Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2021, 12:59 AM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Music streaming

does anyone else hate absolutely everything about music streaming?

why would i pay money and/or deal with ads demolishing the mood just so i can 'access my music everywhere' like, jesus, the iPod came out in 2001. also i can't access it everywhere because of digital content geolocks and needing an internet connection to stream and god knows what other horseshit rights management copyright software is packed in

why would i entrust my deepest feelings, memories, dreams, etc to fucking spotify? to some fucking tech-poisoned silicon valley dickhead?

not to mention the culture it creates around music as a sort of...semi-disposable, ephemeral thing. the /feel/ is off. the feel is very walled garden. it's like trying to have a nice meal in the dining court of a midwestern mall.

not to mention the absolute ease of storing audio files locally. with TV/films it's different, video is so bulky and compression becomes so obvious and you can get in the weeds easily. with audio -- 320kbps MP3s are basically fine; any other difference is basically the old acid trip 'set and setting' rule.

it's just....gross. gross is the adjective that comes to mind. it's wrong. it's anti-art.

if anyone has any corgan social media posts about this i would appreciate it as well.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #2
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
does anyone else hate absolutely everything about music streaming?
i don't

Quote:
why would i entrust my deepest feelings, memories, dreams, etc to fucking spotify? to some fucking tech-poisoned silicon valley dickhead?
spotify is swedish

Quote:
if anyone has any corgan social media posts about this i would appreciate it as well.
he whines about it on joe rogan's podcast, which, incidentally, you can find on spotify

Old 08-16-2021, 03:48 AM   #3
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
why would i pay money and/or deal with ads demolishing the mood just so i can 'access my music everywhere' like, jesus, the iPod came out in 2001. also i can't access it everywhere because of digital content geolocks and needing an internet connection to stream and god knows what other horseshit rights management copyright software is packed in
i pay for it willingly to remove ads, and so i don't have to like... buy cds. and rip them onto a laptop, which i'm guessing i would need to connect with a usb cd-drive that i'd need to buy? and then sync it with my phone. and spend time managing what to keep and what to remove when i run out of storage. that convenience is worth it for me

also, i've never run into geo-restrictions, where are you traveling to? japan, australia, mexico, iceland, and more have all worked fine for me.

and you can store the songs from spotify on your phone, playable with no internet connection, if you're paying

Quote:
not to mention the culture it creates around music as a sort of...semi-disposable, ephemeral thing. the /feel/ is off. the feel is very walled garden. it's like trying to have a nice meal in the dining court of a midwestern mall.
i mean.. ok? it seems like music is however you wish to perceive it. and you can buy physical stuff if you want to if streaming is too ephemeral, right?. do you feel the same way about movies and tv? do you prefer a dvd instead of netflix?

Quote:
not to mention the absolute ease of storing audio files locally. with TV/films it's different, video is so bulky and compression becomes so obvious and you can get in the weeds easily. with audio -- 320kbps MP3s are basically fine; any other difference is basically the old acid trip 'set and setting' rule.
so i mean i guess you can do that, if you want, but how is it easy unless you're buying digital downloads? do record companies sell digital downloads? if so, that's your path then, right? if not, it seems like the frustration on this should be with the record company and not music streaming

Quote:
it's just....gross. gross is the adjective that comes to mind. it's wrong. it's anti-art.
business and art are always in tension, this isn't new.

if your point is that $9.99/month in perpetuity is more money spent vs. buying physical CDs, with less income for the recording artists, that i think is accurate, at least in my case. i'm spending more than i otherwise would, while listening to more music than i otherwise would, and artists are making less from this spending.

that's an issue with what the record companies negotiate though right?

i'm not sure your main point was about the economics of it specifically, seems more of a general dislike of streaming as a format, but my view on the economics is they are not my problem. despite old man bill ranting for years about the ins and outs of the music industry, i don't care. it's not for me to get upset about. everyone is a willing participant in this system.

now, there are some artists i love, and i spend money to support them, seeing shows, buying a shirt, buying direct from them, open to other means as well like patreon and stuff, especially when it's obvious they're not a big name band. because of course the reality is that if the system is not working for smaller artists, then less music gets made because they can't afford to do it.

but it's not on me as the consumer to fret about the negotiated deals between two parties. i don't fret about what the guy who caught the fish that ultimately is served in a restaurant got paid, vs. what i paid for the dish. there are only so many things i can get riled up about or take on as a personal cause. funding science and related causes to innovate our way out of ruining our planet? i'm in. voting, getting vaccinated, etc.? yeah that feels like it matters to everyone's future. spending energy on music streaming not being ideal for everyone, not for me man.

