Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Captain Bligh
Pledge

Location: My favorite Jew is Donald Fagen. My second favorite Jew is Jesus.
Default Two Autographs at a Record Store I go to

I have no idea what Smashing Pumpkins autographs should cost or if they are worth anything unless you go the autograph yourself but for some time now there has been two autographs available at a record store I frequent. No one ever goes in there so I'm not worried about them being sold. The owner of the store told me he gets 90% of all the autographs (there are about 6 box fulls). The one autograph is from the Gish era and I would believe it's real since it would have been much easier for someone to get their autographs then. The guy makes a nice little plastic sleeve with the album booklet and it has one of the older un-remastered Gish CDs. Billy signed his name on his face and James put two stars on his with the words "*I WIN*". This autograph costs 100 dollars. I felt like that was much.

The other autograph is from James's solo album. It costs about 45 dollars. Are both/none of these worth buying?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
trev
charm

To me personally i wouldn't pay anything more than maybe 5 or 10 dollars more for an autographed version of something if i didn't attain the autograph myself, to me that's the whole point.

BC sig is not rare at all, he still signs bucketloads of stuff where-ever he goes, on his TFE tour in australia hundreds of people got stuff signed after every show. That being said i'm sure billy is the most controlled in his giving of autographs, so the other members would probably be even easier once you get the opportunity. BC does get to the point where he says "i've gotta go now" and will just walk off through fans still waiting, but that's expected with his popularity.
When Iha toured with APC in Australia i got him to sign my LICD and be strong now promos. he didn't mind, others got him to sign SP stuff and he didnt' mind.

My friend has a gish signed and bought second hand from a store here in australia for only $40 Australian, not but i think the sigs were after 96, and it's probably a remastered pressing.

no way i'd pay 100 for a original gish signed, even if it was signed back in 91 or something, most i'd pay is $50 Australian. james solo album? i'd pay $35? $40? (Aus $). maybe.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Captain Bligh
Pledge

Location: My favorite Jew is Donald Fagen. My second favorite Jew is Jesus.

yeah I know what you mean about getting the autograph yourself. The personal value is much higher. I knew as soon as I heard the guy say it was 100 that it was way too much. He said that "full band" autographs cost 100 and more. That doesn't really pertain to this particular autograph because only really Billy's sig is on it. I'm sure I could negotiate a price with the guy though.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

if you're looking for opinions, i personaly have never purchased anything autographed other than that Arising poster and JCC's album....but those were priced the same as the normal items, just a limited edition sorta thing.

i have always felt autographs you receive yourself when meeting the band, whether persoalized or not, are more meaningful..and exceed their financial value in personal value. especially, like Not worth asking said, because there's no shortage of signing sessions. and i'm sure this will continue to grow with this whole "fan relationship" angle they are taking.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
if you're looking for opinions, i personaly have never purchased anything autographed other than that Arising poster and JCC's album....but those were priced the same as the normal items, just a limited edition sorta thing.

i have always felt autographs you receive yourself when meeting the band, whether persoalized or not, are more meaningful..and exceed their financial value in personal value. especially, like Not worth asking said, because there's no shortage of signing sessions. and i'm sure this will continue to grow with this whole "fan relationship" angle they are taking.

You're right, i would much rather have something signed in person.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Kahlo

i agree with Davin.. the chances of meeting the band are going to go up massively.. but with the new line up if you want a james/darcy/jc/bc sig it will cost a fortune..

Ronald Roesing pays you to give you an autograph i hear

Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I would never pay for an autograph. I doubt if I would even accept an autograph. I think not. What's the point?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
Kahlo

all the autographs I have are from meeting the people..it is a memento.. buying them seems a bit rubbish unless you can meet the person.. I think I have only ever bought one, and that was by (now ancient) scot's poet Edwin Morgan.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

memento shmemento

Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
luciddream33
Demi-God

I recently acquired a Harley-Davidson gas tank that was signed by Billy. I'll post a picture in a day or two if someone would like to see it. Billy's signature is not the only one on the tank.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
zsp77
Apocalyptic Poster

I've got a signed "I Am One" 7" and to be perfectly honest, I've got no problem with it, and in my opinion it makes the item way cooler. I'm not sure why you guys are so down on autographs.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

we're not down on them, we're just saying its better to get themselves rather than pay for them, especially when its so hard to define their actual value.

do you think the prices this guy told us about are fair?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #13
luciddream33
Demi-God

Here are the Harley gas tank photos:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6...ank1zq5.th.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8...ank2hj3.th.jpg