Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #5011
Ram27
dumb

just put it out on bandcamp and sell vinyls with a later shipping date. the same sickos who spend $500 on it will do so regardless

Old 02-03-2023, 05:30 AM   #5012
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

It probably means whatever label is putting it out has no real power when it comes to getting pressing plants to do stuff for them.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:05 AM   #5013
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
It probably means whatever label is putting it out has no real power when it comes to getting pressing plants to do stuff for them.
more realistically it means it just hasn't been sent to pressing yet.

I pre-ordered some albums on vinyl from an independent artist over a year ago. He then used the pre-order money to pay for the pressing, got the records pressed and is now sending them out. So yeah, it takes some time to get vinyl pressed but not this long. If an independent artist can get 3 records pressed in the space of a year then the almighty SP can surely get one album pressed in at least the same space of time.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:11 AM   #5014
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

It's the scarcity principle. It makes for a robust, steady and ultimately sustainable business.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #5015
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
more realistically it means it just hasn't been sent to pressing yet.

I pre-ordered some albums on vinyl from an independent artist over a year ago. He then used the pre-order money to pay for the pressing, got the records pressed and is now sending them out. So yeah, it takes some time to get vinyl pressed but not this long. If an independent artist can get 3 records pressed in the space of a year then the almighty SP can surely get one album pressed in at least the same space of time.
Yeah, but Machina would be a 4 to 6 LP album. That's probably much harder to do.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:14 AM   #5016
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Machina reissue is likely pushed back to the 30th anniversary now.

He’s started talking Zwan recently. So maybe by 2028 we’ll get a 25th anniversary Zwan set judging by how long it takes him to do anything but play with synths these days.

And then maybe we’ll get 40th anniv reissues of SD and MCIS.

And then we’ll all be old as fuck or die of global warming, close down the forum. RIP.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:18 AM   #5017
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's not important that it comes out as it is important for Billy to announce he's working on something.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #5018
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Yeah, but Machina would be a 4 to 6 LP album. That's probably much harder to do.
I think what's also complicating this is that Billy is insisting on printing one million copies for a first run

Old 02-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #5019
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
just put it out on bandcamp and sell vinyls with a later shipping date. the same sickos who spend $500 on it will do so regardless
I’ll gladly pre-order a Machina Box Set if he did this and made the digital files available immediately. But he knows if he does this, the carrot he can wave in front of us to keep us engaged goes away and then what is there to get excited about? 20th Anniversary of the 1/3 of Teargarden that was released?

Old 02-03-2023, 11:36 AM   #5020
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yet U2 announced the “Songs of Surrender” 4 LP box deluxe version last month and that’s shipping in March: https://shop.u2.com/products/songs-o...imited-edition

So either Billy is full of shit and this hasn’t even started the vinyl pressing process, or the label has so little pull that they can’t get a priority pressing. I think it’s the former, as even Boygenius who just announced their LP in January is also having March ship dates: https://boygenius.store/products/the...ited-edition-1

Old 02-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #5021
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Just looked up who Boygenius is and now i feel the urge to punch someone in the face

Old 02-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #5022
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

We don't need to talk about U2 or anyone elses 4LP box sets considering Zuzus is hawkin a 4x12" + 5x7" boxset of ATUM, and there's a "standard" 4LP box set widely available.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #5023
T&T
Socialphobic

obvs billy is fully of shit when it comes to the machina delays.

I'm sure he knows that once he puts it out, we're all just gonna pack it up and be done. the light interest is a better payoff than giving us machina...

Old 02-03-2023, 06:19 PM   #5024
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol at him still blaming the vinyl shortage, when every other artist has put stuff out on it just fine. Either he has absolutely zero knowledge of how the business works, or he’s covering for some embarrassing thing he doesn’t want to address… like Darcy mucking up royalty agreements or something.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:27 PM   #5025
Ram27
dumb

i'm not even waiting for it anymore. it'd be nice, but i'm just here to complain about new stuff and await any old concerts that surface

Old 02-03-2023, 06:34 PM   #5026
Rocket Launcher
Apocalyptic Poster

who really cares anymore..let billy continue to release shit material, the MII remasters can only shine compared to the present low

Old 02-04-2023, 01:11 AM   #5027
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Lol at him still blaming the vinyl shortage, when every other artist has put stuff out on it just fine. Either he has absolutely zero knowledge of how the business works, or he’s covering for some embarrassing thing he doesn’t want to address… like Darcy mucking up royalty agreements or something.
Or the record label has no interest in releasing a box set of an album that was considered a commercial disappointment when it came out, polarized many SP fans, and remains an album less known to the general public.

