Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Default Are Electric Toothbrushes Worth it?

I currently have an electric toothbrush, but it's literally the cheapest one possible. (Well, not the cheapest… the actual cheapest one I ever bought was a Colgate one that didn't even have replacement heads, meaning it was disposable after the head wore down, defeating one of the most salient features of an electric toothbrush. I did not know this at the time that I purchased it.) It stopped spinning, and changing the batteries or head doesn't get it to work again, so I've just been using it as a manual toothbrush for the past little while.

I'm not about to drop dough on those fucking $200 toothbrushes, because at that point, it would probably be cheaper to just replace each of my teeth with stainless steel. But I might maybe buy a $40-$70 one if it has any real benefits over normal, non-motorized toothbrushes.

My problem is that none of the electric toothbrushes I've seen at the drugstore in this price range have the tongue cleaners on the back of the head, and I consider that an indispensable part of a good toothbrush. Simply using the bristles on my tongue just doesn't seem to do it the same way.

This makes me wonder if the more efficient tooth-scrubbing provided by an electric toothbrush really offers all that much benefit, when I could just get a plastic toothbrush with the tongue-cleaner on the back. Also, for a lot of the higher-end ones, the replacement heads are themselves more expensive than a manual toothbrush, so it's not like having a toothbrush base that will last me years even saves me all that much money.

What's your opinion?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Please note that I am only comparing toothbrushes on the metrics of oral hygiene, convenience, and cost-efficacy.

I am not interested in any potential benefits beyond this.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Yes. The difference in how clean your teeth feel is incomparable. It’s not quite as good as when u go and your dentist does that rubbery tickler in your face. But it’s close

Old 03-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also your breath smell will only improve, which will help your lovers to fall ever deeply into love with how your already astonishing breath smell had only improved

Old 03-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Rather than actually help with the question at hand, I'm going to go right ahead and pour some gasoline of confusion onto the already raging doubt-fire by mentioning the good things I've heard about water-based flossing devices.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I've heard good things about water-based flossing devices.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
cork_soaker
full of longing

how can one floss with water when it isn’t even string

Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
Shallowed
Braindead

why not just get a separate tongue cleaner?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
ovary
Ownz

see the thing most people don't get about brushing your teeth is that it's actually a big scam perpetuated by "big dental." i haven't brushed my teeth in six years and they're fine. all the women in my life tell me i have the sweetest, clearest breath of any young man with whom they've ever shared air. best of all, my tongue has reattained its natural skim coat of yellow film, a health-restoring substance most braindead residents of this plasticapitalist dystopia never have the pleasure of experiencing.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:41 AM   #10
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 03-05-2021, 03:11 AM   #11
run2pee
Minion of Satan

yeah get the tongue scraper/dam and let us know how clean it keeps your tongues

meanwhile invest in a good electric brush for fuck sake

this is your mouth, it's in your face of your god damn head, treat it how u would want to be treated

Old 03-05-2021, 03:51 AM   #12
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Yes.

I have the Philips Sonicare (c)

It's the best thing in the history of things. It tells me when I have to brush my teeth and when to do grocery shopping and the dishes. It yells at me and calls me names. It tells me I will never achieve anything in life. It tells me it wishes it had another owner. It wants me dead and will actively try to brush me to death while I sleep.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #13
run2pee
Minion of Satan

DK how often r we brushing here

Give us the landscape here in which to give counsel to you, here

Is it like morning/nite

Or are u doing extra lunch brushes

Also, u got sensitive fucken teeth, there, bro? Using sensodyne and all that? Let us know, cause this matters for the recommend

Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #14
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Please note that I am only comparing toothbrushes on the metrics of oral hygiene, convenience, and cost-efficacy.

I am not interested in any potential benefits beyond this.
What... are the other potential benefits? What do you know about electric toothbrushes that I don't?

Old 03-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #15
Alice
Minion of Satan

This thread has helped me realize I've been flossing wrong my entire flossing career so thanks for that. Been imitating the technique of one single dental hygienist probably that stuck in my brain and taught me poor form. On the one hand I'm glad I know and on the other hand it takes so much longer/more effort/more floss to do it correctly why can not one single thing just be easy I am so very tired and my sink is full of blood

Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Yes.

I have the Philips Sonicare (c)

It's the best thing in the history of things. It tells me when I have to brush my teeth and when to do grocery shopping and the dishes. It yells at me and calls me names. It tells me I will never achieve anything in life. It tells me it wishes it had another owner. It wants me dead and will actively try to brush me to death while I sleep.

