Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #61
slunken
Virgo

i'm kind of in the market for another guitar as well. i want to find one of those danelectro reissues from the 90s with the really large necks. everytime one pops up on craigslist i sit on it and then it disappears. @$200

Old 02-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #62
noyen
Immortal

those kits do look fun. ive looked at lots of those but the time to put in before i can actually play it would be forever. i'd have to stop using the interwebs. but i think eventually i'll go for one of those kits because i do enjoy the woodworking/polish/finishing and all that stuff too.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #63
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I'm anti branding too. Well what i mean is...there's so many people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of cash to get brand names when sometimes the difference is so slight in quality. Or they're not serious enough about music or play well enough that it should really make a difference (id probably have to ******* myself in those). I mean they don't realise that PART of the reason for the much higher price IS the brand name. Like a 800$ Gibson is rarely twice as good as a 400$ Epiphone. You have to factor the brand into the price. Personally ill play anything, any knockoff bullshit, if it sounds and plays alright to my ears. I don't care about the brand. But for some it's like, if it doesn't say fender or gibson they won't be seen with it...
its mostly idol emulation imo

Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #64
slunken
Virgo

my dream guitar right now is a gibson sg with a trem arm

Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

in the pocket for sure

Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #66
noyen
Immortal

that is pretty hot. always loved the sg design and with a trem looks even more badass.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #67
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

My newest axe is a Mexican Strat, sort of powder blue I guess, not sure about the year. It needs to have the pickups yanked and the guts replaced, but it plays like a champ. I don't have an amp right now, so it's not really an issue.

I also have my Ibanez Gio Gax70 which I've had for years.

And my prize possession, my Takimine acoustic nylon string, which my Dad bought my Mom in 1973.
Thing sounds gorgeous.

I've had more guitars in my life, but they have all been sold or traded.

I don't have any pedals left either, but I used to have a Big Muff, a Crybaby Wah, and also a Phaser pedal, I forget which brand.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #68
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
its mostly idol emulation imo
yup

Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #69
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I had an Epiphone EB-3 bass as seen in one of those pics on the last page. I sold it. I mean it's a SG body on bass. It sucked. It had horrible neck dive because the neck is heavier than the body and i hear the SG is the same way. You need a good strap. For the bass id have needed a weighed strap actually. If you didn't hold it, the neck would hit the floor. But that wasn't my only issue with it.

I'm sure the SG is a fine sounding guiter otherwise as can be obviously heard on many records... but yeah, unbalancedtoo apparently.

I used to be into Gibson basses look wise then i learned that basically, neck dive is a thing with the vast majority of their basses and a few of their guitars. It's like a defining feature of a gibson i guess...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #70
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Every Epiphone I've ever played was guilty of having a ginormous clumsy neck.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #71
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Guys, I'm not kidding I had a mini flying V when I was a kid.

I so wish I still had that thing.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #72
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Every Epiphone I've ever played was guilty of having a ginormous clumsy neck.
Weird because actually, the Epi bass i sold had one good thing about it, its neck (i mean too heavy yeah but otherwise). It was very comfortable. I hated the tone but its just because it' supposed to sound like a late 60's bass. Muddy as shit.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 02-09-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 AM   #73
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i got an epiphone from my cousin a while back & the only thing wrong with it was the loose tuning pegs, great-soundin guitar

my main one's a strat, gotta get that damn nut fixed though after a guy i took it to tried setting it up like an LG or something - that's not the stratty way! feels like paper now

Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #74
bobliefeld
Pledge

Last month I treated my self to an ESP LTD ec1000vb. It's got active EMG pickups. Bought it because it's pretty. Actually it's really lovely, such a nice & easy guitar to play.

EMGs have a bit of a bad rep though.."no character". and my amp is a 5150 which isn't great for cleans. For heavy stuff it's amazing but clean, especially the bridge pickup, it can sound really strange almost like a synth.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #75
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

hey a gear thread!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #76
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i just traded a 7 string reminder of my metal days for an epiphone es 335
got a classic '57 at the bridge. it's surprisingly good

Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #77
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

fuck you for that beautiful gretsch teb i want a gretsch so bad

Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #78
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

my most cherished guitar is actually a 87 SG that i want to put a bigsby on

slunken have you had any experience with vibramate

Old 02-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #79
slunken
Virgo

no i don't know much about wang bars, only historical info.

i mentioned before i really want an sg with trem. i would accept either a danelectro reissue (with the the wide neck - sounds more like a les paul) or an off-brand 70s japanese model would be ideal. as long as it has a bar.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #80
slunken
Virgo

sg's are too expensive and 70s supermarket guitars are unreliable i'll probably just try to get danelectro. if you really like a les paul sounding guitar that has amazing pick response (chime, twang, growl) those 90s reissues can't be beat for the money. like $250 top dollar. i like them because they have thick necks like a hollowbody and the body is nice and weighty too for deep sustain. amazing sound.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #81
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
fuck you for that beautiful gretsch teb i want a gretsch so bad
the worst is i barely use it. I haven't in many months now anyway. It's not quite the sound i'd like, but since it's inherited, i'm never selling it. I will find a use for it yet at some point anyway.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #82
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
the worst is i barely use it. I haven't in many months now anyway. It's not quite the sound i'd like, but since it's inherited, i'm never selling it. I will find a use for it yet at some point anyway.
do you find that, even if you've cleaned it after you last played it, that it oxidizes in the case? i would pull mine out after even a few weeks and the whole fucking thing would be wrecked. oxidized chrome. gross strings.

maybe it was just me. i sweat a LOT when i play. it was like driving a classic caddy through the mud.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #83
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

perhaps it's a humidity situation?
it's pretty dry where i live so i don't get that

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #84
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

try wiping off the strings and make sure the guitar doesn't lie there for a few weeks with wrecked strings

Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #85
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
no i don't know much about wang bars, only historical info.

i mentioned before i really want an sg with trem. i would accept either a danelectro reissue (with the the wide neck - sounds more like a les paul) or an off-brand 70s japanese model would be ideal. as long as it has a bar.
it's kind of a shame, i came across a few just like those in the past month
they're local auctions though so i'm not sure you\the sellers would be bothered

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #86
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

yeah i dotn ahve that problem. However....i stringed this guitar only once so far and HOLY SHIT, an exercize in frustration. First time with a bigsby bridge. You kinda ideally need two people... I want to have to restring this as least often as possible.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #87
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i never had to do this because i don't own a bigsby guitar
what's so frustrating about it

Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #88
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

YES.

Glad to know i'm not just a retard. Cause i was like...maybe i am a retard and don't understand the proper procedure to string this? I mean it did get a little better towards the end but still.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #89
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

YES.

Glad to know i'm not just a retard. Cause i was like...maybe i am a retard and don't understand the proper procedure to string this? I mean it did get a little better towards the end but still.
Bend the bottom part about 45 degrees before putting it on the post

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #90
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

yeah i tried that after the first one. It helps but doesn't keep it from happening.

I basically stringed it with one hand on the bridge and one hand on the head. very uncomfortable.

Ive been wondering about using the blue gum thing used to put posters on walls. put ball end on post, stick some blue gum over ball end and post, then remove gum after.