Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 AM   #1
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Billy meets D'arcy - whats the deal here. Dan Reed Network or John Busher Access

two names given. kinda feel like john busher access is not real (from graceful swans of never doc). dan reed network is named as the band billy and d'arcy were arguing about in the 1995 mtv rockumentary and elsewhere. anybody know the deal. also, other holes in the d'arcy/billy meeting - what the fuck is their dynamic. billy is more reverent and respectful of d'arcy than any other woman in his life other than his mother. even during and post drugs.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
Order 66
Socialphobic

i always thought it was irrelevent.. they were both chicago 'scenesters' at that time so it could've been anybody

though it always seemed like a weird story and i question the veracity of it all. like she couldn't even play a note in audition and he was like its cool you're in. you could argue he just wanted a chick bassist but i'd imagine there were others in his circle to choose from. whatevs

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy always had a crush on her, she went with James instead, which led to their resentment of each other. That's why he always tried to protect her but when she fucked up he kicked her out and then did the whole "she's a crazy bitch" thing that insecure guys do. Seriously, watch how he acts all giggly around her in interviews around the time of 94 and it's obvious

Old 01-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://luxuryhomebuilder.us/blow-up-...ictures-31.jpg

Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
Billy always had a crush on her, she went with James instead, which led to their resentment of each other. That's why he always tried to protect her but when she fucked up he kicked her out and then did the whole "she's a crazy bitch" thing that insecure guys do. Seriously, watch how he acts all giggly around her in interviews around the time of 94 and it's obvious
I ship Barcy

Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Where are you getting that she couldn't play in her audition?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Where are you getting that she couldn't play in her audition?
as far as I remember, in d'arcy's bio on the spfreaks website it says how she was allegedly so nervous when she had to audition she couldn't even hold her bass, but billy "though she was nice" and she joined the band.
I read it on the aforementioned website, although I have no idea where they got this info from.

I think they also quoted a d'arcy interview where she said how she originally wanted to join billy's band because he wanted somebody to write songs with, but when she came to his house he just gave her like 50 tapes of his songs that she needed to learn first and that's pretty much the end of it.

EDIT:
here's that article: http://spfreaks.wordpress.com/2013/0...darcy-wretzky/

Last edited by panda show : 01-10-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
panda show
Ownz

she co-wrote daughter. although nobody knows what part of the song she actually wrote.. I know the bass line really stands out in that song though.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

I mean didn't she write all the basslines as the band was developing each song?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
panda show
Ownz

no? I think billy mostly wrote whole songs (including basslines) before presenting them to the rest of the band.. at least that's what it seems.
of course parts of the songs get changed/modified during rehearsals, that's a normal thing.
I'm guessing there probably were songs that were written during jam sessions, but none of us actually know how involved the other band members were in the writing process.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
dodoz
Demi-God

She played decent bass on her first show with the Pumpkins. I read somewhere that she was really nervous. How long was it after they met ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRwBW-kIRds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0DDC4BIJVg

Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
she co-wrote daughter. although nobody knows what part of the song she actually wrote.. I know the bass line really stands out in that song though.
Wow, she did ? I love that song!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
She played decent bass on her first show with the Pumpkins. I read somewhere that she was really nervous. How long was it after they met ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRwBW-kIRds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0DDC4BIJVg
god does that show sounds awful

I think that was only a few months after billy and d'arcy met.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I mean didn't she write all the basslines as the band was developing each song?
Wait are you being serious with this question?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
washer
Pledge

golden era, he says

Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
as far as I remember, in d'arcy's bio on the spfreaks website it says how she was allegedly so nervous when she had to audition she couldn't even hold her bass, but billy "though she was nice" and she joined the band.
I read it on the aforementioned website, although I have no idea where they got this info from.

I think they also quoted a d'arcy interview where she said how she originally wanted to join billy's band because he wanted somebody to write songs with, but when she came to his house he just gave her like 50 tapes of his songs that she needed to learn first and that's pretty much the end of it.

EDIT:
here's that article: http://spfreaks.wordpress.com/2013/0...darcy-wretzky/
Being nervous doesn't mean she is unable to play. Billy could have easily put MADM in the band instead of shipping her to courtney love if he didn't think d'arcy was more than boobs.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Lord no. Billy did all that in the studio. She might have done some stuff on MCIS and Adore but I think that's it.
No she played on sd, she got to play luna. She quit the band because billy wouldn't let her play on the album. And butch vig had to go and bring her back because billy still wanted her in the band. The deal was she played luna on the album.

Thats why for mcis, james and darcy got their own recording area. Didn't stop bill from over dubbing them but they were on that album as well.

I wonder if jeff is actually on mtae. Or if the final is actually billy.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #18
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
No she played on sd, she got to play luna. She quit the band because billy wouldn't let her play on the album. And butch vig had to go and bring her back because billy still wanted her in the band. The deal was she played luna on the album.

Thats why for mcis, james and darcy got their own recording area. Didn't stop bill from over dubbing them but they were on that album as well.

Haha goddamn I never knew it was this bad

Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
panda show
Ownz

and by the way - to answer and clear up the question that was stated in the first post:

this interview from 1991 clears it all up. don't know how many of you have listened to it. but it's pretty interesting. one of the rare SP interviews where they sound like they're friends and they're having fun. the interview starts at 3:40 (the radio host is talking before that) and they talk about billy meeting d'arcy around the 4:30 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGh08hGsfqg

Old 01-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
brutechinasky
Demi-God

Quote:

He let mike play on an album. He clearly doesn't give a fuck anymore.
Wouldn't be surprised if the shredder played most of the guitars

Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #21
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
and by the way - to answer and clear up the question that was stated in the first post:

this interview from 1991 clears it all up. don't know how many of you have listened to it. but it's pretty interesting. one of the rare SP interviews where they sound like they're friends and they're having fun. the interview starts at 3:40 (the radio host is talking before that) and they talk about billy meeting d'arcy around the 4:30 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGh08hGsfqg
Similar to what I always heard. I don't know what seems so weird about their meeting. Sounds true to me.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 AM   #22
Modern90's
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
Haha goddamn I never knew it was this bad
He obsessed over it bieng perfect and then only way it would be perfect is if he dubbed over the parts Darcy and James played. They were basically part of the band when they toured in Billy's eyes.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #23
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

So sad I can't quote this anymore

"JAMES IHA GET YOUR HOT SUSHI ROLL IN MY MOUTH!"

Old 01-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #24
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:

Control freaks.

I read Mccartney would rerecord the drum parts when no one else was around and Ringo would pretend not to notice. He also told eveyrone what to play on his songs and then when it came time to record the other guys songs, he still would try to tell them what they should play.

i understand though, i'd probably be this way.

But it must be insufferable to be the other people in the band. Guys like this should just have hired hands.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #25
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
But it must be insufferable to be the other people in the band. Guys like this should just have hired hands.
Yeah, that turned out great for SP.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #26
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not really curious about their meeting so much (Burt's post is on the money), but about the name of the band they were arguing about. Dan Reed Network or John Busher Access.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #27
panda show
Ownz

it's dan reed network

Old 01-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #28
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Sadly the lyrics are on par with Billys more recent output.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #29
slunken
Virgo

You can tell they were up together by a label by the way they jump around on stage

Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
bye june
Ownz

I jump around on stage and I wasn't put together by a record company.