My roommate has one of those. I don't think that the narrow bathroom-sink counter is large enough for each of us to have one. I may ask him to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I've heard good things about water-based flossing devices.
My other roommate has one of those. I don't think that the narrow bathroom-sink counter is large enough for each of us to have one. I may ask him to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
DK how often r we brushing here

Give us the landscape here in which to give counsel to you, here

Is it like morning/nite

Or are u doing extra lunch brushes

Also, u got sensitive fucken teeth, there, bro? Using sensodyne and all that? Let us know, cause this matters for the recommend
Just morning and night. Not after meals.

I never had sensitive teeth until I started using Sensodyne for a week because it just so happened to be the toothpaste in the bathroom. My teeth started aching after that.

My current theory is that Sensodyne causes sensitive teeth so that their customers will feel the need to continue to use Sensodyne. Remember those Sensodyne commercials with the man throwing the boomerang? "Brush with Sensodyne, but if you stop, the boomerang will just come back." I'm coming to realize that was a threat.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #17
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
why not just get a separate tongue cleaner?
I do have some. But the toothbrush-holder thing on the narrow bathroom counter is full of toothbrushes already. There's no room for a tongue scraper. I wouldn't want to put it directly on the counter, either. The scrapers remain in their package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice View Post
This thread has helped me realize I've been flossing wrong my entire flossing career so thanks for that. Been imitating the technique of one single dental hygienist probably that stuck in my brain and taught me poor form. On the one hand I'm glad I know and on the other hand it takes so much longer/more effort/more floss to do it correctly why can not one single thing just be easy I am so very tired and my sink is full of blood
I don't know what to believe or whom to trust about flossing anymore.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/dental-floss-1.3703798

Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #18
Alice
Minion of Satan

Yeah I've read about that as well but when it clearly removes debris that brushing doesn't I don't see how it can't be a positive thing? I found out I was doing it wrong when researching waterpiks and reading an article that claimed that most people do it wrong, which seems believable. So I wonder if that's an additional layer of the complexity preventing researchers from reaching a clear conclusion

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Alice
Minion of Satan

Also it feels good I don't care what the Dietary Guidelines For Americans says

Old 03-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

So you have tongue scrapers, but you don't use them because you can't store them within reach of the bathroom sink?

Old 03-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #21
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

I have one of the $50 Oral-B rechargeable toothbrushes that someone gave to me. I bought new heads for it online. There are plenty of off-brand heads that are cheaper than the actual Oral-B heads, although I haven't tried any of them. My teeth feel much cleaner when I use the electric brush vs. a manual toothbrush. I usually take a manual toothbrush when I travel, and my teeth feel kind of gross after a couple of days. I also use the electric to clean my tongue. It's not ideal, but it can be done.

I hope this post was helpful to you, Mr. Disco.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #22
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

(Don’t forget to like and subscribe.)

Old 03-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

u guys brush your teeth?

Old 03-06-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i was going to go with "you guys use electric toothbrushes?" but you clearly win.
well played.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #25
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
I have one of the $50 Oral-B rechargeable toothbrushes that someone gave to me. I bought new heads for it online. There are plenty of off-brand heads that are cheaper than the actual Oral-B heads, although I haven't tried any of them. My teeth feel much cleaner when I use the electric brush vs. a manual toothbrush. I usually take a manual toothbrush when I travel, and my teeth feel kind of gross after a couple of days. I also use the electric to clean my tongue. It's not ideal, but it can be done.

I hope this post was helpful to you, Mr. Disco.
I use Equate (Walmart) brand replacement heads, and they are fine. Definitely superior to a manual toothbrush. So yes, DK, it's worth the hype.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:57 AM   #26
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I used an electric tooth brush about ten years ago and eventually switched back because I felt my teeth were cleaner with manual brushing

But I think technique matters more than the brush - if you feel your teeth are cleaner with an electric brush, it might be that you didn’t have great technique

Old 03-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #27
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs down

If you felt that your teeth were cleaner with a manual brush, it might be that you didn’t have great electric toothbrush technique. Work on it.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #28
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I in fact

will not

Old 03-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #29
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I used an electric tooth brush about ten years ago and eventually switched back because I felt my teeth were cleaner with manual brushing
I think this occurs very rarely

Old 03-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #30
SuckSuckStyle
Socialphobic

Location: you look like you like to hang out. you look like you like to hang out and drink soda

Put it in your butt.