With Gish, Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie/TAFH, you had eras of the band that are still well regarded and beloved. With Adore, you had an album that did not sell as well when it was released, but has grown in esteem to the general public since 1998 and seemed ready for re-evaluation in 2014. Really, other than the songs on the Greatest Hits album, relatively few people remember Machina.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:45 AM   #5028
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I think the inclusion of M2 as a resequenced, mixed, ‘lost’ Smashing Pumpkins album would generate marketing buzz and attention from critics.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #5029
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

If by "attention from critics" you mean a 5.9 on Pitchdork and a *** on Rolling Stone yes absolutely

Old 02-04-2023, 08:44 AM   #5030
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 02-04-2023, 08:45 AM   #5031
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy Corgan is currently worth more than 60 million dollars apparently
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...gan-net-worth/

If he really wanted to put out the reissue out he could have it done anytime

Old 02-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #5032
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Last couple of tours have upped that from 50 million to 60 million. “Another round at the till” indeed. Wonder how accurate that amount is though. The wrasslin stuff has gotta be a big financial drain and I wonder if that company even generates any profit at all.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:15 AM   #5033
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Yet U2 announced the “Songs of Surrender” 4 LP box deluxe version last month and that’s shipping in March: https://shop.u2.com/products/songs-o...imited-edition

So either Billy is full of shit and this hasn’t even started the vinyl pressing process, or the label has so little pull that they can’t get a priority pressing. I think it’s the former, as even Boygenius who just announced their LP in January is also having March ship dates: https://boygenius.store/products/the...ited-edition-1
We can't compare U2's project to Machina. That one will obviously be a priority.

I've seen a few bands delaying albums and reissues because of the vinyl shortage.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:28 PM   #5034
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
We can't compare U2's project to Machina. That one will obviously be a priority.

I've seen a few bands delaying albums and reissues because of the vinyl shortage.

Fuck Tay Tay

Old 02-04-2023, 06:56 PM   #5035
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Technically there's are only really 4 different vinyl variations, and those 4 come as signed and unsigned. I've seen worse. Halsey's last album had way more variations than this. I think all these color variations are dumb to begin with.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #5036
Ram27
dumb

i bought a ticket for the mids tour because

- got caught in the hype

- never seen her before

- never seen a big proper pop artist stadium show before

- want to see phoebe bridgers open

- like the old songs and folklore

but T and phoebe both have been doing such blatantly gross capitalist shit since then that it's really putting me off. prices are like in the $800s for my shitty upper deck seat last i checked

Old 02-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #5037
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i bought a ticket for the mids tour because

- got caught in the hype

- never seen her before

- never seen a big proper pop artist stadium show before

- want to see phoebe bridgers open

- like the old songs and folklore

but T and phoebe both have been doing such blatantly gross capitalist shit since then that it's really putting me off. prices are like in the $800s for my shitty upper deck seat last i checked
Folklore is better than anything Billy has put out post-Zwan. I always hated Tay Tay but then Folklore pulled me in. Amazing what Aaron Dessner was able to do with her.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #5038
T&T
Socialphobic

I crossed this idea in another thread

but what if billy is putting off the Machina Reissue because he wants to do it "in house" with zuzu... obviously a cash grab 2 bit operation.

ugh, it's disappointing how long this is taking for make-em-up excuses. just put it out so we can go home.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #5039
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I crossed this idea in another thread

but what if billy is putting off the Machina Reissue because he wants to do it "in house" with zuzu... obviously a cash grab 2 bit operation.

ugh, it's disappointing how long this is taking for make-em-up excuses. just put it out so we can go home.
definitely he wants to do everything through Zuzu and his wrestling company

Old 02-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #5040
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Did he buy the catalogue back from Virgin? otherwise it'd be impossible for him to release the original masters through Lulu's. Wait maybe that's why he's been sitting on it.