Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

i haven't seen this thread done before

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

welcome to 2009.
don't ever plan on seeing billy smiling again or james or darcy or jimmy looking like a tank
als i am dunk

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/50...g+Pumpkins.jpg

This band belonged to us...

Whatever they do now belongs to Billy alone.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan7733 View Post
i haven't seen this thread done before
It's good to do it again.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

i mean i guess i feel for ya though.
growing up with those 4 people and seeing these new people on stage under the same name playing the same songs must be weird. the good thing for me like, being younger and all, is that these new pumpkin members are my pumpkins. i'd be sad to see jeff and ginger and lisa go. but go on remembering the good ole days. its sad to think that you will never get em bakc. god i wish i woulda seen them in pittsburgh in 99 fuck my life

Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

but seriously, how awesome would it be for an arising type show with james and or darcy back. That would be so crazy. I give it another... 3-4 years

Old 02-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #11
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

don't judge me by these posts.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #12
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

i just feel bad for billy because no matter what they do, they seem to be always getting negative press and reviews. The band that they have now performs wonderfully, yet people always compare and contrast to the old band and the old ways and the old sets and the old everything. The guy is in a lose lose situation and i genuinely feel bad for him. no matter how hard he tries, 50% of his fan base, let alone the media, is here to bring him down.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

I think for those of us in the anti "new" pumpkins crowd, its mostly about not who is in the band, but they way it was done. If Billy came out and said he invited James/Darcy back and actually explained how it was done, then it would have been ok. Instead, he keeps quiet about it, James is quoted as saying he never talked to billy, Bill never mentions them, doesn't bother mentioning the new bandmates during the first shows, speaks badly about James/Darcy (we were 98% of the music anyway), complains about people asking him about James/Dracy, says that they were always "his" band, and that the band was always an "idea" and not the people in it (something like that), finally says that james was only interested in money and darcy wouldn't even talk to them (later on Jimmy says they both wouldn't even talk to them period , so which is it), and so on. I mean, dude just had to be up front from the start and not act like it was him, and him alone that got him to the top. No matter what, he fucked it up from the start, and his complete lack of respect for what James/Darcy help him achieve is what turn me away from the band for good. The fact the music wasn't good and that his lyrics seem to have gone downhill also didn't help.

I've talked this topic to death, but If Billy could have just shown a little more class, that would have gone a long way at the start. You don't see James/Darcy going out and talking shit, he shouldn't have either.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

ding ding. That sums it all up pretty perfectly.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

This thread has little to do with James and D'arcy. It has to do with a different type of band.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan7733 View Post
i just feel bad for billy because no matter what they do, they seem to be always getting negative press and reviews. The band that they have now performs wonderfully, yet people always compare and contrast to the old band and the old ways and the old sets and the old everything. The guy is in a lose lose situation and i genuinely feel bad for him. no matter how hard he tries, 50% of his fan base, let alone the media, is here to bring him down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty View Post
I think for those of us in the anti "new" pumpkins crowd, its mostly about not who is in the band, but they way it was done. If Billy came out and said he invited James/Darcy back and actually explained how it was done, then it would have been ok. Instead, he keeps quiet about it, James is quoted as saying he never talked to billy, Bill never mentions them, doesn't bother mentioning the new bandmates during the first shows, speaks badly about James/Darcy (we were 98% of the music anyway), complains about people asking him about James/Dracy, says that they were always "his" band, and that the band was always an "idea" and not the people in it (something like that), finally says that james was only interested in money and darcy wouldn't even talk to them (later on Jimmy says they both wouldn't even talk to them period , so which is it), and so on. I mean, dude just had to be up front from the start and not act like it was him, and him alone that got him to the top. No matter what, he fucked it up from the start, and his complete lack of respect for what James/Darcy help him achieve is what turn me away from the band for good. The fact the music wasn't good and that his lyrics seem to have gone downhill also didn't help.
I agree with a lot in both of these posts even though one was written by Esty. Corgan has obviously made some fundamental mistakes in the way he has gone about all this, but I still feel bad for him. If nothing else, he honestly is trying to be as good as the old Pumpkins. This band plays just as well as the old Pumpkins. I really like the new band members and even though James and D'arcy would have been preferable, I always knew it was unrealistic. The problem is I think that Corgan has decided to completely resist criticism because that is how he protected the band in the early days. He has completely written off fans who are unhappy and he doesn't see the delicate, grey issue here... not everyone who criticizes the band is an aging fanboy from the 90s, nostalgic for a fix of Siamese Dream. There are lots of us here who have legitimate criticisms of the band. I really don't understand wanting a fanbase all of gushing teenagers who want to read weekly essays on the band. I love the Smashing Pumpkins and I always will. I will always listen to something Corgan does with an open mind. I will always give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm too invested in SP to not. I really believe that he has more great records in him, but I am also fundamentally disappointed with the way the band has been handled since the reforming. Here he is sitting on songs like As Rome Burns and Song for a Son, and he has all these cool arrangements with brass and violin that could be molded into a new sound for the band, and he chooses to release a boring rehashed pop song called FOL in a Hyundai commercial.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Here he is sitting on songs like As Rome Burns and Song for a Son, and he has all these cool arrangements with brass and violin that could be molded into a new sound for the band, and he chooses to release a boring rehashed pop song called FOL in a Hyundai commercial.
You'll hear those songs recorded eventually. Didn't Billy say SFAS was as good as anything he's done?

