Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #31
T&T
Socialphobic

lucky 12 now.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 AM   #32
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rens View Post
Weren't they recording an album?
All I see is shitty vinyl releases and a madame lulu website that barely works on mobile that sells jazz records.

What the hell happened to them being in the studio?
Billy is actually a pretty savvy businessman. There's a concept called Harvesting as part of the business life cycle. It's where you double down on your declining customer base (fan base in this case), who have stuck around till the end because they're hardcore and will keep buying stuff. So you market limited editions that are high margin products to extend the life/viability of your business/product.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:31 AM   #33
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater-Tater-Tot View Post
New album is still being mixed, he just hasn't been updating the fans on it. B also enlisted a certain producer to come in to help "polish" the songs so that's why he's been quiet about it as of recent. That's all I know in that department.

The Machina reissue was completed after Christmas, and everything has been signed off on it but there were some issues with the artwork (big shocker) and it was essentially put on hold until he decided to announce one day that everything was complete. Originally he tried to get it released this summer, but that changed to February of next year instead assumingly to coincide with the original album release.

Neither of these projects have been shelved necessarily, they're just taking a long time to get released and as with anything B is trying to maximize all profits to fullest extent to keep his shitty tea shop and wrestling business padded with as much cash as possible.

Source: I was recently dismissed from the archive team because my "input was too negative".

All I've done is simply relay the very same concerns and frustrations that all of you have been since the Japan pre-order. Part of this job was to monitor social media and "keep our ears to the ground" on feedback.

Furnace is a great company, lovely people working there- but they sent out two separate batches of defective Japan albums that either skip like crazy on a few songs, or shipped with two "sideA/B" records.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if many of you have Japan pressings that you're keeping sealed as a collectors item and have no idea it's defective.

Initially I was pretty stoked to be a part of this, but it wasn't a "team" at all. B has assembled a random few people to vote on whatever he feels like pulling from the archives. The only feedback or ideas he or his wife are interested in are ones that make more profit.

This experience has made it quite hard to enjoy SP, and seeing how these releases are being treated as a cash grab for B's tea shop gets under my skin pretty bad.
Best post made here in forever, but sadly confirms what we all know about B. I don't think many Netphorians, if any, are buying these dumb ass reissues.

Gyang333 says Bill is a savvy business man because he knows about harvesting... well, no. Bill is a dumb-as-fuck business man because he is sitting on the legacy of one of the biggest 90's bands and not only was he unable to maintain that momentum because of his own egotistical indulgent fantasies about being a producer, poet, virtuoso singer, industry strategist, wrestling mogul and tea shop proprietor, not only has he has failed to capitalise on pop culture cycles and keep Classic Pumpkins relevant with a steady dripfeed of 90's era recordings, box sets and curated, unreleased material. His definition of what he thinks is valuable to release is based on factors which the listener does not give a shit about, and we have known for 25 years that there are live shows and unreleased material which are top tier, and the mainstream have never heard, which could have been put out as annual releases or even dropped on bandcamp as digital only to gain critical attention and new fans. Not only all of that, but he has cheapened the brand MAGA style with horrible merchandising and focusing on ripping off / taking advantage of a small number of un-discerning lowest common denominator fans. He alienated most people he ever worked with, refuses to play ball with many in the industry, he just wants everything on his terms and doesn't want anyone else to earn a dime in the process. Also... regarding the critical reception of his work since TFE.... so few people paid attention to it, he could salvage most of that material by re-recording live versions with Jimmy and James in a room together. The biggest problem has been the production and vocals. After Zeitgeist (maybe Oceania) it's clear his view of the purpose of the band changed, and as you say it's just something he uses now and then to top up the finances for his other ventures. The albums are phoned in... I liked Cyr but it was essentially a side project cos Bill fancied playing with synths.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 04-10-2022 at 04:59 AM.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:36 AM   #34
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Great post, always interesting to have a look behind the curtain. Are they doing anything with these defective records or just not bothering? Replacements should be sent out but I'm not sure the Zuzus operation will fancy that