[relatedly, are we upset about actor pay on netflix or whatever? i never even considered it, it's irrelevant to a viewer, and someone else's responsibility]

the format works great for me, i dig it. it causes me zero anxiety about it being "gross" or "anti-art" or whatever.

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 08-16-2021 at 04:03 AM.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Yeah I don’t participate in streaming whatsoever. Vinyl, CDs, FLAC downloads for me.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I get the the format works great for many people, but it's not a system I choose to sponsor. I do have a free account to make playlists for work so I guess I do sponsor it through ads.

whatcolor, read this article: https://pitchfork.com/features/article/8993-the-cloud/ . it's from 2012, but I don't think the situation has changed for the better at all.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

but it's not on me as the consumer to fret about the negotiated deals between two parties. i don't fret about what the guy who caught the fish that ultimately is served in a restaurant got paid, vs. what i paid for the dish. there are only so many things i can get riled up about or take on as a personal cause. funding science and related causes to innovate our way out of ruining our planet? i'm in. voting, getting vaccinated, etc.? yeah that feels like it matters to everyone's future. spending energy on music streaming not being ideal for everyone, not for me man.

I get this point though. you can't do everything in your life in a way that won't negatively affect others.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

as a consumer & creator though i don't have a problem with it. no offense but some of you are really embodying the "boomer" mentality here of not being able to embrace a modernized way of listening to/storing music - it's not outlandish to purchase physical music etc while still using something like spotify (which, by the way is still more advantageous to the artist then simply buying a CD or something & only listening to that over & over)

sure, more money could theoretically go to the artist, and the system of promoting/linking to merch could be waaay more user/indepedent-artist-friendly, but the system of purchasing merch, music, tickets & stuff like that from the artist while still listening regularly via apple music, spotify or whatever is kind of the best of both worlds

Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

also, the argument of something like this making music disposable is the same thing a lot of people were saying during the ipod/illegal-downloading era too. and honestly, it made more sense then

Old 08-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
Elphenor
Braindead

it is bad for new artists

pretty nice for consumers sometimes

music would be better if there were no internet and then life would be better too

What's a computah eat y'self fitter

Old 08-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #10
wHATcOLOR

another thing i like about spotify is how they make it effortless to learn about newly released music from artists you listen to. i wouldn't know about 80% of the new releases i listen to if i had to stay up to date on my own

Old 08-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
music would be better if there were no internet and then life would be better too
yeah this is really the ultimate truth at the heart of this thread. i find it quite amazing that no one's really talking about it, tbh.

anyway, regardless of the slick convenience of spotify and whatever, i definitely felt that it devalued the whole thing it was supposed to be about - music.

the whole experience is incredibly sterile. you type up any artist's name and their entire life's work comes up in a series of stupid little icons, just like that. it mortally robs everything of having any sense of significance. and it encourages a sort of certain listening experience that is not in depth. music as parcels on a treadmill. that's just not how i connect with music at all, but if it works for others, hey whatever i guess, have fun with it.

i mean, brutally raping listeners into listening to ads between songs? like, on what world is that ok? i can't think of a more blatant disrespect toward the end consumer. peak dark corporate mindset. they would've printed commercials between tracks on vinyls in the 60s too if they could have gotten away with it - and now they can.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 08-23-2021 at 05:19 AM.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yeah this is really the ultimate truth at the heart of this thread. i find it quite amazing that no one's really talking about it, tbh.
What the fuck are you two talking about? Do you know how many dozens of artists I've discovered and gave money to from all over the world who I never would have heard of if not for Spotify or reviews on the internet? Do you not get how much bands depend on the internet to build an audience?

Quote:
i mean, brutally raping listeners into listening to ads between songs? like, on what world is that ok? i can't think of a more blatant disrespect toward the end consumer. peak dark corporate mindset. they would've printed commercials between tracks on vinyls in the 60s too if they could have gotten away with it - and now they can.
Have you… have you fucking heard of the radio? The primary form of home entertainment for decades? Are you fucking kidding me? You think Spotify invented putting commercials between songs?