On topic. Musically the band is great live nowadays. You would've never in a million years heard SP play Iron Maiden riffs back in the James Iha days. Having members who care about becoming the best musicians they can possibly be is a real plus for the band.

But Billy is quite out of it these days. He could finally write grandious guitar symphonies without the fear of his band not being able to execute them live. There's so much potential for the band, yet we're treated with GLOW and FOL. Desperately trying to score a hit. Let go, Bill. Deal with SP being a smaller band now and concentrate on writing the best music music you can possibly make. There's no fucking way he thinks FOL is on par with the level of quality SP's name used to stand for.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
You'll hear those songs recorded eventually. Didn't Billy say SFAS was as good as anything he's done?

On topic. Musically the band is great live nowadays. You would've never in a million years heard SP play Iron Maiden riffs back in the James Iha days. Having members who care about becoming the best musicians they can possibly be is a real plus for the band.

But Billy is quite out of it these days. He could finally write grandious guitar symphonies without the fear of his band not being able to execute them live. There's so much potential for the band, yet we're treated with GLOW and FOL. Desperately trying to score a hit. Let go, Bill. Deal with SP being a smaller band now and concentrate on writing the best music music you can possibly make. There's no fucking way he thinks FOL is on par with the level of quality SP's name used to stand for.
He said Zeitgeist was as good as Siamese Dream.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I've talked this topic to death, but If Billy could have just shown a little more class, that would have gone a long way at the start. You don't see James/Darcy going out and talking shit, he shouldn't have either.
you really couldn't have said that any better

Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
You Said
Apocalyptic Poster

REMEMBER POGS?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #21
Mo
Immortal

Thumbs up

Quote:

I don't know why this sounds strange to me coming from you, but yes - I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
He said Zeitgeist was as good as Siamese Dream.
I doubt he did, quote please. He DID say that Bleeding the Orchid could've been on Siamese Dream or something along those lines.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #23
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Man, who the fuck cares... James and Darcy stopped post-MCIS, really.

It is amazing the original four managed to tolerate each other for as long as they did. Really, it is, and they should all be commended for it if anything.

There's nothing wrong with what this board calls "SP2" if we are talking strictly personnel. Jeff especially is a nice addition to the band.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #24
Mayfuck
Banned

I don't even care about the old pumpkins anymore. That's how far removed I am from this bullshit.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #25
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

The band pictured is not the band now. If that's still your band, then you probably shouldn't be here.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #26
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
I doubt he did, quote please. He DID say that Bleeding the Orchid could've been on Siamese Dream or something along those lines.
I'm sure others here remember it. I don't know where he said it.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #27
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

wasn't it after a show in august?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #28
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Club View Post
The band pictured is not the band now. If that's still your band, then you probably shouldn't be here.
well that's just silly now

Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #29
Cool As Ice Cream

SFAS?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #30
Springbridge
Ownz