Old 04-10-2022, 06:54 AM   #35
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I mean, I'm not saying Tot is lying but I doubt he can profit enough from a 600 copies project that comes out every, what?, 6 months?, to keep both his tea shop and wrestling company. At this point I wouldn't doubt it's the other way around.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:40 AM   #36
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I mean, I'm not saying Tot is lying but I doubt he can profit enough from a 600 copies project that comes out every, what?, 6 months?, to keep both his tea shop and wrestling company. At this point I wouldn't doubt it's the other way around.
They're sold via the Zuzus site so classed as tea shop income, which is used to prop up the business. He's not using the lucrative tea market to keep his Pumpkins archive business afloat.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #37
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater-Tater-Tot View Post
Source: I was recently dismissed from the archive team because my "input was too negative"...
This was essentially the same vibe as 10 years ago.
When people started thinking about the archive project criticality -I don't mean negatively - he seemed incapable of discerning the difference. Almost anything that was said to sense check certain aspects were dismissed as "negativity".
I find it fascinating that he still only wants to be surrounded by 'yes men', though I'm not surprised.
I am certainly not surprised that the main driver is the money - He clearly wasted far too much on the wrestling and the tea house.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #38
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

How can we know if this guy is honest and not trolling around.

Why does he call him B? Is he afraid of the fbi?

If that is true, it is proof that he just wants to make profit.... He knows that those sadmachines and hated netphorians would buy anything ni matter how bad or how overpriced it is.

Are jimbo and james involved and getting money from that bootleg sales?
Or does only barcy get the money?

Fucking capitalist talking about spuritual journeys yoga and shit. Fake

Old 04-10-2022, 08:18 AM   #39
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
They're sold via the Zuzus site so classed as tea shop income, which is used to prop up the business. He's not using the lucrative tea market to keep his Pumpkins archive business afloat.
No autograph copy: $80 X 400 = $32k
Autograph copy: $180 X 200 = $36k
TOTAL = $68k

And that's not the total profit (I've no idea what's the cost to produce them). If Billy was really trying to use the band to support his teahouse and wrestling company, he would definitely need to sell more copies, and more frequently.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:36 AM   #40
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Can you get a coffee in Zuzu's?

Old 04-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #41
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

A mushroom coffee. Cause Billy doesn't deal with the 3 C's: cocaine, coffee, cigarettes

Old 04-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #42
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Madame Lulu's is either a financially stable business or it must cost so little to mantain he's willing to keep it as a vanity project/multi-purpose platform.

Vinyl archives are probably the most lucrative thing going on in SP land right now, do you think he'd use it to pay some barista to stay at the cafe all day doing nothing? Remember the webmaster guy getting fired?

"It’s a results-oriented business"

Old 04-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #43
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

This guy owns around 60 million dollars... So getting 68000 minus costs...

Old 04-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #44
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I know google says Billy has a net worth of 50 million, but that doesn't mean he has 50 million or anything close to it.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #45
T&T
Socialphobic

those unsold Siddartha boxsets are easily worth half of those 50million.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #46
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone around here said it's 1000+500, It makes for a respectable $170k/batch.

3 archive edition? it's around $500k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I know google says Billy has a net worth of 50 million, but that doesn't mean he has 50 million or anything close to it.
Exactly. He's rich but 18-room lakefront mansions are expensive.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #47
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Surely the accumulative sales of Shiny 1 and Cyr would've swelled the coffers by now??

Old 04-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #48
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
FINALLY this is all making sense. great post

Quote:
No autograph copy: $80 X 400 = $32k
Autograph copy: $180 X 200 = $36k
TOTAL = $68k

And that's not the total profit (I've no idea what's the cost to produce them). If Billy was really trying to use the band to support his teahouse and wrestling company, he would definitely need to sell more copies, and more frequently.
68k isn't nothing. plus ZZs has like 4/5 stars on google, i imagine it's doing decently enough. maybe he just shits out an archive release whenever it has a bad quarter

also i feel obliged to add, banging my head against the wall about this point again and again - he'd make a ton more selling digital copies without any sort of limitation. infinite units == theoretically infinite profit

Old 04-11-2022, 12:34 AM   #49
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Meanwhile, RHCP who are much older than SP just put out a pretty good album, and SP hasn't had a good album since the year 2000 lol

Old 04-11-2022, 12:35 AM   #50
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
FINALLY this is all making sense. great post

68k isn't nothing. plus ZZs has like 4/5 stars on google, i imagine it's doing decently enough. maybe he just shits out an archive release whenever it has a bad quarter

also i feel obliged to add, banging my head against the wall about this point again and again - he'd make a ton more selling digital copies without any sort of limitation. infinite units == theoretically infinite profit
nope that's too high-tech for SP and their aging fan base.

it would never work.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #51
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Madame Lulu's is either a financially stable business or it must cost so little to mantain he's willing to keep it as a vanity project/multi-purpose platform.

