Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #4471
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Axolotl Overkill - 4/5
I have no idea what I just watched, this movieis weird af. But at the same time really magnetic and entertaining throughout. The Penguin scene was the fuccn best.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #4472
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Ready Player One - B+
Leary of any film my kids saw first and told me I had to see it, I reluctantly gave into Steven Spielberg's latest CGI vomitorium. It only took about 45 minutes to get over my own pretenses to enjoy the ride of a rather well-made Tron-meets-It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. A lot has already been said of the hundreds of 80s pop culture references that creates the fabric of the film, but what is interesting to me is the prediction that 2040 nerd culture will fetishise the 80s and 90s; people do that now with 60s and 70s, so why not? But anyways, if you strip all the dumb references away (many self-serving for Spielberg himself), the movie still stands on it's own. Not bad.

Inglourious Basterds - B-
Standard Quentin Tarantino period piece that predictably genre-benders -- in this case a Spaghetti Western that takes place in WWII. The only thing really new for Tarantino here is a goofy Brad Pitt who straddles charming and obnoxious. The rest is predictable for him: chapter subdivisions; time jumps and erratic cuts; anachronistic soundtrack; villains immensely more interesting and developed than heroes; all the interesting characters are killed halfway through the film anyways. And of course, the one thing that has bothered me since it was pointed out to me 20 years ago-- every fucking character speaks as if they were Quentin Tarantino himself. Is this vanity? Or does he not realize he's doing this? Regardless, high marks for literally scalping Nazis; not too high of marks for his typical non-ending that, this time around, is rather infuriating.

Last edited by soniclovenoize : 08-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #4473
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Axolotl Overkill - 4/5
I have no idea what I just watched, this movieis weird af. But at the same time really magnetic and entertaining throughout. The Penguin scene was the fuccn best.
My interest is piqued from the title alone.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #4474
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

not a movie but watch season 6 of orange is the new black. a truly good season, definitely in the top 50% of seasons. been so long between them i dont remember which is which but it was a good watch. 7.5/10

Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #4475
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

magic mike xxl i so amazing

and this is great, i need more drunk education in my life

Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #4476
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

OKJA - From the director of The Host and Snowpiercer. This movies pwns. Have to see to believe.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #4477
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

hereditary b+

i enjoyed this and might rank it higher with time, but i had a couple issues with it on first viewing. i love that it's a hollywood horror that relies on atmosphere rather than a cgi monster running around. not too many jumpscares. vibe reminded me of zulawski's possession, but with shades of the (original) wicker man.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:09 AM   #4478
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Axolotl Overkill - 4/5
I need to see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
OKJA - From the director of The Host and Snowpiercer. This movies pwns. Have to see to believe.
I need to see this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
hereditary b+

i enjoyed this and might rank it higher with time, but i had a couple issues with it on first viewing. i love that it's a hollywood horror that relies on atmosphere rather than a cgi monster running around. not too many jumpscares. vibe reminded me of zulawski's possession, but with shades of the (original) wicker man.
I need to see this

Old 08-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #4479
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Tusks - 2.5/5 Crazy dude turns Justin Long into a walrus named Mr. Tusks. It was pretty screwed up. Ending sucked.

Okja - 5/5 Genetically created "super pigs" that were distributed to various farmers around the world to raise. Girl raises this super pig and then they take it back - she fights to get Okja back leaving S.Korea to America. Really good all the way through. Highly Recommend.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #4480
FoolofaTook

yeah everyone should watch okja. and the breadwinner.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #4481
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

you're father is a breadwinner.

*eagerly awaits frantic laughter*

Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #4482
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

oh great now this post opened a new page. i just can't catch a fuckin break

Old 08-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #4483
FoolofaTook

not for me. i'm still on page 150.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #4484
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

A Quiet Place - this was some real stupid shit, I mean full retard plot. But mixed with some great acting and emotional truth about families and familial attachment, and communication and desperation. I’m gonna say a B-, for the things Krasinksi did right. If the story had been anything other than a pile of half baked undigested turds, this could have been really interesting. But I spent half the movie just going “Wait, what?” and that ruins anything for me.

Plus, the shit written on the whiteboard as an exposition device I mean, this is not a procedural crime show here, don’t bring that shit into monster movies. Tried and true device in this setting is crazy nerd consulting an ancient tome. If you’re gonna give us some incredible and barely conceived villain, you at least have to follow the trope enough to make it satisfying in other ways. I want my crazy nerd talking excitedly and revealing key information, and I want them now.

