Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Arrow Republicans didn't break rules with Mark Foley case . . .

Source: Leaders failed to protect teenage pages

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House ethics committee has found that Republican leaders did not break any rules in handling allegations against former Rep. Mark Foley, but that they were negligent in protecting the teenage pages, a congressional source said.

No one will be reprimanded, the source said.

The ethics committee plans to hold a news conference Friday on its investigation into Foley, whose alleged e-mail exchanges with former congressional pages prompted his resignation earlier this year, a congressman and a GOP aide said.

Chairman Doc Hastings, R-Washington, and a ranking Republican aide, confirmed the 2 p.m. news conference will address the Foley matter. Republican Foley, before he resigned after the scandal broke, was a congressman from Florida.

At question before the ethics panel is what and when Republican leaders knew about Foley's actions and how they reacted to the accusations once they surfaced.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert has urged the ethics committee investigators to work quickly to unravel the scandal.

Foley's former chief of staff, Kirk Fordham, told the ethics panel that at least three years ago, he asked top GOP aides, including Hastert's chief of staff, Scott Palmer, to intervene to stop Foley's inappropriate behavior.

Palmer denied Fordham's account.

Fordham also testified about an alleged episode several years ago in which Foley was accused of being drunk and trying to enter the page dormitory.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement also has opened a criminal investigation into Foley. (Full story)

Foley, a six-term congressman, resigned after his inappropriate Internet exchanges with young, male former congressional pages came to light. He then entered a rehabilitation facility for alcohol abuse.

One e-mail Foley allegedly sent urged a page to "strip down and get relaxed."

The instant message was apparently sent to Jordan Edmund, who was one of the former pages referred to in the ABC News report in September that triggered Foley's resignation.

In the message, the user Maf54, whom ABC News identified as Foley, asked the teen: "You in your boxers, too?"

The teen replied, "Nope, just got home. I had a college interview that went late."

"Well, strip down and get relaxed," Maf54 wrote back.

Edmund, who was 21 at the time the scandal broke, later worked on the staff of Republican Rep. Ernest Istook of Oklahoma.

Edmund's lawyer, Stephen Jones, said in October the contact between Foley and his client was minimal and there was no sexual contact between the two.

Foley's attorney, David Roth, has denied the former congressman ever engaged in sexual activity with minors.

Foley, who represented Florida's 16th District on the lower east coast, resigned September 29. His seat was taken by Democrat Timothy Mahoney in last week's midterm elections.

Foley announced in October he had been sexually molested as a boy by Roman Catholic priest Anthony Mercieca, who is retired and lives on the Maltese island of Gozo in the Mediterranean.

Mercieca admitted in media interviews he had encounters with Foley that could be perceived as sexually inappropriate but denied having sex with him.

Last edited by Aeroplane : 12-08-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Effloresce
Banned

This would've helped BEFORE the elections, lol

Old 12-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

probably not! they didn't protect the gay teens!!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Effloresce
Banned

Could've helped soften the blow, though.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

hahahahaaha

Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
rocksteady
Banned

Location: where the women have nothing on but the radio. turned up to ten. too loud for me to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
nice wording.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Effloresce
Banned

bo

Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

yarrrr!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
I doubt the high court of public opinion would have really cared about this.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
spank_thru101
Ownz

check out what wikipedia has to say about Mark Foley...not sure how long this will be up there so glance now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley

EDIT: Damn!!!Damn!!!Damn!!! 2 minutes after I posted this they changed it...no shit...the page was originally blank accept for the line "Mark Foley is a faggot"

Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #11
redbull
Immortal

its back