bozo the clown show with billy. that was really fun."

http://djali.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1029
------------------

anyhow, she has an official site now at http://www.lindastrawberry.com/

also, i find it wierd that her message board address has "djali" in it. why the hell would she use that if djali has disbanded.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 AM   #2
mistle
bonnie stars

Thumbs up

very interesting. thanks for posting

Old 04-01-2004, 04:52 AM   #3
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by James
"kissing time" (<---so good!)
I am just wondering if she's ever listened to that record, since it's HORRIBLE. .

Old 04-01-2004, 05:55 AM   #4
Diamond Dream
Ownz

Default Re: Linda Strawberry Information

Quote:
also, i find it wierd that her message board address has "djali" in it. why the hell would she use that if djali has disbanded.
her message board is the former www.djalizwan.com board

Old 04-01-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
Liquid-J
keeping it to a dull roar

her real last name is rowberry, right? she was a mormon? and billy's 'i don't like insecure people' quote is more than a tad hypocritical, yes? that was cool though, thanks.

Last edited by Liquid-J : 04-01-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Liquid-J

Thumbs up

her site has a cool design. woah, this chick is awesome! 'first time i got drunk, first kiss, first high heels, etc.' hot too!

Old 04-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #7
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Unhappy

I heard she broke up Zwan.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
Liquid-J

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead
I heard she broke up Zwan.
then she should be nominated for a nobel prize.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Arrow

I really did hear that. But I don't know if it's true.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Liquid-J

i wonder if billy will call her immoral too: http://www.lindastrawberry.com/art15.html

haha!

Old 04-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
guz
El Gringo Mexicano

i met her and bjorn a few years ago at the El Rey, though I can't remember if I was there to see Death Cab or Remy Zero.

she was fucking wasted, they were having a 'good time'.

but anyhow, broke up zwan? ha!

Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
Diamond Dream
Ownz

Quote:
I really did hear that. But I don't know if it's true.
hum.. you should post a thread about it on her message board to see what's up with that!

i think it's bs but who knows

Old 04-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
Diamond Dream
Ownz

What do you guys think about the songs??

http://www.lindastrawberry.com/media

Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking Re: Linda Strawberry Information

Quote:
he looked me dead in the eyes and said "i dont like insecure people"
Dr Billy - Psychotherapist

Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 PM   #15
pumpkingrrrl
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: Re: Linda Strawberry Information

Quote:
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Dr Billy - Psychotherapist
i could totally see billy as a therapist

Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 PM   #16
mydogrocks
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Dream
What do you guys think about the songs??

http://www.lindastrawberry.com/media
Pretty cool

Tori Amo-ish

I didn't know Billy smoked

Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 AM   #17
James
Pledge

The thing is, I dont usually enjoy female singers but she has something that makes her stand out in her sound...I like it. I can see her becoming popular in the near future. She is cute too.

Dead...As for her being the reason Zwan broke up...explain.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:18 AM   #18
tootsie
Minion of Satan

Default Re: Linda Strawberry Information

Quote:
i also remember one night in particular when we all went to a local club liquid joe's where neil (an assistant at the studio)'s band was playing, royal bliss. billy got up there with matt jimmy and bjorn and did a version of "a whole lotta love" . while i was standing there i made the decision that this was what i wanted to do my whole life.

i was there. i met billy jimmy linda et all outside liquid joes. he sang other songs too. thats not her whole relationship with billy. it was supposed to be more. she was supposed to sing in the band. sh was really pissed about it for a long while.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:35 AM   #19
Isle
Braindead

Thumbs up

wow, lucky girl. thankee

Old 04-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
Nico
Pledge

those songs are not good.
boring. don't seem to really go anywhere.
she doesn't really have a rock n roll voice.
though i liked the piano one she put up long long time ago on her old site, "fade".

Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #21
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Talking

I don't want to explain because it could be BS and I don't want to look stupid. I also don't remember whether I told the person I wouldn't tell or not.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #22
James
Pledge

Quote:
I don't want to explain because it could be BS and I don't want to look stupid. I also don't remember whether I told the person I wouldn't tell or not.
Now that you have stated that the info you have may just be bullshit, why dont you post it anyway. You could always just explain it in a way where you are unsure and make it blatant that it may not be the truth. If you won't post the info, at least tell us the source so I can go ask them.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #23
Junebug
Minion of Satan

thanks for posting that. I'm jealous hahah. She has a nice voice I think, but the music doesn't do much for me. I had no idea she was that young either. I feel like such an underachiever.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:23 PM   #24
Liquid-J

i decided i want her for my new girlfriend.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #25
sphere
Demi-God

is she still with bjorn?

i really liked her singing on Love to Love, but her own songs are not that good. hopefully her songwriting will get better, cuz she has a beautiful voice and she is pretty.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #26
Diamond Dream
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid-J
i decided i want her for my new girlfriend.
over my dead body!

Old 04-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #27
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Arrow

It had something to do with Billy wanting Linda but Linda went for Pajo instead and then Paz also wanted Pajo but he refused so there was this 4 way BS going on. SUPPOSEDLY. Could be totally fake. Just something someone told me. Also Billy cheated with Linda so Yelena dumped him. Pre-Zwan I guess. At storytellers billy was all moping about it.

To the person who told me, I don't think you even read this board but if you do, I don't think you told me not to tell that part.

Okay I officially declare that I shouldn't look like an idiot because I'm not saying I think it's true, I'm just telling it cause you guys were pressing me on it.

So that's the general idea of what I heard.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #28
Liquid-J

Red face

juicy

Old 04-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #29
Gary
Demi-God

OMG Drama. Waiting patiently for Billys livejournal rant on the subject.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #30
Aneeah
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
It had something to do with Billy wanting Linda but Linda went for Pajo instead and then Paz also wanted Pajo but he refused so there was this 4 way BS going on. SUPPOSEDLY. Could be totally fake. Just something someone told me. Also Billy cheated with Linda so Yelena dumped him. Pre-Zwan I guess. At storytellers billy was all moping about it.
you're probably right about it not being true... part of this whole drama/mess/story doesn't make sense. Paz and Matt were very much together during the recording of mary and the early tour in april 2002. I remember reading some post by a fan saying that they ran into Paz and Matt at an april 2002 show and they were holding hands. the fan asked if they were going out, and matt said "yes". and during a hideout show they were all kissy kissy. So i don't know about Paz wanting to go after Pajo. part of that whole story sounds made up.