I’m not sure if he meant for the whiteboard to be a joke, or not. If not, this guy needs help with the next film. Hopefully there’s another Krasinksi brother who balance John out, because I feel like he’s halfway there. But for now, as a horror fan, I say a B-.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #4485
Cool As Ice Cream

Arrow

Quote:
not for me. i'm still on page 150.
this is page 113, dickhead.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #4486
FoolofaTook

what is even real

Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #4487
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Hereditary B+

Was really creeped out by this, though it sort of unravelled a bit by the end. I wish the plot had been a little more intentional. But mixing the terror of grief with the creepiness of haunting was really effective I thought.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #4488
FoolofaTook

yeah i just watched that the other day and it creeped me out when the mom was hovering up by the ceiling near the end.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #4489
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Hereditary B+

Was really creeped out by this, though it sort of unravelled a bit by the end. I wish the plot had been a little more intentional. But mixing the terror of grief with the creepiness of haunting was really effective I thought.
watched this last night too.
some exceptional moments in there. but really i wish the ending wasn't so full of shit.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #4490
yo soy el mejor

blackklansman

5/5

got real real there at the end

Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #4491
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
watched this last night too.
some exceptional moments in there. but really i wish the ending wasn't so full of shit.
yeah, anything that leaves me asking why? why? and has no possible satisfying answer triggers the PTSD from watching Lost right to the end. I'm right back in that moment, experiencing the disappointment and betrayal and contempt all over again

Old 08-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #4492
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
yeah i just watched that the other day and it creeped me out when the mom was hovering up by the ceiling near the end.
but stuff like this was well done, I thought. and the mouth noises. And the descent into madness of the mother, and the breakdown of her relationships with everyone else, I thought all of that was very well done.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #4493
FoolofaTook

why don't you guys like the ending then? i thought the whole witch thing was cool. maybe they didn't lead up to it as well as they should but it still worked.

i dunno maybe i am too uncritical.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #4494
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
yeah, anything that leaves me asking why? why? and has no possible satisfying answer triggers the PTSD from watching Lost right to the end. I'm right back in that moment, experiencing the disappointment and betrayal and contempt all over again
haha, that's a good comparison - because in both cases it seemed like they had some cool ideas and images and sequences in mind, but didn't quite know how to wrap it all up, so they came up with a BOOYA ending that's got references and nods to multiple previous moments of the film without ever really making any fucking sense. it certainly had potential to end much more strongly. but i did thoroughly enjoy a good 80% of it before that, though.

cinematography is outrageous, toni collette is fantastic, and some moments of it are so harrowing it feels like watching someone else's bad dream. like, it's got that G-force thing where it makes you feel like the ground is falling under your feet for a second. amazing stuff.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #4495
FoolofaTook

Old 08-30-2018, 04:10 AM   #4496
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

the \/\/itch or whatever
A-
i love this movie marvellous well and watch it too much. it's my new zodiac.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #4497
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I finally got around to seeing Trainspotting 2

Definitely a different tone from the first one, I'd read mixed reviews going into this and I guess it only makes sense not everyone would be down for the change - I enjoyed it on its own merits, given the nature of the characters (aside from Spud) this time around the emphasis was more on the heists than the heroin, tho there was of course a few flashbacks/relapses to that as well

Begbie was always kind of "the cunt" of the group, but having him be a flat-out antagonist in this one led to some pretty sorrowful moments later in the movie. Only watched once so far, Boyle did a great job of bringing that world into 2018, modern throwbacks to some of the first film's soundtrack was a nice touch. Gonna have to watch again a few more times since even after watching it I still can't quite believe there's a fuckin' sequel to Trainspotting now

Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #4498
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
haha, that's a good comparison - because in both cases it seemed like they had some cool ideas and images and sequences in mind, but didn't quite know how to wrap it all up, so they came up with a BOOYA ending that's got references and nods to multiple previous moments of the film without ever really making any fucking sense. it certainly had potential to end much more strongly. but i did thoroughly enjoy a good 80% of it before that, though.

cinematography is outrageous, toni collette is fantastic, and some moments of it are so harrowing it feels like watching someone else's bad dream. like, it's got that G-force thing where it makes you feel like the ground is falling under your feet for a second. amazing stuff.
I do love Toni collette. Every now and then I look at her and imagine Muriel’s Wedding, I can’t help it. But even doing that, she’s still fabulous in whatever she’s in.

Cinematography was stunning, and these of the miniatures really amazed me.

I think when so many elements are strong, as an audience we expect the ending to be strong too, not just visually, but in terms of the story having closure and being able to find some sort of meaning or premise in it. I know that filmmakers have shifted away from resolution as an aim of storytelling and I can appreciate that, too. But somehow it still feels very unsatisfying to me when there is a lot of mythology involved in the story but no resolution...because mythology is all about meaning and symbolism and resolution. Well, to me it is, anyway.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #4499
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Lady Bird - B+

solid little flick, didn't quite live up to the hype

Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #4500
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

rogue one
was very good yes