Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #91
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

When I think of 1998, a number of albums comes to mind:

Deserter's Songs
Moon Safari
Mezzanine
Ray of Light
Hello Nasty
Music Has The Right To Children
Up
Supposed Former etc etc
White Ladder
Three EPs
Psyence Fiction

Adore fits in with those I feel. Especially the more introspective ones like Deserter's Songs, Up, and even Ray Of Light. Which makes it "flopping" even harder to understand.

I guess people didn't want introspection from SP. Much like the way they didn't really want cocaine induced hubris from Oasis in 1997, when the Verve and Radiohead were doing their thing.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #92
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
But it didn't take the more casual fans long for their interest to shift elsewhere, and it was ultimately the beginning of the end of mainstream fandom. Since then, the fanbase has only gotten more and more niche. About a decade ago, even most of the burnouts moved on. I'm not sure how to describe current fans.
Something people don't think people consider in all these "not the biggest band in the world" analisys: people's drop off in interest. Many fans ARE just casual fans of music to begin with. I'm a music enthusiast and every year I fall in love with a dozen new albums. I'm hungry for it. I remember and know by heart close to 500 albums, and thousands of songs. I'm a musician, and have a repetoire of 4k songs by heart. singing along to something on the radio - must be 4x that. this is NOT the norm. but gernally... uh... people love, & simply just know a half dozen. (if not less) They just don't have the interest for more. that half dozen fills it's role - 100 various songs is 'too many". They don't NEED more new music. that adolecent "THIS IS MINE" when it comes to music is a critical part of many peoples development, but that void gets filled and people just dont' NEED more. They can keep going back to their SD & Nevermind. give it a few years and a new generation of vapid dumb teens comes along and they NEED theirs. they will never want something from a pervious age group, they need to have their own identity... bands get "old" and represent old ideas. In the music industry, bands get "old" really fast.
Selling millions of albums, lets be honest... 99% of those albums got sold to the average young dumb music consumer. it's an unsustainable model.
THe dream of selling millions of new albums, album after album - impossible. gaps between albums become bigger as bands get older.

U2 still sells a few million new albums (Actually, is this even true in the last decade?)... but I know for a fact that no one is actually listening to them. LOL

Old 01-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #93
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Tell us more about yourself

Old 01-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #94
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

That's cool, I guess... I have a repertoire of 4,001 songs, but I'm just built different

I agree, people who are not me know a total of six songs or fewer, and eat at McDonald's three times a day and only watch Big Bang Theory and believe in a magic sky wizard LOL, I could destroy anyone alive or dead in a debate using logic

Anyone buying an album this year is buying music for the first and last time in their lives, because everyone else on the planet already knows six songs

U2 paid to put this fake number in Spotify, LOL, I know it for a fact

Old 01-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #95
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I follow streaming numbers as a hobby and sort of a weird curious fascination. The U2 numbers just baffle me. Who the hell is listening to them? I travel all over the world, I was in the music industry for six solid years at a professional level, I've been in multiple (semi) successful bands that have toured the states a dozen times over, I am in numerous music discussion groups, host/been guests of popular musical podcasts, was a tour promoter, in literally hundreds of social media music groups across countless platforms and I have never ran into a person that was like "The U2 guy" or even admitted to being a fan.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #96
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

Old 01-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #97
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Exclamation

Old 01-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #98
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I have never ran into a person that was like "The U2 guy" or even admitted to being a fan.
Topleybird is. clearly I've hit a gutstring...

I'm sorry Topleybird, I'm sorry I insulted your favorite band (FYI, it's a canadian sorry... not a real "sorry", just a polite sorry)

I know some U2 fans. They can't actually distinguish between "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - but it's their favorite song.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #99
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Yes, what I found completely unhinged about your incel-redpill-narcissistic post was simply that you insulted my favorite band: U2

This board has been home to folks like TheOmegaConcern and Kimani Shorter, and I don't know if I've ever winced harder here than I did reading that

Old 01-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #100
T&T
Socialphobic

incel-redpill.
damn.
I didn't realize I was opppressing you to that point.

there's nothing offensive that most people consume music casually. wince away.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #101
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i like U2

mainly War & the 90s stuff, but still

Old 01-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #102
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I didn't realize I was opppressing you to that point.
Out of the "Flame Wars for Friendless Dummies" glossary, I think "triggering" would have worked a lot better here, but you seem to have a whole thing going, so, who am I to say

Quote:
there's nothing offensive that most people consume music casually.
Of course not. But when you say it in such a self-aggrandizing, school-shooter way, as though you're this rock-listening god-king who is benevolently choosing not to stomp on the mindless cockroaches populating the rest of the world, it comes off as psychotic

I'm not "offended" or upset, dude, I'm genuinely freaked out by how you view yourself and your fellow man

"adolecent," "new generation of vapid dumb teens," "average young dumb music consumer" — like, where is this anger coming from? Only you know how to appreciate music and more or less everybody else is a childish idiot. Sincerely, what happened to you? How would you describe your childhood? What is your relationship with your parents like? How many people would you consider friends today (people you like and respect, and who like and respect you back)?

Old 01-20-2022, 04:24 PM   #103
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I'm a musician
Are you Kyle Bobby Dunn, mang?

Old 01-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #104
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
i like U2

mainly War & the 90s stuff, but still
I concur, though I listen very little these days. I think you and I talked before about 'em, a year or so ago, and I popped in Zooropa. Maybe I'll throw on Achtung this week.

Incidentally, I feel really bad that Kenny dropped in with an actual insider's comment on what things were like at the time, and the thread just steamrolled right past. If he comes back to check in again, hoo boy, I'm sorry. Forget it, Kenny. It's just Netphoria.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #105
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
Are you Kyle Bobby Dunn, mang?
are you Long Duck Dong?

