Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Default New interview: Corgan on the Best Advice podcast.

https://artists.spotify.com/blog/lis...pumpkins-billy

Old 05-25-2021, 01:54 AM   #2
jet set willy
Demi-God

Anything juicy? Not gonna listen

Old 05-25-2021, 02:04 AM   #3
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

was decent for a while but then insecurity set in the last quarter and I had to turn it off due to the self aggrandizement

Old 05-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #4
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

this is everything you need to know about BPC/SP in 2021. fans wised up and realize the only thing that will come from an interview is whining, complaining, taking too much credit, not being graceful, talking in riddles, promising some project he'll never deliver, hyping up wrestling and/or tea, or undeservedly comparing himself to other legendary acts.

no humility, no laughter, no one care

Old 05-26-2021, 07:13 PM   #5
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

ps, the lack of interest makes me smile

Old 05-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

It does kinda suck that Billy is either too insecure or too oblivious to realize what's great about SP and why people gravitated towards the band in the first place. I can't speak for anyone but me, but whenever he starts saying stuff like, people want to see the best in the world do what they do, he's made it to some small percentile to play in front of x amount of people, somehow comparing himself to sports and athletes which he really knows nothing about, being a savant, I just feel that he completely misses the point. While his music and his band is all time great, and can easily go against anyone else's, ultimately the pumpkins are great because they aren't larger than life characters. I feel like I could've gone to high school with them. Sorry, but Billy is not like Neil or Eddy, while they certainly don't accomplish this with every song, they do seem like they have a divine hand on their shoulder. I have no idea how Eddy Vedder came up with elderly woman, that does seem like magic to me in a lot of ways. Billy on the other hand I feel like is always working his ass off for it, even songs like tonight, tonight or 1979. Sure, he definitely has an aptitude for music, but you can feel the work and energy put into those songs and that doesn't make those songs any less special. Billy has talent, but I don't think he's a genius or a savant, I just think he pushed the talent he had with his drive, his sincerity, his bandmates, and made some all time great material. That is ultimately one of the things that makes the band special.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I have no idea how Eddy Vedder came up inside an elderly woman, that does seem like magic to me in a lot of ways

Old 05-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
It does kinda suck that Billy is either too insecure or too oblivious to realize what's great about SP and why people gravitated towards the band in the first place. I can't speak for anyone but me, but whenever he starts saying stuff like, people want to see the best in the world do what they do, he's made it to some small percentile to play in front of x amount of people, somehow comparing himself to sports and athletes which he really knows nothing about, being a savant, I just feel that he completely misses the point.
Michael Jordan was the best basketball player on the planet in the 1990s. He isn't anymore, and it is impossible for him to be now.

If Billy could understand that about the Smashing Pumpkins, we'd all be in a better place.

Once you get to the point where someone could state "he's more annoying than Bono" and it at least has to be considered, you need to take a step back, and literally fuck your own face

Old 05-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
Michael Jordan was the best basketball player on the planet in the 1990s. He isn't anymore, and it is impossible for him to be now.

If Billy could understand that about the Smashing Pumpkins, we'd all be in a better place.

Once you get to the point where someone could state "he's more annoying than Bono" and it at least has to be considered, you need to take a step back, and literally fuck your own face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Corgan
When I can, I will

Old 05-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #10
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I actually lean on the side that thinks Billy is a genius, savant, call it what you will. I even think some of his newer material is still pretty strong musically at its core. The choices he makes around that is what has gone off the rails. Like Cyr could have a lot of potential with all of its interesting bits condensed into ten songs and produced with real guitars and drums.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I actually lean on the side that thinks Billy is a genius, savant, call it what you will. I even think some of his newer material is still pretty strong musically at its core. The choices he makes around that is what has gone off the rails. Like Cyr could have a lot of potential with all of its interesting bits condensed into ten songs and produced with real guitars and drums.
I liked Cyr and actually thought it accomplished a lot of what it wanted to. SP has always been and probably will always be my favorite, but for whatever reason I don't think Billy qualifies for genius/savant status. I actually think that makes the music better at the end of the day.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Cyr was a few poor decisions away from being the best SP album Billy put out since the early 00’s.

I still really like it tbf. It has bad moments but it’s nowhere near a bad album.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Billy Corgan is on the cusp of being a musical genius, just below that level. His musical IQ is exactly 132. I measured it by listening to the Machina acoustic demos.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Billy Corgan is on the cusp of being a musical genius, just below that level. His musical IQ is exactly 132. I measured it by listening to the Machina acoustic demos.
[David Puddy] "Feels like a 132. " [/Puddy]

Old 05-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
It does kinda suck that Billy is either too insecure or too oblivious to realize what's great about SP and why people gravitated towards the band in the first place. I can't speak for anyone but me, but whenever he starts saying stuff like, people want to see the best in the world do what they do, he's made it to some small percentile to play in front of x amount of people, somehow comparing himself to sports and athletes which he really knows nothing about, being a savant, I just feel that he completely misses the point. While his music and his band is all time great, and can easily go against anyone else's, ultimately the pumpkins are great because they aren't larger than life characters. I feel like I could've gone to high school with them. Sorry, but Billy is not like Neil or Eddy, while they certainly don't accomplish this with every song, they do seem like they have a divine hand on their shoulder. I have no idea how Eddy Vedder came up with elderly woman, that does seem like magic to me in a lot of ways. Billy on the other hand I feel like is always working his ass off for it, even songs like tonight, tonight or 1979. Sure, he definitely has an aptitude for music, but you can feel the work and energy put into those songs and that doesn't make those songs any less special. Billy has talent, but I don't think he's a genius or a savant, I just think he pushed the talent he had with his drive, his sincerity, his bandmates, and made some all time great material. That is ultimately one of the things that makes the band special.
lol holy shit never reading this