Vinyl archives are probably the most lucrative thing going on in SP land right now, do you think he'd use it to pay some barista to stay at the cafe all day doing nothing? Remember the webmaster guy getting fired?

"It’s a results-oriented business"
I remember an interview from 2012/2013 where he off handedly mentioned Madame ZuZu's had been in the red since he opened it and he essentially ran it out of his pocket. This was back when it was still at the old location.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #52
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Meanwhile, RHCP who are much older than SP just put out a pretty good album, and SP hasn't had a good album since the year 2000 lol
Their album also sounds pretty much the same as Californication and BTW. They didn't decide to record a concept album using an obscure theme and then mix it so John Frusciante is completely buried by Kiedis who is now making cat noises half the time cos that's what "pro singers" do.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #53
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
"Red Hot Chili Peppers: Unlimited Love review – bloated and self-indulgent"
The Guardian, 2 stars

Red Hot Chili Peppers review, Unlimited Love: Rock band’s batteries "have run out on this lifeless album"
Independent, 2 stars

"After more than a decade away, guitarist John Frusciante returns for the band’s first album in six years, a restrained and familiar effort to recapture an old spark in a new era. "
Pitchfork, 6.2

"Red Hot Chili Peppers – Unlimited Love: Formulaic, bland, appalling"
The Irish Times, 1 Star

Old 04-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #54
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

the newer SP albums have been getting similar reviews, except the Netpho-equivalent of RHCP fans actually enjoy that new one & we still have the majority of folks in here who'd agree the past decade of "SP" output has been, putting it kindly, disposable

that last word being the same one i'd use to describe how Billbo's been treating his fans. & on a financial level, maybe he's right. but this is probably the most important thing here & seems to play pretty directly into the shit "they" put out

Old 04-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #55
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

& if you really wanted to "go that route" you could find similarly scathing reviews on the best of either bands' discogs

i seem to remember a particularly unhappy william in the late 90s on account of what one of the biggest publications in his own hometown had to say about SD - if i pull 3 more & then 4 glowing reviews for Californication, would that make you wanna finally change this place to an RHCP board?

no, i think in your hearts you know that nothing the big bad world has to say about our beloved Two Gallants could ever change that

Old 04-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #56
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
"Red Hot Chili Peppers: Unlimited Love review – bloated and self-indulgent"
The Guardian, 2 stars

Red Hot Chili Peppers review, Unlimited Love: Rock band’s batteries "have run out on this lifeless album"
Independent, 2 stars

"After more than a decade away, guitarist John Frusciante returns for the band’s first album in six years, a restrained and familiar effort to recapture an old spark in a new era. "
Pitchfork, 6.2

"Red Hot Chili Peppers – Unlimited Love: Formulaic, bland, appalling"
The Irish Times, 1 Star
I do not say the album rocks... But you took out some bad reviews, there are several reviews online where they get more respect. Take a look at pitchfork reviewing californication back then. I guess it was 6.2 but became one of the best albums in that decade. Bitchfork wtf...

At least chilis try to please their fanbase , besides frusciante is all over the album. Kidies never was a good lyricist or singer. On the other hand we have bill who isnt willing to please his last remaining fans with typical pumpkins stuff, he changed his singing style and even his lyrics are completely forgettable. I do not have to talk about production or guitar interplay with james. Defacto james isnt present neither on shiny nor on cyr.

I do not wanna defend rhcp but at least they have a variety in sound and at the same time songs that could please old as new fans.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #57
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Like everything RHCP have done since Californication, it’s just garbage summer radio fodder but go off. Kiedis sings like a sailor in one song, imagine enjoying that unironically.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #58
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

singing like a sailor vs singing a song for a sailor

this parallel's grown closer than we even expected

Old 04-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #59
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
singing like a sailor vs singing a song for a sailor

this parallel's grown closer than we even expected
I’d take Keidis doing a pirate voice over WHATEVER. THE. FUCK. Bill has been doing to his voice in studio since 2003.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #60
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I remember an interview from 2012/2013 where he off handedly mentioned Madame ZuZu's had been in the red since he opened it and he essentially ran it out of his pocket. This was back when it was still at the old location.
The idea of him running an unprofitable business for ten years straight sounds insane but then again his recording career has been in the red for much longer than that, so...