Old 08-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

look man i live an ad free lifestyle. whatever your ad is, you can get fucked by me and i don't wanna hear nothing about it.

i'm aware that i'm essentially a grumpy old man who hates the internet but the vibe of that thing just does not sit well with me, but if it works for other ppl that's cool.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #14
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Old 08-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #15
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

go home, your mom baked fish

Old 08-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I enjoy streaming

Old 08-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 08-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #18
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
go home, your mom baked fish
*you're

Old 08-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

*phish

Old 08-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 08-31-2021, 02:11 PM   #21
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 08-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #22
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 08-31-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 08-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #24
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 08-31-2021, 07:27 PM   #25
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 09-05-2021, 02:36 AM   #26
wHATcOLOR

i'm confused at some of the luddite sentiments here, on our internet message board. i don't think there's been one substantiated argument for what is bad about streaming, other than the economics for artists

so far we've got:

1- gripes about advertisements
2- making music disposable (??)
3- it's gross, it's wrong, it's anti-art
4- it is bad for new artists
5- it devalues music
6- it is incredibly sterile
7- you type in an artist's name and can access all of their work with small icons (not sure how this is a bad thing?)
8- it mortally robs music of having any sense of significance

counter-arguments/responses:
1- obviously, you can pay to remove the ads, that is how it works. or, if you don't want to pay anything and also don't want to listen to ads, i guess your main option is to steal music? radio has ads.. not sure what the actual gripe here is

2- what?

3- how so? what is unique about music streaming that makes these things true in your mind?

4- why? anyone can listen to a new artist's music, and no one has to buy a cd or something else first.

5- please say more.. i don't see how this is the case from the consumer's perspective. i pay $120/year, more than i would otherwise, and listen to more music, and enjoy it more than i would otherwise.. if it's from the artist's side of it, yeah. already wrote my response to that above

6- what do you mean by sterile? is this about preferring to hold a physical object and flip through the liner notes and stuff? that seems like an artifact of you/us growing up in a time when that was the only way it worked. i'm not sure there' sa valid argument that today's youth enjoy music less because they don't have that experience

7- ??? how is this bad?

8- aside from being very dramatic, i don't even understand what this means or how that would be the case

most of the arguments against it in this thread are barely coherent. i would love to understand if there is anything of substance behind the histrionics here. how specifically is this medium doing these supposedly terrible things in a way that previous mediums do not also do?

or do a set of us just like to complain and criticize as a matter of habit?

is this a zone of the internet where we just loathe change in general? what is the ideal form of music in your opinions?

this is honestly strange to me. would love it if someone would help me understand / engage in a discussion here

Old 09-06-2021, 03:30 AM   #27
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 09-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #28
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Cool

I have seen the argument, particularly about movies but it applies to music as well, that there used to be a thrill and some clout, as the kids say, about tracking down a difficult to find, VHS-only copy of some cult film from India that you finally found in a Japanese porno tape catalog you had to have a friend translate, and you ended up paying like $350 for the tape for some reason and it arrived eight months later in a box so beat to shit you had like a 30% chance of being able to play the tape, and if you did you'd see that it was like a tape of a tape of a tape of a live broadcast and you couldn't see or understand shit anyway

But you had it, you found it, and no one else did

And now you just torrent it as easily as you would the new Star Wars, because everything is available everywhere

I can see that being a bummer, of course, those were fun times, but it would be pretty bizarre, and against the spirit of the internet, if we didn't put an end to that and make sharing things infinitely easier, so it's pretty pointless to say this new era shouldn't have happened

Like, you know what I miss sometimes? Figuring out exactly how long a blank tape was, because it was never quite the number they gave on the package, and then picking songs for my mixtape that would best fill that time, figuring out how many seconds of blank space to put between them, etc., etc. so there weren't like three minutes of dead air at the end of each side. Probably most kids didn't bother doing this, but I thought it made things more fun

Do I think we should go back to that, though? Are you fucking kidding me? I recently sent my friend a Spotify playlist of shit from around the world that I never would have heard of a couple decades back, because they wouldn't have sold it in Newbury Comics or put it on the local college radio station. And it was easy as hell and I could send him twenty more mixes like that in the time it would have taken me to do one tape. Plus he's overseas and do you know what postal rates are like these days, sunny Jim? Miss me with that

Old 09-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #29
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Without the internet and streaming, I would have gone my entire life without hearing this song

And it would have been an empty fucking life full of an endless suffering I could never articulate or explain

Old 09-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #30
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I hate spotify

We have a family account that my husband set up and we get six profiles or whatever and I just refuse to use mine. At the moment two of my 16 year son’s teenage friends use two of them

Anyway Joanna newsom isn’t on spotify that tells you how shit it is