Old 01-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #106
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

& hey Ken!

Old 01-20-2022, 04:48 PM   #107
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
In hindsight, this is not really something I think the Joker would say and I would like to apologize; I got caught up in the excitement of creation

Also occurs to me this is similar to my "Have I met a Pumpkin? My dad went on a date with Peggy Fleming," just dialed up a hundredfold, so perhaps I simply fell victim to that old standby that you hate most in others what you hate most in yourself

Don't you shake alone
Please, Avery, come home

Old 01-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #108
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I got caught up in the excitement of creation
Just like will.i.am

Old 01-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #109
Shallowed
Braindead

Lightbulb

Quote:
I follow streaming numbers as a hobby and sort of a weird curious fascination. The U2 numbers just baffle me. Who the hell is listening to them? I travel all over the world, I was in the music industry for six solid years at a professional level, I've been in multiple (semi) successful bands that have toured the states a dozen times over, I am in numerous music discussion groups, host/been guests of popular musical podcasts, was a tour promoter, in literally hundreds of social media music groups across countless platforms and I have never ran into a person that was like "The U2 guy" or even admitted to being a fan.
OK Sex was talking to T&T, dumb fuck

Old 01-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #110
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
TheOmegaConcern
Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time. I wonder whatever became of them?

Quote:
Please, Avery, come home
I live here baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
OK Sex was talking to T&T, dumb fuck
My account is older than yours and I think that trumps post count. Can I get a consensus on this? Joey? T-Bird, OK SEX!

Old 01-21-2022, 02:34 AM   #111
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
are you Long Duck Dong?
Ok Sum Ting Wong here.

That guy is the Kyle without a doubt.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:38 AM   #112
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Lmao apparently nobody likes U2 these days, not even Bono.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:22 AM   #113
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
My account is older than yours and I think that trumps post count. Can I get a consensus on this? Joey? T-Bird, OK SEX!
let's see your penis

Old 01-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #114
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 01-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #115
Shallowed
Braindead

consensus achieved

Old 01-21-2022, 05:09 AM   #116
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's for a school project

Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #117
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Achtung Baby - Zooropa - Passengers - Pop is great U2. All That You Can't Leave Behind is good U2. Joshua Tree, YMMV. Anything else, inessential. Most recent album - complete rubbish.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #118
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Of course not. But when you say it in such a self-aggrandizing, school-shooter way, as though you're this rock-listening god-king who is benevolently choosing not to stomp on the mindless cockroaches populating the rest of the world, it comes off as psychotic
in my circle I consider myself at the bottem end of . I'm come from a classical milieu and a ton of my friends consider my tastes bland. "another I IV V" song. they're not wrong. I think about my brother that knows 10x more music than me, and you get a big whatever. mostof what I listen to today isn't even rock. The Fruit Bat cover of SD was really good. is that rock?
Quote:
I'm not "offended" or upset, dude, I'm genuinely freaked out by how you view yourself and your fellow man
that most people that bought MCIS are casual listeners? They liked the 'rat in a cage' song...

Quote:
"adolecent," "new generation of vapid dumb teens," "average young dumb music consumer" — like, where is this anger coming from? Only you know how to appreciate music and more or less everybody else is a childish idiot. Sincerely, what happened to you? How would you describe your childhood? What is your relationship with your parents like? How many people would you consider friends today (people you like and respect, and who like and respect you back)?
all the cool kids peaked in highschool. SD and MCIS were my highschool years. lets not pretend we (you) were the maturest of sprogs at that age. most teens are dumb. you don't need a traumatic youth to think this.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #119
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
people who hate Tales didn't have a bad enough childhood
I don't hate Tales, it's just the least enjoyable track for me on an album I love front to back, that's all

Also I don't subscribe to the idea that rock bands become inherently undesirable to younger fans as they age really works anymore; rock music is now a giant hodgepodge of "classic".

That was applicable when punk bands derided the likes of Pink Floyd for being old fogies. It's true kids want their own identity etc but I feel like anyone in high school getting into it now is digging through their dad's attic and finding his CDs.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #120
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Something people don't think people consider in all these "not the biggest band in the world" analisys: people's drop off in interest. Many fans ARE just casual fans of music to begin with. I'm a music enthusiast and every year I fall in love with a dozen new albums. I'm hungry for it. I remember and know by heart close to 500 albums, and thousands of songs. I'm a musician, and have a repetoire of 4k songs by heart. singing along to something on the radio - must be 4x that. this is NOT the norm. but gernally... uh... people love, & simply just know a half dozen. (if not less) They just don't have the interest for more. that half dozen fills it's role - 100 various songs is 'too many". They don't NEED more new music. that adolecent "THIS IS MINE" when it comes to music is a critical part of many peoples development, but that void gets filled and people just dont' NEED more. They can keep going back to their SD & Nevermind. give it a few years and a new generation of vapid dumb teens comes along and they NEED theirs. they will never want something from a pervious age group, they need to have their own identity... bands get "old" and represent old ideas. In the music industry, bands get "old" really fast.
Selling millions of albums, lets be honest... 99% of those albums got sold to the average young dumb music consumer. it's an unsustainable model.
THe dream of selling millions of new albums, album after album - impossible. gaps between albums become bigger as bands get older.

U2 still sells a few million new albums (Actually, is this even true in the last decade?)... but I know for a fact that no one is actually listening to them. LOL
I really do not know how to react to the fact that this manifesto/diatribe was posted on a fucking Smashing Pumpkins message board. I guess someone had to take the mantle after fuzzy got banned.